Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Mollikins wrote: »
    I wish I was brave enough to post here the way other people have done.

Well done on being brave enough to post what you did. Feel free to post more if you want. You should have nothing to regret about posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm only 19. Its nothing to be ashamed of, its good that you posted here, its a good start.
    I know that. But it’s very hard to believe it because of family’s attitude.
    HonalD wrote: »
    Never have regrets - make an appointment with your GP, they will guide you. Never give up.
    That’s the problem. I’ve been to my GP. She was useless and made me feel worse. That was months ago and I haven’t been back since.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Well done on being brave enough to post what you did. Feel free to post more if you want. You should have nothing to regret about posting.
    I’m always so scared that someone I know in real life will recognise me from my posts though. I just wouldn’t be able to cope if people knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I know that. But it’s very hard to believe it because of family’s attitude.

That’s the problem. I’ve been to my GP. She was useless and made me feel worse. That was months ago and I haven’t been back since.

I’m always so scared that someone I know in real life will recognise me from my posts though. I just wouldn’t be able to cope if people knew.

Your family don't mean anything bad by their attitude. It isn't not caring, or not wanting to care, its a hard thing to understand. They just need time.

As lonely as it is being on my own with this I prefer it that way because at least others can’t hurt me.
    i'm realising this myself.

I don't know how many times I've felt this way myself. I can get so defeatist sometimes. But I really don't want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

have nobody to talk to tonight, to tell me if i'm being irrational or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Sorry to hear that Mollikins. Do you know another doctor you can go to? The only reason I have faith in GPs is that they are trained to point you in the right direction - they may only listen but that is a help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

candycock wrote: »
    can anyone explain mindfullness to me in simple terms?? and could u reccomend a book for me to get started,
    thanks.

In general terms:

Mindfulness is a way to think yourself better, without thinking.. you can train your mind to take a break from a low moment, by concentrating on your breath it will help you put that thought away for a while. The book refers to a low point as lots of dark clouds which suddenly come over you on a sunny day, using mindfulness you can teach yourself to not bother about the clouds and if you do this the low moment will pass. You can then move on.

Have a look at this video it might give you a starting point.. I found it very good.

"The mindful way through Depression" ISBN 978-1-59385-128-6

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cianisgood

Its funny that talking about depression can depress you

cianisgood wrote: »
    Its funny that talking about depression can depress you

Oh, it can! I had to shut myself up for a while because I was putting myself down by talking about it too much. I'm not suggesting that someone should bottle up, but I found that by saying as much as I did, I was keeping things in the front of my mind which wouldn't normally stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

find a different doctor. some of them can react really badly the first time you ask for help. I moved back home and went to my family doctor to renew my meds he asked me what was causing the depression (fair enough comment) and then added "was it drugs?" It really felt like a father Ted comment lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Karsini wrote: »
    My GP put me on a 150mg dose (2x75) about 6 or 7 years ago. It made me throw up. A lot.

I'm on 262.5 (1 x 150, 1 x 75, 1 x 37.5) at the moment but I've been on 450 before and never had any problems. My stomach is fairly titanium though. Nausea is a pretty inconvenient side effect to get :( I get night sweats, a dry mouth, stuff like that but nothing as full of hassle as nausea thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Folks, side effects are not a guaranteed thing. Don't be put off trying one antidepressant because you heard it made someone vomit. They affect everyone differently.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you encountered a rude barman , you wouldnt become tea-total.

If you encounter an inconsiderate GP, dont give up on medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

Hey DeV

Only reading the start of this thread today (Don't think I'm gonna catch up on all the posts since the first one though, wow there's lots!), but I couldn't read it with out saying well done, m'dear! Great, insightful post about depression and it must have taken a fair amount of courage to write it. :D You're awesome and deserve lots of hugs

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Feel like absolute sh!t today, not as bad as I was a few months ago but still horrible. Got told off by my supervisor in college and was basically told i'm not good enough for a PhD. Sent me into a spiral this morning where I couldn't help but start thinking about my last episode of depression and my brothers suicide attempt a year and a half ago. I thought I was over my brother but I don't think i'll ever forget it, it seems to always be in the back of my head, ready to pounce on me the second I feel down. Hopefully I start to feel better this evening.

Thinking of volunteering for the mental health stand in my university for the open day. They've done so much for me that I may aswell try and do something for them! Might help some students see that there's options in the college.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Feel like absolute sh!t today, not as bad as I was a few months ago but still horrible. Got told off by my supervisor in college and was basically told i'm not good enough for a PhD. Sent me into a spiral this morning where I couldn't help but start thinking about my last episode of depression and my brothers suicide attempt a year and a half ago. I thought I was over my brother but I don't think i'll ever forget it, it seems to always be in the back of my head, ready to pounce on me the second I feel down. Hopefully I start to feel better this evening.

Thinking of volunteering for the mental health stand in my university for the open day. They've done so much for me that I may aswell try and do something for them! Might help some students see that there's options in the college.

