Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

The retail park I work in has apparently gone into receivership this morning, I'm freaking out, not sure how well I can cope with this :-( I can feel that black dog pushing up against me and if this turns badly I don't think I'll fight him off. I'm not good when I'm missing structure; money aside I need something to force me out of bed in the mornings.
    Sorry for ranting just panicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

fozzle wrote: »
    The retail park I work in has apparently gone into receivership this morning, I'm freaking out, not sure how well I can cope with this :-( I can feel that black dog pushing up against me and if this turns badly I don't think I'll fight him off. I'm not good when I'm missing structure; money aside I need something to force me out of bed in the mornings.

well if the retail park still has shops it probably will keep going regardless. you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mucky.Bucky

Many places and large establishments like hotels and supermarkets have gone into receivership and still remain open. So I think you could be ok but I know what you mean. Without my job I think I would have slept for 5 to 6 months. My job kept me busy and outside of work my mind was wandering and racing.

I was involved with an asshole who made me feel so worthless which brought about more negative feelings. I was like a dog chasing its tail looking for answers. It was a vicious spiral. The more I thought about it, the more I felt down. The more I felt down, the more I thought about it. I took his sh1t and treatment personally then transmitted all that back at him being a nasty b1tch with nasty messages which made feel worse.

I still haven't gone to the doctor for a diagnosis but I think what I went through was depression. Doing a lot better now with many good days with some days being bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

2 retail parks in Letterkenny were taken over last week, probably half the hotels, pubs and retail units are to some extent in receivership or NAMA. As long as businesses are paying rent in retail parks receivers will keep the business going as a going concern until hopefully a buyer can be found.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mucky.Bucky

Monday, Tuesday and today were fantastic for me. Didn't do anything out of the ordinary but I was able to let go most of the situation that led to being depressed go. I say most because I'm still beating myself up for my outgoing unhealthy behaviour and how I'm going to be perceived by others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Anyone know much about 5-htp? Apparently it helps depression, only came across some info on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone here has come off anti depressants after a long time and did it work out for you. Curious to see if there is a life after them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭howsyourtusk

I suffer from depression. I recently made the decision not to hide it from the majority of my friends. Up until 6 months ago only a few people knew about it. It's such a weight to bear, having to make excuses all the time, lie, pretend. It's almost as bad as the feeling itself.

Coming clean has made things easier, I feel relief. The steps I've taken to sort things out have lost me one friend and one partner in that short time and that was extremely tough but I realise I have to do what's right for me and they have to do what's right for them. I love the both of them and I hope they're both happy :)

I still feel like crap on a regular basis but now I know I can talk to so many more people about it and than in itself is a relief. Phew :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

I'm starting to realise now that I've been depressed for awhile, that I've been masking/dealing with pain by drinking and smoking copious amounts of booze and weed and that I've distanced myself from mates somewhat. I'm on a bit of a detox the past week or so after making a eejit out of myself on the session almost overdosing on pills (which I never do) and I think I'm thinking a bit clearer now than I have been recently, although I just feel numb. I never talk to anyone about feelings because I've never seen the point in it and don't really trust people, but I might give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Still (slowly) coming to the realization that I've been depressed for a long while now, with that loaded atop social phobia that's been afflicting me most of my teen/adult life.

Of the two, I'd put isolating cases of social phobia as one of the worst curses that can be inflicted upon anyone, but I'm (very slowly) making progress with it still.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭howsyourtusk

talkinyite wrote: »
    I'm starting to realise now that I've been depressed for awhile, that I've been masking/dealing with pain by drinking and smoking copious amounts of booze and weed and that I've distanced myself from mates somewhat. I'm on a bit of a detox the past week or so after making a eejit out of myself on the session almost overdosing on pills (which I never do) and I think I'm thinking a bit clearer now than I have been recently, although I just feel numb. I never talk to anyone about feelings because I've never seen the point in it and don't really trust people, but I might give it a go.

For years the only person I'd talk to was my Mam but I'd go through phases were I wouldn't and during that time I'd have no one to talk to. Simply put, after 11 years of suffering from it I know now that talking is the only cure, your own head is a dangerous place and getting those thoughts out are the best thing. Just try it, bet you'll feel relief! And if anyone judges you they don't care too much about you!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Working on counselling as promised. So far it's been both challenging (in quite a rough manner at times) and kinda fun in an odd sort of way. To tell you the truth, after a wildly turbulent start I've never felt this much at peace.
    As I wrote on twitter today "Lots of people like me. I've decided to be one of them." :)

Good luck to us all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I just want to share my own thoughts on this. I have done so in other parts of the site but i suppose this thread has a wider audience.

I suffer from depression, panic disorder and a slight personality disorder. Most people who know me in some capacity would react with "what? go away outta that!!!". That's a perfectly natural response. I'll get to that in a minute.

I like to equate depression to a "temporary wheelchair for your mind". If you lost temporary use of both your legs and had to use a wheelchair, a lot of things would go through your head: The frustration at not being able to walk like you used to, the frustration at the length of time it is taking to regain the use of your legs, a change in how you are perceived and received by those around you and an all-round longing wish for things to go back to the way they used to be.

Depression is no different in a lot of respects. The key difference is this temporary wheelchair is not visible. People definitely respond better to the visual and seen versus the invisible and unseen. This is human nature. An actual wheelchair user will receive almost unilateral sympathy, empathy and support. Their "plight" is unmissable. Someone suffering cancer, like my father went through, get universal support and empathy, nobody wants to see anybody suffer.

The reason we respond better to the visual is that we are by nature problem solvers. If we see something is broken, we try to fix it. People suffering from depression don't have the "luxury" (and i chose this word carefully but respectfully) of having a visual telltale sign. Sure some people might look down, but everyone gets down now and then. Sometimes they might look "fine" and everyone looks fine now and then. The lack of a visual and physical stimulus (like a wheelchair or a bald head from chemotherapy) means it goes unseen. By proxy; whereas sympathy/empathy/support is projected TOWARDS visual sufferance, people with unseen sufferance, like depression, must project themselves to SEEK sympathy/empathy/support.

Personally i find a lot of the problem re: support structures from family/friends comes to down to misguided good intentions. I've always felt no matter how much i am struggling and hurting, it's infinitely worse on those dear to me. As a sufferer i am at least in some control of my illness and outcome. It may be difficult but i have things i can physically do to try make things "better". My mother, brothers and friends don't have that luxury. A lot of the time, misguided good intentions come in this sort of form: friends saying "ah come out on saturday night stop being a wet blanket!!", brothers joking "ah sure you're a lazy so-and-so get up outta that bed and do something!!" or mother saying "pure lazy is what you are get up and motivate yourself".

For all that the advice may miss the point, their intentions are so pure in heart and spirit. They can't physically make me do things and i'm sure they all know deep down it's more than laziness, it's more than lethargy. But the frustration in trying to help those with depression often means those around us suffer too. I can only speak for myself but that fact doesn't go unnoticed and, if anything, slightly heightens the feeling of being no good to anyone.

Recently i took a lot of positive steps. I have a Home Care Nurse who visits once a week, she's lovely and whilst our chats for the most part are just chats, it does help. My task for this week, wait for it, was to shower and shave before my appointment with my Psychologist thursday! That might sound beyond trivial to a lot of you but basic human function at times becomes an ordeal. I've also noticed since i took the positive steps, there has been a positive reaction from friends and family. Maybe it's a coincidence with the sun being out past few days but i notice a lot of them are perkier. maybe it's no coincidence.

In truth, i joined Boards originally for 1 reason - to try post on a depression related thread over the footballer Gary Speed. My doctor joked with me last week when asked what i do and i said i post a lot on The Walking Dead forum. And he said oh right whats that, and i said it's a post-apocalyptic show about the end of the world and survival. I laughed and said i must be a psyhcologists dream!!! depressed and watching the world being eaten alive by zombies!!

To sum up a long read i have been through my own personal hell and back for roughly 18 months. I am not going to go into all the negatives but trust me i've experienced a lot from homelessness to wanting to be somewhere else. And what i realised from all that, is that i love life so much!! and want to try my hardest to regain the one thing i've lost through all this....... ME. My username is wonderfulllife and i read this line every day, it's a quote from the film:

"Remember no man is a failure who has friends"- It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

guitarzero wrote: »
    Anyone know much about 5-htp? Apparently it helps depression, only came across some info on it now.

Hi there afaik this product contains the compound "melatonin" which in some studies has shown to help with depression, SAD, and even bi-polar

I was surprised when I saw this thread as the topic of depression has been on my mind all day.
    A very close friend of mine(and a wonderful human being!) suffers from depression. She got a letter in the post on Thursday to inform her that she will no longer receive Disability alllowance. Her doctor is more than well aware of how much difficulty she has but said there was nothing he could do to help as IHO he had seen a huge amount of the patients he treats with depression just simple being "cut off".
    My heart breaks for her, this is just another worry that she cannot bear

mishkalucy wrote: »
    I was surprised when I saw this thread as the topic of depression has been on my mind all day.
    A very close friend of mine(and a wonderful human being!) suffers from depression. She got a letter in the post on Thursday to inform her that she will no longer receive Disability alllowance. Her doctor is more than well aware of how much difficulty she has but said there was nothing he could do to help as IHO he had seen a huge amount of the patients he treats with depression just simple being "cut off".
    My heart breaks for her, this is just another worry that she cannot bear

I found myself in an identical position but there is no need to panic. The community welfare officer can pay weekly Supplementary Welfare indefinitely with the doctors letters etc. This means she will not be placed under the pressure of jobseekers allowance where she has to show she is looking for work. The welfare system gets slated in here but pushing herself back to work without dealing with the problem can be a massive ordeal and setback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭shuvly

It's sunny = me happy! Had great 2 weeks off work, went to barcelona, then went on drives round the beautiful county where I live, all on my own. Have just had two gorgeous days on the beach a minute from my home...work is hell but the real life is great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

The sun, or the scareball as us nightshift guys call it, makes everything worse. It's like a giant eye staring down at me, judging me for all my sins and the sins of my father. It mocks me.

She got a letter in the post on Thursday to inform her that she will no longer receive Disability alllowance. Her doctor is more than well aware of how much difficulty she has but said there was nothing he could do to help as IHO he had seen a huge amount of the patients he treats with depression just simple being "cut off".
    Hmm, is this common at the moment? People with serious diagnosable mental health problems being cut off from disability?

If that's the case that's absolutely inexcusable; to hear peoples issues are not being taken seriously (and at a time when they may need financial help the most), especially when this country is already so poor on support for mental health.

I found myself in an identical position but there is no need to panic. The community welfare officer can pay weekly Supplementary Welfare indefinitely with the doctors letters etc. This means she will not be placed under the pressure of jobseekers allowance where she has to show she is looking for work. The welfare system gets slated in here but pushing herself back to work without dealing with the problem can be a massive ordeal and setback.

The letter she got said she could go to the cwo but that she may only receive payment after she had registered for jobseekers yada yada.
    She always worked(would put anyone to shame!) until this depression hit her and the thought that any further stress put on her would make things worse for her, I hate it. Jobseekers is so not an option for her.

• Advertisement

Hmm, is this common at the moment? People with serious diagnosable mental health problems being cut off from disability?

If that's the case that's absolutely inexcusable; to hear peoples issues are not being taken seriously (and at a time when they may need financial help the most), especially when this country is already so poor on support for mental health.

Yes unfortunately. For example, in my case, i have it from my GP, a psychologist and psychiatrist all saying i'm clinically depressed with panic disorder and a slight personality disorder and they cut me off and told me to seek jobseekers allowance. My doctor had a fit over it, he was raging, said it would be the worst thing i could do right now to try push back into employment without addressing my illnesses

The letter she got said she could go to the cwo but that she may only receive payment after she had registered for jobseekers yada yada.
    She always worked(would put anyone to shame!) until this depression hit her and the thought that any further stress put on her would make things worse for her, I hate it. Jobseekers is so not an option for her.

Dont worry i didnt have to apply for jobseekers despite being told similar, the CWO's are for the most part pretty good as usually they work in the same offices as the mental health teams. She'll be fine just get down to the CWO with a doctors letter.

Yes unfortunately. For example, in my case, i have it from my GP, a psychologist and psychiatrist all saying i'm clinically depressed with panic disorder and a slight personality disorder and they cut me off and told me to seek jobseekers allowance. My doctor had a fit over it, he was raging, said it would be the worst thing i could do right now to try push back into employment without addressing my illnesses
    :mad: Christ that kind of carry on is enraging, can totally see why your doctor would be angry as well. Any idea if this kind of stuff has been going on long? (how long ago was that?)

Maybe would be worth writing a letter with your doctor and sending it off to your local TD's (and having others in the same situation do that); it's screwing over people that are potentially the most vulnerable and in need.

It is true. As wonderfullife will atest to. We are random strangers on the internet and have the same info. My friend jumped through allof the hoops,went to every appointment for the SW when she was "called for". Has multiple docs, psych etc reports and just gets the letter in the post. I am fully aware of how awful the mental health services are in this country as we had a suicide in the family some years ago

It is true. As wonderfullife will atest to. We are random strangers on the internet and have the same info. My friend jumped through allof the hoops,went to every appointment for the SW when she was "called for". Has multiple docs, psych etc reports and just gets the letter in the post. I am fully aware of how awful the mental health services are in this country as we had a suicide in the family some years ago
    Ya I personally find it unbelievable, when we are being taxed to fúck as well (and still only at the start of all that); if that's going on on such a wide scale it really needs immediate attention.

It's very sad indeed how this country views mental health, including neurological and psychiatric disorders. When I look back before my friend developed this you would never have said this was in the post for her. Scary thought that this horrid thing can strike anyone at any time in their life. No-one is immune and there is no vaccine

:mad: Christ that kind of carry on is enraging, can totally see why your doctor would be angry as well. Any idea if this kind of stuff has been going on long? (how long ago was that?)

Maybe would be worth writing a letter with your doctor and sending it off to your local TD's (and having others in the same situation do that); it's screwing over people that are potentially the most vulnerable and in need.

The thing i found , and maybe others too, is that with my illness i find it so much of an ordeal to deal with the social welfare people and the concept of going to a TD or writing letters is tough for me. I find it hard enough to get out of bed and shower, havent been out of bed in a few days now. It's just a sad state of affairs that in 2012 we're still woefully neglectful of mental health and the old approach of having to go to your TD to get anything sorted still prevails.

@ wonderfulllife
    I don't think she could even CONTEMPLATE dealing with a TD.
    She's stuck in a place that she can't get out of

The thing i found , and maybe others too, is that with my illness i find it so much of an ordeal to deal with the social welfare people and the concept of going to a TD or writing letters is tough for me. I find it hard enough to get out of bed and shower, havent been out of bed in a few days now. It's just a sad state of affairs that in 2012 we're still woefully neglectful of mental health and the old approach of having to go to your TD to get anything sorted still prevails.
    Yes true indeed, just hard to think what might have an impact and reverse that (not on an individual basis, but the whole policy); needs media and political attention to reverse.

• Advertisement

does anyone mind if I just throw this out there????
    How many people have you heard of recently who have committed suicide?
    I have to be honest I am sick to the back teeth as ever few weeks I hear of another suicide.
    Does further pressure on people with mental health issues help?
    Not in my opinion

Why are we not hearing about this?
    Because if the public really knew what was going on and knew how many people were taking their own lives I would hope there would be an outcry

Advertisement