Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

thinking of buying the lumia 800, or else the lumia 520 when it comes out, anyone have any opinions about which one to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

123 LC wrote: »
    thinking of buying the lumia 800, or else the lumia 520 when it comes out, anyone have any opinions about which one to buy?

Get the 800. A high end WP7 is better then a low end WP8.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

DjFlin wrote: »

I was going to say go for the 620. Seems have have gathered fairly decent reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

I used the L800, now use a L620

The 620 may not look as pretty but it is a more powerful and versatile phone. WP8 is also a big improvement over 7.x

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

paulheu wrote: »

The 620 may not look as pretty but it is a more powerful and versatile phone. WP8 is also a big improvement over 7.x

Which network is the 620 available on? Or did you buy from outside Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I was going to say go for the 620. Seems have have gathered fairly decent reviews.

Honestly, the reason I'd recommend the 800 is because its running WP7.

I've been using WP8 for a while now, and I dont think the features it has justifies all the bugs.

Windows Phone 7 may not have the latest features, but at least the features it does have actually work.

Of course, WP8 will get better, there are two minor updates and one major update expected by Christmas. But if you're in it for the long haul, why not splash out on one of the higher end WP8 devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Honestly, the reason I'd recommend the 800 is because its running WP7.

I've been using WP8 for a while now, and I dont think the features it has justifies all the bugs.

Windows Phone 7 may not have the latest features, but at least the features it does have actually work.

Of course, WP8 will get better, there are two minor updates and one major update expected by Christmas. But if you're in it for the long haul, why not splash out on one of the higher end WP8 devices.

i'd love to get a higher end one but my max budget is €300, but even that's a bit high :/ I like the 520, it looks fab and I really only need it for basic internet browsing, texting calling etc, so I think i'll go with it (if it's ever released in Ireland, probably not soon if the 920 and 620 are anything to go by :P)

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Which network is the 620 available on? Or did you buy from outside Ireland?

I never buy on a network as I use the phone in multiple countries with local PAYGO SIM

http://www.phonesonline.ie/nokia-lumia-620-white-sim-free.html

also in black..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

My lumia isn't charging :( So this will be the third time I'll be sending it back. I have 7.8 on it now, should I take 7.8 off to avoid any warranty issues

7.8 is official so don't worry about it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

7.8 is official but make sure it's the version that is tied to your 800 ie. Make sure it's the O2 version of 7.8 on your O2 Lumia, Voda version of 7.8 on Vodafone.

I've seen lads have their handsets returned by Nokia after they spotted that they were flashed with different versions by their owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 red662

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Don't mind at all.:)
    You can usually only send emails through the SMTP server of your ISP (internet provider).
    Being able to add multiple SMTP servers means I can send emails from various locations depending on who I'm connected to the internet with.

For example, the phone would be connected to the internet on my eircom broadband connection in the office so the email accounts need to be set to the Eircom SMTP. When I'm on the road I'd be connected to the internet via the O2 mobile network so the email accounts would need to be configured to send via the O2 SMTP server.
    On the Lumia I'd have to manually go into the settings and change the server settings each time I changed from one internet connection to another.
    On the iPhone I can input multiple servers and the email would be sent through whichever server was available.

I HAVE A LUMINA 800 AND IV NEVER HAD TO CHANGE SERVERS FOR ANY MAIL AND I HAVE VIRTUALLY ADDRESS'S WITH EVERY EXTENSION AVAILABLE FOR FREE. sorry forgot caps was on. anyway yeah in the mail settings u just type ur mail address and password the phone does the rest. only mail program iv had a prob with is yahoo. u need to upgrade, IE: buy into them, to be able to forward or receive mail from other accounts. as for Hotmail Gmail Eircom any other mail program on the Nokia lumina , no problems what so ever. as for the changing servers, sorry mate but thats just not correct. i work in command line and servers programs blah blah. anyway for a phone to ask a end user to have to manually change servers each time is not only incorrect, but where is the 80 year old woman who just gets her mail to her phone and hasn't a clue what a server is. not feasible, not user friendly and just doesn't exist. the mail settings never change. the smtp and pop don't change. you set ur mail account up with the appropriate smtp and pop settings, press enter n thats it. even crossing continents this is the same.
    im sure you meant something different because what your saying doesn't just not apply to the lumina, but it doesnt apply in any form currently on the internet or web based mail, even outlook. same story correct settings. enter test message and its done. the days of NT n windows me are long gone. remember that 80 year old, windows and any other platform has designed it so that a child can make it work, thats the reason its so user friendly, change servers every time lol:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

