Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Enterprise has a better first 3 opening seasons than DS9, to me, honestly. It was JUST getting into its stride, with Romulan war on the horizon and birth of the Federation as the goal

I dunno.. season 2 of DS9 saw the first mentions of the Dominion and Jem'Hadar, season 3 introduced the Defiant and had some excellent episodes.

Season 4 was an improvement on ENT (aside from the Nazi aliens thing!) but by then most people had already given up. Prequel shows generally don't work because they're constrained by the timeline and everyone knows how it ends anyway from the established canon. Ditto the upcoming series if it's set in the alternate TOS era.. we already know that story (and personally I've no interest in the shallow hyperactive world that is the "new movie" reality).

They should have done a post-VOY/Nemesis show in the original timeline.. that I'd have watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Enterprise has a better first 3 opening seasons than DS9, to me, honestly. It was JUST getting into its stride, with Romulan war on the horizon and birth of the Federation as the goal

God no. The first season of Enterprise is truly awful, it probably caused significant damage to the reputation of the show & could be why the show got cut short after season 4.

Myrddin wrote: »
    God no. The first season of Enterprise is truly awful, it probably caused significant damage to the reputation of the show & could be why the show got cut short after season 4.

That's why I said 1st three seasons. Season 2 and 3 are stronger, overall, than DS9 and certainly Voyager. Season 3 gets slated for reasons beyond me. It has Archer basically becoming a raider in episodes, pure desperation showing. A credible threat as our knowledge of Earth pre Federation was very limited, the threat had already hit (stupid act admittedly, letting target prepare) and could easily have caused more destruction with larger weapon.
    A complex enemy formed from a cooperative of species, with their own internal politics and rationales.
    And the softening of the Vulcans and emergence of Andorians as a strong potential ally.

It had a season long arc which people slated voyager (myself included) for not having with no real reset button.
    The temporal cold war was Enterprise's major inbuilt misstep. Decontamination chambers and overly naivety of the humans was a simple writing decision and was changing, showing the crew become more jaded as time went on (yet keeping the optimism)

That's why I said 1st three seasons. Season 2 and 3 are stronger, overall, than DS9 and certainly Voyager.

It's been a few years since watching them, so I'll judge seasons 2 & 3 when I get to them. I'm nearing the end of season 1 now though & its horrendous, really bad. I've been a defender of Enterprise for years, so I know it gets better...but having just finished Voyager, I can safely say that season 1 of Voyager trounces season 1 of Enterprise. DS9 was a little slow to get going, but there were some really really great episodes early on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Viewership wise Enterprise was actually doing well in season 3 and 4. There was actually more people watching season 4 of Enterprise than there was the re-imaged Battlestar Galactica at it peak.
    Unfortunately Paramount got the figures wrong and pulled the plug. They forgot or did not think to add the people who were watching the show on catch up TV as this was relatively new at the time. If they had of done that I think we might have got a season 5 and maybe even season 6 of Enterprise.

• Advertisement

It's been a few years since watching them, so I'll judge seasons 2 & 3 when I get to them. I'm nearing the end of season 1 now though & its horrendous, really bad. I've been a defender of Enterprise for years, so I know it gets better...but having just finished Voyager, I can safely say that season 1 of Voyager trounces season 1 of Enterprise. DS9 was a little slow to get going, but there were some really really great episodes early on too.

S1 of Voyager began the reset button and immediate neutering of the Maquis/Starfleet tension

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

S1 of Voyager began the reset button and immediate neutering of the Maquis/Starfleet tension

It did, but it was still better than season one of waggly shoulders and co boldy being boring.

Lest we forget, this was the season which gave us Trip's pregnancy.

Thankfully it improved greatly after that but I really think the damage was done by then.

Anyways, they all, bar the Original Series, had pretty bad first seasons. Enterprise had the worst though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

the first time i seen TNG was on VHS rented from a brand spankin' new Xtravision, i was disappointed at the time that it wasn't the old crew introducing the new crew

It did, but that was the writing direction the series was to take, so S1 done what it had to do. S1 of Voyager was the strongest first season of any Trek imo, it had some really good episodes.

