Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

mood wrote: »
    I know most metal fans wouldn't have long hair, piercings and wear long leather coats. But a minority would and I think that that would put some people off them (ie there look rather than their taste in music).

The point he was making is that some people are put off solely because he listens to metal,not that he looks like a metaller.Obviously from an aesthetic pov the stereotypical "metaller" look isnt for everyone but writing someone off just because they listen to metal is what the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes internet dating is like real life (guys make the first move etc). I don't know why you would think it would be different! Ignoring people with no photo is fair enough I think. If someone can see me it only fair I can see them (and avoid married men etc). Also, you said some women 'winked' at you... that sounds like them making the first move so what are you complaining about?

I had a long winded answer for this but Larianne summed it up perfectly below
    Larianne wrote: »
    I really don't understand this fear of not making the first move? (guys and girls) :confused: If anything it should be easier as its online!

I think this 'winking' stuff is a load of crap. Message the person if you want to contact them.

Maybe I'm just too straightforward?

MrNiceGuyEddie I feel your pain. Totally know where you are coming from.

I did get a couple of girls message me in my first few days on OKC though which surprised me. None were anywhere near my type or compatible unfortunately. A girl I really liked and messaged weeks ago who never replied to me, sent me a reply there a few days ago.

I felt pretty ****ty back when I first messaged her that she didn't reply. Hid her profile etc to try not to have it get me down. So I was gobsmacked to get a reply 2 weeks later. (its not like she had been offline)

It made my day. Sent her a message back... and nothing. :( I don't really get it. I can only presume she messaged out of pity, just to be nice. Ah well..

POF is a horrible place. Really wish there was more people on OKC.

Is match.com really any use? Not sure about paying for a dating site...

Whats this plentymorefish site like? Does anyone use it? Opinions?

This online dating thing is tough though. Still seems to suit those who would be the type that'd meet people in bars and clubs anyway. I'm no aggressive alpha male, I guess guys like me will always find it impossible romantically no matter what the environment.

Okcupid e-mailed me to say I'm among the most attractive of their users or some such bollocks. Based on quiver or quick match ratings or some crap? Do people actually use that? I used the rating as a kinda 'add to favs' feature of someone whos profile I liked and wanted to message. :S

Possible date lined up for next week. From OKCupid, surprisingly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 teaspach

Possible date lined up for next week. From OKCupid, surprisingly enough.

Good for you.. I'm on POF and I have sent loads of messages to all sorts of women.. got a few 'yeah thanks' back, and that was it. I think it's like Cafe En Seine online, or something.. Everyone says they are looking for a down to earth, genuine guy with a sense of humour. That's only half the story though, he also has to look like George Clooney. Interested in what it's like for wimmin?

• Advertisement

teaspach wrote: »
    That's only half the story though, he also has to look like George Clooney. Interested in what it's like for wimmin?

Well I imagine its a total different story. From what I can tell, if you are even a slightly attractive female you are general just logging on to browse through all the mail that was sent to you the day before looking for one that stands out. Rinse and repeat.

It must be one hell of an ego boost for a lot of women on these sites.

I can't help but wonder if on average between couples meeting outside of net dating and those not, if there is a big difference in the % of couples where the male is far more attractive than the female. I get the feeling there would be. As women would be getting so many messages , I wonder how many guys go for women far less attractive than they are just to compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Well I imagine its a total different story. From what I can tell, if you are even a slightly attractive female you are general just logging on to browse through all the mail that was sent to you the day before looking for one that stands out. Rinse and repeat.

I can't help but wonder if on average between couples meeting outside of net dating and those not, if there is a big difference in the % of couples where the male is far more attractive than the female. I get the feeling there would be. As women would be getting so many messages , I wonder how many guys go for women far less attractive than they are just to compete.

For me if I find them attractive I find them attractive, not like I'd go for someone who I sort of fancied just to have a chance. Maybe that's why I have difficulty with this online dating craic, I have a certain type and not sure if I'll get one though as the type I like is probably out of my league :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Ah but not everyone I absolutely LOVE beards. One of the few things I miss about my ex actually. Am always disappointed when guys don't have beards or glasses.