123 LC wrote: »
    i'd love to get a higher end one but my max budget is €300, but even that's a bit high :/ I like the 520, it looks fab and I really only need it for basic internet browsing, texting calling etc, so I think i'll go with it (if it's ever released in Ireland, probably not soon if the 920 and 620 are anything to go by :P)

You could buy nearly 2 800's for that, about €150-180 with some networks on PAYG. Just pop in your own sim if on the same network.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

irish-stew wrote: »
    You could buy nearly 2 800's for that, about €150-180 with some networks on PAYG. Just pop in your own sim if on the same network.

That used to be the price but pricing seems to start at €200 and up for the 800 now. Have you seen the phone for that price and also in stock anywhere recently? (A friend is looking to buy one)

hadoken13 wrote: »
    That used to be the price but pricing seems to start at €200 and up for the 800 now. Have you seen the phone for that price and also in stock anywhere recently? (A friend is looking to buy one)

You cant really get them in store anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seems to be harder to get the eMobile/Meteor ones unlocked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

You cant really get them in store anymore.

Anybody who wants one and has a contact in the UK or NI can get them for £100 in certain Tesco stores

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nokia-lumia-800-black-tesco-instore-100-1500511

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just noticed I have a notification for an update, I already have the 7.8 one :confused:

MSFT release another small update so that should be correct..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

MSFT release another small update so that should be correct..

Ah i see now it's to fix the broken live tiles i think

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »

Ah i see now it's to fix the broken live tiles i think

Apparently that update was signed way before the report of live tiles issues. I don't think that's there to fix that issue. Jaxbot did confirm that he still had the issue after that update

The most recent version numbers are;

OS version 7.10.8862.x
    Nokia Firmware 1753.823.8858.x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Hi guys,

Just got a Lumia 800. Having issues trying to connect it to my Twitter account though. Every time I try to authorize the app, it gives me an error 500 code? All my other accounts have been added with no issues at all. (FB, GMail, Live ect).

Could anyone shed some light on this for me please?

Thanks, L.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Has anyone had their phone 'go back'- time and/or date wise? About a week ago it lost 12 hours overnight- but not precisely, it was roughly 12 hours 40 minutes and yesterday it lost exactly a day overnight. It's not a problem at the moment but it will be in the future when I need it for alarms. Hoping it's not just my phone and that there's a fix on the way.

Has anyone had their phone go back in time? About a week ago it lost 12 hours overnight, and yesterday it lost a day overnight. It's not a problem at the moment but it will be in the future when I need it for alarms. Hoping it's not just my phone and that there's a fix on the way.

Have you got anything running unnecessary running in the background?

I keep mine on battery saver, wifi and data switched off unless using them, etc etc. Am currently getting about a two day charge. Adding apps and updating does seem to lower the battery life between charges, but this returns back to about two days after several overnight charges.

Have noticed though that using the snooze drains the battery. Hitting snooze 2-3 times seems to cost an hour or two of battery life, but with little use during the day, they seem to be reclaimed by the end of it.

Has anyone had their phone go back in time? About a week ago it lost 12 hours overnight, and yesterday it lost a day overnight. It's not a problem at the moment but it will be in the future when I need it for alarms. Hoping it's not just my phone and that there's a fix on the way.

Is the location set to Ireland. I think US went through time adjustment not too long ago.

Only thing I could think of is the auto time adjustment, or is that taken from the network now?

Apologies, that's not very clear. I mean time/date. The first time it was displaying the 24 hour clock wrongly when I woke up, roughly 12 hours behind and the second time it was showing 17th March everywhere on the 18th. Peculiar.

Opps, just realised, are you referring to date/time, or battery life?

irish-stew wrote: »
    Opps, just realised, are you referring to date/time, or battery life?

Time/date. Battery life is fine thankfully. Will edit unclear original post.

• Advertisement

Is the location set to Ireland. I think US went through time adjustment not too long ago.

Only thing I could think of is the auto time adjustment, or is that taken from the network now?

It's set to Ireland. Phone is unlocked with an o2 sim. Edit- That's weird, the region reset to UK from Ireland at some point..either randomly or maybe with the 7.8 update (Nokia did this for me when it was being repaired for an unrelated issue 3 months ago). Have put it back to Ireland now, hopefully that will fix it, thanks.

Advertisement