Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Ooooohhhh that sounds like a deadly idea!!!! I think I might just do that ...although I have to be honest I don't like sending messages to guys first...I dont want that to sound really bad ...but its kinda true .... I am just going to apply for the next series of Take Me Out ..its the only solution :P

UGH dont do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ooooohhhh that sounds like a deadly idea!!!! I think I might just do that ...although I have to be honest I don't like sending messages to guys first...I dont want that to sound really bad ...but its kinda true .... I am just going to apply for the next series of Take Me Out ..its the only solution :P

Why not? I think that's a much better option than Take Me Out. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Larianne wrote: »
    Why not? I think that's a much better option than Take Me Out. :eek:

i meant DONT apply to take me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 KateMiddleton

Hence the patience and persistence. Plenty of people on this thread have had .. dry spells ... only to suddenly strike it lucky with someone who feels lucky too. Try not to let it affect your confidence - it's not as if the other men are inundated with replies and offers! What you're experiencing is the norm. I think you should definitely check out the free sites. You've nothing to lose, and a couple of the fellas here got talking to overseas girls on ok cupid I think in particular.

Good luck!

I agree give it a chance plentyoffish is rubbish although I did meet a guy there who was pretty cool and we dated for a couple of months in the summer. He was literally the only remotely sane person who contacted me although I only have one fairly fuzzy pic up so I didn't get that many contacts. I'm now living abroad and used a foreign dating site which was great much fewer nutters and went on the most incredible date last weekend which i defo hope a relationship will come out of. So I guess i've been pretty lucky in that i've only ever had two internet dates and they've both been great. I think put lots of info up on your profile and not too many pics. Maybe put up a pic of yourself doing something fun rather than just your face I prefer pics of people doing sports or looking like they are having craic rather than just posing. Also i say on my profile i'm looking for something serious I think it puts off players. Well mostly I do get a few mails about guys in open relationships

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

I agree give it a chance plentyoffish is rubbish although I did meet a guy there who was pretty cool and we dated for a couple of months in the summer. He was literally the only remotely sane person who contacted me although I only have one fairly fuzzy pic up so I didn't get that many contacts. I'm now living abroad and used a foreign dating site which was great much fewer nutters and went on the most incredible date last weekend which i defo hope a relationship will come out of. So I guess i've been pretty lucky in that i've only ever had two internet dates and they've both been great. I think put lots of info up on your profile and not too many pics. Maybe put up a pic of yourself doing something fun rather than just your face I prefer pics of people doing sports or looking like they are having craic rather than just posing. Also i say on my profile i'm looking for something serious I think it puts off players. Well mostly I do get a few mails about guys in open relationships

What does Wills think of this?? :pac:

Ah no, seriously though, good that you've had positive internet dates!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Got a reply to a message I sent to someone.

Said that I wasnt their type but wished me luck

I had the same the other day. I'm starting to think there aren't any my type on either site.

I've been turned down based on my music tastes a couple of times now. I'm not prepared to start changing who I am though just for a date.

KTRIC wrote: »
    I had the same the other day. I'm starting to think there aren't any my type on either site.

I've been turned down based on my music tastes a couple of times now. I'm not prepared to start changing who I am though just for a date.

Maybe you need to add more info to your profile, so they see your taste in music isn't the only thing about you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MariaxD

I said doesn't bother thats what I like fudge them!!:) my best friends nd I completely like different music,different guys even different movies yet we manage to gel so well:D lol a difference of music taste doesnt change u it makes u who u r:D glad to say ive not had that prob yet:/ xD

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hence the patience and persistence. Plenty of people on this thread have had .. dry spells ... only to suddenly strike it lucky with someone who feels lucky too. Try not to let it affect your confidence - it's not as if the other men are inundated with replies and offers! What you're experiencing is the norm. I think you should definitely check out the free sites. You've nothing to lose, and a couple of the fellas here got talking to overseas girls on ok cupid I think in particular.

Good luck!

Okay, patience and persistence it is :) I've actually joined OKC & POF this afternoon because like you say I've got nothing to lose. I really liked OKC and I instantly had several people checking out my profile which is a good start (small steps and all that) but on the opposite scale of things I really didn't like POF at all. In my opinion the layout is tacky and cheap and it just feels like what Coppers would be if it was an online dating site. Plus it wouldn't let me upload my photos either for some reason.

So it looks like match.com & OKC are the way to go for now. Thanks again for your helpful advice, it was very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 KateMiddleton

mood wrote: »
    Otis do you like your beard? Have you it now? I'm female a hate a beard. I think most women prefer a beardless guy.

Ah but not everyone I absolutely LOVE beards. One of the few things I miss about my ex actually. Am always disappointed when guys don't have beards or glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I'm a 34 year old male that has been single for nearly 4 years. I'm sick to death of the pub scene and most of my mates are in relationships so I decided to bite the bullet and do something about my situation.

