Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

why all the question ????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

A V A wrote: »
    why all the question ????:confused:

Just so we can be aware of what to look out for and how to make our homes more secure. Thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭altor

KoolKid wrote: »
    A warning about using cheap devices.
    Are these images recorded anywhere else. ?
    Digital imagry can be dismissed as unreliable in court if it does not contain a digital watermark to prove it has not been altered.

That is where the cheaper system fail the consumer. Many don't know about watermarking of the system till they do end up in court to have it thrown out.
    Unless the consumer is made aware of the situation regarding this they will install these cheaper systems. They are not worth the money spent as you are aware, but as they say you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Sharrow wrote: »
    Ouch, last I checked they were a 100 quid each to replace.

€20 euro each to replace now, phew... still though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

January wrote: »
    €20 euro each to replace now, phew... still though...

Was that for the 120L or the 240L bins?

Were there any marks on your old bins as one of mine went walkies a while back, so I walked around the local area checked to see if my bin was anywhere (it was well marked) but no luck.
    Waited until the morning of the pick up and found it 5 doors down (rented house).
    Bin had just been put out, knocked at the door with bin in hand, no answer, went down the side of the house as the gate was open and emptied it in their back garden, it was a green bin but the dirty pigs had everything in it, food, bottles, the lot.
    Nothing to do with me but the landlord got rid of them not long after.

Keep an eye out they don't go too far away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

No, these were burned out, my sister seen the person who robbed them bringing them up the field the night they were robbed... turns out it was her neighbour... won't be paying for them myself anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Woke up this morning to find that the steering column on my motorbike had been smashed. Second time in six months, cost me ¬ 800 last time. Also quite a few cars in the area had their windows smashed last night and on Saturday night, after a house party in a neighbours. Same guy has been doing this kind of damage in the area for the past six months, and gets released every fvcking time, so decent people like myself and my neighbours have to pay for the states negligence. Sick of it, no future in this **** country any more once scum like this are allowed out to do this time and time again.

January wrote: »
    No, these were burned out, my sister seen the person who robbed them bringing them up the field the night they were robbed... turns out it was her neighbour... won't be paying for them myself anyways

There are some serious fools out there, hope you get them paid for and that said fool gets it from the parents, (presuming it is a minor).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Woke up this morning to find that the steering column on my motorbike had been smashed. Second time in six months, cost me ¬ 800 last time.

Thats terrible as happened a mate of mine too in Mulhuddart a few months ago so know how much trouble/cost he had.

The way things are going you need to put everything into a big steel cage so that no one can damage/rob your belongings.

Woke up this morning to find that the steering column on my motorbike had been smashed. Second time in six months, cost me ¬ 800 last time. Also quite a few cars in the area had their windows smashed last night and on Saturday night, after a house party in a neighbours. Same guy has been doing this kind of damage in the area for the past six months, and gets released every fvcking time, so decent people like myself and my neighbours have to pay for the states negligence. Sick of it, no future in this **** country any more once scum like this are allowed out to do this time and time again.

That's the pits, sorry for you, I presume you had other locks on the bike so this was more acting the maggot.
    If you only had a disc lock on the front they sometimes start the bike and use the power to break the lock.
    I'm guessing this might be the same person mentioned a few pages back, you got to get the neighbours together and go to AGS, E mail your local reps Joan Burton is in power and a heavy hitter tell her you are going to try and arrange a meeting with AGS., then Email AGS and cc your reps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Hi, I can't offer any advice but just wanted to say I am so sorry to hear that. That's unbelievable. I hate to say the two dirtiest words around but...Joe Duffy? The area and lack of action being taken obviously needs attention....maybe that would help? I can't think of anything else to say but that I hope the little b*stard gets run over very soon.

(I don't advocate violence at all ...just accidents that animals deserve)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

Couple of cars robbed in Huntstown last night, took keys from house.

Another attempted burglary at 5am in Clonee also, broke into get keys pf car but were disturbed, took the keys and ran out of the house nothing else takin' that was the Hansfield area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Thats terrible as happened a mate of mine too in Mulhuddart a few months ago so know how much trouble/cost he had.

The way things are going you need to put everything into a big steel cage so that no one can damage/rob your belongings.

Actually a steel cage would be a big target for them. Great money in the scrap metal business. :D

Last year a Taxi car in my garden had its driver side window smashed. Nothing taken. The scumbag also tried to remove the ignition barrel for my motorbike, destroying it in the process. Considering the bike was secured to a ground anchor with a 12kg chain, there's not much point in goin after the ignition!

€80 to fix the ignition barrel paid out my own pocket. Car window paid for by insurance company. Scumbag got nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭belleray

Break in to our shed last night, no sign of anything major taken but only because there wasn't a lot in it. Be careful

ciaran76 wrote: »

I'm just going to sell the bike at this stage, once it's fixed. Can't keep dealing with that kind of hassle.
    nudger wrote: »
    That's the pits, sorry for you, I presume you had other locks on the bike so this was more acting the maggot.
    If you only had a disc lock on the front they sometimes start the bike and use the power to break the lock.
    I'm guessing this might be the same person mentioned a few pages back, you got to get the neighbours together and go to AGS, E mail your local reps Joan Burton is in power and a heavy hitter tell her you are going to try and arrange a meeting with AGS., then Email AGS and cc your reps.

I had a disc lock, yeah. Not sure if they just smashed the steering column for the craic or what the hell they were at, but they didn't move the bike an inch really. Will start looking into (legal) ways of dealing with this crap in the next couple of days.
    Babooshka wrote: »
    Hi, I can't offer any advice but just wanted to say I am so sorry to hear that. That's unbelievable. I hate to say the two dirtiest words around but...Joe Duffy? The area and lack of action being taken obviously needs attention....maybe that would help? I can't think of anything else to say but that I hope the little b*stard gets run over very soon.

(I don't advocate violence at all ...just accidents that animals deserve)

Thanks for the post. Don't think I'm in Joe Duffy territory just yet though :o

Have you no where to put it, Garage down the side of the house behind a gate out of sight.
    Was it just a disc lock on the front and nothing on the back wheel?
    Pity to get rid of it.
    Sent a PM.

nudger wrote: »
    Have you no where to put it, Garage down the side of the house behind a gate out of sight.
    Was it just a disc lock on the front and nothing on the back wheel?
    Pity to get rid of it.
    Sent a PM.

Unfortunately not. House is fairly wide open and no garage/side entrance to put the bike down. It was just a disc lock yeah, looked into getting a ground anchor but I've been told that criminals have taken them with them on occassions so it just seems as though when they're determined they'll do it.

And as I said, it looks like the situation on Saturday may purely have been opportunistic vandalism as several cars were smashed up. Not much that can be done about that.

Only guessing but looks like someone who knows how to do things and might be showing off to a mate. Barrel poppers are easy made but then carrying a bike by the handlebars with a lock on the front wheel is hard work if the bike is big/heavy in a tight place.
    Think I've seen your bike elsewhere and it would be hard work for 2 lads with a few on board to move it.
    Bastards do come back (unfinished business) got away with 1 of mine before but got caught by AGS, lots of previous, came back for it again twice (attempted) and once spotted them early, nearly had them but they got away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

My mates bike was locked just by the wheels not to anything static. A large van pulled up and 3 guys lifted the bike in to the back. Neighbour saw it happen and went into him. They were gone and all in less than 30 seconds. (Happened drumcondra btw)

A comment for The chap with the bike. Where i work we had skumbags hanging out around the back of the office (blind spot) they installed an infra-red beam that beeps into us inside when anyone is out there. When we hear it we can just pop the head out and see whos out there. Might be an idea, Its ridiculous these thugs have forced you to take such drastic action. Sickening really.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Alaska1 wrote: »
    Couple of cars robbed in Huntstown last night, took keys from house.

Another attempted burglary at 5am in Clonee also, broke into get keys pf car but were disturbed, took the keys and ran out of the house nothing else takin' that was the Hansfield area.

My next door neighbour........bit close for comfort!

Same night a van and another house broken into in huntersrun.

• Advertisement

Dub XV wrote: »
    My next door neighbour........bit close for comfort!

Same night a van and another house broken into in huntersrun.

ARE YOU FOR REAL !!!!! This is getting actually bloody CHRONIC, what are the cops doing? I have not noticed any increase in Garda Patrols around the area. Unless of course they are in unmarked cars:rolleyes:
    What time did they come at? I recall seeing statistics that said most house thefts occur during daylight hours but am i right in saying the bulk of these hits seem to be at night time?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Neighbours house was 5am as said earlier. Car keys were in the back of the door so they just smashed the glass panel with a big brick. Thats what woke them.

The others weren't noticed til morning but were during the night.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Dublin 15 seems to be going through a total epidemic of crime - burglaries and car thefts in particular.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Dublin 15 seems to be going through a total epidemic of crime - burglaries and car thefts in particular.:(

Shut up or I'll viciously attack you for no reason.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

A woman came home to find the latch on her door and saw guys in her sitting room through the window. three of them. they got money and a few other bits and bobs. no one was hurt. they jumped over the back wall when they were startled. these guys are criminal masterminds. they pick one small road and proceed to break into 7 or 8 houses over the course of 2 months. thus putting the guards on high alert to the area and all the neighbours watching the movement of everyone on the road. taking down every reg plate of vehicles stopping on the road. "so hey anto lets do anuther gaff on d road that we got those 7 udder gaffs." i cant wait for them to be blagged because the fookin scrotes will. its only a matter of time. if i catch them......

Why is this not reported in the local media to a larger extent? At least making people aware and telling them how it is will cop people on to batten down the hatches. Lets put these skum bags out of business. I see a lot of "neighbourhood watch" blue stickers on peoples windows. Is this scheme still going? And what happnes in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It'd be good to see the political parties / groups organise a few big meetings in the Community centres to raise awareness, brief people on the sophistication (or lack) of the groups carrying out the thefts, try and get some evidence of movements and patterns etc - although I suppose the time of the meetings would present the perfect op for burglaries to take place!

The lack of a Garda station and a readily available Garda response between Blanch, Lucan and Dunboyne is a huge issue here, and one that was raised for years even before the more recent parts of D15 came into being - now its like a black hole for Garda activity, except when the oddcar chase arrives down the Ongar Link or N3 and finishes up in a dead end in Castaheany!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Heard a fairly disturbing story which came second hand from a local guard, early on in the week somewhere in hartstown a couple were awoken by 2 men in their bedroom. They had broken into the house. No alarm. Boiled the kettle. When the couple in their bedroom woke up a man was holding the boiling kettle over the husbands head, he said to the wife you have 5 mins to get all the cash and jewelery from the house or else the boiling kettle is going over the husbands head. They cleared off once cash and gold were handed over.

Be vigilant everyone.If you have an alarm use it. If you can lock internal doors without comprimising fire escapes then do it.

This is getting out of control.

Noticed my neighbour's side gate was banging today, He's away a lot of the time but always locks up well.
    Checked the side gate and the bolt had been forced, wouldn't be hard to do, had a look around and all looked ok, no sign of anything wrong, someone chancing their arm.

• Advertisement

dibs101 wrote: »
    Heard a fairly disturbing story which came second hand from a local guard, early on in the week somewhere in hartstown a couple were awoken by 2 men in their bedroom. They had broken into the house. No alarm. Boiled the kettle. When the couple in their bedroom woke up a man was holding the boiling kettle over the husbands head, he said to the wife you have 5 mins to get all the cash and jewelery from the house or else the boiling kettle is going over the husbands head. They cleared off once cash and gold were handed over.

Be vigilant everyone.If you have an alarm use it. If you can lock internal doors without comprimising fire escapes then do it.

This is getting out of control.

I dont get why as another poster pointed out these events are not reported to the local media. All these incidents are logged by the guards. They should have a porthole on their site that one can check to see what crime is actually going on in their area. I think a lot of people live in blissfull ignorance until this crap lands on their door some night. If people KNOW this crap is going down they can take the relevent precautions. If they dont how can they?

BLANCH INFORMER:

Yeah informing us about bloody giving up cigarettes and Bloody Lisa Cannon, no mention of crime this crime-wave!!! Come on lads cop the hell on its not all about advertisiing..... oh yeah sorry it it....

http://issuu.com/realissues/docs/blanch-informer-january-2012?mode=window&viewMode=doublePage

Advertisement