Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 KateMiddleton

johnr1 wrote: »
    Getting royally sick of mailing women on OKC and getting no replies. A profile view if I'm lucky, and the odd initial message from someone who's profile I've viewed and decided not to message. I had my profile reviewed twice, and both of you (thanks btw) said it was excellent. Good photos, properly composed, relevant messages, and still nada. I think it's the fact that I'm honest about being separated, everyone "loooves" the honesty, when it comes down to it, will choose someone with no visible baggage. It's totally depressing. :(
    Won't go on POF, I was there a couple of years ago and the constant textspeak and general vacancy got to me there. From people's posts, it ain't got better.

I'm wondering - like another poster, are we all just shooting at people out of our "league" ?

I generally don't agree with the concept of leagues determining who we date, evidenced by personal experience of dating women I figured were waay hotter and smarter than me, but I wonder if in RL, our own individual charisma allows us to jump up a few levels sometimes, while in photos and messages, the lack of being able to project this is the true leveller?

Hey I'm separated too and i'd never mention it on a dating site. Totally unnecessary IMO it just makes it appear like you're not over it, like it's something important in your life, like it defines you. I don't mention it until the second date as it's not something I want people to think about before they get to know me. Everyone makes mistakes but better to let people know you first before you reveal stuff like that IMO. Maybe I'm not phrasing that well but I don't see why you need to mention it. Another separated friend told me when i started dating again not to mention it until i'd at least kissed someone at my sister said not necessary until before we sleep together. There is generally a fair bit of a gap between the two for me but i reckon if I like someone I say it on the second date in case they turn out to be a judgmental freak. Even then I don't talk about it I just say 'hey i hope it doesn't bother you but i was married to my ex' and then just shrug and take another large slurp of my drink'. Just noticed in one of your earlierposts you mention that it's a minus if you're separated. Only if you let it be if you are confident and think I'm a focking fabulous catch ;-D people will just accept the separated thing I don't like it either but the fact that my ex was an immature fool that couldn't keep his trousers on is my past and is not going to affect my future.

PM me if ya want but I think i'm right....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

KTRIC wrote: »
    Please enlighten me, what does a metaller look like ?? :rolleyes:

I listen to metal a lot. I don't have it in my profile because unfortunately, it's a stereotype that you're a Satan worshipping angry child and people find it off putting.

I don't look like I listen to metal. I guess I look "normal" if you were to put me alongside a chap with long hair, leather coat, combats and a Children Of Bodom t-shirt.

Stereotypes are rampant in society these days. This is just another one unfortunately.

On the flip side, I was in Fibbers with a mate not too long ago and I was getting weird stares from people because I wasn't wearing black or wearing a band t-shirt. On one occasion, a lad asked me if I had walked into the wrong pub and if I even liked rock/metal music.

Works both ways I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

That_Guy wrote: »
    I listen to metal a lot. I don't have it in my profile because unfortunately, it's a stereotype that you're a Satan worshipping angry child and people find it off putting.

I don't look like I listen to metal. I guess I look "normal" if you were to put me alongside a chap with long hair, leather coat, combats and a Children Of Bodom t-shirt.

Stereotypes are rampant in society these days. This is just another one unfortunately.

On the flip side, I was in Fibbers with a mate not too long ago and I was getting weird stares from people because I wasn't wearing black or wearing a band t-shirt. On one occasion, a lad asked me if I had walked into the wrong pub and if I even liked rock/metal music.

Works both ways I guess.
    I agree with you completely on this one, alot of people think Im not really into rock music cause I dont drink im band tshirts and dress a certain way.
    And people on the other side think I dress like a grunger cuz I cause I wear cons, big frickin whoop.