I recently joined match.com as it was recommended to me by a co-worker. They said that the paying sites had a much better success rate as the clientèle were serious about wanting to meet someone and are not just looking for an ego boost or a cheap thrill that is allegedly quite common on free sites.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I've been a member for 3 weeks now and have 120 profile views, 10 winks and 0 messages. My plan was to sign up for free to feel it out then pay the monthly subscription after a month but I'm not so sure now. I've put up a load of pictures and wrote a positive yet honest description of myself but nobody seems bothered to message me.

It is a case where guys do all the chasing like it is 'in real life' or what? I'm just abit concerned and don't want to sign up for this if it's going to be a complete waste of time. Plus some of the profiles on it are very off putting and have a list of demands that need to be met ie: must be over 6 foot tall (this from a girl who was 5'2), will ignore message with no photos, must make x amount of money, etc, etc.

Lastly, is match.com actually any good or are there better dating sites out there?

Yes internet dating is like real life (guys make the first move etc). I don't know why you would think it would be different! Ignoring people with no photo is fair enough I think. If someone can see me it only fair I can see them (and avoid married men etc). Also, you said some women 'winked' at you... that sounds like them making the first move so what are you complaining about?

I really don't understand this fear of not making the first move? (guys and girls) :confused: If anything it should be easier as its online!

I think this 'winking' stuff is a load of crap. Message the person if you want to contact them.

Maybe I'm just too straightforward?

Maybe you need to add more info to your profile, so they see your taste in music isn't the only thing about you?

Give me some credit, of course it has. :rolleyes:

Give me some credit, of course it has. :rolleyes:

I just don't understand then why someone would dismiss a person because of their taste in music?

I just don't understand then why someone would dismiss a person because of their taste in music?

Neither would then I did a search on OKC and found quite a few women who made a point of saying they don't like / hate a certain type of music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Neither would then I did a search on OKC and found quite a few women who made a point of saying they don't like / hate a certain type of music.
    You must be a metaller,I feel your pain brother!

Yup, how'd ya guess :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Add another to that club.

Although if I read a profile and it goes something along the lines of "I like al sorts of music but hate metal" I admit I'm not likely to message that person as the chances of them not replying is higher.

Odd justification I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Aww don't talk to me, I can't get over how few wimminz listen to Indian folk metal music...:(:pac:
    Yer wan never replied to my message, ara feck it anyways.

Read that first as mentaller. :D

I guess some people would have a preconception of metallers. Then again, if gig going is a big part of a person's life, if you're not into the same music it could effect social aspects. Also, where you may want to go drinking might be different. Maybe, I dunno..?

• Advertisement

Read that first as mentaller. :D

Well that too but I'll be damned if I'm putting it in my profile :D

Well that too but I'll be damned if I'm putting it in my profile :D

Ah, go on. What's the harm!

:pac:

But if someone looks like a metailer I can see how that would put a lot of people off.

But if someone looks like a metailer I can see how that would put a lot of people off.

Please enlighten me, what does a metaller look like ?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Please enlighten me, what does a metaller look like ?? :rolleyes:
    Seriously? Long hair, black long coat! I'm listen to metal and see some people like that at gigs! It's not everyone but some...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

At first I didn't get why anyone would dismiss someone because of music taste but it makes a bit more sense if it's metal :o I love all types of music so I do like heavy metal, rock etc.

But if someone is completely not into metal music and they see all these bands listed on someones profile, I can see why it'd be a turn off. People have preconceptions about guys/girls into metal music.

I wouldn't change what you're into just to suit dating but maybe mention some other genres of music you like too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Im a metaller and I have been for well over 20 years.I dont have long hair,I dont have piercings,I dont own a leather jacket,I dont have tattoos,see where Im going with this?

The point I believe that KTRIC is making is that someone that has heavy metal as one their interests is being automatically discounted by some people based solely on this fact.

Fine if the one person doesnt find the other person attractive physically but to be written off just because you happen to listen to metal (or any type of music genre for that matter) is the crux of the issue.

Im a metaller and I have been for well over 20 years.I dont have long hair,I dont have piercings,I dont own a leather jacket,I dont have tattoos,see where Im going with this?

The point I believe that KTRIC is making is that someone that has heavy metal as one their interests is being automatically discounted by some people based solely on this fact.

Fine if the one person doesnt find the other person attractive physically but to be written off just because you happen to listen to metal (or any type of music genre for that matter) is the crux of the issue.

I know most metal fans wouldn't have long hair, piercings and wear long leather coats. But a minority would and I think that that would put some people off them (ie there look rather than their taste in music).

I agree totally Otis, I wouldn't dismiss on someone's interest, but I would on looks as I'm a shallow yoke :pac:

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »
    Aww don't talk to me, I can't get over how few wimminz listen to Indian folk metal music...:(:pac:
    Yer wan never replied to my message, ara feck it anyways.
    Dude if that's the music you listen to you're doomed :p :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement