Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I just read this on one girls profile 9was checking out the competition!)

'I'm one of those once in a lifetime girls, I'll only give you one chance so don't message me anything I don't want to read. The simple things in life entertain me, but the simple people bore me.'

......... I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Maybe she's taking the piss?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Larianne wrote: »
    Maybe she's taking the piss?? :pac:

Ah now her whole profile seems a bit stand offish.. or maybe other profiles are like that and I'm the odd one out! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I couldn't believe my eyes! Maybe I'm too nice a girl, that could be where I'm going wrong, i should just be a B*itch!

Don't you dare! :eek:

Some guys may like the challenge?:pac:

Galvasean wrote: »
    Don't you dare! :eek:

I could open with

'Ok right; This is what I'm looking for _______ and _____ etc. If you do not fit the description, GTFO!'

I joke, I joke.

• Advertisement

Dare ya! :)

Dare ya! :)

Well as was said, maybe some males like a challenge?

It could work brilliantly!

Because frankly, I can't disimprove on the interest front any further anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Ive noticed a signifigant number of profiles say "must be willing to say we met somewhere else" so I guess a certin stigma is still attached to onlinne dating.

I know I use the "Met them a gig" line when my friends ask me how I met someone, not that im embarrased about it more than im worried they would contact me online with fake profiles to take the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

watch all the lads doing well on here lately! hope its got nothing to do with the approaching valentines day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

finipops wrote: »
    Would you say an 18 year old girl is to young for a 25 year old guy?

Better not be!!
    zuroph wrote: »
    watch all the lads doing well on here lately! hope its got nothing to do with the approaching valentines day ;)

Better not be!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

finipops wrote: »
    Would you say an 18 year old girl is to young for a 25 year old guy? I'm a young looking 25 yo guy but been getting messages from a nice 18(going on 19) year old but the age difference is on my mind when i think of it so not really putting anything into it right now.

What do you people think? Should i steer clear?

18 going on 19 is not too young. Go for it. Age very often has nothing to do with maturity. :-) Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

Ive noticed a signifigant number of profiles say "must be willing to say we met somewhere else" so I guess a certin stigma is still attached to onlinne dating.

I know I use the "Met them a gig" line when my friends ask me how I met someone, not that im embarrased about it more than im worried they would contact me online with fake profiles to take the piss.

Always find that a bit weird I remember the last guy I went on a date with asked me about that before we had even met. Told him honestly that I probably wouldnt have problem with it since I know a few a people doing it now aswell. Told me than he wouldnt be so comfortable doing that :rolleyes: shouldnt have even bothered with him.

Actually tonight got chatting to a guy who just joined pof who was asking me why I was on it 'as I could easily just pick any guy in coppers as I was hot', my response 'Nah not really into being molested on the dance floor thanks' :P
    He also asked me did I feel safe going on the dates as 'you wouldnt know what kind of freaks are on this'. Seriously got me thinking theres still alot of people out there who just dont get it and see it as a place for 'desperate' people who cant get a date in the real world :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Wow so many success stories since I deleted my account, must say a lot about me! :P the men of Cork must feel safe that i've deleted! :p have a 'real life ' date in the pipeline for this week, hopefully it'll go good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've seen Coppers mentioned a fair few times along the lines of that. Who'd even want to admit they met someone in Coppers?

One thing I find odd about any women I've messaged a few times is when they ask "So how are you finding the site?" I er... click on the link in my e-mail notifications... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Busy Lizzie

Hey Ive been lurking around here for a while now...put up a post last night but it disappeared!

"One thing I find odd about any women I've messaged a few times is when they ask "So how are you finding the site?" I er... click on the link in my e-mail notifications... pacman.gif "

Yes I get this all the time too! Like as a first mail...what are you supposed to say?? I've loads on my profile so it's not as if they couldn't pick something from that to chat about. Another thing I dislike is that a lot of guys seem to only want to chat while you're online, rather than mailing back and forth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yes I get this all the time too! Like as a first mail...what are you supposed to say?? I've loads on my profile so it's not as if they couldn't pick something from that to chat about. Another thing I dislike is that a lot of guys seem to only want to chat while you're online, rather than mailing back and forth.

Aye, I always try to bring up something mentioned on their profile or headline. Have never really been too bothered about the chat thing myself at all either, but I suppose that'd be a preference thing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The IM function on PoF is feckin horrible so I never use it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Is it bad being turned off by someone commenting on my looks in the second mail they sent? :cool:

Second mail? You are slacking off, I got told in a first mail that I am a "sexy nerd". :cool:

funny-cartoon-gifs-im-sexy-and-i-know-it.gif

Only a few friends know I'm using it. I know my college friends would look at me a bit funny if I told them. I prefer it that way though as you'd just have people asking you how you were getting on all the time.
    zuroph wrote: »

Oh man, I hope not.
    Maguined wrote: »
    Second mail? You are slacking off, I got told in a first mail that I am a "sexy nerd". :cool:

I know! Think its time to bring out the photo with glasses. I wanna be a sexy nerd!!!! :cool: :pac:

A few people know I use online dating. Think if I meet someone from there, I'm just going to be honest and say. They can say whatever they want, but I'll be honest.

Is it wrong to be put off by someone when their profiles are pretty well written, but when you mail them you get a reply that's pretty much entirely txt speak?

• Advertisement

Is it wrong to be put off by someone when their profiles are pretty well written, but when you mail them you get a reply that's pretty much entirely txt speak?

Chances are she could be responding on her phone. Thats what I noticed whenever women I was messaging went to txt spk.

Then again its never really been something that's bothered me anyway. I tend to be more along the lines of whats being said as opposed to how its being said.

No, I don't think so. Txtspk gives me an awful headache. Just say jokingly that you're not good on the txtspk and they might take the hint and write properly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

A couple of people have asked me where I met the guy I've on a few dates with, and I told them straight out that it was online and so far reactions have been positive. I'm a terrible liar so wouldn't have been able to get away with making up some back story!!

I told my close friends before Christmas that I was planning to sign up for it in the New Year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I've seen Coppers mentioned a fair few times along the lines of that. Who'd even want to admit they met someone in Coppers?

One thing I find odd about any women I've messaged a few times is when they ask "So how are you finding the site?" I er... click on the link in my e-mail notifications... :pac:

After I messaged someone recently, someone asked me in their reply how I was finding the site. I decided to be honest and I said it's a bit like a cattle market full of txt speak but very occasionally I pluck up the courage to send a message to someone who has put a lot of thought into their description and seems to have similar interests and a similar outlook.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

Oh my, I logged onto PoF, 3 messages from the same guy,
    1- Do you want to have my babies?
    2- whats wrong with you anyways that you are on this?
    3- stuck up cow, dont bother replying so

As I read this a chat request popped up from him, I declined 2 mins later another mail - so how are you today?

This has to be a messer but why exactly would they bother? I dont get it, they must have very sad little lives if thats how they get their kicks!

• Administrators Posts: 53,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

After I messaged someone recently, someone asked me in their reply how I was finding the site. I decided to be honest and I said it's a bit like a cattle market full of txt speak but very occasionally I pluck up the courage to send a message to someone who has put a lot of thought into their description and seems to have similar interests and a similar outlook.....

Yeah, quite a lot of that. I tend to be of the mindset that, if I'm messaging someone, "not too successful yet," would be how I'm obviously finding a dating site to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

careymary wrote: »

As I read this a chat request popped up from him, I declined 2 mins later another mail - so how are you today?

This has to be a messer but why exactly would they bother? I dont get it, they must have very sad little lives if thats how they get their kicks!

I burst out laughing when I read this. Some guy sent me an email that said, I had decent sized breasts and he was sure he could put a smile on my face. Maybe I'm strange but I find emails like these extremely entertaining. I mean, the level of loony just keeps getting better and better. :D It's like a really bad movie you can't stop watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    careymary wrote: »

I burst out laughing when I read this. Some guy sent me an email that said, I had decent sized breasts and he was sure he could put a smile on my face. Maybe I'm strange but I find emails like these extremely entertaining. I mean, the level of loony just keeps getting better and better. :D It's like a really bad movie you can't stop watching.

Sometimes I think about collecting some of the mails I have either heard about or seen and getting them published, the only problem is where would you stop, you wouldnt get away with one book, theres enough material for countless follow up books!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Overheard on Plenty Of Fish?

I would buy that.

I like how he chose to comment on the breasts without being definitely complimentary "decent sized", that's what every girl wants to hear, "you are not impressive but are above average" queue ladies swooning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement