Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Prime universe won't happen, or not without being ruined, it's too highbrow for Hollywood these day. Especially when you can just churn out Space-Action-Explosion-Trek and no matter how **** it is it'll make hundreds of millions

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Evade wrote: »
    If they were to do a Prime Universe film do you think they'd use a new crew or existing crew? And if it's an existing crew would they recast?

An existing crew but maybe more than just one crew. The TNG crew at least some of them anyway. Patrick Stewart said he would love to work with Tarantino. Some of the other crews in it too would be cool as well do.
    The last one was a step in the right direction IMHO.

Right after JJ left to do his copy/paste on Wars

I agree it was the best of the three and the most like The Original Series.
    It was not perfect it had some flaws but it was still a fun movie far better than the one before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,964 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally got to the fabled fourth season of Enterprise, and honestly yeah, credit where credit is due the standards really ramped upwards. The temporal cold war nonsense was quickly put to bed, albeit via a suspect 'nazis win ww2' story, but afterwards it has been a much better show than those awful first 1-3 seasons. Just finished 'Daedalus', which was a bit poor, but the decision to go with those 3-episode arcs was inspired. Wish more 20+ episode series did that (Agents of SHIELD recently took that approach with 3 main stories across its run)

The dip in resources is quite noticeable though; CGI a little shakier, the sets a touch more flimsy than before - none of which is helped either by the really distracting lighting. Everything far, far too brightly lit; spotlights bouncing off everyone's foreheads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just watched the TNG episode First Contact last night. Even in the most dire situations, Riker always finds a way to enjoy himself. Even for him, i thought that was a bit mad :P

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Finally got to the fabled fourth season of Enterprise, and honestly yeah, credit where credit is due the standards really ramped upwards. The temporal cold war nonsense was quickly put to bed, albeit via a suspect 'nazis win ww2' story, but afterwards it has been a much better show than those awful first 1-3 seasons. Just finished 'Daedalus', which was a bit poor, but the decision to go with those 3-episode arcs was inspired. Wish more 20+ episode series did that (Agents of SHIELD recently took that approach with 3 main stories across its run)

The dip in resources is quite noticeable though; CGI a little shakier, the sets a touch more flimsy than before - none of which is helped either by the really distracting lighting. Everything far, far too brightly lit; spotlights bouncing off everyone's foreheads :D

We would have gotten a great series from 4 to 7 I think. Building to Romulan war and birth of the Federation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

agree,

Also characters live Shran played by the brilliant jeffrey combs would have played more a role and could have seen it gone like DS9 with arcs

Ms

So it looks like the other Star Trek trilogy be it a series or films ids now on hold and will not be made anytime soon. Anyone else know anything about what is happening between Viacom and CBS?

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-trek-discovery/news/a857369/star-trek-new-trilogy-postponed-cbs-wrath-of-khan-director/

But at least we have the two new movies to look forward to and the next season of Discovery.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2420941/why-two-star-trek-movies-are-being-simultaneously-developed-according-to-simon-pegg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,752 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

YouTube suggestions delivers again...

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

So, watched the first ever ST pilot - The Cage. Not too bad, not too bad at all. You could really sense the whole feel and mould of what came in later shows. Superior species and all. A woman first officer in the 60s, blimey. I liked the effects too and there was a splash of humour at the end. My only previous connection was wearing out my Dad's VHS copy of The City on the Edge of Forever which is probably why I hold ST in high regard. Mere primitive humans blundering around the universe, what would they know, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So, watched the first ever ST pilot - The Cage. Not too bad, not too bad at all. You could really sense the whole feel and mould of what came in later shows. Superior species and all. A woman first officer in the 60s, blimey. I liked the effects too and there was a splash of humour at the end. My only previous connection was wearing out my Dad's VHS copy of The City on the Edge of Forever which is probably why I hold ST in high regard. Mere primitive humans blundering around the universe, what would they know, eh?

A black woman as first officer at that. Was insanely controversial at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Evade

Sonics2k wrote: »
    A black woman as first officer at that. Was insanely controversial at the time.
    Majel Barrett was the first officer wasn't she?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Evade wrote: »
    Majel Barrett was the first officer wasn't she?

