Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Been using online dating sites for a while so I thought I may as well join in the discussion/ (bitchfest)

I see plenty of people have gotten weird first messages, I doubt however someone can top “I just thought id let you know you look like Ian Huntley” (Infamous kiddie murderer).

Which I thought was exceptionally weird, I considered telling her she looked like Myra Hindley (she didn’t really but then I don’t look like Ian Huntley) but chose not to take the bait.

In terms of a crazy first date with someone I met online, I had a girl who wanted me to look at pictures on her phone for some reason when a few photos in up pops some naked photos of her ex and when I asked why she still kept them she responded “I couldn’t delete them because he is to hot”

PMSL :D

That_Guy, you completely read my mind with that one. Also, if you put some of the things girls say on a guy's profile, you know they'd never ever get any messages -

"I'm looking for someone to take care of me"
    - What, you want me to be your babysitter? You're a fully grown woman, you can take care of yourself and, if not, there's something wrong.

---

Or the ones that seem to think it's high-larious to include the hints under the Mandatory section of your profile as the description of themselves.-
    For your own safety, do not include your name, phone number or address.
    People will read both your profile AND message when deciding if they should write back to you. If your profile is really lame it won't matter how good your message is.

If you want to be successful on POF, try this:
    1. Talk about your hobbies.
    2. Talk about your goals and aspirations
    3. Talk about yourself and what makes you unique.
    4. Describe your taste in music.

Yes, you're unoriginal, lazy and not funny. A real catch there!

That_Guy, you completely read my mind with that one. Also, if you put some of the things girls say on a guy's profile, you know they'd never ever get any messages -

"I'm looking for someone to take care of me"
    - What, you want me to be your babysitter? You're a fully grown woman, you can take care of yourself and, if not, there's something wrong.

---

Or the ones that seem to think it's high-larious to the hints before the Mandatory section on your profile -

For your own safety, do not include your name, phone number or address.

Yes, you're unoriginal, lazy and not funny. A real catch there!

Are you saying that the bit you quoted from POF is a load of b0lL1x?

Are you saying that the bit you quoted from POF is a load of b0lL1x?

Woah, mistyped that.. hold on, I'll correct.

Woah, mistyped that.. hold on, I'll correct.

:confused:

• Advertisement

As in instead of actually writing anything about themselves, they copy and paste those words into their profile.

Just set a minimum of 50 characters on any incoming messages. I expect this will hinder women making first contact with me, but I was getting fed up with just "Hey, how are you?" type messages.

As in instead of actually writing anything about themselves, they copy and paste those words into their profile.

Just set a minimum of 50 characters on any incoming messages. I expect this will hinder women making first contact with me, but I was getting fed up with just "Hey, how are you?" type messages.

LOL ok now I got ya. I've sent a few messages to people asking about things on their profile such as taste in music, etc, but got no replies.

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't take that to heart - for every 5 messages I send, I might get 1 reply back. It's just the way of the game.

I wouldn't take that to heart - for every 5 messages I send, I might get 1 reply back. It's just the way of the game.

K...........ta. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I have found an ingenious way to increase my profile views.....stay online :p :pac: Or maybe just maybe, the re-jig of my profile is working.

I goggled this for the laugh, didn't actually think it would exist :D And no I wont be purchasing.

• Advertisement

caesar wrote: »
    I have found an ingenious way to increase my profile views.....stay online :p :pac: Or maybe just maybe, the re-jig of my profile is working.

I goggled this for the laugh, didn't actually think it would exist :D And no I wont be purchasing.

PMSL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

A "friend" of mine has a query, on POF if you get a message from somone looking for an "Intimate Encounter" and you reply to it does that autmoaticly block you from making first contact with all girls who have a criteria of "Must not have messaged users for intimate encounter" or is it only if you send a first message to someone looking for "Intimate Encounter" does the block come into place?

My "friend" isnt really looking for an Intimate Encounter but they have received a message on a boring sunday afternoon and are curious as to how it will play out but dont want to mess up their chances with potential women they are actually interested in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bordsie

Taking a more pro-active approach and sending out mails tonight...

getting a lot of the dreaded view profile, then no response :/

i think thats worse cause they've definately actually read my profile, looked at my pics then decided not to wb haha

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

A "friend" of mine has a query, on POF if you get a message from somone looking for an "Intimate Encounter" and you reply to it does that autmoaticly block you from making first contact with all girls who have a criteria of "Must not have messaged users for intimate encounter" or is it only if you send a first message to someone looking for "Intimate Encounter" does the block come into place?