I'm not really a girly girl girl so I must be a lesbian.
    Im not really a rocker so I must be preppy popper.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭red_diesel

My tuppence worth. I have tried the online dating (POF) thing the last month or so. Put some pics up, followed all the rules, pics of me smiling having fun etc. Wrote bio etc. I message all girls I was interested in. I didn't copy and paste, I wrote each individually. From maybe 30 messages i got 2 replies. Now the most annoying aspect is that most of the girls I messaged didn't even look at my profile! I'm mid 30's and messaging mainly girls between 28-34. I know I'm no ugly duckling either!

Contrast this with the bar scene. I know if I go out I will chat to some girls or at least they will give me a chance! The reason I turned to online dating is that after I broke up with my girlfriend I found all my friends settled so getting someone to go out with was hard. However I don't care any more. I'm hitting the town solo. Anything is better than the barren landscape that is POF.

What I did try and did enjoy was speed dating. For alot of people this means leaving their comfort zone and getting out and meeting real people. You have to make the effort and talk to people. I found I got way more correspondence from people I met speed dating than from POF.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Gripes with (some) women's profiles

The emphasis on negativity on some profile's is staggering.

"Don't message me if you're not over 5' 10""
    "Don't message if you can't hold a conversation"
    "Don't message me if you can't accept that my friends are first and foremost in my life"
    "Don't message me if you can't handle me"

etc etc

To start spouting this type of stuff at the start of the profile is really off putting. It's like I'm ticking off a checklist at times before I'm even seemingly allowed to send you a message.

----

"I liv 4 da wkends wiv me gurls"

That's great to know. One in every 2 profile's I encounter will have this shít written at the end of it.

I'm delighted you have friends. Honestly I am, but what relevance does that have to me? I'm hear to message YOU and not your "gurls".

(Minor grievance perhaps)

----

I saw a couple of profiles with a variation of the following line:

"Lads I get over 100 messages. Be original"

Well aren't you Miss fúcking popular? I'll gladly waste my time writing an original and non copied and pasted message to you. If you don't get back to me, it's ok. I'll sit twiddling my thumbs and I'll assume the lack of reply is because you'll be wading through your thousands of messages.

If I do get a message back, I'll have deemed myself worthy of jumping through your fúcking hoops just to get a "hi there" back.

----

One profile I encountered during the week read:

"Lads, stop sending me messages commenting on my tits"

I sent her a message back saying, "Well stop flaunting them in every photo you have up."

Would you not stop to think for a second. "Mmmm, why am I getting so many comments about my breasts?"

Surely it can't have anything to do with your pictures. God fúcking forbid it should.

----

End rant.

EDIT: Oh and those lists that some girls have on their profile:

"I'm the girl who is trustworthy/caring etc etc"

Are you yeah? What you should do is this:

"I'm the girl who copies and pastes meaningless bollocks that doesn't really relate to myself"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

careymary wrote: »
    Ok well i decided it was time to dip my toe back into POF water and inspired by all the comments here about how girls should make contact I did exactly that,
    I wrote a long message quite witty ( if I do say so myself) and very linked to his profile, got back a "wow thanks for your well thought out message, have you a pic" message, seriously after all my effort another line or two wouldnt have killed him!
    I dont mind asking for a pic, my profile says i have private pics, i totally get that, its just the whole message,to me, stank of couldnt be bothered replying til I see if its worth my while, if somebody had obviously taken time and effort to mail me, well damn it i reckon they deserve a proper reply!
    Am thinking maybe I am done with it!

Well, no, you're not done with the whole internet dating thing, or at least you shouldn't be! You're just done with that one fella - another one off the list! There are so many genuine people out there, no point in writing the whole thing off because of some bad experiences.

For what it's worth, as a girl, I did find POF quite sleazy and scary (but, having said that, I was only on it for only maybe a week!) I much preferred OK Cupid, you mightn't have as many people on it, but for me personally I think I'd find it a bit overwhelming to be trying to keep up messaging/dating more than one guy at a time anyways!

I really don't get why girls have such reluctance to message guys. :confused: I mean, you see a guy you like, he's quite likely not even seen your profile, it seems silly to wait for him to message you! I guess I'm not really into the whole power-play thing in relationships ... if I like a guy, I'd be quite happy to put myself out there and let him know about it!