It did, but that was the writing direction the series was to take, so S1 done what it had to do. S1 of Voyager was the strongest first season of any Trek imo, it had some really good episodes.

Indeed but that direction is why I view Voyager as the weakest Trek. So much potential cast aside in 3-4 episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

It's being reported that the new show is PRIME universe.

Set between Star Trek VI and TNG.

It's another prequel of sorts which is a shame but thank the Gods it's not JJ verse. Good riddance to that idiocy.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/04/13/breaking-the-new-star-trek-tv-show-will-be-set-post-undiscovered-country-pre-tng/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

No way does Shatner not appear if so.

Goldstein wrote: »
    It's being reported that the new show is PRIME universe.

Set between Star Trek VI and TNG.

It's another prequel of sorts which is a shame but thank the Gods it's not JJ verse. Good riddance to that idiocy.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/04/13/breaking-the-new-star-trek-tv-show-will-be-set-post-undiscovered-country-pre-tng/

So, Excelsior?

Given the weird split of the rights having it in the real timeline makes sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

So, Excelsior?

Given the weird split of the rights having it in the real timeline makes sense

Al-Batani hopefully.

We would get to see the monster being formed.

Al-Batani hopefully.

We would get to see the monster being formed.

OK I was wrong, can we red matter this part if the real verse.

Also a good reason not to go after Voyager is the destruction of Romulus, by that god awful film.

OK I was wrong, can we red matter this part if the real verse.

Also a good reason not to go after Voyager is the destruction of Romulus, by that god awful film.

Saorise Ronan for a young Janeway?

A character with Janeways abhorrent morals and the recklessness of youth could be a great story.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

something just popped up on my twitter feed, Nog is nearly 50! and he had a crowdfunded kidney transplant...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The star trek forum now has a darth vader icon on the new boards layout. The end is nigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

For anyone interested the run through of Voyager begins on Monday on Syfy

DS9 finishes today

• Advertisement

What is the first decent episode of voyager?

What is the first decent episode of voyager?

There's a handful of decent eps in the first season, Emanations seemed a good take on euthanasia/life after death etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

In the Pale Moonlight was on CBS action earlier.. thank you series link!

A master class in acting by Brooks and Robinson and imho one of the best lines in all of star trek...

"and all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal and the self respect of one Starfleet officer"

Epic.

One another note, in season 6 i think it was a large romulan fleet decloaks and asks to join the fed/klingon fleet, it was never mentioned that they withdrew from the alliance was it?

In the Pale Moonlight was on CBS action earlier.. thank you series link!

A master class in acting by Brooks and Robinson and imho one of the best lines in all of star trek...

"and all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal and the self respect of one Starfleet officer"

Epic.

Quality episode. While I think Voyager gets a rough time of it, I can hand on heart say it never reached the dizzying heights of episodes like that. Brooks & Robinson were exceptional together.
    One another note, in season 6 i think it was a large romulan fleet decloaks and asks to join the fed/klingon fleet, it was never mentioned that they withdrew from the alliance was it?

Not that I remember anyway, they were present in the final battle scenes. Nemesis seems to have retconned the whole thing though

yeah, i couldnt remember it being mentioned, but it went from them joining the fleet at DS9 and then basically disappearing until they started putting weapons on the Bajoran moon near the end of the series

yeah, i couldnt remember it being mentioned, but it went from them joining the fleet at DS9 and then basically disappearing until they started putting weapons on the Bajoran moon near the end of the series

They did remove the weapons eventually, & I don't think it compromised the alliance, despite the Romulans doing their best to cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Nearly sure it was mentioned near the start of the war that the Romulans had entered a non aggression pact and would be pulling back all their ships

Nearly sure it was mentioned near the start of the war that the Romulans had entered a non aggression pact and would be pulling back all their ships

Enter "In The Pale Moonlight" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

A romulan does what a romulan needs to do.

They supported the initial stance at DS9, but then the senate signed a min aggression pact with the Dominion. In the hope that the dominion and the federation Klingon alliance would knock each other out. Leaving them a superior power in the quadrant. The assassination of the Romulan senator changed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Enter "In The Pale Moonlight" :)

I googled it

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Call_to_Arms_(episode)

DS9, Episode 5x26

Advertisement