Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Paddy Rock

Just found out about this.I BLOODY LIVE IN PHEASANT RUN! about 100 yards from where it happened and i didnt have a clue till my gf got home! If its the taxi driver im thinking of he gave me a lift in the snow storms a year ago so this is getting freaky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 justin d door

UNREPORTED WORLD

You all seem to have missed the point,1 woman was stabbed in the stomach while trying to escape from her house with her son and husband.A man was then knocked down in his garden and his house severely damaged as the taxi driver(lets call him the taxi driver) was interupted by this man,his second victim, he then chased this man with a knife and ran-away when the garda arrived.

This leaves our "taxi driver" in a second estate with a knife from the first house.Here he left 1 woman in hospital who lets hope will pull threw as all i can be sure of is this man wanted to kill someone at some stage on sunday morning and also her child with a stab wound in her arm.

NOW back to it makes no odds of coulor but it makes the story realistic in your head so we know what happened.But if the herald didnt report this story yesterday no-one would of known anything of the attacks or skin/job of anyone involved.

And now as half the story hits the press we continue to live in Pheasant run with blood in the road,possible weapons in green areas were mine and others kids play.....went will the council clean our estate.

Or if it wasnt 5am,it was 3pm on sunday could this man have killed an unlimited amount of white,black and <SNIP> children on the green were mine and both of the first victims children play???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

New neighbour renting came over to introduce himself this morning and mentioned that there had been some disturbances over the last few nights in the area (Laurel Lodge).
    Wanted to know was this normal, not as far as I was concerned but haven't been around the last week or two.
    He said a group of "kids" aged 13-16 were hanging around and had broken into an old lady's house around the corner, didn't get much, but stole her glasses, they had gold frames.
    These cash for gold shops have to be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

nudger wrote: »
    These cash for gold shops have to be closed.

That seems to be all they are after.

altor wrote: »
    That seems to be all they are after.

When we were done I couldn't believe what they left behind (they were disturbed).
    Only took the gold, left loads of good stuff.
    By the way, an aunt of mine left me a few things when she died, not much but some of it was in old money so brought it to the central bank where they will change it for you.
    There were 2 junkies I knew and a few other bogie looking yokes bringing old notes and bags of coin in to be changed.
    They should have some checks in place to stop burglars cashing in old folks money hide'n in the mattress etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

They don't seem to be looking for anything they have to take and sell like laptops, telly and the like. I suppose when they can just put the gold in there pockets and walk away without being noticed it makes it easier for them. More checks on the cash for gold and shut them down if they cant prove where it came from is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

altor wrote: »
    They don't seem to be looking for anything they have to take and sell like laptops, telly and the like. I suppose when they can just put the gold in there pockets and walk away without being noticed it makes it easier for them. More checks on the cash for gold and shut them down if they cant prove where it came from is needed.

Something simple like a collection of photographs of stolen items in the Cash For Gold shops, that needs to be cross-referenced when someone comes in with their "goods" and the odd spot-test to challenge the shop and make sure they are doing their job. These places only really exist for liquidising stolen goods.

I feel like punching the tv every time I see that "old gent" git, saying so and so here, bring in your old/found/broken/unwanted gold and we will give you cash, Big smile.
    Who has this type of gold hanging around the house, if my wife had a broken chain she would have me have a look at it or bring it in to get fixed.
    These things have sentimental values, also would you stick your gold in an envelope that everyone know's is for "broken gold".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

nudger wrote: »
    I feel like punching the tv every time I see that "old gent" git, saying so and so here, bring in your old/found/broken/unwanted gold and we will give you cash, Big smile.
    Who has this type of gold hanging around the house, if my wife had a broken chain she would have me have a look at it or bring it in to get fixed.
    These things have sentimental values, also would you stick your gold in an envelope that everyone know's is for "broken gold".
    they are just taking advantage of the current financial meltdown and the high price of gold.

oh yes, and fencing large quantities of stolen jewellery and basically encouraging local scumbags to come into your home and relieve you of it. dirty feckers. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I've seen a fair bit of broken car window glass around parking spaces at the newly developed onstreet parking at Clonsilla train station. I suspect the main victims are cars left overnight. I've left the car overnight a few times since Christmas for nights out in town but I will think twice about this now. No where is bloody safe these days :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Cth123

Hi Mick1166

I was just about to buy a property in Warrenstown but decided to do a little reseach before doing so. Can you please let me know what sort of things are happening in the area? I drove around the area on Tuesday this week and it seemed great! Would appreciate your feedback. Also do you know what the schools in the area? Cheers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Sorry cth123, this is a year old thread, Mick1166 posted once and disappeared so you wont get and answer from him. 1-post wonders like that often post inflammatory comments and disappear, so what he said could easily be bull - doesn't seem to be any backup to his claims.
    search this forum and see if Warrenstown shows up in many threads - I dont think it does tbh, so I'd say that means it's not having many problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Warrenstown is quiet. The only reason Castlecurragh gets a bad rep is because some of the less than polite people from Ladyswell try to make a hard life for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

Just heard there were 3 break-ins in The Village Porterstown on Tuesday night, at approx 8.50. It all seems to happen in 3s - but there were 3 men and they were driving a black audi. Again went for gold. I know that one house they gained entry through front door, set off alarm and were not deterred by neighbours coming out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What happened when the neighbours came out?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

I was told that they (as in thugs) told the man to get back into his house. Apparently they were in and out really fast. These neighbours sent around a note to each house to advise and let everyone be on guard for suspicious cars in area.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

i work in the window game, and a lot of my work is for break ins. Everywhere is getting hammered by burglars, and in my opinion, it's the cash for gold which is the main culprit. most breakins occur during the day, and the afternoon when schools are closing are the time when neighbours should be most vigilant. i'll try to list off the most common attack modes i've come accross and offer ways to improve security.

