Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

DeVore wrote: »
    This has to go down as the most exhausting, intense, emotional, confusing, brilliant year of my life.

In answer to your question, yes, I'm definitely better, much better than before, but it took cracking a few eggs to even start making the omelette. Funny, this thread has given me so much more back that its been part of that journey :)
    There have been ups and downs (I had to really struggle a few weekends ago not to just give up and climb into bed) but I'm developing tools to handle those times now and I'm glad to say I managed. :)

The good news is that I'm a lot more at peace with myself and the world now. I dunno if I would say I'm content but I can control the whirlwind a little more and feel the joy in simple things I never did before. Its a process though... mental cleanliness is like physical cleanliness, you have to maintain it or you develop all sorts of nasty stuff. :)

Good stuff DeVore I find anything that happens fast is too good and to unstable to be true. Sorry to hear you were down a few weeks back. Its a horrible feeling. I found it hard to go into college this morning tbh but Im feeling grand now. This thread is a good ice breaker for people to open up about things so thanks for that.

For me my measure of improvment sounds similar to yours. I recover faster from the downs and the down are not as deep as before if that makes sense. Meditation has been my friend lately (and this thread). Anyway glad to hear your doing better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Is it possible to have depression and become so used to feeling down that you think its normal?

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Is it possible to have depression and become so used to feeling down that you think its normal?

Well I have been there to be honest. There came a point though where I said to myself "this isnt good enough I deserve better". Then I got help or tryed to figure out what was making me depressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well I have been there to be honest. There came a point though where I said to myself "this isnt good enough I deserve better". Then I got help or tryed to figure out what was making me depressed.

I mean like,can someone become depressed,not do anything about it and over the course of time just adapt to that feeling and think they are normal,even though they are depressed.

I mean like,can someone become depressed,not do anything about it and over the course of time just adapt to that feeling and think they are normal,even though they are depressed.

Well thats an intelligent way of looking at it. Im not sure to be honest I have spent long periods being unhappy and as a result my behaviour was modified in response. During those long periods there was times when I was in denial and tried to blot out what I was feeling but those times didnt last long.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, I think thats possible. In the OP I said that sometimes I can look back on a time and realise that I had convinced myself that what I was feeling was really "true" (that I was worthless, everything was going to go horribly wrong etc) and then everything ELSE was delusion (hope, fortune etc).

I think there is a low level feeling of numbness and despair which you can find yourself simply trudging through and life becomes very monotonous but not so severe that you cant trudge on. Talk to a counselor and pretty quickly they will be able to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Drumpot wrote: »
    Hey All, please see attached for those who may feel it might interest them .

http://www.aware.ie/help/education/awares_life_skills_programme/

I have signed up for it and am not sure what to expect, but am willing to try if it might help!

I know someone who this would be perfect for that I was only thinking of today and how to help them. Thanks a million for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I've read a bit on this over the years, and often people seem to say that they are completely unrelated and self harming has a lot to do with control over your own life.
    Anyway, without going into too much detail, my friend who has been suffering with depression I noticed has been self harming now too.
    I didn't let them realise I had noticed this, but it was blatant.
    There's a lot of other things going on too but I have a bad feeling. Very bad actually.
    The more I think of it the more worrying the whole thing seems.

I wouldn't necessarily say that self-harm has a lot to do with control. It could be something different for every person who does it. Has your friend ever spoken to you about how they are feeling, because perhaps you could broach the subject with them? Look up Pieta House too, it's an incredible service and I'm sure they could even advise you on what to do in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Novella wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily say that self-harm has a lot to do with control. It could be something different for every person who does it. Has your friend ever spoken to you about how they are feeling, because perhaps you could broach the subject with them? Look up Pieta House too, it's an incredible service and I'm sure they could even advise you on what to do in this situation.

Self-harming was definitely a control method with me. It meant I could let my feelings out in manageable, measured doses. It's not the same for everyone but that's what it was for me.

Giant +1 on Pieta House. They were life-saving to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

reading karl jung really helped me with my depression. learning more about the source helped with me deal with it better and helped me gain more self confidence along the way. for me it never goes away but i can manage it so it does'nt affect my life as much.

Can you recommend anything from Jung in particular?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Updated the first post with the link...

Btw, it barely matters whats in that course, your attitude of "I'm willing to try something to make myself better"... thats whats going to make the difference. Dont let that go, dont ever let that slip away :)
    Millicent wrote: »
    I know someone who this would be perfect for that I was only thinking of today and how to help them. Thanks a million for this.

Thanks guys . .

I will try to keep you posted on how it goes (at least for me anyways) . . Differant strokes for differant folks, but as Devore said, you have to want to "get better" to get the true benefits of whatever it is you are trying to fix yourself!

Really looking forward to it if Im honest . .

Does anybody know what the differance is between seeing a councellor or a psychiatrist ?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

They're spelled and pronounced differently? :)

Nah, I dunno if there is a difference. There probably is in terms of qualifications (and there are probably dozens of Psychologist aghast at me right now) but I would hazard a guess that the bad psychologists are much worse than the good counselors. If you arent talking to anyone, then either will do for a good start :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I am terrified of going back to the doctor. Absolutely terrified.

The past few weeks ive been trying to keep my mind of things by doing things. This week it has hit me like a tonne of bricks! And worst still i have been a bit secretive about it (again). So i kept bottling it up and now its just really getting me down.

I don't want to go to the doctor, i really dont. I don't want to be put on tablets, i want to be dependent on them. I would rather do more things to keep my mind off things. I know if i go back, he will put me on something and i dont want that. Im not saying there is something wrong with them, far from it. Personally i dont want to be on them.

I just wish this serious bout would fcuk right off! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hazarding a guess here:
    A three day course can make you a counsellor, or they could just be priest or volunteer with some form of "experience", but to be a psychologist usually requires a degree of sorts. To have your own practice probably requires even more.

A psychiatrist can prescribe medication. I think there's also subtle differences in how they tackle the problem. Psychiatrists take a more empirical based medicine view with mental practices. Whereas psychologists tend to focus more exclusively on the mind and some can include more spiritual elements.

Jernal wrote: »
    Hazarding a guess here:
    A three day course can make you a counsellor, or they could just be priest or volunteer with some form of "experience", but to be a psychologist usually requires a degree of sorts. To have your own practice probably requires even more.

A psychiatrist can prescribe medication. I think there's also subtle differences in how they tackle the problem. Psychiatrists take a more empirical based medicine view with mental practices. Whereas psychologists tend to focus more exclusively on the mind and some can include more spiritual elements.

Another level to consider . . Psychologist or Psychiatrist . . I would prob start with a psychologist to try non drug methods of getting better, but Im not averse to taking tablets if they help!

PF, I used to do that too, furious ignore the hell out of it and fill my time and mind with as many other things as possible. Its like ignoring a dirty plate because you dont want to wash it... pretty soon its growing mould and an unpleasant job has become a rank one!

What I'm finding works for me now is OLGA (Observe, Let go, Attend). Observe that you are feeling down, bad, whatever and try and see/feel the source of it. I was really annoyed with a friend a while ago and I was frying some fish for dinner, determined to keep from feeling down about a row we had had. I swear you never saw a poor fish get as savage a frying as that :)
    Eventually I had to sit down and go through it, observe how hurt and angry I was and then let go of it as having been "processed" in a healthy manner (not lingering on it, or wallowing in it). Then I attended to the fish again. :)

I hate when I bottle stuff up because it feels like a backwards step (which it kinda is)... so dont let your desire not to go on drugs stop you from going to the doctor. Any doc worth his salt will take your desires into consideration. Drugs can be effective, but there are other treatments too. Good luck and posting here is a good sign you are willing to deal with this so I hope everything works out great for you :)

PF, I used to do that too, furious ignore the hell out of it and fill my time and mind with as many other things as possible. Its like ignoring a dirty plate because you dont want to wash it... pretty soon its growing mould and an unpleasant job has become a rank one!

What I'm finding works for me now is OLGA (Observe, Let go, Attend). Observe that you are feeling down, bad, whatever and try and see/feel the source of it. I was really annoyed with a friend a while ago and I was frying some fish for dinner, determined to keep from feeling down about a row we had had. I swear you never saw a poor fish get as savage a frying as that :)
    Eventually I had to sit down and go through it, observe how hurt and angry I was and then let go of it as having been "processed" in a healthy manner (not lingering on it, or wallowing in it). Then I attended to the fish again. :)

I hate when I bottle stuff up because it feels like a backwards step (which it kinda is)... so dont let your desire not to go on drugs stop you from going to the doctor. Any doc worth his salt will take your desires into consideration. Drugs can be effective, but there are other treatments too. Good luck and posting here is a good sign you are willing to deal with this so I hope everything works out great for you :)

Yeh, I try something similar.

Accepting that something bad has happened (to upset you), awknowledge that it upsets you and allow yourself to "mourn" or resolve that pain or conflict!

It doesn't matter how trivial you or anybody else might think your reasons are, the most important thing is that it was enough to effect how you feel. Feelings are real to the person going through them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Having a bad day today, lot of stuff running around my mind that whilst happened a long time ago was still not trivial and still I can't stop it running through my head and upsetting me, wishing I'd reacted differently
    Does anyone get this with their depression like flashbacks or painful memories
    that resurface?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

godeas16 wrote: »
    Having a bad day today, lot of stuff running around my mind that whilst happened a long time ago was still not trivial and still I can't stop it running through my head and upsetting me, wishing I'd reacted differently
    Does anyone get this with their depression like flashbacks or painful memories
    that resurface?

Yup, get that a lot. Stupid little things that shouldn't bother you but do, coming back to annoy you. Getting this more than usual today as well. Tis a day for tea and bed.
    --
    Went out very depressed on Thursday and got way more drunk and high than I should have. Of course that's made things worse and I still haven't recovered. Not a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Just a general question to people with depression here:

How do you guys find counselling? I went to a counsellor before, but I didn't find it very helpful, to be honest. I had six session and I just didn't feel like I could open up, didn't feel comfortable talking to a complete stranger about anything really and also found it difficult to actually pinpoint exactly what it is that makes me feel unhappy. I think she thought I probably had nothing wrong with me at all given I just sat there, unable to articulate anything that I felt and not even feeling comfortable enough to try. I've found myself just dealing with it all on my own because I don't like to talk about it. How are others with counsellors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

I have been doing really well for ages but all of a sudden its like i have a hippo sitting on my shoulders and i can't shake it off. I have had a couple of spells in the last few years but this is the first time i have had it this bad.

Last year when i posted on this thread i was also going through a bad patch and i was struggling to talk to anyone. At the time i didn't - i distracted myself, christmas came, i had my family around me, my job issues settled down and i started to feel better.

Last week i was driving home from work and it hit me, and i had to pull over and i just started crying my eyes out. It wasn't the first time, it normally happens when i'm at home at night and i start thinking. It doesn't happen at work or the gym, i put on a front and keep it inside.
    Its been building for a couple of weeks. I am irritable, snapping at people for no reason, pushing people away and feel like i am just existing. This time it feels worse, much worse and again i cant bring myself to talk to anyone.

Last thursday i tried to talk to a friend, tell her what was going on but i couldn't do it. My brain was shouting but all i could tell her was i felt a bit down and i just needed to snap out of it. Shes a great person and i could tell her anything and i know she'd be cool about it so why can't i find the words? The fact i cant talk makes me feel worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I have been reading the messages there about the OLGA and its the letting go that I just find so difficult to do. I know I am ver sensitive and analysis things that dont even register with most people..................it can be just so difficult

molly09 wrote: »
    I have been reading the messages there about the OLGA and its the letting go that I just find so difficult to do. I know I am ver sensitive and analysis things that dont even register with most people..................it can be just so difficult
    I find I have to "actively ignore" it. As soon as my mind wanders back to the issue, I have to be vigilant and actively say to myself "right, we're not going there!" immediately. Right at the start. Like a schoolteacher, brook no argument or prevarication, thats it, no more discussion about it. :)
    I'm not saying that I suppress my feelings, this is only effective after "observe"... that is, let your conscious mind recognise that you are hurt, or lonely or down. Give it its due time .... but no more. When I have observed it and worked through it, then I have to put it behind me and not wallow in it.

Hope this works for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

will give it a shot....................really trying to avoid tablets for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Had a bad set back today out of nowhere...don't know how long I can do this anymore. :(

I'm supposed to be heading away this Summer with friends...while I'm living at home I have my own space to go off and cry or whatever...not sure if I'm gonna be able to do that sharing a room with somebody.
    Snowie wrote: »
    being honest i know this sounds mad but maybe thats just what you need...
    when i was away there was always something going on i just never had time :)

seriously it could be a welcomed break may give you a fresh perspective on things..
    Yeah that's a good point. And this is the first thing I've been excited about in a long time so hopefully it will do me some good.

Another part of my depression is that I find it very difficult to meet gay/bisexual girls in Dublin so hopefully with a bigger city I'll meet some new people and finally get rid of this loneliness, if even temporarily. It's also sort of forcing me to come out to my friends who will be over there with me, which I know I should've done ages ago because they're not exactly homophobic so I guess that little push will do me good.

Just don't want to have to deal with coming out to them and then also having to tell them about my depression, if they find me curled up in the foetal position crying my ass off one afternoon :pac:

So these were my posts from a few months ago. Turned out Snowie was right. I had the most amazing Summer away, I forgot that it was possible to feel happy. I came out to a good group of my friends and they were all brilliant. I lived with so many people that I didn't have time to be bored or depressed or lonely. Sure, I had my moments and depression never fully went away but my quality of life improved hugely.

Unfortunately, now that I'm back I can feel me slipping back into depression. I really think that the cure for me lies in being surrounded by people all the time but that's just not a realistic or healthy way to be. Of course, it's good to be sociable but I shouldn't have to rely on others to be happy :confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Well,

I tried to end it all a couple of times just after finishing school, once by an overdose and once by attempting to shoot myself with a double barreled shotgun, but I pulled the wrong trigger and the wrong barrel fired as I only had one cartridge in in. That subsequent click turned out to be the loudest sound I have ever heard in my life. My Depression stemmed from years of bullying as I was The Nerd in the class...the guy who played the piano instead of playing sport etc.

Then, when I left school and was facing the enormous pressure upon me to do well in College together with the pressure of trying to fit in, I cracked.

My mother, in her wisdom promptly sent me to a Counciller friend of hers, under duress I might add. It was, for me, a great move as it enabled me to lift "the fog" that was constantly before my eyes and look inwardly upon myself. You see, I had no self worth and no self esteem....bad traits for a musician I hear you say...but nontheless that is why I had picked music. I needed to be loved, and playing music for people was a way for me to think that they loved me when they applauded.

Now i look and treat the music differently. i have a unique and creative talent that enebles me to channel my feelings through a creative medium. Now, its therapy for me, but by Jesus its har work as it takes that insurmountable wall to climb in order to get it done....MOTIVATION!!

Im crap at motivating myself, so I have to set some seemingly Impossible goals in order for me to write songs, or get gigs. But it works for me.
    I believe that it is being creative that we help channel our feelings to another place and help to let them go.

Just a thought,

P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Hi guys, from a positive message I wrote on the last page, to a now very negative one. What must come up must come down I suppose.

I'm beginning to realise that my only option is that I may have to live life like a loner, as its all I can do, its that realisation that is hard to accept but maybe necessary, but obviously I got really down again tonight, so I ended up ringing a 24 hour counselling service....and yes I blubbed my eyes out....she calmed me down though and did a very good job.

I suppose changing my self worth is the key thing, but when you feel the world doesn't like you, that reality still very difficult to live with, no matter what other goals you set. I have a therapy session tomorrow hopefully I can get through it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Hi again guys, this time this is going to be a positive post, so please bare with me, despite all my crying and extreme depression last night, I have just thought of something.

One of the things I have not yet learned or acquired for when things go badly wrong, i.e. when the sh!t hits the fan like last night, and like it has done lots of times in the past 4-5 months with lots of suicidal thoughts when I judge things negatively, is to be able to have an inbuilt coping mechanism. And its something I've thought about just there that I might need finally.

Take this anology, I've simplified my brain into positive and negative parts, negative, for some strange reason, I define as the colour purple (think poisonous colour), when I think negatively and suicidal, thats purple smoke filling in my head, and when I feel positive and upbeat, that I define as an orange colour (not sure why, its my favourite colour I think :p).

So my job is, when I feel incredibley down hopeless like last night, depressed my life is over etc, I'm never going to get a girlfriend, the world hates me, I need to die, to acknowledge this as the purple smoke filling into my head. Decompartmentalise this, take a step back and recognise all those negative thoughts as the colour purple, I'm a loser, never had a girlfriend, virgin, can't/wont ever have a date, die a loner. Now try combat it with the orange smoke, which includes, looking to become a dentist/doctor, travelling the world, joining clubs and societies, improving social skills, attain part time job, be more social with sports clubs, all those things I wrote on the to do list on the previous page bascially.

Because I figured I don't want to be coming on here, crying ringing the samaritans, struggling to attend my lectures, can't get out of bed etc because I've simply had a bad reaction to something. Its time I needed to learn how to do deal with bad reactions like last night because we all get them, but its about time I learned how to react to them, that doesn't initially cause me to feel the need to self harm etc. Its really important.

I've had enough of me ringing samaritans (although extremely greatful for them), crying because I read something on the internet about guys who've never had a girlfriend, or have had a bad reaction from someone personally, I need to develop a coping mechanism now to when things do go wrong I can cope and function as normal in my everyday life.

So cloud out all the purple smoke with the orange smoke and recognise what that purple smoke is:

- I can't get a girlfriend
    - I will die a loner
    - Nobody wants to date me
    - The world thinks I'm a freak
    - I don't deserve friends
    - I should be punished with suicide

Take a step back Thomas, these are all the purple signals swarming your head, recognise it, diffuse it with the orange colour. It can be done, come on Thomas. This is the poison in your head, and you must recognise it and learn to remove it from now on in those most darkest moments.

That is exactly it imho. Plus CBT gives you those "coping skills". Well done, thats a real breakthrough and a great lesson to learn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Naveydevil

Mollikins wrote: »
    I wish I was brave enough to post here the way other people have done. But what I do want to say is no matter how much depression scares me, no matter how terrified I am of my own thoughts sometimes, what scares me more is other people’s attitude towards it. It’s hard to believe that in 21st century Ireland people can be so ignorant of mental illnesses and devoid of compassion towards others.

All I’m capable of saying right now is that I’m not doing great and I don’t know what to do to help myself. The last few months, before this bout came along, I have been thinking about when it all started. I know it’s sort of part of the nature of depression that you can’t remember a time you were ever happy but I really can’t. Even as a young child I was like this. And even though I love them I hate my family for not being there when I needed them most, both as an introverted child and a confused and scared 15 year old.

I’m 21 and a lot of people would say that my life is only beginning really. So why does it already feel over? I’ve tried getting help and I’m tired of working up the courage to admit I’m not ok just to be dismissed and left feeling worse than before, something that I didn’t think was possible. As lonely as it is being on my own with this I prefer it that way because at least others can’t hurt me.

I was really bad last night and if I wasn't interrupted there is no telling what I would have done. I'm scared of myself. I know I’ll regret posting this in the morning but right now I just don’t care.

Hi there, first post but I would like to inform u of a residential programme called the Hoffman process which really help to rid of my depression. Best of luck to you.

Advertisement