Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I would be more than happy if there was an option to disable the proximity sensor. I don't mind if that means the screen still being on when in a telephone call - it sure beats not being able to hang up!

Just for your information lads the freepost address and repair service on the Nokia website is no longer active and don't post anything to it or it will get lost!

I contacted the repair company and they've informed me that my phone has not reached them as their freepost repair service is no longer active - though still listed on nokia.ie. Given that the PO box address associated with that repair is no longer active I'm now without a phone and am hoping that it's in An Post's National Returned Letter Centre. In the meantime I went and bought a Sony Xperia T - and although it's a superb phone it's nothing compared to the ease and speed of the Lumia 800.

My recommendation - stay with WP. I know it's annoying that certain apps and browsers aren't available for it but the built in contacts/messaging and calendar systems are far superior.

Maybe I'll get used to it. I don't know. Hopefully I'll get my Lumia back in the meantime. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Thanks for the heads up. Thought I'd have to use it again as my phone had a hard fall yesterday and the sensor slowed down..but thankfully turning it off and on again has it 100% perfect again. I'm hoping it will somehow never give up- 16 months old now- I've seen the 820 and 920 and they're just too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Thanks for the heads up. Thought I'd have to use it again as my phone had a hard fall yesterday and the sensor slowed down..but thankfully turning it off and on again has it 100% perfect again. I'm hoping it will somehow never give up- 16 months old now- I've seen the 820 and 920 and they're just too big.

I wouldn't let size throw you off. Literally anyone I know has said that phones are too big these days and after using them for a week the pros of a large screen outweighs the cons of a big phone.

My mum went from a Lumia to a note 2 and she finds it great now. Never gets off YouTube now lol

I contacted Nokia about the error on the site and they have taken the link down. And, in fairness, they have rectified the situation in a manner that again shows why they're known for fantastic customer service. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

I am waiting for the Lumia 720 to drop in price a bit it seems the ideal replacement for the Lumia 800 size wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I wouldn't let size throw you off. Literally anyone I know has said that phones are too big these days and after using them for a week the pros of a large screen outweighs the cons of a big phone.

My mum went from a Lumia to a note 2 and she finds it great now. Never gets off YouTube now lol

i thought the 920 was a bit to big but now it feels normal and my 800 feels like a toy phone ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Begining to wonder what my next phone should be after the 800. Was really interested in 820/920, but even on work upgrade they seem pricey enough. Needs to be a Vodafone upgrade or non network locked. Would the 520 be a big step down? Are the 820 or 920 expected to take a big price drop anytime soon!?

Would like to stick with Nokia as like their phones and the free maps/directions!

Given that you're accustomed to a good screen I'd recommend the least you get is a 620 - the 520 is a fantastic phone but the screen is nowhere near as bright/colourful as the 800's. The 620 isn't as good but is almost on par in terms of brightness. Function wise the 520 and 620 are buttery smooth. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I dunno, I have little girly hands and when I picked up the 920 to try it out for size I could tell straight away I wouldn't be able to use it one-handed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

I'm getting problems with emails and Vodafone have checked and reckon it's nothing with their end and the IT guy who looks after that stuff for us says it not at his end so it really only leaves the phone as the possible culprit

The emails work fine on PC / laptop

They are erratic and will only send some of the time but I'm not getting any warnings or error messages to say if they did or didn't go.

Also I've got the "cc myself" box ticked but they don't do that any more either

All was working fine up to a few days ago

Do any of you who know about this kind of stuff reckon it could be a phone problem?

Oh and FWIW no settings have been changed on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Garzard

For the past two days now my phone's been having a problem with YouTube - I'll press on a video and it'll then take me to the video again, with ratings, comments and related videos underneath. Then when I press play on the video itself, it'll highlight for a second, but won't play. No matter how many times I press play again it's just doing the same thing. It does this sometimes where it just won't play videos for maybe an hour or so and then randomly go back to normal, but never for this long. It's extremely annoying. Has this happened to anyone else?

Also, another frustrating problem with Youtube on the Lumia is when you press on a video, a notification will come up saying: ''The content owner has not made this video available on mobile. Add to playlist to watch it later on a PC.'' What's with that? :confused: It does this for I'd say about a third of all videos I go into but when I go into the desktop version it'll play it without a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Garzard wrote: »
    For the past two days now my phone's been having a problem with YouTube - I'll press on a video and it'll then take me to the video again, with ratings, comments and related videos underneath. Then when I press play on the video itself, it'll highlight for a second, but won't play. No matter how many times I press play again it's just doing the same thing. It does this sometimes where it just won't play videos for maybe an hour or so and then randomly go back to normal, but never for this long. It's extremely annoying. Has this happened to anyone else?