My "friend" isnt really looking for an Intimate Encounter but they have received a message on a boring sunday afternoon and are curious as to how it will play out but dont want to mess up their chances with potential women they are actually interested in.

I was just thinking this today as I clicked on a name in my inbox, ya know the way if someone previously messaged you and you see their name in your inbox if they're online, and I noticed he had down "intimate encounter".

My guess would be that if you didn't initate contact then its okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Has anybody noticed that settings on pof can change by themselves?? I just noticed my intent setting was not what I had chosen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bordsie

it still says "1 New Message" on my page even though i checked my mails and can't see any new ones?

anyone know where this hidden message may be? i know that they show the previous mails now in thread format.

im just worried as was waiting on an attached pic haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I just saw this girls profile on POF who also had a profile on spareroom.co.uk, picture was the give away....half tempted to mail her and ask how the flat hunting is going :pac:

Following on from That_Guy's post earlier on, stumbled onto a profile with a list of "don't contact me if". Has the usual don't do drugs/smoke etc., write a decent reply.. then this:
    - You have a dog or pet that you dress up or carry around in your bag - Its an animal, put it out in the garden.

:pac: Made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

bordsie wrote: »
    it still says "1 New Message" on my page even though i checked my mails and can't see any new ones?

anyone know where this hidden message may be? i know that they show the previous mails now in thread format.

im just worried as was waiting on an attached pic haha!

Yeah it happened me. Everytime i logged on with my laptop it came up but couldnt see the message. But then when i logged in on my phone i got to see the message as i have the android app and it was from a guy who i had reported for indecent images, so he must have been deleted or blocked by POF, but had sent me a message before he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Am a lurker for a while on this thread, enjoy reading others online experiences - a lot of them i can relate too.

Being dabbling in it on & off for a while and have had a generally positive experiance - had a number of dates with different guys, didn't amount to anything due to no mutal spark, but good fun all the same.

I moved to plenty of fish before christmas & am not getting anywhere, not even getting "hi sexy" messages :o or reply to any messages I send. Would appreciate if someone could have a look at my profile - just to have a 2nd opinion would be great.

I am 38yo female btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd be interested to read the grievances of male profiles from a female perspective actually.

I'd imagine most of it will be about lads posing with no t-shirt on. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Id hazard a guess that blokes with their shirts off would be of the same ilk as girls that have photos of themselves up in underwear/bikini's/boobs half on show.

Does anyones POF page keep switching between UK people and Irish people?? Am I doing something wrong here?

Or pictures of just their crotch

Or pictures of cars.

Or pictures where's there is more than one person in the photo. :confused:

Or "Just checking dis out for da craic"

Or "I'm into typical guys things" which are..?

Or "blah blah blah blah blah blah..." If you're that lazy in writing a small piece about yourself.... well then.. :rolleyes:

Or "want to know more, just ask" - well you've feck all on your page, what the hell am I meant to start off with?

Or "I've been told.." Hmm, so you don't know your own personality but have to be told by others? Interesting.

Or "Luv goin out on d town wiv me mates"

Or (this really annoys me for some reason) "My family and friends are very important to me". You'd have to be a very souless and lonely person if they were not.

Of course, my profile is amaZing! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Birdsong wrote: »
    Am a lurker for a while on this thread, enjoy reading others online experiences - a lot of them i can relate too.

Being dabbling in it on & off for a while and have had a generally positive experiance - had a number of dates with different guys, didn't amount to anything due to no mutal spark, but good fun all the same.

I moved to plenty of fish before christmas & am not getting anywhere, not even getting "hi sexy" messages :o or reply to any messages I send. Would appreciate if someone could have a look at my profile - just to have a 2nd opinion would be great.

I am 38yo female btw

Pm me and ill give you my professional advice for free. Haha.

Larianne wrote: »
    Or "I'm into typical guys things" which are..?

Cars... Phwoar... Football... Phwoar.... Girls... Phwoar...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Pm me and ill give you my professional advice for free. Haha.

PM send

That_Guy wrote: »
    Cars... Phwoar... Football... Phwoar.... Girls... Phwoar...

Ya forgot beer, tut tut :pac:

Larianne wrote: »
    Ya forgot beer, tut tut :pac:

Beer... Phwoar... McCoy's crips... Phwoar

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Beer... Phwoar... McCoy's crips... Phwoar

You forgot Yorkies, tut tut.

Sorry,I'll stop now. :o

This discussion has been closed.