Majel played a Nurse originally I'm sure, don't think she was an officer?

With that said, my comment was just poor grammar.

Meant to say "a black woman as the first female officer"

She was the original Number 1 in the first pilot "The Cage".
    Was one of the reasons the studio forced a second pilot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Evade

She was a lieutenant during TOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

With that said, my comment was just poor grammar.

Meant to say "a black woman as the first female officer"

She was Nurse Chapel, she had a thing for Spock too :)

latest?cb=20060310131030

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Aye, Nurse Chapel in the TOS we saw – but she played "Number One", the first officer, in the original pilot.

699?cb=20170823170645&path-prefix=en

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Number_One

Rewatching TNG at the mo. Currently nearing the end of S2. All I can say is Pulaski is leagues ahead of Crusher, was a shame she didn't stay on. I know the hostility/prejudice towards Data was disliked, but she warmed to him as the season went on....far, far better character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,964 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I see Star Trek Online, the MMO game, has had a large update that adds a big storyline set on DS9, complete with a bunch of the cast reprising their roles. I'd almost be tempted to install & play (don't usually touch MMOs with a 10 foot bargepole), just to see what Kira & co. are up to these days ...

• Advertisement

Star Trek Online

€300 for a lifetime subscription :D

Ms

Inviere wrote: »
    Rewatching TNG at the mo. Currently nearing the end of S2. All I can say is Pulaski is leagues ahead of Crusher, was a shame she didn't stay on. I know the hostility/prejudice towards Data was disliked, but she warmed to him as the season went on....far, far better character.

Have to disagree myself. We had Mckoy in TOS we did not need a female version of him in TNG. I thought Crusher was a much nicer and far better doctor. Crusher also suited TNG better than Pulaski did.

Inviere wrote: »
    €300 for a lifetime subscription :D

Huh? I had thought the game was free...

The thought if pootling about the Trek universe in my own ship would be kinda cool, but MMOs are a genre I just hate, am too antisocial lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I see Star Trek Online, the MMO game, has had a large update that adds a big storyline set on DS9, complete with a bunch of the cast reprising their roles. I'd almost be tempted to install & play (don't usually touch MMOs with a 10 foot bargepole), just to see what Kira & co. are up to these days ...

I enjoy it, been playing since Launch.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

AMKC wrote: »
    Have to disagree myself. We had Mckoy in TOS we did not need a female version of him in TNG. I thought Crusher was a much nicer and far better doctor. Crusher also suited TNG better than Pulaski did.

Crusher had about as much depth as an after eight though. If Pulaski had remained on and seen further development, she’d have resulted in a not just good, but great character imo.

Careful with Star Trek Online if you want story. It's Memory Beta levels of absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Kiith wrote: »
    Careful with Star Trek Online if you want story. It's Memory Beta levels of absolute madness.

Pretty sure ive murdered a few million at this stage

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Played a bit of STO years ago. Very first training mission had me, a lvl-1 cadet or whatever, blasting through waves of Borg drones with my phaser on some ship they'd just boarded.

Stopped playing after that tbh. Just felt like a bad generic shooter with a slightly Star Trek skin.

Maybe it's gotten better since? Would quite a like a Star Trek world to explore but I've no appetite for another generic MMO.

Same as Goodshape, which was why I was wondering: the Mass Effect series came closest to emulating the Trek'esque feeling of exploring a galaxy and interacting with various species. The series did kinda go too action focused as it went on, but the first game still ranks as one of the best gaming experiences I ever had - of the aforementioned ilk.

I guess it's more expensive to make dialogue heavy, action-lite space opera games.

• Advertisement

I was disappointed with pretty much everything to do with ST Online. I basically wanted Eve Online, with Star Trek skins. What we got was a badly designed game, with awful ground combat and very average space combat. As above, being made captain of your own ship after a single fight with some Borg made no sense (at the time...Kirk in 2009 wasn't that far off).

I remember flying around Sector space and thinking how big a missed opportunity it was. The game got better over the years, but it's still very basic. Maybe one day they'll do another one, but i don't have much hope for it.

I always think of Mass Effect as more of the Star Wars of gaming. It's was a big, action packed adventure.

Advertisement