Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i'd imagine there's a gaggle of users that block page after page of messages without doing much checking. you don't have to be visible either afaik. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

ooh got my first 2 POF messages since rejoining! :)

message 1:
    Title: Hey

message 2:
    Title: Hi

Two different users, both messages arrived on the same minute. That's super freaky! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'd go with the person who wrote "Hey" in the subject line. They actually took the time and effort to write that! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

They also put in an apostrophe which made it ever so slightly less incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I've just set up a profile again.......after all my giving out, my life as a singleton isn't all it's cracked up to be, I think I'm mad but maybe this time pof will be successful for me:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Galvasean wrote: »
    What's the story on POF when you send a mail and it doesn't go to your sent outbox? Just sent what I consider to be a very well crafted mail (was actually a little bit proud of it to be perfectly honest). Had a look at the girl's mail settings on her profile and I meet all the criteria. Didn't use any swear words or lewd phrases neither.
    Very unusual. Hope it sent :/

Some criteria isn't published, so you may not meet something shes looking for, HOWEVER; I found a way around it. Send her a gift. Bitches have to accept gifts. (This defo works, trust me) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Yeah, I caved and reactivated in the last week. I've written a fair few mails, and not one reply. Well thought out, funny, hopefully not off putting mails. And there seems to be a huge increase of girls creating absolutely useless profiles either with garbage typed in, or random key strokes. I think there should be an option to report profiles like that TBH!

Maybe it's something on my profile that's putting people off, I dunno. Any girls here care to take a gander and tell me if I'm putting something weird in I shouldn't?

I'll have a look at it for ya!

newbee22 wrote: »
    I'll have a look at it for ya!
    Owen wrote: »
    Yeah, I caved and reactivated in the last week. I've written a fair few mails, and not one reply. Well thought out, funny, hopefully not off putting mails. And there seems to be a huge increase of girls creating absolutely useless profiles either with garbage typed in, or random key strokes. I think there should be an option to report profiles like that TBH!

Maybe it's something on my profile that's putting people off, I dunno. Any girls here care to take a gander and tell me if I'm putting something weird in I shouldn't?

Get a room! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Owen wrote: »

I'll have a look, Im getting nada on there anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

deleted the aul pof profile....... for the good kinda reason

:D:):D:pac::D:)

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I joined POF last night, and have received one message.
    "Hi, how are you?"
    Ara make an effort let ye!

Panthro wrote: »
    "Hi, how are you?"

Is your profile complete enough to help someone formulate a decent message based on it's content?

I just ask because sometimes "Hi, How are you?" Is all anyone can come up with if people have feck all in their profile. But I guess that begs the question, why bother messaging them at all if they don't have it filled out?

Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I've mine pretty well filled out, a few paragraphs on my reasons for joining, interests with movies, books, tv shows, music etc.
    And a paragraph on the "ideal" person who I'd like to see message me.

Basically I took all the info I had up on OKC (provisionally disabled that account!) and pasted it into the POF one!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've mine pretty well filled out, a few paragraphs on my reasons for joining, interests with movies, books, tv shows, music etc.
    And a paragraph on the "ideal" person who I'd like to see message me.

I hear ya. I'm in the same boat. Took a bit of time (I say a bit as it only takes 10 minutes to write a good profile) to actually write a bit about me, my occupation, my aspirations, things I like, what I'm looking for.... And yet, only seem to get variations of "How are you?" From people with one sentence profiles.
    Keep waiting, thats what I say. Then, when the time is right... SNAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

"Hi, how are you?"

I've got those too; I've even replied to some of them and then nothing!! :rolleyes:

Just signed in after joining this morning, I was delighted to see 15 messages, pity 12 of them were 'Hi how are you?':rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

My impression is most people (both male and female) aren't very used to written communication. They say "Hi, how are you?" because that's how they'd kick off a verbal conversation.

That is true I suppose, so hard to reply to those messages though, or maybe I'm just lacking imagination! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

newbee22 wrote: »
    Just signed in after joining this morning, I was delighted to see 15 messages, pity 12 of them were 'Hi how are you?':rolleyes:
    So that still leaves three messages that said something different since you joined so that's good enough.

• Advertisement

Suppose that's a positive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Anyone any dates lined up?

I've given up on all the sites. Joined OKC for a few days but no use.

Don't feel like meeting anyone actually, have gone off the idea since I had the flu last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Ok, I've met the Irish alcoholic, the German control freak, the S&M obsessed Swede and spoke to numerous other nut jobs. Is it something I'm doing that's attracting these weirdos ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Samich wrote: »

Don't feel like meeting anyone actually, have gone off the idea since I had the flu last week.

You can't decide on the basis of a few days. Especially a few days over Christmas.

Have you gone off the idea entirely or is just because you have the flu? Because you know...you are not going to have the flu forever :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

I wish some people would put a bit more effort into their profiles.

Writing, "oh im awful at this type of thing" in half the sections "about me" makes it nigh on impossible to start up any sort of decent conversation!!

Its tough to know what to write in your profile too though. I always judge other people on such small things. Then i look at my own profile and wonder how i come across!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

LaHaine wrote: »
    I wish some people would put a bit more effort into their profiles.

Writing, "oh im awful at this type of thing" in half the sections "about me" makes it nigh on impossible to start up any sort of decent conversation!!

Its tough to know what to write in your profile too though. I always judge other people on such small things. Then i look at my own profile and wonder how i come across!!

I think perhaps I've put too much thought and detail into my profile as it would seem all the girls are undecided over the topic of conversation to start with me.

Any. Day. Now.

:D

You can't decide on the basis of a few days. Especially a few days over Christmas.

Have you gone off the idea entirely or is just because you have the flu? Because you know...you are not going to have the flu forever :P

I have been on them for months and months. No good.

I got the flu and since then I've had no interest. My flu is gone now and still no interest. Feeling nothing.

Can't remember the last time I wouldn't have wanted to meet someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I reactivated my account but am gonna keep a low profile till February...

Its good to see so many people leaving for the right reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Samich wrote: »
    Anyone any dates lined up?

Have my first date from OKC lined up for next week :D
    Stick with it Samich... I've been on OKC for a few weeks now. Lots of chatting to lovely guys but mostly leading to nothing. It does take a while though.

I also met someone in the "real" world who I'm really hoping will text me but we'll see. Been here before with guys who take my number and never use it :confused:

• Advertisement

There was next to no one my age (20) on OKC. Loads of gorgeous older women on them sites though. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement