Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

BostonB wrote: »
    A friend had their car broken into in Tyrrelstown last night. Car not taken though.

I wonder though its this not all normal rate of crime in the area. We just don't usually hear baout it.

My area has certainly skyrocketed in the last year, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

BostonB wrote: »
    A friend had their car broken into in Tyrrelstown last night. Car not taken though.

I wonder though its this not all normal rate of crime in the area. We just don't usually hear baout it.

I think it's better that we do hear about it, I know it's not nice to be hearing all this bad news but if it makes a few Bordies lock up a bit better, tighten up their security, be aware of their neighbours comings and goings, and mention any strange callers to them so they can keep an eye out also, it can only be a good thing.
    Hate to say it but things are going to get worse and soon I feel.
    Doesn't take long to turn the key in your door when you come in back and front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

There seems to be a good case to be made for noting any vehicles or people handing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

mattb74 wrote: »
    I had my car stolen from my driveway last night in Mount Symon, Clonsilla. Gutted.

Still no sign of the car. I also forgot to mention that there was a Bugaboo buggy (red/grey) in the boot so if anybody hears of one being offered under suspicious circumstances please let me know. It would fetch around €400 if sold second hand. Also a nice pair of Columbia hiking boots and a rare Nike ski jacket (v.warm!) oh yes and my glasses. Grrrrrr
    I have also heard of cars being stolen in Porters Gate and Summerfield in the last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I had my car stolen from my driveway last night in Mount Symon, Clonsilla. Gutted.

Still no sign of the car. I also forgot to mention that there was a Bugaboo buggy (red/grey) in the boot so if anybody hears of one being offered under suspicious circumstances please let me know. It would fetch around €400 if sold second hand. Also a nice pair of Columbia hiking boots and a rare Nike ski jacket (v.warm!) oh yes and my glasses. Grrrrrr
    I have also heard of cars being stolen in Porters Gate and Summerfield in the last week.

It'll probably turn up burnt out after a gangland hit or an attempted raid on a cash van unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

It'll probably turn up burnt out after a gangland hit or an attempted raid on a cash van unfortunately

Of the number of cars stolen, the numbers used in serious crimes such as murders or cash raids is miniscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Of the number of cars stolen, the numbers used in serious crimes such as murders or cash raids is miniscule.

Im an awful fecker for forgetting to lock my car. :eek:
    Is there any numbers/statisitics available on the amount of car thefts in D15?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Heard that yesterday in the primary school in Roselawn, St. Fransis Xaviors, 4 teachers had their cars broken into during school time. Windows smashed and things taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Was it a Bugaboo Cameleon/Frog/Bee/Donkey? Would help to keep an eye out for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

January wrote: »
    Was it a Bugaboo Cameleon/Frog/Bee/Donkey? Would help to keep an eye out for it...

Bugaboo Cameleon, no particularly distinguishing features other than the black bag at the bottom was broken (cord missing so it can't be tightened up)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 robbiethegreat

2 of my cars were broken into on the 20/1/12 around 5.30am this morning in the d15 area a lot of damage was done to the cars but there was nothing worth of value in them so nothing was takin . this is the 6th time the cars have been broken into in the last 3 years and 1 car stolen in the last 5 years also other cars on the road have been done aswell. im sick of this **** paying extra for insurance every year for some ****er to wreck my cars and everyone elses . does any1 have any names on who could be doing this around the area. i have 2 names already who broke into my neighbours home and car but they have dissapeard but the breakins still seem to be happening . your help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

2 of my cars were broken into on the 20/1/12 around 5.30am this morning in the d15 area a lot of damage was done to the cars but there was nothing worth of value in them so nothing was takin . this is the 6th time the cars have been broken into in the last 3 years and 1 car stolen in the last 5 years also other cars on the road have been done aswell. im sick of this **** paying extra for insurance every year for some ****er to wreck my cars and everyone elses . does any1 have any names on who could be doing this around the area. i have 2 names already who broke into my neighbours home and car but they have dissapeard but the breakins still seem to be happening . your help would be great

The area robbiethegreat is taking about is Castlefield Woods (unless I'm mistaken). They are taking turns on each area - carpenterstown, mount simon, roselawn and now castlfield.

A woman around the area was ironing in her house and someone broke in in broad daylight. She smacked him across the face with the iron and broke his jaw & burnt him. I'm not advocating violence but I would have done the same given the circumstances.

The guards said the are casing houses by knocking on the doors and pretending to look for sponsorships, to check to see if anybody is in the house.

Somebody said that as they have had so many breakins to the their car that as its an automatic and it cant be moved they just leave it open - saves on getting the windows/doors replaced if damaged I guess.

Be extra vigilant with your house when there alone, set the alarm lock the doors. I know it sounds like were living in compton or somewhere but I wouldnt like someone breaking in whilst I was there.

alibaba12 wrote: »

The area robbiethegreat is taking about is Castlefield Woods (unless I'm mistaken). They are taking turns on each area - carpenterstown, mount simon, roselawn and now castlfield.

A woman around the area was ironing in her house and someone broke in in broad daylight. She smacked him across the face with the iron and broke his jaw & burnt him. I'm not advocating violence but I would have done the same given the circumstances.

The guards said the are casing houses by knocking on the doors and pretending to look for sponsorships, to check to see if anybody is in the house.

Somebody said that as they have had so many breakins to the their car that as its an automatic and it cant be moved they just leave it open - saves on getting the windows/doors replaced if damaged I guess.

Be extra vigilant with your house when there alone, set the alarm lock the doors. I know it sounds like were living in compton or somewhere but I wouldnt like someone breaking in whilst I was there.

Any idea on the age of these feckers doing this or whether they are from the d15 area? The sad thing is even if they are caught the guards can only arrest them and they are out again after afew hours. The system needs a serious review. Sorry to hear the bad news robbiethegreat :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Am I alone in wishing one of our many politicians would speak up and try to get something sorted. We had a record number of candidates in the bye-election in October...where are they all now. We have two ministers and two other TDs in the Constituency...where are they all?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I had my car broken into several times over the past couple of years and finally it was stolen and destroyed last September.:(

I now chubb lock and deadlock my front door when I go out. I live near Castlenkock village for the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Might be time to Invest in a cctv system lads and ladettes. 2 or 3 cameras!
    Might cost 600 or so but it may get you a discount in your insurance premium and peace of mind more so. I know if I was a criminal and saw a camera I would move on to another target.
    Hope the perpatrators are caught.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Lads and ladies, if you have broadband and a wireless router you can have a security camera for under €80.

Check out these - http://mydlink.dlink.com/products/DCS-930L

You set them up and connect them to your wireless router, any time somebody enters your driveway or whatever they will take a picture and emial it to you. There's also an iPhone app so you can view the video feed from them live in real time. Well worth the money!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A warning about using cheap devices.
    Are these images recorded anywhere else. ?
    Digital imagry can be dismissed as unreliable in court if it does not contain a digital watermark to prove it has not been altered.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

KoolKid wrote: »
    Digital imagry can be dismissed as unreliable in court if it does not contain a digital watermark to prove it has not been altered.

Chap I work with used a similar device because he was sick and tired of scumbags having a go at his classic cars.
    He caught them on video using one of these cheap devices.
    Gardai used it to identify the culprits and it was admissable as evidence.
    He shared the images with the team in work to demonstrate how effective it was.

So no, they're perfectly usable. I daresay the average judge in this country wouldn't know a digital watermark from a steak dinner.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I said they can be dismissed. Obviousally the Guards will produce any evidence they can. But a good barrister will get them dismissed,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Feel free to buy a dearer one if you find it "reassuringly expensive" I find these ones work fine for me...

They wouldn't be that much dearer. Its just one of those things you need to be aware of.

Not exactly a break in... but some feckers stole our wheelie bins last night from outside the house :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Ouch, last I checked they were a 100 quid each to replace.

Ahhhh don't tell me that :( I can do without the brown one... but I haven't got 100 euro to replace a bin, feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

I said they can be dismissed. Obviousally the Guards will produce any evidence they can. But a good barrister will get them dismissed,

Anything is possible but if you want to defend your well-informed position.. knock yourself out :pac: I could care less

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Andofitz

Mine was broken into and ransacked yesterday 20/1/12 in driveway , ( Charnwood)

Anything is possible but if you want to defend your well-informed position.. knock yourself out :pac: I could care less

Simply pointing out the downside to some systems.Seeing some scumbag on video robbing your property & then getting freed because the images can not be verified is very frustrating. You buy CCTV for this reason.
    Anyway I'm simply passing on some helpful information , others may be interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

a friends house was broken into monday in mount view

• Advertisement

A V A wrote: »
    a friends house was broken into monday in mount view

Any idea what time? What was taken? Did they have an alarm?

Advertisement