Burglar Alarm.
    if you are thinking of getting one, look for one that texts alerts to your phones when the alarm is activated. burglars do set off alarms and come back later - if your alarm is still going they will proceed with the break in.

wooden front door.
    should have two locks fitted. the munster joinery door which is fitted to 3/4's of all housing estates in ireland are the easiest to force in

PVC door
    so many people don't bother to lock the door, they think that just because you need a key to open the door - that they don't need or are unable to lock it. make sure the door is fit properly and that the locks are good and tight. if there is a lot of play in the door and frame, they can be pried open. Locking mechanism with hook type locks are the safest. invest in a good anti snap cylinder - there is only one i know that ticks all the boxes and has to be ordered from the uk. the Multiloc and garrison cylinders are easy enough to get past unfortunately.
    If they are coming for your car, they are coming through the front door generally and they know how to.

Aluminium door.
    if it only has the one lock in the centre - you got problems. get a new one

pvc windows
    usually forced open with crow bar these days. it doesn't matter which lock it is - they can be pried open. a simple little addition to improve security is to fit sash jammer locks to the openings. these will stop it being forced open.
    the other way in with older pvc windows is removing the glass. this can be countered by having the glass refitted using a glazing tape that sticks the glass to the frame.

rationel type windows.
    they just remove the glass. this can be countered aswell

aluminium windows
    additional locks to stop them being pried open

patio/ back doors
    extra locks

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cth123

Thank you Gaspode and January - I appreciate your response. I believe you are right - Warrenstown is a good area. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

Cth123 wrote: »
    Thank you Gaspode and January - I appreciate your response. I believe you are right - Warrenstown is a good area. Thanks again.

I lived in Warrenstown for over a year and it was the worst place i ever lived! Its very rough around there, Friday and Saturday nights were hell with young lads and girls causing nothing but trouble. The houses themselves are also horrible, you cannot heat them and the rooms are very small (apart from the master bedroom). We in the end had to leave as one of our cats got tortured up there and the young lads and girls threw petrol all over him luckily we got him back just in time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Just another one for the statistics. Silver Honda NT650V Deauville stolen last night from my back garden in Willows estate off the Hartstown loop.

• Advertisement

Just another one for the statistics. Silver Honda NT650V Deauville stolen last night from my back garden in Willows estate off the Hartstown loop.

Really not a good time for Motorbike owners. Was it locked up at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

And another bike stolen from Hartstown as well.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056561313

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

kitser on the munster joinery door, i had a locksmith fit the antisnap barrels to my doors and he said i couldn't get an additional lock because of the strip type locking mechanism already in the door is he right or can you tell me what is available?

Thanks for your post btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

you can get a night latch with rim cylinder -

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@kitser: while your advice is welcome, you cant use boards to drum up business. you got some warnings about this last year, dont do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    [QUOTE='[CrimsonGhost];77309435']Just another one for the statistics. Silver Honda NT650V Deauville stolen last night from my back garden in Willows estate off the Hartstown loop.

Really not a good time for Motorbike owners. Was it locked up at all?[/Quote]
    Yeah, he has a lock in it, keeps it in the back garden behind a closed gate.

I was playing with the idea of getting a small bike to commute to work, f€&ked if I'm doing that now as now place secure for me to lock it.

Seems to be getting really bad.

Gillo wrote: »

Steering lock or disk lock? Apologies for the questions, just curious as to how easy they seem to find it to take a bike.

Steering lock or disk lock? Apologies for the questions, just curious as to how easy they seem to find it to take a bike.
    Crimson Ghost is my bro that how I know him and the bike but think he has a chain on the wheel so you can't just wheel the bike.
    Sorry don't know a lot about it.

Crimson Ghost is my bro that how I know him and the bike but think he has a chain on the wheel so you can't just wheel the bike.

No hassle, will keep an eye/ear out for him anyway. I've a chain and disk lock on mine just to be extra safe, but don't think even those would stop them if they were determined enough.

• Advertisement

No hassle, will keep an eye/ear out for him anyway. I've a chain and disk lock on mine just to be extra safe, but don't think even those would stop them if they were determined enough.
    There's a guy in my estate who has a bolt fitted into the driveway, I know kryptonite (sp?) make one, you can attach the chain to that.
    I cycle in to work a bit and the general consensus with push bikes is that it's always possible to knick them but lock yours well enough that the pricks will go after someone's else's. I admit it's not ideal but what can you do???

Advertisement