Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I took a pretty bad knock today off someone, feel ****ing down as a down thing now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

@cloud493 I hope you feel more positive today.

When I got in last night I cleaned.There is something about a clean house that cheers me up.

I hope you have a better day today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AngryPensioner

No Psychiatrist has ever proven a mental disorder to be a real biological illness. These people are responsible for lobotomizing countless numbers of people. We locked up more prisoners in these Institutions per head of capita than the Soviet Union.

Respect those who carried out heinous crimes? I value my integrity too much to agree with general consensus. Too many people died as a result of their actions. Rest in piece to those that died at their hands. This Institution will become the next catholic church.

Absolutely Disgusting crimes were carried out on your fellow Irish men and women in these places. Expect ban for standing up for those of the past who weren't allowed have a voice in their favor. Chances are somebody in your extended family died in one of these places:(

http://www.imt.ie/lifestyle/2011/09/looking-behind-the-walls.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

No Psychiatrist has ever proven a mental disorder to be a real biological illness. These people are responsible for lobotomizing countless numbers of people. We locked up more prisoners in these Institutions per head of capita than the Soviet Union.

Respect those who carried out heinous crimes? I value my integrity too much to agree with general consensus. Too many people died as a result of their actions. Rest in piece to those that died at their hands. This Institution will become the next catholic church.

Absolutely Disgusting crimes were carried out on your fellow Irish men and women in these places. Expect ban for standing up for those of the past who weren't allowed have a voice in their favor. Chances are somebody in your extended family died in one of these places:(

http://www.imt.ie/lifestyle/2011/09/looking-behind-the-walls.html

You're not a Scientologist by any chance?

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    You're not a Scientologist by any chance?

No. I am angry that a distant relative died in one of these prisons however. The people responsible should be held to account by the High courts of this land. Scientology is dangerous rubbish. Amnesty International has proven that the Irish Mental Health Act 2001 is not even compliant with International Human Rights standards.

http://www.amnesty.ie/sites/default/files/Plain%20English%20MHA%20review%20Aug%2011.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Badly run and underfunded psychiatric care is not an argument against psychiatric care, its an argument against underfunding, and against running things badly.

Many kids were abused in school. We haven't stopped sending kids to school.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

All of the stuff about eating healthyily is great but worth fúck all when you can't muster the will to put the kettle on never mind chop stuff up and cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

No Psychiatrist has ever proven a mental disorder to be a real biological illness.

You clearly missed the video of Robert Sapolksy, a neuroscientist and anthropologist, posted by nesf earlier.

This is depressing
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16423538

Morgan's comments on depression are scandalous

DeVore wrote: »
    Badly run and underfunded psychiatric care is not an argument against psychiatric care, its an argument against underfunding, and against running things badly.

Many kids were abused in school. We haven't stopped sending kids to school.

DeV.

It is when you consider that psychiatric care labels are used to justify locking people up against their will. I am not naive enough to believe the errors of the "Dangerous Lunatics Act" of the 1800's cannot surface again in modern times.

http://www.historyireland.com/volumes/volume13/issue6/features/?id=113983

To those suffering from Depression, one of the few "real" disorders, please seek help of a counselor or professional such as a Neurologist. Just be aware of the absolutely supreme powers Psychiatrists have over you in this country.

We treat the mentally ill absolutely horribly in this country. Mental Illness treatment is not exclusive to Psychiatry. Please Remember this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Your comments relate to the past. A good friend of mine currently battling with this illness found the Mercy Hospital psychiatric unit in Cork amazing.
    It depends on the institution. St Patrick's in Dublin is supposed to be excellent. I have not heard good things about St Stephen's in Cork, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Sharrow wrote: »
    All of the stuff about eating healthyily is great but worth fúck all when you can't muster the will to put the kettle on never mind chop stuff up and cook.

Same for exercise.the other day I lied down on the couch for the day,i physically could not move,to make food,never mind leaving the house and exercising

It is when you consider that psychiatric care labels are used to justify locking people up against their will. I am not naive enough to believe the errors of the "Dangerous Lunatics Act" of the 1800's cannot surface again in modern times.

http://www.historyireland.com/volumes/volume13/issue6/features/?id=113983

To those suffering from Depression, one of the few "real" disorders, please seek help of a counselor or professional such as a Neurologist. Just be aware of the absolutely supreme powers Psychiatrists have over you in this country.

We treat the mentally ill absolutely horribly in this country. Mental Illness treatment is not exclusive to Psychiatry. Please Remember this.

You do realise practice has changed and that almost nobody gets detained against they're will anymore. In fact some would say its too hard to do it now (I'm not saying that myself - I don't know - but I've heard it said - in fact there are often threads on personal issues relating to this kind of thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Sharrow wrote: »
    Same for exercise.the other day I lied down on the couch for the day,i physically could not move,to make food,never mind leaving the house and exercising

yes but some days you will. If you can, do so. If you cannot, don't beat yourself up about it.

sheesh wrote: »
    yes but some days you will. If you can, do so. If you cannot, don't beat yourself up about it.

but well for me, the amount that i can do it isn't enough. today i've just done a walk/jog for 35mins, and i'm cooking myself a proper meal,but the most i'll get that is 4 days a week.

You do realise practice has changed and that almost nobody gets detained against they're will anymore. In fact some would say its too hard to do it now (I'm not saying that myself - I don't know - but I've heard it said - in fact there are often threads on personal issues relating to this kind of thing)

Maybe this is the case, but speaking of the law derived from our constitution, this is still possible. If the highest courts in the land approve of these practices, the practices have not "changed". Either the very Act is amended to reflect the removal of these dangerous practices, or it is still in effect. Or at least has the potential to.

Potential is a dangerous word. Once you remove potential, the danger is alleviated. It only takes two Psychiatrists in this country to give an opinion pertaining to frying your brain with electricity given no consent. This is unacceptable, as illustrated by the Amnesty letter.

If you suffer from Depression, you should just keep this in mind. I am not qualified to give medical advice either way. Nobody posting here is. This information is not legally binding. Demand better support NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

sheesh wrote: »

Easier said then done, I honestly somedays am so grateful that I have my kids.
    They and their well being are what motivate me to cook for them when I'd rather be in bed with a packet of biscuits.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

To those suffering from Depression, one of the few "real" disorders, please seek help of a counselor or professional such as a Neurologist.

Thanks, but this thread is about Depression so the rest of the discussion is off topic and you've said your piece and not been banned. I think we should return to topic now.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I have Bipolar Effective Disorder and I find that I have on days, off days and days like today-when I just want to punch the world in the face.

Great News for people. Pieta House is expanding their services across the country:) I know one person who appreciates their live saving support.

http://galwayindependent.com/stories/item/531/2011-52/Seeking-help

• Advertisement

I've read the book written by the foundation of pieta house, she talks about self harm mostly, but also depression itself. Have to say I disagreed with she says on some points, but pieta house is a fantastic organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You do realise practice has changed and that almost nobody gets detained against they're will anymore.

Not true, some people have to be because they're in no fit state of mind to make such a decision for themselves. It's an unfortunate reality of the diseases.

What would the circumstances have to be, to be admitted to a psychiatric unit against someone's will? Like

1. How could it come about, could it be organized for someone by a relative or friend say?
    2. If you were admitted to an ER, how would that work?
    3. How long would you have to stay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

John McCarthy died yesterday, founder of Mad Pride. A good man. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

What are people's views on support groups?

I've recently started re-attending them again after a year or so absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

cloud493 wrote: »
    What would the circumstances have to be, to be admitted to a psychiatric unit against someone's will? Like

1. How could it come about, could it be organized for someone by a relative or friend say?
    2. If you were admitted to an ER, how would that work?
    3. How long would you have to stay?

If I remember correctly a doctor can do it on their own for a set period of time, I can't remember whether doctors can keep extending it or whether the family has to sign off on it after a certain point.

Being acutely suicidal can get you put in a secure/locked ward (varies hospital to hospital), being violent or a danger towards others will too. The last group are people who are properly psychotic and completely out of touch with reality, they can be locked up for a while until they come back to reality. There are probably other types that I'm forgetting.

I've seen people go into lockdown and come out in a week when I was in hospital. Normally attempted suicides who were kept under tight supervision for the first week, lesser supervision after that and eventually given full freedoms to move around and so on. I've heard of people kept in over 12 months or longer when they were either badly psychotic or actively suicidal and couldn't be even left have shoelaces.

Ah, that sounds like what I've heard, but I wasn't treated like that at all :/
    Probably long day for the treating doctor or something :)

nesf wrote: »
    If I remember correctly a doctor can do it on their own for a set period of time, I can't remember whether doctors can keep extending it or whether the family has to sign off on it after a certain point.

Being acutely suicidal can get you put in a secure/locked ward (varies hospital to hospital), being violent or a danger towards others will too. The last group are people who are properly psychotic and completely out of touch with reality, they can be locked up for a while until they come back to reality. There are probably other types that I'm forgetting.

and that's why I was afraid to go to casualty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Damn im having the worst of it at the minute, im so down and out since stephens's day and theres nothing will lift it. I went to the Doctor today and hes sending me up to aa psychiatrists as he dosent want to change me meds, which is a good thing as hes a GP and dosent know his way around the anti-psychotics.
    He did gimme a really strong sleeping pill as even though im fatigued as shít I havent slept more than 4 hours since last thursday, and the madness is setting in.
    I truly wish I was dead just so I dont have to feel like this anymore.

Advertisement