Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I just watched The Motion Picture. You know what, it isn't that bad. It's way too long but it's proper Sci Fi.

I think its still a stunning looking film. Yes the pacing is a bit slow but I love it. In 20years time this will still look stunning and the new action orientated films with no story's, lens flares and lots of explosions will have been forgotten about.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Wrath of Khan was on earlier, so enjoyable. When i was a kid the ear worms freaked the **** out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Wrath of Khan was on earlier, so enjoyable. When i was a kid the ear worms freaked the **** out of me

I remember having nightmares about them too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I remember having nightmares about them too

Sorta-related (still sci-Fi :)) but I distinctly remember being freaked out by the original RoboCop movie as a kid.. first Murphy
    gets his hand blown off and murdered
    , and then this happens:

(Probably NSFW - even at this stage)

:eek::eek:

Young me was scared anyway :P

Still a great movie too!

hehe, jaysis - Robocop was great though, the scene near the end where the guy fell into the Toxic waste, then gets run over - used to play that in slo-mo. I have no idea how they did it, but it looked so real, and disgusting, yet we couldnt stop laughing at it :D

Funny, i watched it recently too and only noticed 'Red' from that 70's show was Clarence Bodiker! He was in voyager too, year of hell iirc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I loved that film (Robocop), the comedy mixed with ultra violence must have done it for me, especially the opening
    Murphy, sadistic murder bit
    Yep, Clarence Bodicker, or Red, was Anorax in Year of hell.
    Also, Ronny Cox as Dick Jones in that clip was Captain Jellico in TNG :)

Yeah that's right we were only talking about him a while back too, and he was in Total Recall too, which would have been another of Verhoeven's Ultraviolent classics :)

Err, was he in Starship Troopers too as the panicked general at the outpost, or skymarshall someone or other?

Heh, Anorax, great name for a Star trek Villain :D

Yeah that's right we were only talking about him a while back too, and he was in Total Recall too, which would have been another of Verhoeven's Ultraviolent classics :)

Err, was he in Starship Troopers too as the panicked general at the outpost, or skymarshall someone or other?

Heh, Anorax, great name for a Star trek Villain :D

Ronny used to turn up in a lot of films around the time, so he could well have been in starship troopers, can't remember.
    I always got a giggle out of anorax alright, like a nod to the fans (I think I've spelled it wrong though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Sorta-related (still sci-Fi :)) but I distinctly remember being freaked out by the original RoboCop movie as a kid.. first Murphy
    gets his hand blown off and murdered
    , and then this happens:

(Probably NSFW - even at this stage)

:eek::eek:

Young me was scared anyway :P

Still a great movie too!

1987's hyper violent satire, 2016's reality.:(

Only this week police in Louisiana used a robot to kill a man. This is one piece of Sci Fi that I wish never became reality.

What's next? :(:(:(:(

Every day the enthusiastic and optimistic futures imagined in the sci fi of the 60's gets further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Riker's prosecution was pretty good though .. especially as it was clearly killing him to (have to) do it:

- "Pinocchio is broken. It's strings have been cut" - BOOM

Sorry never checked back you are right his prosecution was good but the defense is more memorable to me as it takes me back to my early teens watching the series on my old 15 inch crt tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

somebody call a paramedic, hehehe

Just had a late dinner and decided to watch the classic TOS episode "Balance of Terror"

It's basically The Enemy Below (another great movie) in space but the first appearance of the Romulans and Mark Lenard (who of course would go on to play Sarek in TOS, the movies and TNG) and still holds up amazingly well today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Netflix announced that it will carry every episode of Star Trek by December and also stream the new series when it launches in January as the have the rights outside of US and Canada.

Very excited as I thought I'd have to get the CBS streaming service but now I'll get it through Netflix :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Myrddin wrote: »
    Big fan of it myself, has such a grand feel to it. The refit Enterprise is one of the nicest ships ever to grace a screen, and the film gave us a real proper introduction to her

I prefer 1701-A myself :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I actually never noticed it before, but Worf's reaction when Q and the band appear is brilliant! :D

Have felt this way in talking to our old tech support people in work. Mentally, just..nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

368100 wrote: »
    I prefer 1701-A myself :-)

I think 1701-b is the best looking ship, even if the colour scheme is a bit minty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

368100 wrote: »
    Netflix announced that it will carry every episode of Star Trek by December and also stream the new series when it launches in January as the have the rights outside of US and Canada.

Very excited as I thought I'd have to get the CBS streaming service but now I'll get it through Netflix :-)

Thread already under way on it here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I just watched The Motion Picture. You know what, it isn't that bad. It's way too long but it's proper Sci Fi.

The transporter malfunction scene always freaks me out, particularly the scream

The wormhole bit also makes me uncomfortable too!

The big floating cloud thing through space? Not so much :confused:

The transporter malfunction, shudder, always freaked me out.

Watching the TNG episode with Sarek. I love the scene where the tear runs down his face during the music. Mark Lenard has a great voice too.

Ha, Dr. crusher slapped Wesley :D

Watching the TNG episode with Sarek. I love the scene where the tear runs down his face during the music. Mark Lenard has a great voice too.

Patrick Stewart gives a fantastic performance in that one (they both do actually).. and Mark Lenard does a pretty good Picard as well:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Kids asleep, Best of Both Worlds on SyFy.

Man I'm old when this is a good Friday night!

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Kids asleep, Best of Both Worlds on SyFy.

Man I'm old when this is a good Friday night!

You and me both! :D

"Mr. Worf...... Fire!"

One of the best cliff-hangers ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Straight onto the dodgybox.....

"And now the continuation......." :D

Wife looks up from her shïte magazine long enough to tut and shake her head...

Get back to reading about shïte woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

At one point the Borg were this unstoppable force, now the Federation took on the Borg and the Dominion at the same time and won :P

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

question was the saucer section of the enterprise D capable of independent warp speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

question was the saucer section of the enterprise D capable of independent warp speed?

Nope, impulse only :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Nope, impulse only :)

was thinking that can see why they never separated much it was kinda a pointless feature

was thinking that can see why they never separated much it was kinda a pointless feature

Came in handy in Generations :) (ie, the saucer can become a life boat in the event of an imminent core breach). Came in handy in BoBW 2 also, distracting the Cube long enough to get allow a shuttle to rescue Picard. Otherwise, yeah, not so useful

Came in handy in Generations :) (ie, the saucer can become a life boat in the event of an imminent core breach). Came in handy in BoBW 2 also, distracting the Cube long enough to get allow a shuttle to rescue Picard. Otherwise, yeah, not so useful

The technical manual stated that ot could sustain warp speed, if separated at warp. IIRC
    Could stay at a safe distance for dangerous surveys or be a secondary survey ship. Not all aspects are for battle

• Advertisement

The technical manual stated that ot could sustain warp speed, if separated at warp. IIRC

Also demonstrated on screen in Encounter at Farpoint I think (it certainly separated at warp, not sure if it showed the saucer continuing on at warp, I think it did though?). That wouldn't be independent warp speed though, it needed the stardrive section to get to that speed in the first place.
    Could stay at a safe distance for dangerous surveys or be a secondary survey ship. Not all aspects are for battle

True :)

Advertisement