Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

finipops wrote: »
    It's a shame when guys have to do most of mailing at first to start things off. I wish more women would send a message first. I can only hope. :p

Us women have a fear of rejection! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

Why though? If there's someone you're interested in,just mail her.

I've only sent out three messages,(I rarely send them first) Sometimes they look and sound to good that i think they could do better so i just don't bother.
    newbee22 wrote: »
    Us women have a fear of rejection! tongue.gif
    As do guys(Me included) which is why i rarely send out messages at first even if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've only sent out three messages,(I rarely send them first) Sometimes they look and sound to good that i think they could do better so i just don't bother.

As do guys(Me included) which is why i rarely send out messages at first even if at all.

Look at it this way, if you dont mail 'em you wont get 'em.
    If you do mail 'em you just might.
    Like buying a lotto ticket really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Prettiest girl in the world just mailed me.

Success

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It's a shame when guys have to do most of mailing at first to start things off. I wish more women would send a message first. I can only hope. :p

I always fire out mails! :confused:
    Prettiest girl in the world just mailed me.

Success

Don't ruin it now! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Larianne wrote: »

Don't ruin it now! :D

Too late.

tumblr_lwta3xVxyU1qkoe37o1_500.gif

What is this national Mail Galvasean hour? Had nada all day, but all of a sudden my POF & OKC mailboxes are filling up!
    Peeps must be getting desperate in time for new years :pac:

Galvasean wrote: »
    What is this national Mail Galvasean hour? Had nada all day, but all of a sudden my POF & OKC mailboxes are filling up!
    Peeps must be getting desperate in time for new years :pac:

Its a Friday night. What else would the crazies be doing? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Well Im sitting alone listening to death metal and drinking so thats one male crazy taken care of.
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Got my auld queen telling me to go out on new years with the lads. I say no. And she says how am I gonna meet a girl. Now that depresses me :pac:

• Advertisement

Traded numbers with a girl I've been chatting to. Date arranged for the new year.

Let's hope this one actually happens! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Samich wrote: »
    Got my auld queen telling me to go out on new years with the lads. I say no. And she says how am I gonna meet a girl. Now that depresses me :pac:

i don't understand this post. Is the queen your mother? Or a homosexual friend?

Sky King wrote: »
    i don't understand this post. Is the queen your mother? Or a homosexual friend?

Mother. :P

Hmm.. maybe don't describe her as that around girls..

Just sayin'. ;)

Your mother is right though. You ain't going to meet anybody at home. I should take a lesson from that also. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Galvasean wrote: »
    I hear ya. I'm in the same boat. Took a bit of time (I say a bit as it only takes 10 minutes to write a good profile) to actually write a bit about me, my occupation, my aspirations, things I like, what I'm looking for.... And yet, only seem to get variations of "How are you?" From people with one sentence profiles.
    Keep waiting, thats what I say. Then, when the time is right... SNAP!

Is that a SNAP as in breaking somebody's leg??

Man, you sound like a nutter!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Chatting to a girl on POF, she's sick at the moment. But wants to meet up when she's recovered. YAY!!

I always fire out mails! confused.gif
    That's one but it's not many.

Hmm.. maybe don't describe her as that around girls..

Just sayin'. ;)

I don't :P It's just the way you say it to sound more manly :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm curious to get some opinions / experiences on this. I've been writing to someone for a little while now, and yeah he's interesting and funny and smart, and kinda seems interested in me, though not any flirting going on from him... I'm kind of not feeling a spark there much anymore. though i feel like we should meet and see how it goes anyway. has anyone ever been in this situation,where there wasn't much of a spark to begin with, but it went well when you met?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I'm curious to get some opinions / experiences on this. I've been writing to someone for a little while now, and yeah he's interesting and funny and smart, and kinda seems interested in me, though not any flirting going on from him... I'm kind of not feeling a spark there much anymore. though i feel like we should meet and see how it goes anyway. has anyone ever been in this situation,where there wasn't much of a spark to begin with, but it went well when you met?

How have you spoken to him? By text only? And what has the topic of conversation been so far? Perhaps he's being polite and doesn't want to dive in. Probably makes sense to see how it goes as you seem to have a number of positive reasons for doing so? I think at times it can be difficult to judge if the conversation is purely electronic. But having said that, if you really aren't sure, you need to do what is right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Haha. Yes, I actually did, and she said yes, although she is feeling a bit ill right now so it will be soon enough when she is feeling a bit better. I was a bit clumsy in my suggestion to meet up but she was lovely about it and what we could do for a 'first date' that would allow for a relaxed conversation etc. It's really nice to talk to her, we seem to have a number of shared interests and she is really down to earth. All in all, I have spoken to a few people, but she is the only one I considered asking to meet up and she has said yes, so I think it is so far so good.....

:)

So we were talking away online through the day and to be honest, we really do seem to have lots of similar interests which is great. She asked about meeting up in a couple of days so that's arranged and we are now continuing the conversation by text. I am now pretending to be perfectly calm and not in the slightest very very very very very very very very very very very very (did I say very?) nervous about meeting up!

:D:eek::D:eek::D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

How have you spoken to him? By text only? And what has the topic of conversation been so far? Perhaps he's being polite and doesn't want to dive in. Probably makes sense to see how it goes as you seem to have a number of positive reasons for doing so? I think at times it can be difficult to judge if the conversation is purely electronic. But having said that, if you really aren't sure, you need to do what is right for you.

By text only, yes. topics have been about lots of things, including Christmas, pets, jobs, every day things etc etc. I would like to hold out and see where it leads, but I would like if there was a clear interest also. I mean if there's no flirting, maybe he feels it's just a friend he's talking with. Maybe I will just meet him and it might be easier to tell if he's interested then. In fact, if he agrees to meet at all it would be an indicator :)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

A lot of the time when people meet up after feeling a spark online, there is no spark offline. So I'm sure the opposite can happen too, in fact it may even be more likely.

You've got everything to gain by meeting, and nothing to lose. But by not meeting you've everything to lose and nothing to gain :)

fat__tony wrote: »
    Is that a SNAP as in breaking somebody's leg??

Man, you sound like a nutter!

nah, like the snapping turtle striking and getting himself a date.
    actually, come to think of it that IS a bit nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Tonight made me realise why I've gone back to online dating, nightlife in Cork-crazy! Don't know who people strike up proper conversations-literally need to shout at people!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Hard to keep the faith with the online dating sometimes.

Sent a few messages today after psyching myself up. No replies so far. Maybe I need to change my profile

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Bear in mind that around this time people could be away/visiting family etc so won't be online to reply :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Id give it a couple of days before writing someone off.As Misti said,it is new years eve after all plus its only one in the afternoon!

• Advertisement

Yeah, its mad busy for a lot of people this time of year. Visiting relations, going to parties, hooking up with strangers...
    Probably not the best time to invest too much hope in the online dating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement