Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

You know those people who send messages like "hey, you look really like *insert random famewhore here* type stuff? I just got this...

WHO THE HELL IS AISLING?

:confused: :pac:

Aisling is the Irish for dream....maybe he was saying you are like a dream :p

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

You know those people who send messages like "hey, you look really like *insert random famewhore here* type stuff? I just got this...

WHO THE HELL IS AISLING?

:confused: :pac:

lol......you obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Pembily wrote: »
    But why ask her did she fall? It's quite negative IMO. I am clumsy and don't like comments made on falling. It would p!ss me right off.

It's simple a conversation starter and some people might find it funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Oh he just replied, apparently she's his friend from Donegal. At least I think that's what he means, because his typing reads like he's been disemvowelled. :pac:
    Why I needed to know this is beyond me....
    Aisling is the Irish for dream....maybe he was saying you are like a dream :p

He'd be getting a nightmare from me if he kept calling me by another girls name, not a dream! :pac:
    dub5 wrote: »
    lol......you obviously

*checks nametag*

Nope that's not me, strike one! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

Oh he just replied, apparently she's his friend from Donegal. At least I think that's what he means, because his typing reads like he's been disemvowelled. :pac:

Ah, Aisling from Donegal......all become clearer now

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Not to mention the many NSA specific sites out there.
    What is annoying is that lads looking for NSA on dating sites know the majority of women on them have messages from guys looking for NSA blocked, so they lie about their intentions. This in turn makes women (understandably) more cautious/skeptical of the intentions of all men messaging them on dating sites - which sucks for everyone involved.

If we knew the name of a NSA site we could simply forward it to guys who are looking for that on regular dating sites. It would clean them up for us all.

G-Money wrote: »
    So good news and bad news on the dating front for me. Bad news is that I met a girl off the net, had the 3rd date with her last night and she told me at the end that she didn't think there was anything romantic there. A tiny bit surprised but not massively at the same time. My only gripe being that I wish she had just text or called earlier in the week to say that, rather than telling me at the end of dinner. I wouldn't have went through with the 3rd date had I known that.

She may not have made her mind up until the 3rd date.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

And it has also caused me to instigate a new rule - "No going for dinner if there's a chance they're going to axe things at the end".

My new rule is sending this message... "I am going to ask to see your ID on the first date. If you have an issue with that I suggest you cancel now."

I need to know that the guy I am meeting is the guy he says he is (or he knows very good document forgers!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

5 months in with my POF gf. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

LoTwan wrote: »
    My new rule is sending this message... "I am going to ask to see your ID on the first date. If you have an issue with that I suggest you cancel now."

I need to know that the guy I am meeting is the guy he says he is (or he knows very good document forgers!)

Really?? That's not good. I'm guessing you've been messed around before but if someone said that to me I'd be put off meeting up with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Quick question. What would ye say about adding something like this to the end of my "about me"

PS: Not one for cheesy chat up lines, but, what do you call a fat penguin? Answers on a postcard please :P

Like to get girls to reply by asking for the answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I did a test on OKC, "What is your personality defect?"
    I got 'The Smartass'.
    "You are 100% logical, very narcissistic and hard to get on with."

No arguments here. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

mood wrote: »
    Pembily wrote: »
    But why ask her did she fall? It's quite negative IMO. I am clumsy and don't like comments made on falling. It would p!ss me right off.

It's simple a conversation starter and some people might find it funny!
    Some people will and some won't. I was simply saying it would p!ss me off... I get that the sender wouldn't know that but that's why online dating is the way it is, it's very subjective!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Larianne wrote: »
    Really?? That's not good. I'm guessing you've been messed around before but if someone said that to me I'd be put off meeting up with them.

Not that extreme but yeah, I need some proof of life on the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FC1988

He'd be getting a nightmare from me if he kept calling me by another girls name, not a dream! :pac:

*checks nametag*

Nope that's not me, strike one! :p

omg lol, I think I found kamikazekitten :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

Quick question. What would ye say about adding something like this to the end of my "about me"

PS: Not one for cheesy chat up lines, but, what do you call a fat penguin? Answers on a postcard please :P

Like to get girls to reply by asking for the answer?
    I like this kind of thing when Im looking through guys profiles. If I liked what I read and saw ye I'd want to know 'what do you call a fat penguin' :D I think there's girls on it who probably don't make first contact maybe because they don't know what to say. This is an easy way of starting up a conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

POF is gone mad. It thinks I live in Belfast :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

One other gripe. Girls who give you their number then don't reply to calls or texts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

One other gripe. Girls who give you their number then don't reply to calls or texts.

Ahh but did they give you the correct number in the first place?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

A girl told me once she never gives the right number unless she's really interested. It took me a few hours and many pints to get that statement, but in the end she also gave me the number of a farmer from NewtonCashel, co. Longford called Gerald..:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

FC1988 wrote: »
    omg lol, I think I found kamikazekitten :eek:

...no WAY. :eek:
    Galvasean wrote: »
    POF is gone mad. It thinks I live in Belfast :confused:

It thought I was in Sweden a while back..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Date went well last night. Went to the Grand Central and had a few drinks whilst playing Connect 4. :pac:

Few laughs and no awkward silences. Was like meeting up with a friend I've known for years... except it was a friend whose hand I'd like to hold.... amongst other things. :pac:

Was her birthday on Monday and when she went to the toilet I grabbed one of the waiters walking around and borrowed his pen and a piece of paper to make her a shoddy birthday card.

Stick figures ahoy.

Went down a treat and we've a second date soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Well I caved and rejoined pof last week. So far one person messaged me who had put a little effort into his message, the rest were the usual 'hi' or 'hi how ru' so not much has changed there!

After exchanging a few messages with that first guy, we met up on Friday night and had a really nice date :) I'm not sure about the chemistry to be honest but I'd like to see him again as I think I'd be a bit more relaxed on a second date.

Does anyone ever get nasty messages out of nowhere? I got one last night that said "it's no surprise ur on this" or something along those lines :( It's from a 21 year old so no idea how he even saw my profile. I know I shouldn't mind but I did a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

hollypink wrote: »
    Does anyone ever get nasty messages out of nowhere? I got one last night that said "it's no surprise ur on this" or something along those lines :( It's from a 21 year old so no idea how he even saw my profile. I know I shouldn't mind but I did a little bit.

What a d1ck!! Report the loser Hollypink :mad: You're gorgeous ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

That_Guy wrote: »
    Date went well last night. Went to the Grand Central and had a few drinks whilst playing Connect 4. :pac:

Few laughs and no awkward silences. Was like meeting up with a friend I've known for years... except it was a friend whose hand I'd like to hold.... amongst other things. :pac:

Was her birthday on Monday and when she went to the toilet I grabbed one of the waiters walking around and borrowed his pen and a piece of paper to make her a shoddy birthday card.

Stick figures ahoy.

Yay! Delighted for you TG

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

Well I caved and rejoined pof last week. So far one person messaged me who had put a little effort into his message, the rest were the usual 'hi' or 'hi how ru' so not much has changed there!

After exchanging a few messages with that first guy, we met up on Friday night and had a really nice date :) I'm not sure about the chemistry to be honest but I'd like to see him again as I think I'd be a bit more relaxed on a second date.

Tell him to go back to his mammy...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Person trying to be hard behind a keyboard. Pathetic really. Block them and move on. Sounds like an utter bell end.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Good for you re the date Hollypink.

Sorry to hear you got a nasty message. No need for that. You definitely report it. The posters on here are right. The more of these nasty and rude messages that are reported hopefully the better the site will be with the genuine people we all actually want to meet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

So following a bit of a bad experience a couple of months back, and realising I actually wasn't that into meeting up with lots of random strangers, I decided to drop any attempts at this online lark. Until about a week ago, when for one reason or another, I decided it was time to give it a "go" again. Before, I would have said I wouldn't have had many views, or messages, or responses. Now, although I'm not exactly overflowing, and it would be fair to say the attraction isn't there in all cases, the opposite is true. Maybe it's the more positive outlook, a different description, or different pictures. Who knows. Either way, I got talking to someone a couple of nights ago. The conversation has been very snappy, light hearted and funny. She is very intelligent and interesting and we have swapped numbers with a view to meeting up next week. I like her. Watch this space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

It thought I was in Sweden a while back..

As long as it doesn't translate the whole page to swedish..:rolleyes:
    That_Guy wrote: »

Stick figures ahoy.

That sounds great! best of luck, mate!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement