Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Don't put expectations on yourself, but do commit to it and keep a positive mental attitude. This isnt about how many friends you will have or getting a girl, its about you accepting that you were born to love and be loved and being ok with who you are.

My one suggestion is, get your money's worth. Commit to this process completely. Tell them everything, all the worst bits all the things you never wanted anyone to know. Dump it all out or your counselor will be trying to fix a mask rather then you. Don't fret about the outcome, commit to the process and see where it brings you.

Good luck mate, its the start of your new life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

DeVore wrote: »
    Don't put expectations on yourself, but do commit to it and keep a positive mental attitude. This isnt about how many friends you will have or getting a girl, its about you accepting that you were born to love and be loved and being ok with who you are.

My one suggestion is, get your money's worth. Commit to this process completely. Tell them everything, all the worst bits all the things you never wanted anyone to know. Dump it all out or your counselor will be trying to fix a mask rather then you. Don't fret about the outcome, commit to the process and see where it brings you.

Good luck mate, its the start of your new life.

Good advice. I certainly will be giving it all I've got, I hold nothing back as I will have regrets about my therapy if I did. I'm only 4 months into it so its still early days really, I don't how long the average person takes to notice sigificant changes with long term therapy.

Hows everybody else in the thread coming? This thread seems to be on its last legs, I know it can't go on forever, but it would nice to hear how everyone else is getting on, any positive stories? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

Hey, Thomas,

I was just about to bump this thread (and devil be damned), but ye've gone and done it for me. Thanks, man! I guess this is positive, but I've finally got a consultant psychiatrist appointment to test for bi-polar after ten years of anti-depressants and counselling not doing jack. Small steps (as I've said previously on-thread) but at least it's somehow moving forward.

Hope all is well with you, man. Be well.

Col

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Colmustard wrote: »
    I find myself teeth grinding at night lately its so severe it wakes me up with a tension headache and pain around my jaws. I went to the doctor and he asked me, am I anxious, I don't think so was my answer, which is true. But maybe I am, the thing about disturbance in sleep it disarms you of the means to deal with tension and stress naturally, it saps your gumption and motivation from tiredness.

He gave me a prescription of 75mm of efflexor which is a mild dose and stillnoct another mild sleeping tablet. I have the prescription about 2 weeks and i am reluctant to start them, I keep hoping I can beat it naturally, by exercise and relaxation techniques, but its the motivation I need and to get that, I need restful sleep.

I am going out tonight so I have decided to start the prescription tomorrow and work on the natural stress reducing techniques while on the prescription. Hopilly that works.

But teeth grinding, since I went "public" about mine I was surprised at how many other have it or had it. It seems to be a problem out there at the moment. I suppose these are stressful times.

On the teeth grinding thing, it won't go away by itself!
    It actually becomes a cycle, the more you grind, the longer you will have it.
    Not sure about the meds though!
    A low dose of diazapam (2mg) taken an hour before bed for a 2 or 3 week period may have been enough to break the cycle.
    Also, when taking the meds go to the dentist and get a night guard.
    Wear it at night(dentist will tell you how but its usually on the upper teeth and cost about 100/150 euro)but well worth the money.
    No more headaches and no broken teeth;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

I find myself teeth grinding at night lately its so severe it wakes me up with a tension headache and pain around my jaws. I went to the doctor and he asked me, am I anxious, I don't think so was my answer, which is true. But maybe I am, the thing about disturbance in sleep it disarms you of the means to deal with tension and stress naturally, it saps your gumption and motivation from tiredness.

But teeth grinding, since I went "public" about mine I was surprised at how many other have it or had it. It seems to be a problem out there at the moment. I suppose these are stressful times.
    mishkalucy wrote: »

Wear it at night(dentist will tell you how but its usually on the upper teeth and cost about 100/150 euro)but well worth the money.

Sort out the grinding of your teeth, it just leads to Bruxism. I'm in agony and have chronic pain in my jaw, on anti-inflam meds, muscle relaxants etc. You can get two types of guards, 99% of time are for the bottom teeth, a hard or soft guard. The hard guard is best but can be very uncomfortable to get used to, but do get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Chorcai wrote: »
    Sort out the grinding of your teeth, it just leads to Bruxism. I'm in agony and have chronic pain in my jaw, on anti-inflam meds, muscle relaxants etc. You can get two types of guards, 99% of time are for the bottom teeth, a hard or soft guard. The hard guard is best but can be very uncomfortable to get used to, but do get it sorted.

My guard was for the top an a hard guard(I broke my jaw and it wasn't re-alligned hence the grinding. I have bruxism but my oh's jaw is something else:eek:

You should hear the "BANG/POP" when he eats, yawns etc.
    Yet he says its not painful (blurreghhh);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Gentle bump for the thread. Today is World Suicide Prevention Day.

"A survey conducted to mark the tenth anniversary of World Suicide Prevention Day has shown that many people have a poor understanding of mental health issues" (Source: RTE)
    The survey, conducted by St Patrick's University Hospital in Dublin, shows that lack of understanding of mental health problems is fuelling stigma and preventing people from accessing support.

This thread has touched a number of people - the more depression is talked about, the smaller the stigma becomes. Keep talking, keep healing, keep lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I've got depression & anxiety. I'm going through a particularly difficult time at the moment. I'm getting help, on medications, seeing a counsellor, regular check-ups with the GP, but today it just doesn't seem enough. I'm just in a dark, dark place. I know there's light at the end of the tunnel, I just cannot for the life of me see it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

I just thanked the op, I'm now on the thank list of awesome people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

I've been on meds for depression for 3 years and in the words of John Lennon I have to admit it's getter, a little better all the time, it couldn't get no worse.

National suicide prevention day reminds me of my own crisis and luckily the medical intervention I got.

To everyone in the battle don't give up. From my own experience over time your well being and life can and will improve with the right support.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I had a bad weekend 8 days ago, just hid from the world and kept on keeping on. Monday arrived and it all lifted and things looked fine again. I've put a StickIt on my brain to say "one day can change everything". Somedays the best thing about that day is the next day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Hope you don't mind a duplicate post here DeV (posted this in another thread too). Having a really low couple of weeks and put my mind towards some writing. Whilst the piece itself might be a little off the depression topic (more on suicide) and it's a little abstract, just felt it helped me through the past week or two.

If anything i hope that it might inspire others when they have bad times that they might focus their minds and talents on something - whether it's writing, cooking, jogging, sewing, whatever it may be. It doesn't really matter if anyone reads the following, more that this piece got me through the last week. Cheers :)

Secularism and Happiness

Firstly I’m not a religious person, i don’t attend mass and i suffer from depression. Suffering from depression might seem disconnected to my piety but i’ll hold that thought. Secondly, the topic of suicide is never an easy subject to tackle. It can be approached from a multitude of socio-economic angles and from related mental health angles. The impact of recession, unemployment, financial hardship and related problems such as stress, depression and alcoholism is demonstrably clear.

When looking at the suicide rates in Ireland over the past 50 years one figure jumped out immediately. Between 1970 and 1975 the suicide rate in Ireland jumped from 1.8 to 4.7 per 100,000. This remains the largest 5 year increase in the rate of suicide recorded in this country.

It begs the obvious question – what happened in those years? Well, a lot, both domestically and internationally; i wanted to see if i could find anything exceptional in the period that may help to explain that jump. The suicide rate has continued to rise steadily since 1975 so it is easy to rule out a statistical anomaly.

It’s worth noting at this point that our neighbours in the UK experienced a slight drop of 0.4 per 100,000 by 1975.

Economically the early 1970s were not that bad and certainly not on the somewhat apocalyptic-feeling scale of recession of the past five years. Our population expanded by 13% during the 1970s in spite of an increasing emigration, whilst our neighbours over the water saw a fairly static population shift during the decade.

As i plough through the story of the early 1970s in Ireland i feel like Lieutenant Columbo, good old Peter Falk, stumbling into a crime scene with a niggling suspicion only to take his time bumbling to an inevitable conclusion – who did it! Except this isn’t television and there is never a neat resolution to the story of suicide. Nevertheless i wanted something that stood out to me as a possible factor, however tenuous, as there had to be many factors that explained this jump. Socio-economic factors weren’t pointing the way – our economy was growing, our population was growing and early 1970s Ireland was a fairly prosperous place to be.

By chance i stumbled across some literature on Irelands accession to the EEC in 1973; debates on the referendum to the constitution and the results of the vote. Could this have had any possible correlation to suicide in the country? I felt it was doubtful but worth exploring a little more. One thing it did highlight was secularisation. Of all the advantages Ireland gained from becoming a member of the European community, the church was probably not one of the chief recipients. Against this accession to Europe, with its more secularised ways, came a backdrop of a domestic movement towards secularism – for example the contraceptive movement, womens liberal rights, Mary Robinson et al.

Could the emergence of a more secular Ireland have had such a profound impact on suicide rates (or any at all)? What correlation exists between religion, happiness and taking ones own life? The 1970s marked the beginning of many declines in religious Ireland. Church attendances began to drop, numbers of Diocesan Priests began to drop and the power of the church itself in the country was beginning to wane. Most would argue given subsequent horrifying child abuse scandals that this was no bad thing.

I came across a poll from the Pew Institute taken in 2006 which showed a correlation between church attendance, income and general happiness. 21% of people polled on low incomes who didn’t attend mass regularly were happy, compared to 37% of people on the same low incomes who did attend regularly. Whether this is a case of religious fulfilment or merely a sense of belonging to something, those who attend church regularly appear to gain something. Of course, the correlation between happiness and suicide is complex in itself but as a sufferer of depression i can only anecdotally add i prefer to be happier within myself; and any negative thoughts tend not to occur during rare periods of inner peace.

Since 1975 there has been an inverted symmetry between the decline of church attendance and the increase in suicide rates. To suggest this as a cause of the increase in suicide rates would be to completely misunderstand the complex nature of suicide. However, to dismiss it completely as a factor in the debate might be going a little too far.

A 2009 Iona Institute report found a marked increase in church attendance in the previous year, with 66% attending once a month up from 54% the previous year. 2009 was conversely one of the lowest suicide rates reported in Ireland in the past decade. Again, the incidence and causation of suicide is not determinable by any sole factor, the improvement in frontline mental health services are much more likely to be a key factor in this drop in 2009 – but it is interesting to note the correlation nonetheless between the figures.

Suicide awareness and the mental health service will remain on the front line in attempting to reduce the suicide rates in this country. I won’t for one minute as a non-practicing Catholic suggest to anyone going to church is an answer to this problem – neither would i suggest there is any one answer to a multi-faceted problem. However, it seems to me a sense of belonging, a sense of community, a sense of purpose and faith intrinsic to church attendance seems to have a correlation on overall happiness. With priest numbers predicted to fall rapidly and church attendances likely to follow suit, it could be worth following any future impact, if any, this has on suicide incidence in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Good advice. I certainly will be giving it all I've got, I hold nothing back as I will have regrets about my therapy if I did. I'm only 4 months into it so its still early days really, I don't how long the average person takes to notice sigificant changes with long term therapy.

Hows everybody else in the thread coming? This thread seems to be on its last legs, I know it can't go on forever, but it would nice to hear how everyone else is getting on, any positive stories? :)
    mishkalucy wrote: »
    Not sure about the meds though!
    A low dose of diazapam (2mg) taken an hour before bed for a 2 or 3 week period may have been enough to break the cycle.
    Chorcai wrote: »

Thanks guys/girls, i took the meds and there is a little relief this week, I also start exercising again, whether I feel up to it or not, I don't know if the meds are giving me that motivation, I don't feel any different as I don't think depression was the reason I start teeth grinding.

I will certainly look into a guard if symptoms continue, untreated it seems to be progressive, when it first started I thought that was weird, then it happened again and again and suddenly it became a problem. I am not overly concerned about it yet as i think I can beat it.

As I said there is some relief, I got a full nights sleeps last night in that it didn't wake me up. I don't plan on being on the efflexor for long and I don't seem to need the sleeping tabs.

Thanks guys/girls, i took the meds and there is a little relief this week, I also start exercising again, whether I feel up to it or not, I don't know if the meds are giving me that motivation, I don't feel any different as I don't think depression was the reason I start teeth grinding.

I will certainly look into a guard if symptoms continue, untreated it seems to be progressive, when it first started I thought that was weird, then it happened again and again and suddenly it became a problem. I am not overly concerned about it yet as i think I can beat it.

As I said there is some relief, I got a full nights sleeps last night in that it didn't wake me up. I don't plan on being on the efflexor for long and I don't seem to need the sleeping tabs.
    I feel your pain my friend!

I don't grind my teeth but i do clench them in my sleep. I know it's only slightly different but i get awful tension headaches from it. Plus my teeth do be in bits every morning and lost 2 teeth already :( Whatever my teeth/jaw is doing when asleep is not good anyway. Been ongoing about 14 months now. Benzos/diazepam seem to work but i don't like being on them and can't really adjust to mouth guards. I have Stilnoct that i don't take as they seem to induce night terrors. Grandpa Simpson teeth ahead :rolleyes:

I don't know about anyone else but there comes a time where you don't look forward to sleep. After a long day pre-depression, pre-anxiety, used to have amazing sleeps. The human body and mind really is amazing in how it is put together and how things like anxiety and depression can affect every facet of your existence.

What i do know for sure is that all of us on here can overcome and continue to survive and better days are ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Don't want to drag this rather excellent thread off topic but this religious thing tends to get tossed around a lot.

Leaving aside the validity of Iona's figures. (They're not really the most reliable bunch for data.). The issue with all these church going surveys is that it is far more likely a person that is regularly able to attend mass actually has got good health. If they're in bad health then it's quite likely they won't be keeping up regular attendance. Some will, but they tend to be the exception rather than the norm.
    Indeed, in every published paper I've read on the topic of religiosity vs happiness (or religiosity v general health) this problem in the data analysis is nearly always stated by the researchers. Yet somewhere between there, and the numerous blogs and newspaper articles that report on these studies this little titbit seems to get forgotten. I guess it's more comforting to believe that religion makes a person more likely to be happy or content but as the poster said it's not as a simple as that. One study that I prefer though is the happiness of lottery winners vs people who've had a serious life changing accident (e.g paralysing car crash). It may surprise the general public but a year on from winning the lottery or the catastrophic accident both groups tend to be equally as happy or sad. In other words the quantity of material possessions and quality of everyday life very likely has little to do with mental health. Of course we already knew that but that's science for you folks taking nothing for granted regardless of how obvious it may seem. :)
    All that said, I'd guess we all still cringe at people cribbing about celebs who admit they're suffering depression. "What do they have to be sad about?". Society still has a long way to go to understanding this ailment.

Taken from here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80744472&postcount=297

Possibly already posted in this thread (it's large) but worth another read and I hope everybody on this thread gets to read this, it really is WONDERFUL. Mr Stephen Fry, wonderful sir.

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

April 10, 2006

Dear Crystal,

I'm so sorry to hear that life is getting you down at the moment. Goodness knows, it can be so tough when nothing seems to fit and little seems to be fulfilling. I'm not sure there's any specific advice I can give that will help bring life back its savour. Although they mean well, it's sometimes quite galling to be reminded how much people love you when you don't love yourself that much.

I've found that it's of some help to think of one's moods and feelings about the world as being similar to weather:

Here are some obvious things about the weather:

It's real.
    You can't change it by wishing it away.
    If it's dark and rainy it really is dark and rainy and you can't alter it.
    It might be dark and rainy for two weeks in a row.

BUT

It will be sunny one day.
    It isn't under one's control as to when the sun comes out, but come out it will.
    One day.

It really is the same with one's moods, I think. The wrong approach is to believe that they are illusions. They are real. Depression, anxiety, listlessness - these are as real as the weather - AND EQUALLY NOT UNDER ONE'S CONTROL. Not one's fault.

BUT

They will pass: they really will.

In the same way that one has to accept the weather, so one has to accept how one feels about life sometimes. "Today's a crap day," is a perfectly realistic approach. It's all about finding a kind of mental umbrella. "Hey-ho, it's raining inside: it isn't my fault and there's nothing I can do about it, but sit it out. But the sun may well come out tomorrow and when it does, I shall take full advantage."

I don't know if any of that is of any use: it may not seem it, and if so, I'm sorry. I just thought I'd drop you a line to wish you well in your search to find a little more pleasure and purpose in life.

Very best wishes

(Signed)

Stephen Fry

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Been having a rough few weeks myself. Started with lack of sleep and horrible dreams. When I went to sleep, I dreamt about horrible things and I was in such a state from these dreams that I'd just stay awake and be left alone with my own thoughts.

Few issues with family/myself/friends/girlfriend all got on top of me and saw my GP. Got sleeping tablets and have since started counselling. Have only been going to her a few times but it's nice to talk about things even if I do get sidetracked and talk about something different to what I want to talk about.

Been feeling pretty low since Friday and motivation to do anything is really low. I know everyone hates work (well the majority I'd say) and I'm really finding it difficult to drag myself to it every day to do the same menial bullshít all the time.

Sleeping tablets are helping to an extent. They help me get to sleep initially but keeping myself asleep seems to be a struggle and I just feel so groggy. I might have to go back and see if I can get something else.

I've the Dublin marathon next month and I just can't motivate myself to do any training for it. I really can't. All I want to do is just curl up and hide away from the world and shut everything out.

I'm supposed to be off drink until the marathon is over but I went out last night, got quite drunk and cried myself to sleep last night. This isn't a new thing. I've cried myself to sleep on many occasions very recently.

I don't know if it's just a brief moment of sadness or if I'm depressed or what the story is but it just feels never ending at this moment in time and it's led to stupid arguments between myself and my friends/gf because I can't explain to them what the fúck is going on. I have plenty of distractions but they're very brief and then I'm back to pretty much doing nothing.

Counselling can bring up issues you don't want to face, even subconsciously. I found it hard at first as I'm very obsessive about stuff but it does get easier. I cant tell you that you wont ever have periods like you describe (but its possible). I can tell you that you will have longer periods between them and you will become equiped with the mental tools to handle them, and even reverse the negative spiral.

Stay off the drink, its a depressant and thus probably the last thing any of us need :)

All I can say is, I know how it feels and it feels horrible. But it doesnt have to be that way, go talk to your counsellor about it asap imho...

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Does anyone else just run out of spoons?
    Just some days you just don't have the engry to do things which need doing.
    It's rough, it means I make compromises which while I know in the long term they won't have a negative impact on the family,
    but I would have preferred to be able to do the things which needed doing rather then being so drained all I could do was go to bed
    after ordering take way for dinner. Fecking guilty monster is a bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

What's wrong with a good takeaway every now and then? Long as its tasty :rolleyes:

I am on nearly one month of no self injury :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Well done on your nearly one month.

Sharrow, I've seen you with your children and you are an amazing mother, your kids are lucky to have so much quality time with you. Don't try to be super mom, no one is perfect and you're doing pretty damn well... :)

Congrats Cloud, its good to hear you are well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Felt horrible on thursday afternoon in work which resulted in a nasty headache and tightness in the chest. Decided to take yesterday off to go to doc who reckoned that it was a bad anxiety attack.

I was grand until last night when I left a friend's house after a few beers and cycled like a madman to the Shannon riverside near the Clarion hotel. I just stared into the river for about 15 minutes before I said to myself "FFS catch yourself on and get yourself home and into bed!" which I eventually did. Feeling ok again today but I never want to feel that way again.

I believe that it's the job that's getting to me. It's like no matter how hard I work or how many home-made cakes I bring on during our Afternoon tea fridays I still end up being shafted and taken for granted by people there. From now on they can piss off. No more cakes and I'll never run myself into the ground for anyone again. If they don't like it they can kiss my ass. CBT is the way to go for me I'd say but the sessions are too bloody expensive.

Sorry for being moody and negative but I just need to leave off some steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I feel your pain my friend!

I don't grind my teeth but i do clench them in my sleep. I know it's only slightly different but i get awful tension headaches from it. Plus my teeth do be in bits every morning and lost 2 teeth already :( Whatever my teeth/jaw is doing when asleep is not good anyway. Been ongoing about 14 months now. Benzos/diazepam seem to work but i don't like being on them and can't really adjust to mouth guards. I have Stilnoct that i don't take as they seem to induce night terrors. Grandpa Simpson teeth ahead :rolleyes:

I don't know about anyone else but there comes a time where you don't look forward to sleep. After a long day pre-depression, pre-anxiety, used to have amazing sleeps. The human body and mind really is amazing in how it is put together and how things like anxiety and depression can affect every facet of your existence.

What i do know for sure is that all of us on here can overcome and continue to survive and better days are ahead.

I was at the dentist yesterday and there is evidence of wear on the front of my teeth and he recommended a tooth guard. But the problem is easing. I am taking the meds and I am back cycling and walking.

So fingers crossed it goes away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Does anyone know if college counsellors are any use? I've been thinking about going to see mine but I don't want to waste time if it's going to be absolutely no use to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Does anyone know if college counsellors are any use? I've been thinking about going to see mine but I don't want to waste time if it's going to be absolutely no use to me!

Totally depends on the person! In my old college I saw 2. One was a trainee counselor and I didn't like her at all, the other was a qualified counselor and was pretty good. I saw a private counselor too who was great.

My college now is much bigger and most counselors are qualified psychologists, so the one I have seen is pretty great.

I'd say give it a try, you won't know until you meet them a few times if they are any good for you. I think the private counselor I saw was just as great as the college psychologist I saw. Its only a waste of time if you don't go in wanting it to work. The person might not suit you, but you won't know until you try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Totally depends on the person! In my old college I saw 2. One was a trainee counselor and I didn't like her at all, the other was a qualified counselor and was pretty good. I saw a private counselor too who was great.

My college now is much bigger and most counselors are qualified psychologists, so the one I have seen is pretty great.

I'd say give it a try, you won't know until you meet them a few times if they are any good for you. I think the private counselor I saw was just as great as the college psychologist I saw. Its only a waste of time if you don't go in wanting it to work. The person might not suit you, but you won't know until you try.

Yeah I suppose I'll give them a go. I know for a fact their qualified psychologists with about 10-12 years experience so I suppose that's something :P
    It's a little overwhelming. I have no idea what I actually might say! :P

If you have any genuine desire to move to somewhere better mentally, then talking to a counsellor is never going to be a waste of time. You could probably talk openly to a stuffed scarecrow and it would benefit you. Its about you coming to terms with yourself, they just help but its you who does the heavy lifting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

DeVore wrote: »
    If you have any genuine desire to move to somewhere better mentally, then talking to a counsellor is never going to be a waste of time. You could probably talk openly to a stuffed scarecrow and it would benefit you. Its about you coming to terms with yourself, they just help but its you who does the heavy lifting. :)

How are you doing DeVore? Are you feeling better since you started the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I have figured out the key to beating my depression is improving my self worth.

I have come to realise that having a girlfriend, having friends etc, is not going to happen overnight and there are other important smaller steps that I have to take first in order to improve my self worth as a person and improve myself as a person in general.

So I ended up writing a list of things to do, short term goals if you like, over the next 3-6 months that I would like to do improve myself as a person. :)

- Learn to cook
    - Learn to clean
    - Learn to wash my clothes without assisstance
    - Learn to iron
    - Wash/shave more regularly
    - Obtain part time job
    - Join a gym
    - Eat a healthier diet
    - Begin clay pidgeon hobby
    - Rejoin a cricket club
    - Clean/fix acne on back (I suffer from this currently and thinks its turn off)
    - Obtain new dress sense, new clothes
    - Obtain a volunteering job at a local hospital
    - Begin driving lessons
    - Learn Spanish
    - Organise a more regular sleeping pattern

I've realised the only way to beating my depression is improving my self worth as a person. These are very basic of short of goals now, but they are very important to me if I am to make myself a better, more attractive person that becomes more readily availible for a potential social life/relationships.

I mean its embarresing, but yes I can't cook, can't clean, can't iron and I'm 26. But its about time I learned to do some of these things, I need to make myself more independant as a person and stop being nannyish around my parents.

I've recently gone back to college to repeat my a levels so I can get into Medicine or Dentistry (I already hold a degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering). I would love to achieve such a high career, but realise its going to take a lot of work.

But I realise that the only way I'm going to beat my depression as I say is to improve my quality of life in general and improve my self worth as a person, which will then give me a better opportunity to change my social life and relationships.

I still don't think I'm good enough to get a girlfriend, or friends, but who knows, but I've moved on from thinking about these things as much now and have to decided to concentrate on improving my self worth as a person at least first, be it a new diet, clothes, hobbies etc.

My counsellor was absolutely delighted to hear me talk like this, for somebody has not stopped thinking about suicide though april to august, its a pretty big change of personal attitude.

There's lots of little things that can be changed about my life. I think if I can achieve all of these goals in some time, I will make myself somewhat a happier person and climb out of the hole at least a little bit.

To those who are suffering from depression, what are your goals you have set yourself and techniques to try improve you're self worth and image as a person? I would be glad to hear any of your experiances.:)

Advertisement