Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's going to require a group community effort to fix this, or it's going to go on indefinitely until it escalates to a point where something really (i.e. horrifically) bad happens.

public awareness into basic deterrent security measures is the key.

make everyone aware it's happening (if you're not reading boards.ie or talking to an affected neighbour) and what they can do to help prevent it, such as all the things that have been suggested here, like not leaving keys in sight of the letterbox and not leaving keys inside in the back door etc.

keep valuables locked up and out of sight and do your best to not look like a target.

our front doorbell is broken and i'm actually not going to fix it as anyone we know will have our phone number and won't be cold calling.

we have curtains in front of the front door which stay drawn unless we're coming in or going out. it's primarily to keep out the cold, but it stops snoopers from peering through the letterbox or front windows either side of the door. same on the back too and the blinds are usually down in all the downstairs windows if we're not at home.

we have a deadlock on the front door in addition to the main door lock with the handle and a big padlock on the side gate, which itself is nice and sturdy.

and a house alarm with sensors on all the doors and windows.

oh and 3 high res night vision security cameras connected to a DVR covering the whole place from all angles so anyone dodgy coming into the cul de sac will be ending up on youtube. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

vibe666 wrote: »

oh and 3 high res night vision security cameras connected to a DVR covering the whole place from all angles so anyone dodgy coming into the cul de sac will be ending up on youtube. :D

Good stuff Vibe but do the other neighbours mind you filming outside your property boundary or are they ok with it? Its a good deterrent allright in any event!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

it's going to require a group community effort to fix this, or it's going to go on indefinitely until it escalates to a point where something really (i.e. horrifically) bad happens.

public awareness into basic deterrent security measures is the key.

make everyone aware it's happening (if you're not reading boards.ie or talking to an affected neighbour) and what they can do to help prevent it, such as all the things that have been suggested here, like not leaving keys in sight of the letterbox and not leaving keys inside in the back door etc.

keep valuables locked up and out of sight and do your best to not look like a target.

our front doorbell is broken and i'm actually not going to fix it as anyone we know will have our phone number and won't be cold calling.

we have curtains in front of the front door which stay drawn unless we're coming in or going out. it's primarily to keep out the cold, but it stops snoopers from peering through the letterbox or front windows either side of the door. same on the back too and the blinds are usually down in all the downstairs windows if we're not at home.

we have a deadlock on the front door in addition to the main door lock with the handle and a big padlock on the side gate, which itself is nice and sturdy.

and a house alarm with sensors on all the doors and windows.

Hi Vibe666

Maybe you should change this a bit as if you are being scoped by a burglar then they will know if the blinds are down you are out, draw some when you are home in the evenings, change things about a bit.
    There's a lot of fast break in's happening now, kick in a door, run to the main bedroom and grab the gold stuff and out again, 2 minutes max.
    Your security looks good and I hate to say this but sometimes to some burglar's, cameras's indicate affluence, something to protect.;)

ronan45 wrote: »
    Good stuff Vibe but do the other neighbours mind you filming outside your property boundary or are they ok with it? Its a good deterrent allright in any event!
    i'm guessing they won't mind if it keeps them from being burgled as well. ;)

although legally speaking, i don't believe there is any law against a private citizen filming in public places is there?

i'm actually only renting the house anyway and the landlord put the cctv in a few years back to keep out his ex-wife.

i've only been in the place a couple of months and don't know any of my neighbours yet, but i'm sure if it came down to it they will be happier than not that someone is doing something to reduce the chances that anyone near me getting robbed.

i was thinking of getting another camera to replace the front door peep hole to get a good facial shot of anyone that comes knocking and have a little sign next to it saying 'smile, you're on camera'. :D

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »

Has anyone seen the precautions at "Nirvana" the house on Castleknock road.
    They were published in the Papers some years ago so no Ban or wipe of post please.
    I like the moat with the retractable bridge and that the windows are flush to the walls, Spiderman might have a chance.

i'm guessing they won't mind if it keeps them from being burgled as well. ;)

although legally speaking, i don't believe there is any law against a private citizen filming in public places is there?

i'm actually only renting the house anyway and the landlord put the cctv in a few years back to keep out his ex-wife.

i've only been in the place a couple of months and don't know any of my neighbours yet, but i'm sure if it came down to it they will be happier than not that someone is doing something to reduce the chances that anyone near me getting robbed.

i was thinking of getting another camera to replace the front door peep hole to get a good facial shot of anyone that comes knocking and have a little sign next to it saying 'smile, you're on camera'. :D

If they don't like them they can make you move them focus wise, infringing on their privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nomesc

If only people were willing to get involved with neighbourhood watch or actually get to know their neighbours. I'm not saying know everyone's business but it would help to know the people that live around you. I know it's not a full solution but I think it would help. So paranoid these days hearing different stories about break ins. It is scary. Even when I leave the house for 5 mins to do the school run, the doors get locked and the alarm goes on

nudger wrote: »
    If they don't like them they can make you move them focus wise, infringing on their privacy.
    i checked them this morning and the cameras don't show anyone else's houses or gardens, only cover my house and the street (i.e just the road and footpath) leading up to us (it's a cul de sac) and the open green in front.

the other thing is, the DVR is so far out of the way that it's never viewed. i was actually looking for where it was for the first month we were in the house because i didn't know where it was and i couldn't even find where it was even though i was actively looking for it. :o

in the end i had to ask the landlord and he told me, but it would still take me 20 minutes just to get in to were it is, even knowing it's there.

so the short version is, if something is filmed but nobody ever watches it, is it really infringing on anything?

