Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Is it bad being turned off by someone commenting on my looks in the second mail they sent? :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Larianne wrote: »
    Is it bad being turned off by someone commenting on my looks in the second mail they sent? :cool:

Only if they are compliments you can't return! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Well did he say something positive or negative about your looks?If it was positive I say he was just trying to be nice and compliment you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I don't think I would say bad but I feel that it's one of those things that is a double standard since the other person's looks play a role (to some extent) in how we relate or don't relate to them.

I am a little put off when someone says something about how I look before we even talk but since I have done it before as well (maybe not as directly as some of the ones I've got) but done it all the same, I try to give them another chance and see if we have something in common.

That said, I am also the girl that's a little paranoid about the fact that there are people who consider overweight people an easy target so my reaction might be a little rooted in the paranoia. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

That_Guy wrote: »
    "Brenda meets the winners of Dirty Dancing competition"

If I knew I'd be meeting Brenda I'd have intentionally ballsed up my chances of winning. Insufferable bint.

You talking about the Mooney show?? :D

Just following on to what I see alot written on mens profiles on pof the classic "I live for the weekends.... I work hard to play hard" Seriously some people are watching too many movies thinking their living the life of an 'international playboy' :cool: :pac:

Good to see its working out for some people on this going on their 3rd and 4th dates! :)

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    Well did he say something positive or negative about your looks?If it was positive I say he was just trying to be nice and compliment you.

Yes, it was positive. It was just a little over the top.
    Itwasntme. wrote: »
    I don't think I would say bad but I feel that it's one of those things that is a double standard since the other person's looks play a role (to some extent) in how we relate or don't relate to them.

I am a little put off when someone says something about how I look before we even talk but since I have done it before as well (maybe not as directly as some of the ones I've got) but done it all the same, I try to give them another chance and see if we have something in common.

That said, I am also the girl that's a little paranoid about the fact that there are people who consider overweight people an easy target so my reaction might be a little rooted in the paranoia. :D

Ah, I would have prefered a comment about something on my profile I guess. I sound like an idiot now. Pah. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Having moved to OKC, I am trying to be positive by being thankful that there's been a major drop in the

'Hey bbe xxxx' messages. However, I haven't exactly been bowled over with mail!

Yes, it was positive. It was just a little over the top.
    Ah, I would have prefered a comment about something on my profile I guess. I sound like an idiot now. Pah. :o

No you dont sound like an idiot. It can be quite uncomfortable when someone comments on your looks,even If its positive. I've been messaging a guys a few times, and hes told me twice that I am 'stunning'.It makes me feel uncomfortable tbh as I havent met him yet and hes only judging that on a few pictures!It also puts the pressure on to look 'stunning' in reality which aint gonna happen! I think its best to leave the compliments on looks until you meet.

No you dont sound like an idiot. It can be quite uncomfortable when someone comments on your looks,even If its positive. I've been messaging a guys a few times, and hes told me twice that I am 'stunning'.It makes me feel uncomfortable tbh as I havent met him yet and hes only judging that on a few pictures!It also puts the pressure on to look 'stunning' in reality which aint gonna happen! I think its best to leave the compliments on looks until you meet.

Thanks. Yeah, this pretty much sums it up for me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Agreed but would you then write off somebody? What if they were just the over enthusiastic type of person?

Ps: If you're stunning now, :D and fee like you can't keep up the trend IRL, you'll probably just dim to beautiful which is not bad if you ask me. :-P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hmm... I've only refrained from commenting on someone's looks so as not to come across pervy as opposed to inadvertantly putting pressure on them to measure up if it does come to a date.

If that's the concensus between a few of ye there, I'll probably keep that in mind. Or at least a subtle comment of some sort.

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    Agreed but would you then write off somebody? What if they were just the over enthusiastic type of person?

Ah no,wouldn't write a guy off for that.I say hes just a bit over enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

2 girls I really liked deleted their profiles :o

And meanwhile I seem to be getting random views and messages from girls in Asia :S

As well as a few African Americans. All still living in their own countries like.

The hell?

Also, regarding commenting on girls good looks. I presume telling someone they are very pretty is a massive no no. I would never mail someone on their looks but might mention it as part of a larger mail.

I don't think I'll do it again though.

KTRIC wrote: »
    In its entirity I think the online dating is completely unbalanced. Its demeaning

I mostly agree. I'm starting to regret ever trying it out.

Sure I always tell you how sexy you are, Larianne :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was just about to say that you have to take this internet dating thing with a pinch of salt and not get too bothered if someone chooses not to reply to you......when I get this totally insulting mail from a guy! Im raging! And of course the coward has blocked me! You should see the drivel on his profile about himself! Like he's totally insulted me based on one photo of myself....I wonder does he feel better for it!

Anyway...I was about to say to those of you wondering about people not viewing their profiles....I know on maybefriends.com... there's a setting where you can hide who you view. So sometimes I receive a mail from someone and it looks like they've never viewed me, but Id say they just have that setting on. Maybe it's the same for you???

Ah, but I know you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Ah, but I know you.

3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

still lurking around this thread. Seems to be a few success stories lately. I'm hoping to add to it :D Moving on for date 7 so have my hopes up at this stage. Fingers crossed they don't get dashed :eek:

It's just a bit too forward, too early on!

ladylost wrote: »
    still lurking around this thread. Seems to be a few success stories lately. I'm hoping to add to it :D Moving on for date 7 so have my hopes up at this stage. Fingers crossed they don't get dashed :eek:

You're still counting??

That's great! :D

• Advertisement

I just read this on one girls profile 9was checking out the competition!)

'I'm one of those once in a lifetime girls, I'll only give you one chance so don't message me anything I don't want to read. The simple things in life entertain me, but the simple people bore me.'

......... I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

'I'm one of those once in a lifetime girls, I'll only give you one chance so don't message me anything I don't want to read. The simple things in life entertain me, but the simple people bore me.'

I rest my case, m'lord :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

ladylost wrote: »

Date 7, that's a proposal, right? :D Enjoy.

Yeah, good few positive stories here lately, good to see! :)

Glad some people are happy [/bitterness] :pac:

I kid, I've been talking to a really cute lady over the last week or two, she seems really funny and cool, so hopefully something might happen. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

Would you say an 18 year old girl is to young for a 25 year old guy? I'm a young looking 25 yo guy but been getting messages from a nice 18(going on 19) year old but the age difference is on my mind when i think of it so not really putting anything into it right now.

What do you people think? Should i steer clear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

finipops wrote: »
    Would you say an 18 year old girl is to young for a 25 year old guy? I'm a young looking 25 yo guy but been getting messages from a nice 18(going on 19) year old but the age difference is on my mind when i think of it so not really putting anything into it right now.

F*ck no, get stuck in ya good thing ;)

Hmm..well if you are both getting on well and have similar interests, I don't really see the problem. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I just read this on one girls profile 9was checking out the competition!)

Breath-taking arrogance, I'm almost envious!

hollypink wrote: »
    Breath-taking arrogance, I'm almost envious!

I couldn't believe my eyes! Maybe I'm too nice a girl, that could be where I'm going wrong, i should just be a B*itch!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

KTRIC wrote: »
    I rest my case, m'lord :rolleyes:

And she'll probably be still online 2 years from now towing the same line and wondering why she hasn't found 'the one'.
    You just need to avoid/ignore people like that and try find the good ones (this applies to online and IRL).
    If you focus on the negatives you'll just end up depressing yourself (been there, done that, don't wanna go there again!).
    Better off without such people in your life anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Well half your age plus 7 is the offical law of the internet, but who listins to the internet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement