Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

"In The Pale Moonlight" is the episode where the Romulans join the fight, abandoning their no aggression pact as a result of Sisko & Garak's plan to bring them into the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Myrddin wrote: »
    "In The Pale Moonlight" is the episode where the Romulans join the fight, abandoning their no aggression pact as a result of Sisko & Garak's plan to bring them into the war.

I know i watched it i was referencing when they siugned the non-aggression pact

I know i watched it i was referencing when they siugned the non-aggression pact

Oh right, sorry, crossed wires there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

This conversation really makes me sad about there being no HD DS9 :(

Beefy78 wrote: »
    This conversation really makes me sad about there being no HD DS9 :(

It's a crying shame, if any show deserves the HD treatment it's DS9 :(

• Advertisement

Look how good it looks, & this is just some fan made job as far as I know...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd pay a decent amount of money to see DS9 in HD.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd pay a decent amount of money to see DS9 in HD.

Same here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

new pants needed after that clip, really impressive looking

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What is the first decent episode of voyager?

Episode 1 and 2 are so meh.

I really like episode 3. It starts setting up arcs (some of which Voyager forgot)

It starts off with Carey in sickbay after Torres punched him. Chakotay has to deal with Tuvok and his Maquis crew threatening to mutiny

Then we go to a staff meeting where they are discussing the personnel shortage, energy crisis, having to shut off decks, Kes and Neelix talking about growing and making food

Janeway/Chakotay tensions

The Doctor and how he's being treated, whether he has a name, Kes starts treating him like a person.

Then we get the science mystery/techobabble event

Pretty solid episode I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

IvySlayer wrote: »

Then we go to a staff meeting where they are discussing the personnel shortage, energy crisis, having to shut off decks, Kes and Neelix talking about growing and making food

I wish this had stayed prominent.

Even if they threw in one or two lines about running the phasers and shields on energy saver mode it would make the kazon a more believable bad guy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Re-watching the Star Trek: Voyager season 7 episode "Human Error" and that one scene where Neelix is talking to Seven about the carpet matching the drapes as they discuss decorating her living quarters (in Seven's Holo-Programme), just had me in stitches... My inner teenager won out over my grown up self... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I fully watched Measure of a Man tonight, for the first time in years. It really is a fantastic episode, with some amazing scenes. I love the final scene, between Riker and Data. 'That action injured you, and saved me...I will not forgot it'. Brilliant :)

Also, Season 6, The Chase. The chat between Picard and the Romulan commander. 'It would seem we are not so dissimilar after all...in our hopes, and in our fears.' And 'Well then...perhaps...one day'. That 'One day' was hugely important and I always remember loving that scene. It showed the that Romulans weren't quite so dissimilar to humans, after us thinking they were the odd one outs during the episode, and gave us/Picard hope that one day, there might be a lasting peace.

TNG was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Kiith wrote: »
    I fully watched Measure of a Man tonight, for the first time in years. It really is a fantastic episode, with some amazing scenes. I love the final scene, between Riker and Data. 'That action injured you, and saved me...I will not forgot it'. Brilliant :)

It was on TV 2 weeks ago and i also watched it, i love the defense picard put up for Data one of my all time favorite episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Calhoun wrote: »
    It was on TV 2 weeks ago and i also watched it, i love the defense picard put up for Data one of my all time favorite episodes.

Riker's prosecution was pretty good though .. especially as it was clearly killing him to (have to) do it:

- "Pinocchio is broken. It's strings have been cut" - BOOM

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Riker's prosecution was pretty good though .. especially as it was clearly killing him to (have to) do it:

- "Pinocchio is broken. It's strings have been cut" - BOOM

It was great but I always wondered why Picard didn't bring in a Vulcan to pinch a human, saying the same.

Or why Data never covered that damn button

It was great but I always wondered why Picars didn't bring in a Vulcan to pinch a human, saying the same.

In what way?
    Or why Data never covered that damn button

Yea that was pretty stupid alright. Didn't Beverly disable him the same way when the crew get addicted to that game?

Pressing on a certain nerve point "switches off" a human

In what way?

Vulcan neck pinch, to show that anyone can be rendered 'inoperative', whether biological or mechanical. It's a good point, never thought of it.

• Advertisement

Working from home today and taking a break for lunch and stumbled across Deja Q on SyFy now

Classic Q banter before they ruined him later on in the series/franchise (only redeemed by the TNG finalé)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Was watching it too. Love the part where he is talking to Data in sickbay saying how there is species in the galaxy that think Data is the ultimate achievement the way he has no feeling no, emotions and can,t feel pain and how he Data covets does quality's of humanity says to Data you are missing nothing but if it means anything to you quote Q to Data "your a better human than I"

Also the bit at the end where Q gives Data a going away present ie: laughter. The bit where Picard is saying perhaps there is residue of humanity in Q after all after he done the job they were trying to and he goes to say engage and Q puts a Cigar in Picards hand and says don,t bet on it Picard

AMKC wrote: »
    Was watching it too. Love the part where he is talking to Data in sickbay saying how there is species in the galaxy that think Data is the ultimate achievement the way he has no feeling no, emotions and can,t feel pain and how he Data covets does quality's of humanity says to Data you are missing nothing but if it means anything to you quote Q to Data "your a better human than I"

Also the bit at the end where Q gives Data a going away present. The pit where Picard is saying perhaps there is residue of humanity in Q after all after he done the job they were trying to and he goes to say engage and Q puts a Cigar in Picards hand and says don,t bet on it Picard

The whole episode is full of classic lines:

Capt. Picard: Return that moon to its orbit.
    Q: I have no powers! Q the ordinary.
    Capt. Picard: Q the liar! Q the misanthrope!
    Q: Q the miserable, Q the desperate! What must I do to convince you people?
    Lieutenant Worf: Die.
    Q: Oh, very clever, Worf. Eat any good books lately?

[Q tries unsuccessfully to convince Worf that he has truly become an ordinary human]
    Lieutenant Worf: You have fooled us too often, Q.
    Q: Oh, perspicacity incarnate. Please don't feel compelled now to tell me the story of "The Boy Who Cried 'Worf'".

And of course....

I actually never noticed it before, but Worf's reaction when Q and the band appear is brilliant! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Isn't there a parting gift for Data? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Myrddin wrote: »
    Vulcan neck pinch, to show that anyone can be rendered 'inoperative', whether biological or mechanical. It's a good point, never thought of it.

temporarily only though, a person will self recover from that after a couple of hours, Data can't switch himself back on.

temporarily only though, a person will self recover from that after a couple of hours, Data can't switch himself back on.

Does it matter? Still disabled by the interruption of an electrical signal and, given the differences between life forms, the duration of this effect is inconsequential.

Does it matter? Still disabled by the interruption of an electrical signal and, given the differences between life forms, the duration of this effect is inconsequential.

It's not a matter of duration though - without outside intervention Data would never recover from it

It's not a matter of duration though - without outside intervention Data would never recover from it

I smack your temple in a certain point and you go into a coma and not recover without intervention.
    Same goes for a simple injection.

Given the vast array of life forms it makes no difference, as we have seen similar looking life forms react wildy different to the same stimulus.

Also Picard was right, Data's strength test should have been inadmissible given organic examples of higher strength

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I just watched The Motion Picture. You know what, it isn't that bad. It's way too long but it's proper Sci Fi.

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I just watched The Motion Picture. You know what, it isn't that bad. It's way too long but it's proper Sci Fi.

Big fan of it myself, has such a grand feel to it. The refit Enterprise is one of the nicest ships ever to grace a screen, and the film gave us a real proper introduction to her

Advertisement