God, I probably sound really desperate or something right now. :o :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

Well, no, you're not done with the whole internet dating thing, or at least you shouldn't be! You're just done with that one fella - another one off the list! There are so many genuine people out there, no point in writing the whole thing off because of some bad experiences.

For what it's worth, as a girl, I did find POF quite sleazy and scary (but, having said that, I was only on it for only maybe a week!) I much preferred OK Cupid, you mightn't have as many people on it, but for me personally I think I'd find it a bit overwhelming to be trying to keep up messaging/dating more than one guy at a time anyways!

I really don't get why girls have such reluctance to message guys. :confused: I mean, you see a guy you like, he's quite likely not even seen your profile, it seems silly to wait for him to message you! I guess I'm not really into the whole power-play thing in relationships ... if I like a guy, I'd be quite happy to put myself out there and let him know about it!

God, I probably sound really desperate or something right now. :o :pac:

No you dont sound desperate, I totally agree with you, if you want to message someone then do I say,
    last time I was on POF I didnt really look at profiles etc until someone messaged me, was very much a passive user! Not this time!

I was on OKCupid before and there were roughly 2 guys who where anywhere near me, and I found interesting to chat to, the user pool is so small its a pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

TG well said :)

I say I won't message if they are outside Ireland. I also don't message guys out of my age range due to personal experience! But the rest I'll check out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ok well i decided it was time to dip my toe back into POF water and inspired by all the comments here about how girls should make contact I did exactly that,
    I wrote a long message quite witty ( if I do say so myself) and very linked to his profile, got back a "wow thanks for your well thought out message, have you a pic" message, seriously after all my effort another line or two wouldnt have killed him!
    I dont mind asking for a pic, my profile says i have private pics, i totally get that, its just the whole message,to me, stank of couldnt be bothered replying til I see if its worth my while, if somebody had obviously taken time and effort to mail me, well damn it i reckon they deserve a proper reply!
    Am thinking maybe I am done with it!

I think you are being a little unfair here.

Could you see this guys picture before you messaged him? Would you have sent such a message to someone with no picture?

First of all , us guys or well at least me personally. We send messages like that and get no replies at all. You at least got a reply. Would you be more annoyed if he didn't message you at all?

Secondly, if I got a message like that from someone with no pics, I'm pretty sure I would send a decent reply back and I'd be too embarrassed to "ask" for pics. But I'd find the situation very uncomfortable. I'll be flattered to get a nice message and put time into a reply but ultimately I'm worried

"what if I'm not attracted to her at all"

"how long are this messages going to go on for before I can see"

"I'm going to get trapped in a scenario where theres no way I can get out of it without looking like an asshole"

Its really not fair to message without a pic up. Unless they don't have a pic either.

Agree 100% I totally see where you are coming from. Though I'm a guy so I don't have to deal with an overwhelming amount of messages :(

I really don't get why girls have such reluctance to message guys. I mean, you see a guy you like, he's quite likely not even seen your profile, it seems silly to wait for him to message you! I guess I'm not really into the whole power-play thing in relationships ... if I like a guy, I'd be quite happy to put myself out there and let him know about it!

God, I probably sound really desperate or something right now.

No you don't you sound brilliant. If more Irish women thought like you this country would be a better place for it. Dunno how the you think you sound desperate :S

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

"Don't message me if you can't accept that my friends are first and foremost in my life"

etc etc

To start spouting this type of stuff at the start of the profile is really off putting. It's like I'm ticking off a checklist at times before I'm even seemingly allowed to send you a message.

----

That's great to know. One in every 2 profile's I encounter will have this shít written at the end of it.

I'm delighted you have friends. Honestly I am, but what relevance does that have to me? I'm hear to message YOU and not your "gurls".

----

Well aren't you Miss fúcking popular? I'll gladly waste my time writing an original and non copied and pasted message to you. If you don't get back to me, it's ok. I'll sit twiddling my thumbs and I'll assume the lack of reply is because you'll be wading through your thousands of messages.

If I do get a message back, I'll have deemed myself worthy of jumping through your fúcking hoops just to get a "hi there" back.

----

I sent her a message back saying, "Well stop flaunting them in every photo you have up."

Would you not stop to think for a second. "Mmmm, why am I getting so many comments about my breasts?"

Surely it can't have anything to do with your pictures. God fúcking forbid it should.

----

End rant.

"I'm the girl who copies and pastes meaningless bollocks that doesn't really relate to myself"

I agree with everything above

• Advertisement

I think you are being a little unfair here.

Could you see this guys picture before you messaged him? Would you have sent such a message to someone with no picture?

First of all , us guys or well at least me personally. We send messages like that and get no replies at all. You at least got a reply. Would you be more annoyed if he didn't message you at all?

Secondly, if I got a message like that from someone with no pics, I'm pretty sure I would send a decent reply back and I'd be too embarrassed to "ask" for pics. But I'd find the situation very uncomfortable. I'll be flattered to get a nice message and put time into a reply but ultimately I'm worried

"what if I'm not attracted to her at all"

"how long are this messages going to go on for before I can see"

"I'm going to get trapped in a scenario where theres no way I can get out of it without looking like an asshole"

Its really not fair to message without a pic up. Unless they don't have a pic either.

Ok to answer some of your queries,
    1- Yes I could see his pic he chose to have it on public display on his profile
    2- Yes I have messaged guys with no photo where I spent time and effort on a message to them connecting to their profile if I had been interested in what I read
    3- Actually Yes I would be annoyed if he didnt message me, I dont know if i would be more or less or the same though.
    I always reply to people and while I can understand while some people dont, I have been on the receiving end of abuse for saying i wasnt keen myself, I prefer to message people back - my motto is treat others as you would like to be treated

I know I chose to have my pics on private, I have no problem sending them if I have mailed someone, I usually attach them to my second mail even if someone hasnt asked.
    But like many who have private pics I have my reasons for that, I work with teenagers who use POF to hook up and so I dont want them coming across my page, I know you didnt ask I am just telling you.

I respect what you are saying to me but I really disagree with the last line, sure if I message someone with a pic and dont get a reply it sucks but I would understand.
    I have never messaged anyone who said no pic no reply in their profile and I know people can set their settings to not receive mail from people with no pic which again is their choice and I respect that.
    I think if I read someones profile and like it and they dont have any no pic stuff up its fair game, let them chose if they want to reply but wouldnt take myself out of it just because I didnt have a pic up!

As for being unfair, maybe but I feel what I feel and the way his message came across was so different to even the way he wrote his profile that I was a bit put out by what I perceived to be his tone, thats the beauty of internet dating too sometimes you read it wrong but I tend to go with my gut feeling on these things!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

I went on my first internet date last nite!

Not with the guy I was originally meant to be meeting but another one.
    Went really well, he as lovely, we were chattin away, think we're meetin up midweek again.

Only I think is, I cant really see myself going out with him, but I said to myself I would give it another go. no harm sure :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

etc etc

----

----

----

----

End rant.

You my friend, are a genius

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

My date didn't go ahead :(
    Really not having any luck online :o

Hey careymary, just to say I didnt mean to come of too critical , I was just trying to offer a male perspective. I completely understand where you are coming from and I'd feel down too after sending a well thought out message to someone. To reply to what you were saying:
    Ok to answer some of your queries,
    2- Yes I have messaged guys with no photo where I spent time and effort on a message to them connecting to their profile if I had been interested in what I read

Wow fair play. Is there many interesting profiles though on POF as I'm pretty much seeing hordes profiles that are just images with one liners. That's why I generally stick to OKC as you can get a sense of the person. Pity there's so few on it.
    3- Actually Yes I would be annoyed if he didnt message me, I dont know if i would be more or less or the same though.
    I always reply to people and while I can understand while some people dont, I have been on the receiving end of abuse for saying i wasnt keen myself, I prefer to message people back - my motto is treat others as you would like to be treated

I agree completely. Though never got abuse for not liking someone. Jesus is that pretty common?

Its pretty much standard that most women don't reply , I dunno what it is for guys though since I wouldn't be messaging them but its rare to see a female profile with 'replies often'.
    I know I chose to have my pics on private, I have no problem sending them if I have mailed someone, I usually attach them to my second mail even if someone hasnt asked.
    But like many who have private pics I have my reasons for that, I work with teenagers who use POF to hook up and so I dont want them coming across my page, I know you didnt ask I am just telling you.

That's a totally understandable reason to not put your pics on public. My POF profile is set to private. But I assume this means if I do message someone they can see it then, pics and all? Maybe that would be a better idea.

What I'm getting at is, having your pic viewable to the person your messaging is the best way to play it from a guys perspective. I'm not saying putting you pic on public, but if you do message someone, who has a pic up, he should be able to see you from the first moment of contact so everyone is on equal ground for the reply. So maybe try sending your pic along with your first mail or try the whole private profile thing (assuming it works the way I think it does)

As for being unfair, maybe but I feel what I feel and the way his message came across was so different to even the way he wrote his profile that I was a bit put out by what I perceived to be his tone, thats the beauty of internet dating too sometimes you read it wrong but I tend to go with my gut feeling on these things!

I understand you. & as I said I'm not agreeing with the guy in that his message does seem cold and blunt. As I said I would give a decent reply myself but I would also feel uncomfortable about the situation, her knowing what I look like and me not knowing what she looks like.

This guy is probably more of an extrovert and confident personality then myself thus he just came out with a direct response.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Like one of the other posters, I'm following all the rules in terms of putting up pics of me smiling having fun etc. I think my profile is well put together. I message girls that I guess are my type which means I'm not sending out loads of messages just for the sake of it.

I write each message individually and always pick out a few things in their profile. I've started to move away from commenting too much on how they look and have tried different tactics in terms of trying to give them a sense of what kind of a person I am. Equally, I try not to talk too much about myself. I usually have something witty in there for good measure...I think. At the moment, I'm taking the less is more approach in terms of the length of the messages I send.

I'm not hearing much back, most don't even appear to view my profile but I'm being patient for now. The funny thing is, I'm in London and you'd think there'd be loads but I keep coming across the same profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

careymary, I kinda agree with new2netdating. The reply was abrupt, yes but you've no pic up so the guy is going to ask for one before he starts a conversation with you. Its happened to me before where I've replied to guys who've no photo up and had a bit of a chat. Then they've sent me a pic. Ended up not being attracted to them and then it was just awkward having to tell them I wasn't attracted to them. Its saves a lot of hassle and everyone's time if you send a pic of yourself in your first message. Have you replied to him?

@that_guy - :pac: I always advise people not to put anything negative in their profile. It just puts me off the person.

@missbelle - awh, that's a shame. Any chance of rescheduling?? Don't lose hope yet.

Larianne wrote: »
    careymary, I kinda agree with new2netdating. The reply was abrupt, yes but you've no pic up so the guy is going to ask for one before he starts a conversation with you. Its happened to me before where I've replied to guys who've no photo up and had a bit of a chat. Then they've sent me a pic. Ended up not being attracted to them and then it was just awkward having to tell them I wasn't attracted to them. Its saves a lot of hassle and everyone's time if you send a pic of yourself in your first message. Have you replied to him?

I have no problem with him asking for a pic, it was just the fact that his message was so well abrupt,
    In the intrest of fairness I did send him my pic, i included a lighthearted comment saying here you go............you havnt left me with much to reply to though!
    He replied "your funny :)"
    To be honest I am now thinking someone else wrote his profile!

I see what you are saying about including a pic in my first message, maybe thats a way of avoiding it again, you live you learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I can be very abrupt in emails, its not personal it's just my style! If a guy sent me a one line email or six page one won't pay any attention until I see a picture and I may quickly respond saying 'pic please!' and it could literally be that short! Its internet dating, peoples writing styles are different and interpreted differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Any time Ive had pictures on private and Ive messaged someone Id always attach a picture in the first message.

There is never a good time to ask someone for a picture,or to be asked for one so I think its just a measure to preempt that awkward question.

• Advertisement

If your POF profile is on private but you have pics etc on it. Does all that show when you message someone yeah?

@missbelle - awh, that's a shame. Any chance of rescheduling?? Don't lose hope yet.

Nope, no word from him... think I'll cut my losses with regards that one, unless we're chatting again this week. felt a bit foolish, as I kinda suggested it and he agreed but then no response on what time/where exactly we'd meet! :(

Tis tough going this online lark :D

I have no problem with him asking for a pic, it was just the fact that his message was so well abrupt,
    In the intrest of fairness I did send him my pic, i included a lighthearted comment saying here you go............you havnt left me with much to reply to though!
    He replied "your funny :)"
    To be honest I am now thinking someone else wrote his profile!

I see what you are saying about including a pic in my first message, maybe thats a way of avoiding it again, you live you learn!

Hi mary,

I understand why you don't want to have public photos up. which obviously greatly reduces the chance of receiving a mail from a guy.
    I myself have photos on my POF profile, and the only mail setting I have set, is that someone must have a photo in order to mail me. as me personally, would not contact someone who didn't have a photo. (Although I am having little luck with guys I make contact with first, apart from one, so maybe I'm not the best to give out advice)
    Just said I'd give my 2cents.

Good luck :)

missbelle wrote: »
    Hi mary,

I understand why you don't want to have public photos up. which obviously greatly reduces the chance of receiving a mail from a guy.
    I myself have photos on my POF profile, and the only mail setting I have set, is that someone must have a photo in order to mail me. as me personally, would not contact someone who didn't have a photo. (Although I am having little luck with guys I make contact with first, apart from one, so maybe I'm not the best to give out advice)
    Just said I'd give my 2cents.

Good luck :)

I think its great that people can set their mail that way, if thats what they want, and thats why the settings are there, so we dont get the type of mail we dont want!

hell at the end of the day we all have our own likes and dislikes, I am not of the opinion someone should mail me back just because i mailed them but it would be nice if when you put in thought and effort someone could have the courtesy to do the same back! I know thats not always how it goes, I guess my re entry into online dating could have got off to a better start, is what I am saying!!

As for having luck with guys, it only takes the one - unfortunatly finding him can take a while! Keep the chin up!

If your POF profile is on private but you have pics etc on it. Does all that show when you message someone yeah?

I dont know to be honest, I would guess so!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yes it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

johnr1 wrote: »
    Funniest thing I've heard in a while. :D:D

Thanks for the laugh.

Funny because it's true!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

@that_guy - :pac: I always advise people not to put anything negative in their profile. It just puts me off the person.

The same happened me. At least if you see a photo first you can pretend you are not interested for other reasons. There is no nice way to say you don't fancy them or drop contact after seeing a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

This thread needs a night out on the razz :) Internet dating can be good at times but from reading this it isn't for everyone.

Has worked for me and several others.

Keep on trucking everyone :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Been using online dating sites for a while so I thought I may as well join in the discussion/ (bitchfest)

I see plenty of people have gotten weird first messages, I doubt however someone can top “I just thought id let you know you look like Ian Huntley” (Infamous kiddie murderer).

Which I thought was exceptionally weird, I considered telling her she looked like Myra Hindley (she didn’t really but then I don’t look like Ian Huntley) but chose not to take the bait.

In terms of a crazy first date with someone I met online, I had a girl who wanted me to look at pictures on her phone for some reason when a few photos in up pops some naked photos of her ex and when I asked why she still kept them she responded “I couldn’t delete them because he is to hot”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement