Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

no one home. came in through the back garden. i am replacing the bulb in my back light now for defo. no alarms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Mate of mine had his car stolen in Mount Symon about two years ago. They fished his keys via the letterbox in the early hours of the morning.

Did they get your keys?

No, they didn't. No idea how they got it from the driveway, didn't think you could 'hotwire' a newish car, unless they just released the handbrake and rolled it off the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

do people still keep their keys close to the letterbox these days?? pretty stupid really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

mattb74 wrote: »
    No, they didn't. No idea how they got it from the driveway, didn't think you could 'hotwire' a newish car, unless they just released the handbrake and rolled it off the drive.

Well then they may have done what was done to a BMW in Clonee to a lady friend about a year ago.

They towed her vehicle away.

Your right, hot wiring was out of the question especially on modern cars. They must have yanked the thing on to a trailer as unlikely as it seems.

The lad I know in Mount Symon was also missing his keys so that one was obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Getting really sick and tired of this. The chances are I know who stole the car above, as I know who has been responsible for the majority of the burglaries and car thefts in my area. Unfortunately, said individual is under-age and is getting released every single time to do the same thing. I saw him in the area last night, so as usual 2+2 equals something close to 4. What sort of society are we living in at all? I don't care what age you are, if you keep re-offending you should be locked up so you can't keep causing people extra misery and financial hardship on top of the tough times we are already in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

no one home. came in through the back garden. i am replacing the bulb in my back light now for defo. no alarms

Does their back garden open onto a lane or backs onto houses behind?
    Thats desperate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Getting really sick and tired of this. The chances are I know who stole the car above, as I know who has been responsible for the majority of the burglaries and car thefts in my area. Unfortunately, said individual is under-age and is getting released every single time to do the same thing. I saw him in the area last night, so as usual 2+2 equals something close to 4. What sort of society are we living in at all? I don't care what age you are, if you keep re-offending you should be locked up so you can't keep causing people extra misery and financial hardship on top of the tough times we are already in.

Did you see him around Mount Symon?, bleeding scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Feel free to PM me a name ;) worth passing around privately ;)

There are certainly people watching cars. My mate lives down the very end of a cul de sac in Clonsilla. Very private road. In the past 3 months he has been asked about his car 4 times (car is not in use for past 9 months) sitting in his driveway asking was he selling it. He watched them all and they were not going into anyones elses houses. The strange thing is the car does not look like its off the road either its clean as a whistle. So be warned you are being watched even when you dont think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

ronan45 wrote: »
    There are certainly people watching cars. My mate lives down the very end of a cul de sac in Clonsilla. Very private road. In the past 3 months he has been asked about his car 4 times (car is not in use for past 9 months) sitting in his driveway asking was he selling it. He watched them all and they were not going into anyones elses houses. The strange thing is the car does not look like its off the road either its clean as a whistle. So be warned you are being watched even when you dont think so.

That's been the case for years with people watching cars and then knocking at the door asking is it for sale.

It is a warning though...

• Advertisement

Alaska1 wrote: »
    That's been the case for years with people watching cars and then knocking at the door asking is it for sale.

It is a warning though...

Its gas I have been on the same road now for 12 years and i could only tell ya the models of my immediate neighbours car. I couldnt for the life of me remember other cars on the road and when they moved etc. That is some surveillance ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Friend of mine had a 95 Opel astra parked up for about 6 months and got so sick and tired of Nigerians :confused: Knocking on her door, she put a "NOT FOR SALE" sign in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PogueMahone365

athtrasna wrote: »
    The Gardai want this too. A meeting was held in December for a representative of all the Waterville clusters in the Garda Station with a view to setting up NW in this area. Apparently they need 60% takeup in each cluster.

I think it's harder nowadays to set up neighbourhood watch groups because people aren't as involved in their communities and don't really know their neighbours as well as they used to. It's a shame, but if you don't know anyone who lives around you it's harder to notice something unusual.

Also, a neighbour of mine's house was broken into not long ago and it took the Gardaí well over an hour to show up.

I think it's harder nowadays to set up neighbourhood watch groups because people aren't as involved in their communities and don't really know their neighbours as well as they used to. It's a shame, but if you don't know anyone who lives around you it's harder to notice something unusual.

Also, a neighbour of mine's house was broken into not long ago and it took the Gardaí well over an hour to show up.

Bingo, alot of people keep themselves to themselves these days

Heck, I remember there used to mad street parties an all in neighbourhoods and estates. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Alaska1 wrote: »
    Bingo, alot of people keep themselves to themselves these days
    Heck, I remember there used to mad street parties an all in neighbourhoods and estates. :D

Then organise something yourselves - it sounds like you're waiting for someone else to organise a neighbourhood watch (or street party!) but why not do it yourself? Someone has to get the ball rolling on these things, we cant just sit around wondering why we dont know our neighbours any more!

Gaspode wrote: »
    Then organise something yourselves - it sounds like you're waiting for someone else to organise a neighbourhood watch (or street party!) but why not do it yourself? Someone has to get the ball rolling on these things, we cant just sit around wondering why we dont know our neighbours any more!

maybe they will think were weirdos! Trying to get information on them :rolleyes:

"neighbours at the door luv, jasus i wonder what he could want, must be somthing up :eek:"

How do you know we haven't ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I dont. Have you?

I dont. Have you?

Still in the process of getting it back together.

It is needed

Sorry for coming accross as a bit abrupt in last post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

Just heard there was 3 break-ins in porters gate yesterday evening between 4 & 7. I know at least one of the houses had a working alarm on it. Feel nervous now every time we go out of the house. Madness

• Advertisement

canihave wrote: »
    Just heard there was 3 break-ins in porters gate yesterday evening between 4 & 7. I know at least one of the houses had a working alarm on it. Feel nervous now every time we go out of the house. Madness

Hi canihave, you must be from the area, do you know anymore about the break ins. sounds like the school run or something like that.
    Busy time of the day, lot of people coming and going, would have thought all the houses in porters gate would have alarms, modern homes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

canihave wrote: »

What was targeted canihave?
    Cars or stuff in the house?

Do you have more info on this? (what roads in portersgate etc?)

So from today you will not be prosecuted for the use of reasonable force to defend yourself in your home, clear as mud so.
    Is 1 slap of a bat or 4 slaps reasonable force, I also think that the criminal will be more likely to arm them selves better.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

nudger wrote: »
    Hi canihave, you must be from the area, do you know anymore about the break ins. sounds like the school run or something like that.
    Busy time of the day, lot of people coming and going, would have thought all the houses in porters gate would have alarms, modern homes.

I live not too far from there and heard that one house was burgled even though the alarm was going off. They were in and out quite quickly I believe they took gold mostly. Thats what a neighbour who lives in that estate told me. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Arciphel

A van going round my estate today in D15 ( white Ford transit) at about 3pmwith lads knocking door to door selling pillows and duvets. One of them hung around outside my neighbors house talking into his mobile phone when there was no answer to their door. Be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Arciphel wrote: »
    A van going round my estate today in D15 ( white Ford transit) at about 3pmwith lads knocking door to door selling pillows and duvets. One of them hung around outside my neighbors house talking into his mobile phone when there was no answer to their door. Be aware.

Sounds dodgy alright. Generally if there is no answer then around the back they go. Have heard so many stories whereby people dont bother answering their doors only to see someone in their back gardens afew seconds later. 3 houses done just off Aurburn ave in Castleknock this week. One woman was asleep in her living room when a guy came in the unlocked back door, took her phone and locked her into the room while she was still sleeping. The son had installed a tracker on her phone, located the car on the ashbourne rd. They caught one guy, other scrambled across the fields.

What estate did u see the duvet van in arciphel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Littlepace, down by Archers Wood, that area. 02-D reg, long wheelbase Ford Transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

I don't live in Portersgate but was meeting someone there on Wed evening and was waiting a while for them. They live in Portersgate and where asking me the next day if I saw anyone hanging around. He knows all 3 people who were broken into. it was mainly cash, jewellery and laptop. He said one of the houses was absolutely ransacked. It's just terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 WTSIB

Got a second hand report, unconfirmed, that an end house in a Delwood (Near Roselawn SC) cul de sac was recently burgled-- no details other than that the car keys were reportedly taken from the kitchen table.

No the car was not taken then --- they called back and stole it later !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A friend had their car broken into in Tyrrelstown last night. Car not taken though.

I wonder though its this not all normal rate of crime in the area or we just don't usually hear about it.

Advertisement