Might be a good thing to do. I know that this thread has given back to me hugely in ways I never expected. Sorry to hear you are down at the moment, don't stay there, come back to the light. PhD or not, you have a future and its yours to mold. If you feel you haven't dealt with your bereavement then maybe you should talk to someone about it. It wont go away until you process it but that doesn't mean you have to "get over" your brothers death, it just needs acceptance I guess. I dunno, I'm not a counselor.

Lexie, hugs are awesome and always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭puddinboxxx

This is a great thread,fairplay to the op for starting it and everyone opening up and supporting others

@devore I work for tesco and our charity this year is Aware which deals with depression,would you mind if I used your first post as a bit of literature for out fundraising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I'm doing better today.

i've got a book on mindfullness, and all i have to do is tear myself away from boards so i can get started on it. it's meant to be good.

Brilliant - is it the mindful way through depression?

Mindfullness is really powerful and a great tool to help you get through the bad days. However you need to dedicate time and work at it everyday as a rule, this is the key, it takes a while and plenty of practice to fully understand what your doing and why your doing it.

I've been using it for about 2 years now and its been an amazing journey from where i was to here.. all I do is 10 mins every day now, any questions at all let me know..
    Plus a hundred million zillion on Mildfulness

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

I think my last bout of depression (while being the worst I've ever had...and I've had it really bad at times) was the best thing that could have happened to me. It hit when everything in my life had fallen apart. Lost my job, girlfriend left me and then the depression hit me like truck. And exactly like you said. I was in a state of nothingness. I'd sit on my bed all day with everything off, looking at the xbox and not wanting to play it, look at the computer and not want to go near it. Just sitting there with my twisted gut and a frown that would sour milk. And then one day I woke up and I thought I'd get back on my meds and then I though "No. I wanna beat it myself this time!" By the evening everything was looking better. A day later I was a new person. I'd found my fight again. Literally felt I could overcome anything. And everything since has been great! Things just kept getting better after that.

So thank depression...but you're not welcome here anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I have sat at a desk for 17 hours now trying to do degree work I'm just shaking with anxiety and I'm not sad at all I'm just unable and dull like I can't think as much, had two weeks to do a project for tomorrow but all I get is criticism and reduced to tears in crits/tutorials everything I do is good one week and terrible the next and I've been laughed at a lot by tutors and not listened to it will all be last minute work tomorrow, I should sleep now but the flat next doors alarm has gone off and I need to do some work before I sleep.

I used to love art, I was a top student until this year, I should have lots of work done to apply for grants, awards etc. but I can't I don't want anything to do with it now but I feel guilty for not wanting to be successful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

maybe this is the right place to ask. Who knew. after hours.

A work colleague opened up to me with a few pints recently.

He talked about killing himself , had all his letters and method sorted. But he stepped back from the brink at the last moment with thoughts of his children.

He is the weirdest and probably most annoying person I have ever met. (if truth be known). Always has to be center of attention , be it good or bad attention.

Married with children and always bragging of girls he rides . Real dickhead, but seems to be a big front. Not so deep down, he has big issues.
    He disappears in bouts of depression once a month.

I do worry about him and dont know what to do. As much of an ejit he makes of hie self, I dont want to see him harm himself.

Opening up to you must have been a huge huge step for him. IMHO he's being a dick because he wants people to dislike/hate him as much as he hates himself. Its a means of harming himself and hurting himself.

If you want to help, you can always go for a pint again and gently broach the subject and explain you are concerned. It wouldnt hurt if you trust him with something personal yourself to establish you arent judging or being superior.

Then get him to see a counsellor if you can. Lie and tell him you are seeing one yourself if needs be. Fake it to make it as a mate recently told me.
    He needs help badly if he has gone as far as he told you. Next time he might not stop. He reached out to you for whatever reason, you might think the guy is the biggest knob ever but he's a human who is hurting so imho you should reach back.

saa wrote: »
    I have sat at a desk for 17 hours now trying to do degree work I'm just shaking with anxiety and I'm not sad at all I'm just unable and dull like I can't think as much, had two weeks to do a project for tomorrow but all I get is criticism and reduced to tears in crits/tutorials everything I do is good one week and terrible the next and I've been laughed at a lot by tutors and not listened to it will all be last minute work tomorrow, I should sleep now but the flat next doors alarm has gone off and I need to do some work before I sleep.

I used to love art, I was a top student until this year, I should have lots of work done to apply for grants, awards etc. but I can't I don't want anything to do with it now but I feel guilty for not wanting to be successful.
    Being laughed at when you have low self esteem is very rough.
    It can be cruelty without the person even realising it...

Try and take a break I guess, i know you are under a deadline but sitting there staring wont help. Get up go somewhere, do something utterly unrelated, push all thoughts of college out of your head, give yourself a complete break as a gift and then address the work again anew. You might think "I cant spare the time" but sitting there staring for hours wont get anything done either so in the end its actually more productive to break and readdress.

Jeez I sound like Agony Aunt DeV today :) These are just what I would do, your mileage may vary :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Situational update from myself. So far this year has been going very well, the odd bad day, the odd down day, the occasional moments of panic and anxiety but everything has been improving. Even the agoraphobia is starting to loosen it's grip.

I actually can't even compare my life now to a year ago, when the combination of physical and mental issues reduced me to doing nothing but lying on the floor and feeling like my life was slipping away from me.

Stomach and guts have improved to the point that the constant pain and nausea is almost completely gone...and given that I had a massive association between feeling nausea and an incoming panic attack (all my Anxious Brethren know why i reckon) that is one of the most freeing things that has happened in a long time.

I'm sleeping better, feeling better during the day. I can feel all the physical bull**** clearing up. I've been pushing myself pretty hard lately in both CBT and my own efforts to try and get better and it's all paying off. I set a record last week and went for a walk for an hour and 15 mins. Doesn't sound like much but when you consider that I pretty much didn't leave the house for 8 months last year it's pretty good going.

My family, my fiance and my friends all worry about me a lot less now, I have more and more normality bleeding back into my life...something I really didn't see happening. Instead of a murky dark ****-hole the future now feels like a great opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

DeVore wrote: »
    Being laughed at when you have low self esteem is very rough.
    It can be cruelty without the person even realising it...

Try and take a break I guess, i know you are under a deadline but sitting there staring wont help. Get up go somewhere, do something utterly unrelated, push all thoughts of college out of your head, give yourself a complete break as a gift and then address the work again anew. You might think "I cant spare the time" but sitting there staring for hours wont get anything done either so in the end its actually more productive to break and readdress.

Jeez I sound like Agony Aunt DeV today :) These are just what I would do, your mileage may vary :):)

Thanks a mill I know its so true but I'm learning how to catch myself before I get into that mindset where I can't do anything its like I'm running on low battery sometimes like I can't get outside because I won't let myself go outside sometimes self punishment I think and the hardest thing I've found this year is just being able to think clearly, I was sitting at the desk all day because I felt there was nothing else I was able to do total tunnel vision.

I'm out of, finally got into a good space to do the work for monday but the neighbours alarms been going off since 8 last night and its 1pm Sunday now, Well I'm off for a cycle going to borrow some headphones, ear plugs and buy some red bull and food, I'll get this done!

Good for you! I know that downward spiral so well... I have a mantra when I feel it starting:

Get Up, Get Out, Get On!

Get up out of the bed/couch/whatever. Get out of the house. Get on to my mates...someone is always going out somewhere or is up for a guest.

If I can't do that, get busy doing something that will take my entire attention or I use music to change my mood. Loud, fast, fun music.

Beating that downward spiral before it gets going is the key for me.

LF, that's great news, I can completely empathise. This year hasn't be perfect by any means but I really feel like the future is somewhere I want to go now. :)
    I genuinely want everyone to feel this way.

Luckily enough I'm a very headstrong character and once I realized something wasn't up, I pretty much sat down with a pen and paper and wrote out the bits of my life that were messing me up and trying to figure out the ones that were indeed solvable. The things that weren't, I accepted as being that way, but the ones that were, I set forth to fix them. Like my social anxiety - I forced myself to meet people. At first it was tough going, but now if I mention to people that I suffered from near-crippling social anxiety, they just wouldn't believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭galaxyminstrels

Ok I think I'm finally ready to admit that I have probably suffered from depression on and off for years. It seems to be triggered by a fractious relationship with my mother where for as long as I can remember she has never been nice to me. I know nice is a simple way to put it but any insult you can think of I have heard it. Obviously there are other things in my life I get down over inclduing my job and I have struggled to make friends where I Am living at the moment so I spend an awful lot of time on my own. What has made me come on here today is that after another row with my mother because she hates my hair at the moment, and her getting into a rage over the skin care products I use ( ridiculous I know ) I left the house and drove for about a half an hour crying so much I couldn't catch my breath.
    Its like the one person I should be able to tell about things in my life going well or not is the person who makes me feel constantly sad and not good enough. I feel completely alone and when I get stages like this I actually pray that some day I will be happy again. I don't have anyone to talk to about this and just feel so hopeless but numb at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maybedepressed

Hi everyone. Sorry if this is against the rules, but I really need a suggestion for a depression savvy GP in the Carlow area. I've seen quite a few GPs in the past who weren't great with depression, I found a brilliant one eventually but I've moved recently. I think I need treatment asap before this gets bad, and don't have the time or the money to "shop around". If you'd like to PM me please do. Thanks loads.

• Advertisement

I dunno if this thread would have the amount of people passing through that you might find someone from Carlow that would have an answer to that.

Buuuuut, I went straight to the source and looked up a counselor on this site: http://www.counsellingdirectory.ie/

It has a listing for counselors in Carlow for Depression.

Sorry I cant be more help... but at the very least they would know sympathetic GP's and I'm sure they would tell you over the phone if you feel you really need to see a GP.
    Good luck!

Advertisement