Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jmcturk

They were following a stolen car, he eventually crashed coming off slip road onto N3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

jmcturk wrote: »
    They were following a stolen car, he eventually crashed coming off slip road onto N3

Hope that thief is ok:(, Pull through buddy. He was just going about his nightly work and that happens:mad: My thoughts are with him.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

slavedave wrote: »
    I saw the aftermath of two cars involved in a serious accident at the N3 interchange trafffic lights at around 10.30.

Around 11.10. I had been on the 2220 service of the 70 to Dunboyne and noticed the accident as we were coming back out of Littlepace. It definitely wasn't there when we went in, so it had only happened in the prior 2-3 minutes!

There was a fair Garda presence, I'd say at least four cop cars and about six+ Gards total. When we drove past, they were still scurrying around getting stuff from their cars and frantically trying to sort out traffic that had rapidly built up.

Spoke with the bus driver on arrival in Dunboyne, one guy was being restrained by at least two Gards - so that must've been him. Was quite a head-on shunt, the damage to the cars involved was pretty extensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sunny17

Yeah it was much later then 10pm or even 11pm if the clock in my bedroom is right it was like 5am!! not sure what was going on but was a pain in the ass and when I eventually went back to sleep I kept dreaming that I was being pulled in for speeding on the M50 by the Gardai Helicopter!!!!! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

Sunny17 wrote: »
    Yeah it was much later then 10pm or even 11pm if the clock in my bedroom is right it was like 5am!! not sure what was going on but was a pain in the ass and when I eventually went back to sleep I kept dreaming that I was being pulled in for speeding on the M50 by the Gardai Helicopter!!!!! ;-)

It was hovering over Littlepace at 5am on Saturday night / Sunday morning alright...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Just the boys in blue doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Seems odd but there are reports in the Herald of an altercation ending up with 3 people being stabbed. Odd in the sense that nothing refers to it online but here is a scan of the article

her.jpg

her2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Seems odd but there are reports in the Herald of an altercation ending up with 3 people being stabbed. Odd in the sense that nothing refers to it online but here is a scan of the article

her.jpg

her2.jpg

I was in A&E sunday waiting with a friend and saw 2 of the people who were stabbed and also chatted to the guy who was run over, scarey stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

There was a serious issue in Clonee Sunday but it seems to the online newspapers have over looked the story completely.

It was front page news in the Herald yesterday.

A taxi driver stabbed three women, randomly it would seem and ran a bloke down in his garden with his Taxi.

How on earth has this incident not made the news more prominently. Are the media selective when it comes to incidents of such nature?

The Herald online doesn't even reproduce it's report. It all looks a little convenient to me that certain storied are not making the national media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

This news to me as I don't buy the Herald. Are there any more details?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Yeah, its weird isn't it why a story like that didn't hit the news in a bigger way.

see here

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

Quite obvious why it was not headlines,but I better not say. The clue is in the 5th paragraph of the second scan in the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Now online.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/taxi-driver-on-assault-charge-3025302.html

THE victim of a stabbing incident was being treated last night as her alleged attacker was remanded in custody.

It is understood that the woman was attacked at her home in Clonee, Co Dublin early on Sunday.

A taxi driver appeared in Blanchardstown District Court yesterday in connection with the incident.

Lateef Fatal Bello (40) of the Park, Pheasants Run, Clonee, was charged with two assaults and carrying out an aggravated burglary while in possession of two knives at Littlepace Close, Clonee.

Mr Bello was remanded in custody to appear on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

mad stuff alright and as usual the news is full of bullsh1t stories about (alleged) celebrities and their pointless antics. :(

The way in which the Herald dropped the use of the wording 'black man' and the fact that the serious incident is largely unreported is a prime example of how the media what you should and should not know.

I'd like the media to give me all the facts and let me decide what I tihnk of it rather than being economical with the truth.

One question i asked myself was, "was he vetted to drive a taxi"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Why? Because he went on the rampage with a knife? Because he is coloured? Because he has a non-Irish name?

Why? Because he went on the rampage with a knife? Because he is coloured? Because he has a non-Irish name?

You mean Colored ?

Yes partly and also because on the Marian Finucane show last week a senior Garda admitted under questioning that foreign nationals were not vetted due to lack of resources. I'll repeat that. They are not vetted internationally.

Irish nationals are and were because it's handy enough.

Vetted in the context of acquiring a taxi permit.

Think about that the next time a wife or daughter gets a taxi home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Vetting to drive a taxi is not a mental health check.

Passing a test to say you can drive a taxi does not prove that you will not go on a rampage and stab someone.

I presume vetting someone only indicates that they have never been in trouble in with the law. I don't think vetting someone to drive a taxi would give you access to their medical records.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

You mean Colored ?

Yes partly and also because on the Marian Finucane show last week a senior Garda admitted under questioning that foreign nationals were not vetted due to lack of resources. I'll repeat that. They are not vetted internationally.

Irish nationals are and were because it's handy enough.

Vetted in the context of acquiring a taxi permit.

Think about that the next time a wife or daughter gets a taxi home.

Coloured people? Like blue Martians.

• Advertisement

Vetting to drive a taxi is not a mental health check.

Passing a test to say you can drive a taxi does not prove that you will go on a rampage and stab someone.

I'm talking about a vetting test to see if the applicant has any previous criminal record.

Your correct but a lack of vetting is a total disregard for public safety surely?

You'll also agree I'm sure that people of that capability usually have some sort of past. Rarely does someone go mental with a knife and previously lived the life of a saint.

Diddler, I am more surprised at the lack of reporting of this story. yes the Herald covered it in print and the independent had two paragraphs today that is about it. The herald in fact removed the mentioned of 'black man' in the later report in the city final. I do wonder if the media become selective on what they report so as not to antagonize public opinion.

Surely if they wanted to be PC then as well as removing the reference to his racial ethnicity then they should have also removed the fact that he was a taxi driver, after all would they have reported his job if he'd been a carpenter?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Maybe they removed it because it's not relevant? They dont start every other report with 'a pasty white Irish man was arrested today.....' do they? Reporting someone's skin colour (yes there's a u in there, we're not in America!) is just wrong and it's completely irrelevant . It doesn't matter if they're pink with blue stripes, a crime is a crime.

Surely if they wanted to be PC then as well as removing the reference to his racial ethnicity then they should have also removed the fact that he was a taxi driver, after all would they have reported his job if he'd been a carpenter?

One answer to that. He used his Taxi as a weapon to knock a man down in his garden.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Maybe they removed it because it's not relevant? They dont start every other report with 'a pasty white Irish man was arrested today.....' do they? Reporting someone's skin colour (yes there's a u in there, we're not in America!) is just wrong and it's completely irrelevant . It doesn't matter if they're pink with blue stripes, a crime is a crime.

Did you read the newspaper clip that was attached by another poster above? It wasn't the Herald that used those words, they were simply quoting verbatim what a witness stated. In that context there was nothing wrong with the report of a "Black man". It just so happens to be the case.

The media by in large however didn't even report this story. Perhaps it was far too sensitive to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I'm talking about a vetting test to see if the applicant has any previous criminal record.

Sure they do a grand job vetting irish people.
    Like the man who raped the girl in the X who went on to drive a taxi and rape a 15 year old in the back of it.

The garda won't press the case to the media and the media won't give it big cover if the garda already have the person in custody and they are being processed. Same with the guy who got shot in the face by a family member a while back, bugger all coverage.

Sharrow wrote: »
    Sure they do a grand job vetting irish people.
    Like the man who raped the girl in the X who went on to drive a taxi and rape a 15 year old in the back of it.

The garda won't press the case to the media and the media won't give it big cover if the garda already have the person in custody and they are being processed. Same with the guy who got shot in the face by a family member a while back, bugger all coverage.

They do some sort of vetting of Irish people at least.

They do NO vetting of foreign nationals.

This taxi driver used his car as a weapon.

I realize the man is in custody but surely you would expect most major national newspapers to report such an incident?

The national media has criticized online media for bad standards but sometimes I am thankful of both sources.

Vetting is virtually useless unless someone has a previous conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Mr X case did but he started used his wife's surname with his middle name and applied with that.

One answer to that. He used his Taxi as a weapon to knock a man down in his garden.

No it said he used his car not that he used his taxi, succint difference, the only reference is he was a taxi driver, would they have printed he was a carpenter/carpet fitter etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

see here
    No it said he used his car not that he used his taxi, succint difference, the only reference is he was a taxi driver, would they have printed he was a carpenter/carpet fitter etc.?

The article you posted and linked to quotes a witness saying, "my partner was coming back into our house and he heard the taxi revving, and it drove at him in the garden".

Advertisement