Also, another frustrating problem with Youtube on the Lumia is when you press on a video, a notification will come up saying: ''The content owner has not made this video available on mobile. Add to playlist to watch it later on a PC.'' What's with that? :confused: It does this for I'd say about a third of all videos I go into but when I go into the desktop version it'll play it without a bother.

Just use metro tube for YouTube. Regardless of the OS or the phone. if the video is not made available on YouTube , nothing you can do about it

Cerbera wrote: »
    I'm getting problems with emails and Vodafone have checked and reckon it's nothing with their end and the IT guy who looks after that stuff for us says it not at his end so it really only leaves the phone as the possible culprit

The emails work fine on PC / laptop

They are erratic and will only send some of the time but I'm not getting any warnings or error messages to say if they did or didn't go.

Also I've got the "cc myself" box ticked but they don't do that any more either

All was working fine up to a few days ago

Do any of you who know about this kind of stuff reckon it could be a phone problem?

Oh and FWIW no settings have been changed on the phone.

It looks like I've got an issue that's somehow connected to the last software update but I'm fu(ked if I can fix it :(

I'm now getting the error code 80072FA8 when I try to check my emails and the Microsoft site says this ...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp7-wppeople/error-code-80072fa8-after-setting-up-pop3-not-live/abec6b05-dbe6-4b12-89e0-561843a98e8b

... and I've done what they suggested here ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484484/en-us#80072FA8

... but still no joy.

:mad:

I'm rapidly getting p!ssed off with this phone and it's getting to the point where I just may try to solve this with a big hammer

:eek:

A smartphone that won't let me send emails is useless to me :mad:

Any suggestions folks (other than a new phone) ?

Anyone know if there's a way to have the screensaver show more than your next calendar item? I recently got my phone connected to work Outlook account so have a synced calendar, but so far it only shows my next entry and it would be handy to see what's coming up for a full day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

On the off chance anyone is in need of a Lumia 800 see my link.
    Price quoted is guide as per rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

How can the notification alerts for birthdays be turned off. I do some night work and have to sleep during the day occasionally, and it is very annoying when the alert go's off at 1.00pm if it's someone's birthday.

Cerbera wrote: »
    It looks like I've got an issue that's somehow connected to the last software update but I'm fu(ked if I can fix it :(

I'm now getting the error code 80072FA8 when I try to check my emails and the Microsoft site says this ...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp7-wppeople/error-code-80072fa8-after-setting-up-pop3-not-live/abec6b05-dbe6-4b12-89e0-561843a98e8b

... and I've done what they suggested here ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484484/en-us#80072FA8

... but still no joy.

:mad:

I'm rapidly getting p!ssed off with this phone and it's getting to the point where I just may try to solve this with a big hammer

:eek:

A smartphone that won't let me send emails is useless to me :mad:

Any suggestions folks (other than a new phone) ?

It's started working again all by itself.

Weird.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

anyone being having the phone just switch off like the battery is dead? iv had it suddenly happen about 4 times since friday evening. there could be plenty of charge on it but it will not switch back on until its put on the charger

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

My lumia 800 is on its last legs id say. Have it charging but the percentage charge is going down instead of up.

• Advertisement

Get the Lumia 620 or the direct size replacement the Lumia 720.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Or an 820 since it isn't that much more expensive than the 620 but much better.

Anyone any thoughts on the HTC 8S in comparison with the Lumia 800? I see it's € 149 on VF at the moment. Think I'm gonna splash out on 1020 when it comes out, but as an inbetween gadget it wouldn't cost much to sell an 800 and get an 8S if there's any/much improvement? That said, I do have a strong like for Nokias!

The HTC 8S is not a bad little phone at all often overlooked. The only weakness I see in it is the battery is poorish with medium usage you will struggle to get through the day with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't have one, but the from what I've read online, the main issue with the HTC 8S, is low onboard storage. Only 4GB. You can't move apps to the SD card like on android. And its full of HTC default apps and such. So theres only about 1.6 GB or so free.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8s/207108-4gb-enough-how-many-apps-can-you-have.html
    http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/reviews/item/16813_HTC_Windows_Phone_8S.php
    http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_windows_phone_8s-5000.php

Even the Lumia 520 has 8GB.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Phone is dead, any ideas on how to start up please?
    Charging for an hour or so. Dead.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Try plugging into the computer for a few minutes and windows might detect it

OR
    Try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZxdgrIXLI4

Yeah, thanks for that. I'm on a Mac but plugged it into my kids PC laptop and it didn't even show up on Control Panel etc........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Planet X wrote: »
    Phone is dead, any ideas on how to start up please?
    Charging for an hour or so. Dead.
    Thanks.

Press and hold all 4 buttons on the right hand side at the same time for about 20 seconds. Worked for me in the past

• Advertisement

Yeah, tried all the various online advice.

Banged off an email to a Nokia Care Centre. Seems a 24 month warranty applies? Anyone use this?

Advertisement