Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Karsini wrote: »
    More feelings of apathy here - I just feel like doing nothing. It happens so much to me.
    I get this a lot. Nothing seems worth doing and anything I try will be a failure and I'll screw it up and and and and...blah blah blah.

Its bollox but its very convincing bollox :)

Try to sabotage that feeling. Force yourself to do something like ring a mate and tell them you will meet them in town that evening. Its probably the LAST thing you want to do but do it... then when evening rolls around, you have to either do it or let your mate down. That gets you up and out and from there you need to build on that. Its rough as sandpaper but its that..... or start getting your meals delivered to your bed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Trying to get up and get out can work but not when you've reached the point when trying to force yourself to do that then causes panic attacks.

I have packs of bread mix in the house for the days when I just can't deal with leaving the house to go the 5 mins to the shop to by some. Someday you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you atm he's putting his napkin on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Karsini wrote: »
    I just feel like doing nothing. It happens so much to me.

I used to get this a lot, its a part managing your self and your life, Im not a liee coach but i can relate t this as devore and Im sure a lot more people who've posted..

So you feel lethargic, first off we all do at some point. its a normal human trait some of us suffer it more then others...

But as Devore, said you gotta work against it in a proactive manor, Gabrial Byrne manages depression Like a lot of us. But I watched an interview that he spoke about it in great detail.

He said, its the days were I want to sit in an empty room in the corner with no lights on I have to fight to get up to do things there the times you work hardest...
    there first step to me is getting up off your ass and doing something.

Things to do to beat the larthargic feeling, cleaning, ( i know but it gives a sense of satisfaction which can help you feel better)

Cooking some healthy food that tastes good, it'll put a smile on your face when you can taste an layer food (its not the hard once you learn how to control a cooker :)

Go for a walk gets the body moving gets the endorphins pumping, which helps you feel good...

flirting with women :D

last but not least Im gonna sound like such a woman but.....

Chocolate, If you can eat dark chocolate all the better (borrnviles) a good start ismply because its sweet
    fails to help..

seriously only you can beat that problem and you just gotta grab it bye the balls and say Im the fvcking man and your a passenger :) get used to it.. you can re mould your brain.. if you believe in it enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mucky.Bucky

I've had two ok days. Not bad. Hanging in there with a little bit of a calm peace coming over me over the situation that dragged me down. Here's hoping it stays. I mean the peaceful feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Recent interaction has left me in a pile of unneeded worry :(:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 mmaniac

I have been struggling the last week or so with a bad relapse of depression. Im at the stage where you just wanna lie in bed and not talk to anybody. Work is a struggle because i just dont wanna talk to anybody and people in work are actually asking me am i alright. I was doing so well the last 3 months and felt back to my "normal" self but have found this a massive setback.

This thread is a massive help though just reading how other people deal with there lows and how everbody helps each other is refreshing. Ive come to realise that im not alone in feeling like this and im not weird and shouldnt be embarrssed to talk about my battle.

jammstarr wrote: »

I know the feeling. Sending loads of hugs.

jammstarr wrote: »

wel communicate go right it down and the re read your worries and ask your self are they really worth worrying..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Cheers for the kind words and thoughts. I'm a terrible worrier. Needless bureaucracy turned what should of been a non-event into a major hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

mmaniac wrote: »
    I have been struggling the last week or so with a bad relapse of depression. Im at the stage where you just wanna lie in bed and not talk to anybody. Work is a struggle because i just dont wanna talk to anybody and people in work are actually asking me am i alright. I was doing so well the last 3 months and felt back to my "normal" self but have found this a massive setback.

This thread is a massive help though just reading how other people deal with there lows and how everbody helps each other is refreshing. Ive come to realise that im not alone in feeling like this and im not weird and shouldnt be embarrssed to talk about my battle.

hey mmanic!

fair play to you for the past three months you should be so proud :)

i wish i could feel normal for more than a day
    but its just a set back you will bounce back from it :)

i took great advice from the ladies of the TLL and from people here that when you are feeling down just write it down
    i hate talking about my feelings... i despise it so i write about it

i think you are better off to talk about it with someone
    i dont think im at that stage yet but do talk about there is no shame for doing so!

you should be so proud that you have gotten this far! :)

i had to kick myself out of bed today at 2 my exams start tomorrow im in my final year i should be working around the clock and im not
    im forcing myself to do this
    im taking the doctors advice and trying to focus on my exams instead of everything else not quite working out but ill get there and hopefully i will have 3 months where i feel normal again! :)

• Advertisement

hey mmanic!

fair play to you for the past three months you should be so proud :)

i wish i could feel normal for more than a day
    but its just a set back you will bounce back from it :)

i took great advice from the ladies of the TLL and from people here that when you are feeling down just write it down
    i hate talking about my feelings... i despise it so i write about it

i think you are better off to talk about it with someone
    i dont think im at that stage yet but do talk about there is no shame for doing so!

you should be so proud that you have gotten this far! :)

i had to kick myself out of bed today at 2 my exams start tomorrow im in my final year i should be working around the clock and im not
    im forcing myself to do this
    im taking the doctors advice and trying to focus on my exams instead of everything else not quite working out but ill get there and hopefully i will have 3 months where i feel normal again! :)

I would dread to lose my ipod and hate for anyone to read the notes section. There is so much written in it, it's like a diary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I got a phone call today about going in next week to start my talk therapy. more than 1 year after I was added to the waiting list. I'm a bit in shock over it tbh. Can't quite believe I'm actually going to be seen. at long last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Lads I'd be screwed without my daily 20 laps of the swimming pool. Yes I have to give myself a kick in the arse to get there sometimes but it's so worth it. Changes every perspective. Calms me down on lots of levels. Endorphins are so important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I would dread to lose my ipod and hate for anyone to read the notes section. There is so much written in it, it's like a diary.

fair point! i dont think i could let anyone read what i have written down tbh
    i know i should but i couldnt
    but thats just me i hate expressing dark feelings no matter what format they are in
    if i know myself that if i write them down then they have been released even if i am the only one that will read it!
    well that my understanding of why i do it!
    im sure others would think its stupid :o

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

HALT... Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. Been reading a lot lately for various reasons and found this via a friend of mine who has been through it all and conquered it.

http://www.chinnstreetcounseling.com/zomerland/zomerland_11.shtml

It just resonated with me and made me think I need to be more mindful of these sorts of basics and stop running myself into the ground and then wondering why thats where I find myself :)

HALT... Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. Been reading a lot lately for various reasons and found this via a friend of mine who has been through it all and conquered it.

It just resonated with me and made me think I need to be more mindful of these sorts of basics and stop running myself into the ground and then wondering why thats where I find myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Wattle wrote: »
    Lads I'd be screwed without my daily 20 laps of the swimming pool. Yes I have to give myself a kick in the arse to get there sometimes but it's so worth it. Changes every perspective. Calms me down on lots of levels. Endorphins are so important.

I'm the same way, think regularly using the gym is one of the main reasons that i've functioned in the past 6 months. I've found in the last few days particularly that one of the more important things to do is to attempt to motivate yourself to fulfill goals. I'm rather unsuccesful so far but i'm working on it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭user098

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Indeed berties lick arses did in this clip, and they haven't gone away you know . . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

DeVore wrote: »

There's another website I love - http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/freedownloads2.htm
    Not all of it is for me, but I always find something to help me understand what I'm feeling a little better.
    My favourite one is the analogy of the parrot -

Imagine you're given a parrot. This parrot is just a parrot - it doesn't have any knowledge, wisdom or insight. It.s bird-brained after all. It recites things .parrot fashion. . without any understanding or comprehension. It.s a parrot.
    However, this particular parrot is a poisoned and poisonous parrot. It.s been specifically trained to be unhelpful to you, continuously commenting on you and your life, in a way that constantly puts you down, criticising you.
    For example, the bus gets stuck in a traffic jam, and you arrive at work 5 minutes late. The parrot sits there saying: "There you go again. Late. You just can.t manage to get there on time can you. So stupid. If you.d left the house and got the earlier bus you.d have arrived with loads of time to spare and the boss would be happy. But you? No way. Just can't do it. Useless. Waste of space. Absolutely pathetic!"
    How long would you put up with this abuse before throwing a towel over the cage, or getting rid of the parrot?
    Yet we can often put up with the thoughts from this internal bully for far too long. Decades. We hear that .parrot., believe the .parrot., and naturally get upset. That then affects the way we live our lives . the way be behave towards others, how we are, what we think about others, what we think about the world, and how we think and feel about ourselves.
    We can learn to use the antidote: just notice that parrot, and cover the cage! ¡°There.s that parrot again. I don.t have to listen to it . it.s just a parrot¡±. Then go and do something else. Put your focus of attention on something other than that parrot. This parrot is poison though, and it won.t give up easily, so you.ll need to keep using that antidote and be persistent in your practice!
    Eventually it will get tired of the towel, tired of you not responding. You.ll notice it less and less. It might just give up it.s poison as your antidote overcomes it, or perhaps fly off to wherever poisoned parrots go.
    Adapted from ¡°The Malevolent Parrot¡± . Kristina Ivings

Today saw the irrepressible @TalentCoop and the #depressionhurts crew launch their new website: http://www.depressionhurtsireland.com/

It looks great imho and more importantly it has links to lots and lots of support material, stories and advice both for sufferers and for family and friends, teachers and bosses.

Even this thread gets a link in it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Is it possible to have a breakdown, recover, and never get sick again? Or is it a case with depression that once you get it, it's with you for life?

I'm not a counselor but imho its a bit like alcoholism, you can live the rest of your life without it ever bothering you again but you may have to avoid certain things and be mindful of yourself. After a while that just becomes routine.

I know people who have had breakdowns and now have bounced back better than ever before. I think a lot of it would depend on the reasons for the breakdown in the first place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Had a bad set back today out of nowhere...don't know how long I can do this anymore. :(

I'm supposed to be heading away this Summer with friends...while I'm living at home I have my own space to go off and cry or whatever...not sure if I'm gonna be able to do that sharing a room with somebody.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

The thing i struggle with is what i do when i come home from counselling. I talk a good game and i know full well what the problem is (daily binge drinking, crazy sleep patterns, and i can go days without barely leaving the house) it's trying to make the change instead of talking about it, i just can't get that crucial part right. Brilliant thread and i hope it keeps living on.

Had a bad set back today out of nowhere...don't know how long I can do this anymore. :(

I'm supposed to be heading away this Summer with friends...while I'm living at home I have my own space to go off and cry or whatever...not sure if I'm gonna be able to do that sharing a room with somebody.

being honest i know this sounds mad but maybe thats just what you need...
    when i was away there was always something going on i just never had time :)

seriously it could be a welcomed break may give you a fresh perspective on things..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

The thing i struggle with is what i do when i come home from counselling. I talk a good game and i know full well what the problem is (daily binge drinking, crazy sleep patterns, and i can go days without barely leaving the house) it's trying to make the change instead of talking about it, i just can't get that crucial part right. Brilliant thread and i hope it keeps living on.

Don't give up trying and definitely don't beat yourself up if you don't make it happen on a certain day. Take the little victories--they're important. If you don't do it today, think "Feck it. I'll try again tomorrow." And if you don't quite manage it tomorrow, don't worry about that either. You'll get there in time.

I know that attitude sounds counter-productive but believe me, the more you beat yourself up and keep feeding that little voice in your head that comes with depression, the more power you give that voice to tell you you can't do it. Go easy on yourself and keep up all the good work.

Even if all you can manage at the moment is talking about it, that's a great start to build on. You'll get there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Although I have loads of anxiety and worry, friday was an ok day for me.

Got into the shower yesterday morning for the first time all week and it was lovely. Went into town and browsed bookshops - it's something I like doing. It's very calming. Saw loads of books I wanted to buy but am watching the money and didn't want to leave myself short for the week. Dug into a lovely tub of icecream too. Anxiety is still there in the background but mood a lot better.

Woke early today to a beautiful blue sky and the sun shining. I find nice sunny days like this helps enourmously at lifting my mood. Anxiety and worry is still there, going nowhere. Guilt, regret and remorse from a while back are feelings still very much dug in.

I hope the sun is shining where ever you all are and that you can all get up, get on, get out to enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Snowie wrote: »
    being honest i know this sounds mad but maybe thats just what you need...
    when i was away there was always something going on i just never had time :)

seriously it could be a welcomed break may give you a fresh perspective on things..

Yeah that's a good point. And this is the first thing I've been excited about in a long time so hopefully it will do me some good.

Another part of my depression is that I find it very difficult to meet gay/bisexual girls in Dublin so hopefully with a bigger city I'll meet some new people and finally get rid of this loneliness, if even temporarily. It's also sort of forcing me to come out to my friends who will be over there with me, which I know I should've done ages ago because they're not exactly homophobic so I guess that little push will do me good.

Just don't want to have to deal with coming out to them and then also having to tell them about my depression, if they find me curled up in the foetal position crying my ass off one afternoon :pac:

As Millicent said, don't beat yourself up about it but now that you know what ya gotta do, think about ways you can go about it. I find exercise is such a great way to help with bad sleeping patterns and it makes ya leave the house and get out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

has anyone heard of Holotropic Breathwork? I heard an interview on the radio last week from a man who suffered from chronic depression for many years until a Holotropic Breathwork practitioner in Ireland took him on as a patient. It was a total success. link
    Just saw your post. I suspect that was me you heard if it was Liveline you were listening to ;)
    Kiera wrote: »
    Is it possible to have a breakdown, recover, and never get sick again? Or is it a case with depression that once you get it, it's with you for life?
    Yes you can recover from depression but it takes time and personal pain. You must be prepared to face whatever painful feelings are causing your depression in the first place. :)

Advertisement