Im a Robber... If I see your house has

A Large Metal Side Gate with Padlock
    CCTV
    Alarm System
    Lights on Inside (Looks like activity)

I am going to walk by your house and see how the Jone's next door are doing ;)

If in the Jones residence I see the following

Crap Old wooden Gate hanging off its hinges
    Unlocked Side Gate
    No Signs Of activity
    A Window open
    No sign of security CCTV/Alarm

I think Ill pop in and see whats cooking with Mr Jones.
    Anyone else if you have any tips to secure your home & belongings pop them up here. Knowledge is Power as they say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Im a Robber... If I see your house has

A Large Metal Side Gate with Padlock
    CCTV
    Alarm System
    Lights on Inside (Looks like activity)

One of these lads are as good as any of those :D

article-2061332-0ECE148300000578-20_306x423.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Bit more expensive on foot, vets bills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Has anyone seen the precautions at "Nirvana" the house on Castleknock road.
    No...I know the house you are referring to though but never seen the "precautions"?

fletch wrote: »
    No...I know the house you are referring to though but never seen the "precautions"?

That guy sporting the blue shorts IS "the precautions"
    Dont underestimate his diminutive frame fletch he packs a mean rabbit punch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 whatthef111

Living in hartstown and today was making a cupa when i seen a man in my back garden, he had obviously came thru the side gate, he ran when he noticed id seen him. i rang the guards , gave a good description. they said they would send a car up to patrol the area , hours later and not a sign of one garda car.

That guy sporting the blue shorts IS "the precautions"
    Dont underestimate his diminutive frame fletch he packs a mean rabbit punch

The plans of the house were in one of the property pages back around 10 years ago, couldn't find the article but from memory all the windows are toughened glass, special security frames flush to the walls. There is a panic room with it's own air supply down in the basement, but what I loved was the retractable bridge over the mote, I would be inviting Phonewatch to the door and pull in the bridge.:D
    It was being built for Fran Rooney, head of the FAI at the time, don't know if he lived there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

but what I loved was the retractable bridge over the mote, I would be inviting Phonewatch to the door and pull in the bridge.:D
    It was being built for Fran Rooney, head of the FAI at the time, don't know if he lived there though.

Jebus Christ......... Im surprised there isnt a portculis for a front door and arrow slits on the house gable ends, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

There has been a major garda operation in Mulhuddart since 7pm yesterday. At 10am this morning at least ten guards still in place.

Between Castlecurragh and the Tolka valley has been blocked off all through it.

Has anyone an idea of what's happening?

Jebus Christ......... Im surprised there isnt a portculis for a front door and arrow slits on the house gable ends, lol

Can you imagine the head on the Burglar after jumping over the very high wall and looking at the moat, on come the lights, spots the cameras, can't get back over the wall, "Ah feck".

Might be something to do with the shooting in Tallaght.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Not surei think there is ongoing issues in the area
    Might be something to do with the shooting in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭timbel

Saw some crime scene tape in the park opposite Saddlers estate in Mulhuddart, plus a garda standing there yesterday at ~8am on the way to work.

No mention of anything in the papers though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Lads going door to door in my estate in Littlepace today, when I answered the door they said they were window cleaners looking for business. I asked him for his mobile number, he couldn't remember it at first, had no business cards or flyers or anything. Very suspect. Be vigilant.

My sister saw the lead from one of the windows on the front door was missing. She literally was gone for 20 minutes. Not sure if it was the kids. She spoke to somebody who said it looked like somebody was going to try break in. She fixed it up had it repaired . 7 days later it was gone again.

A week before this happened, they had a window cleaners knocking at the door.

someone came round the other day from the residents association with a letter informing everyone in the estate (porters gate) that there had been a lot of burglaries recently (3 in the estate the previous weekend apparently) and asking for everyone to help with keeping the estate safe.

they were suggesting people just going for walks and making a visible presence in the estate in the evenings to make people think twice. not sure how effective it could actually be, but it would have to be better than nothing.

someone came round the other day from the residents association with a letter informing everyone in the estate (porters gate) that there had been a lot of burglaries recently (3 in the estate the previous weekend apparently) and asking for everyone to help with keeping the estate safe.

they were suggesting people just going for walks and making a visible presence in the estate in the evenings to make people think twice. not sure how effective it could actually be, but it would have to be better than nothing.

Im sure I heard of that idea before somewhere!:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Mcgw2lWDs

sounds like a plan.

do you think bobcat goldthwait is still available? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Hey guys

Anyone know why the Garda helicopter was hovering over Littlepace/Castaheaney last night? I could hear the sirens from Garda cars too....just interested to know what was happening :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

They were filming a new movie.......cops and robbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

I saw the aftermath of two cars involved in a serious accident at the N3 interchange trafffic lights at around 10.30. There were a number of garda cars at the scene plus we passed two more on the main road next to the Paddocks. I suspect they had been searching for someone/ a car in the estates nearby. The helicopter was supporting their efforts, I guess.

Advertisement