I've got a goatee! :D;)

teaspach wrote: »
    Good for you.. I'm on POF and I have sent loads of messages to all sorts of women.. got a few 'yeah thanks' back, and that was it. I think it's like Cafe En Seine online, or something.. Everyone says they are looking for a down to earth, genuine guy with a sense of humour. That's only half the story though, he also has to look like George Clooney. Interested in what it's like for wimmin?

Completely agree. I think women on these sites have a vision that ALL the men look like Clooney, only to be disappointed when it turns out to be different.

Take your head out of the clouds ladies. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I had a long winded answer for this but Larianne summed it up perfectly below

But 10 girls contacted you! That is doing well IMO. Have you sent them emails?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

As a female I did agree. No all women are attention seeking and online for an ego boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Lads, not all ladies are like that. You might get that impression if you haven't be getting many replies of late. Don't diss us all. :cool:

Also, George Clooney is too handsome for me! :D

Psssshhhh,you are too hot for George Clooney,

Lads, not all ladies are like that. You might get that impression if you haven't be getting many replies of late. Don't diss us all. :cool:

That rules me out too then!! :D;):p

Pah, you drunk?! :pac: I meant I don't go for typically good looking guys like the Georges or the Brads. Gimme a cute guy with glasses. :D

I concur.

Pah, you drunk?! :pac: I meant I don't go for typically good looking guys like the Georges or the Brads. Gimme a cute guy with glasses. :D

Not drunk.

I have been hitting the crack pipe pretty hard though.

:pac:

Not drunk.

I have been hitting the crack pipe pretty hard though.

Knew it!

My point is that not all women are after this stereotypical hunky man.

You're not going to be attracted to everyone you meet/encounter. Same way as you aren't you are not going to be attractive to others.

Am sending some messages via POF, but getting no replies :-(

I'm pretty new to this online dating lark. Can someone please pm me and tell me what I'm doing wrong????

Knew it!

My point is that not all women are after this stereotypical hunky man.

You're not going to be attracted to everyone you meet/encounter. Same way as you aren't you are not going to be attractive to others.

Women?

Id feckin ride George Clooney after a couple of beers!

• Advertisement

Am sending some messages via POF, but getting no replies :-(

I'm pretty new to this online dating lark. Can someone please pm me and tell me what I'm doing wrong????

Nobody can tell you where you are going wrong man,its like asking how long is a piece of string.Some people will respond,some wont.Its essentially a numbers game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Nobody can tell you where you are going wrong man,its like asking how long is a piece of string.Some people will respond,some wont.Its essentially a numbers game.

Exactly. I send loads of message too and dont get a response, so they obviously arent attracted to me or im not their type. Same as when people message me and i dont find them attractive or my type.

So, basically it's a case of carry on trying??

Its internet dating not instant dating. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I'm beginning to mentally block out the word dating......It's just internet, and more internet for me!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Well said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

I'm beginning to mentally block out the word dating......It's just internet, and more internet for me!

:(

Funniest thing I've heard in a while. :D:D

Thanks for the laugh.

As a female I did agree. No all women are attention seeking and online for an ego boost.

Just to be clear; I was only speaking in general terms as a reply to a general question. No way in hell would I assume or state that all women were like this. I was only speaking generally and only making an assumption from my own experience and what I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

Ok well i decided it was time to dip my toe back into POF water and inspired by all the comments here about how girls should make contact I did exactly that,
    I wrote a long message quite witty ( if I do say so myself) and very linked to his profile, got back a "wow thanks for your well thought out message, have you a pic" message, seriously after all my effort another line or two wouldnt have killed him!
    I dont mind asking for a pic, my profile says i have private pics, i totally get that, its just the whole message,to me, stank of couldnt be bothered replying til I see if its worth my while, if somebody had obviously taken time and effort to mail me, well damn it i reckon they deserve a proper reply!
    Am thinking maybe I am done with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 KateMiddleton

Hey! I posted this in the wrong section earlier and now that it's moved it's seem to have gotten lost a few pages back.

Anyway any advice that anyone can pass on to me would be very much appreciated as I'm a total novice to online dating and in all honestly I'm feeling abit delusional about it already.

Thanks!

I can have a look at your profile if you like I've had pretty good success with internet dating.

I totally agree with Larianne too I'm totally into skinny nerds with glasses. I have a policy of never replying to the topless photo buff types

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement