Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

How do I find the product code?

It should be on the box if you still have it. It is a six (seven maybe?) character code, made up of numbers and letters.

There's probably a way of checking it on the phone itself but I'm not aware of how to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Ronan H wrote: »
    It should be on the box if you still have it. It is a six (seven maybe?) character code, made up of numbers and letters.

There's probably a way of checking it on the phone itself but I'm not aware of how to do that!

think i found it on the nokia site, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Can you install dropbox to upload full res photos. Find that handy on android rather than connecting to PC.

Do you think the 800 is still worth buying. I think the WP8 phones will be out of my budget on speak easy, and am impressed with the speed of the 800 vs mid range androids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

Hey whats the verdict on this phone from people who have it? Looking at getting one on 02 prepay. Mostly use the phone for texting(does it have predictive text) and for online use. Whats it like for Facebook, Twitter etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

BostonB wrote: »
    Can you install dropbox to upload full res photos. Find that handy on android rather than connecting to PC.

The official dropbox is coming soon but you can use the unofficial Boxfiles app to do that for you.

http://www.wpcentral.com/unofficial-dropbox-app-windows-phone-now-allows-automatic-camera-uploads
    Do you think the 800 is still worth buying. I think the WP8 phones will be out of my budget on speak easy, and am impressed with the speed of the 800 vs mid range androids.

The Lumia 800 is super smooth and will only get better with the 7.8 update coming soon. I love mine :)

• Advertisement

ryaner1979 wrote: »
    Hey whats the verdict on this phone from people who have it? Looking at getting one on 02 prepay. Mostly use the phone for texting(does it have predictive text) and for online use. Whats it like for Facebook, Twitter etc?

It's got a great keyboard and the predictive text is very good. It's great for what you want. Facebook and twitter are built into it so you don't actually need to install the Facebook or twitter apps. I use the facebook chat alot which is also built into the phones Messaging hub

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I bought one for my wife because all she uses it for is Facebook and Whatsapp. I could never use one though because I find it way too restricting. Not being able to recognise the device as mass storage alone to organize my media files was a dealbreaker alone. Having to buy ringtones from the Windows market, lack of apps, crappy multi-tasking (trying switching from SSH to another app and Windows kills your SSH session :pac:), etc are just scratching the surface of limitations.

If you're on a budget and want to do basic stuff like Facebook, browsing and whatsapp, then the Lumia is fine. If you use apps for everything, love having the latest OS, like to manage your media collection yourself, then I would be considering a Nexus 4 for only an extra €100. Unlike the obsolete Lumia 800, this runs the latest version of Android and will probably get Android updates for the next 2 years.

Will the Nexus 4 be about 300? I think it will be closer to €400+

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Will the Nexus 4 be about 300? I think it will be closer to €400+
    It's been confirmed at €300 in Germany, Google don't usually gouge regions on pricing, they didn't with the Nexus 7 at least.

Ok thats cheaper than I've heard before.

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me when texting on this phone do you have to use a qwerty style display on the screen or is it the 1=abc type way of texting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Can anyone tell me when texting on this phone do you have to use a qwerty style display on the screen or is it the 1=abc type way of texting?

You have to use the qwerty. You can get an app to get you the Phone pad keypad

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

If you're on a budget and want to do basic stuff like Facebook, browsing and whatsapp, then the Lumia is fine. If you use apps for everything, love having the latest OS, like to manage your media collection yourself, then I would be considering a Nexus 4 for only an extra €100. Unlike the obsolete Lumia 800, this runs the latest version of Android and will probably get Android updates for the next 2 years.

I am using the Lumia as my one and only phone for the last 2 months and find it excellent.

Once you learn the interface (it doesn't take that long) its easy to use snappy and performs all the Android, IOS tasks and more without that buggy delay between screens that happens all iPhones and Android after users load them up with generally useless apps.

Most apps are useless and multitasking apps is a large reason why so many phones feel sluggish after a couple of months usage.

What others said about facebook and twitter support within the messaging hub is a big plus with Windows phone. Gererally all people want is good phone (calls, texts, call history),email, Internet browsing, GPS maps / direction and social media access. The Nokia Lumia excels in all those tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

From theregister today:

"And it's misleading to conclude that WP8 is the same, but bigger. Tethering is supported by default in the OS, for example. The resizable tiles make a big difference to usability. Both features are being back-ported to Windows Tango in the Windows Phone 7.8 upgrade, to make people who splashed out in the spring only to discover they'll never run WP8 a little less grumpy. (And quite right too.)"

So basically the Nokia Lumia 800 with the 7.8 upgrade will get the best of the new windows 8 features

I'd wait till I see it to believe that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Francie Barrett viewpost.gif

I am using the Lumia as my one and only phone for the last 2 months and find it excellent.

Once you learn the interface (it doesn't take that long) its easy to use snappy and performs all the Android, IOS tasks and more without that buggy delay between screens that happens all iPhones and Android after users load them up with generally useless apps.

Most apps are useless and multitasking apps is a large reason why so many phones feel sluggish after a couple of months usage.

What others said about facebook and twitter support within the messaging hub is a big plus with Windows phone. Gererally all people want is good phone (calls, texts, call history),email, Internet browsing, GPS maps / direction and social media access. The Nokia Lumia excels in all those tasks.

I'm with Francie on this one. I think I have finally fallen out of love with my Lumia, in fact, I'm not sure I ever was properly in love with it! I am eagerly awaiting the Nexus 4. I have been tinkering with my son's Meep tablet which is Android based and I love it. Almost total customisation-ability and a superb range of apps (far better than Windows Marketplace IMO) is a winning situation for me.

There are too many issues with the Lumia that I just can't get past. Multitasking is horrendous, having to stab the back button numerous times to get out of an app (Internet Explorer being the biggest culprit for that), poor camera, lack of ability to customise the phone (Symbian was even better for that), wasted screen real estate, borderline app store, lack of sd card storage, no link up as a drive in Windows Explorer, Zune!...

Yes the screen is fantastic and the phone is very smooth and fast, but in the absence of so many other things, it just doesn't stack up enough for me.

If you want to do the basic stuff then it's great, but apart from that it falls down...

Looks like I will be moving away from Nokia for the first time in my life when the Nexus 4 comes out, although admittedly this is a Microsoft issue and not just a Nokia issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Ronan H wrote: »
    having to stab the back button numerous times to get out of an app (Internet Explorer being the biggest culprit for that)

Just press the home button, the back button is to take you back to previous pages.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Just press the home button, the back button is to take you back to previous pages.

Would ya stop the lights ;). I know that, but if I want out of the app (i.e. to close it) altogether, as opposed to just putting it in the background, it's cumbersome. And I am aware that you can just hit the menu, go to tabs, and close the tab, but that is cumbersome too. I wonder have people ever heard of "close" buttons...

Fine, the back button closes some apps, and it is Microsoft's preferred and suggested way of doing so, but it is very hit and miss.

The home button would be a good option if the phone had a good multitasking environment. SOmetimes the home button kills an app, sometimes it puts it in the background, so it's not really dependable.

On another note, is anyone having issues with Viber? As in, the second release from Nokia with the voice support in it? It doesn't seem to run in the background fully? I am missing out on messages from days ago and I only pick them up when I open the app specifically. The settings are set up to do the push notifications etc., but I never ever get any. Is the only way to have it run in the background to open it manually and then hit the home button? (ironic that we are back to that again eh?!)

I only get homescreen badges on the tile in the above situation also.

And when new messages do some in etc, you can barely hear them, despite the phone volume being at 30?

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PHOEBEKEELY

I have one, and would not recommend it to any one. Battery life - poor. Ease of use - poor. User-friendly - poor. Text size - bad. Saving numbers - bad. Radio - bad. The list goes on. I have always had Noika phones, but if this is the way they are going, this will be my last. Any phone where you have to keep on reverting to the manual is a bad phone. It may look and feel good, but that's where it starts and ends.

What phone do you think is better for the same price on O2?

• Advertisement

I have one, and would not recommend it to any one. Battery life - poor. Ease of use - poor. User-friendly - poor. Text size - bad. Saving numbers - bad. Radio - bad. The list goes on. I have always had Noika phones, but if this is the way they are going, this will be my last. Any phone where you have to keep on reverting to the manual is a bad phone. It may look and feel good, but that's where it starts and ends.

I feel your pain in some of those areas, but in the interest of fairness to Nokia, Microsoft has a big role to play as they are the ones who are (presumably) mostly responsible for the OS software on the phone, which is where the main issues appear to be. As a physical phone, which I presume Nokia is mainly responsible for, it is a fairly impressive phone. Its fast and its beautiful, and that's great, but the software lets it down in some areas...

If you need a manual to use the Lumia you got no chance using any smart phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Good luck when Windows 8 arrives if you ever buy a new laptop :eek:

Found Windows Phone easier to use than Android from playing with it. I'm sure it lacks features I'm unaware of as I don't own one but own an Android device but from using a friends, I found it way easier to get used to then iPhone or Android TBH.

It was the lack of apps at the time that put me off the Lumia 800 when it was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Lads was wondering if any advice can be given on this headscratcher my phone updated to tango grand but its still running the firmware 1600.2489.8107.12072 with no sign of internet sharing on it?

What phone do you think is better for the same price on O2?

Like BostonB is there any phone thats better for a similar price? Would this be better? http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/phones/samsung-galaxy-ace-ii-i8160/223/

Like BostonB is there any phone thats better for a similar price? Would this be better? http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/phones/samsung-galaxy-ace-ii-i8160/223/

Lol theres one thing worse than a phone that doesn't have any apps. A phone that has apps but starts freezing after installing some...

Lol theres one thing worse than a phone that doesn't have any apps. A phone that has apps but starts freezing after installing some...

Could you be more vague. Is there something specific you don't like.

Someone in the house has a Ace II and its quite nippy. Everything worked that I tried. Though as will all Android phones everyone is slightly different than the last one. It may get an update from 2.3.6

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ace_2_and_s_advance_to_skip_ics_get_jb-news-4786.php

Could you be more vague. Is there something specific you don't like.

Someone in the house has a Ace II and its quite nippy. Everything worked that I tried. Though as will all Android phones everyone is slightly different than the last one. It may get an update from 2.3.6

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ace_2_and_s_advance_to_skip_ics_get_jb-news-4786.php

Try installing 50+ games and apps on the phone and see how slow it gets. It might have a dual core processor but its the weakest one you can get. Doesnt help when you have all those processes added.

See which one will run smoother.

Try installing 50+ games and apps on the phone and see how slow it gets. It might have a dual core processor but its the weakest one you can get. Doesnt help when you have all those processes added.

See which one will run smoother.

Not all apps and games run (or have processes that run) concurrently. So they just sit on your SD card till you need them. So I don't get what you mean that installing a bunch of them slows android down. or consumes cpu cycles.

Every device has limited resources. You have to manage them accordingly. I don't see that an extra 200mhz will make that much of a difference. Its more an issue of the chipset and gpu. But it really depends what you are paying for?

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ace_2-review-786p3.php
    Overall, the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 is not bad for a mid-range device and beats most single-cores, but can't always keep up with the other dual-cores, particularly the Snapdragon S4 (which admittedly isn't to be found in a smartphone in this price range).

Do you have links to running max number of apps on similar phones?

http://gktechmania.blogspot.ie/2011/12/nokia-e5-record-breaker.html

• Advertisement

Lol there's easily 50 games and apps on my mums phone, mainly due to the little one playing a ton of games on it.

Not once does it freeze or stutter, it runs faster and smoother than dual core or quad core phones and good luck with proving that otherwise, because even the harshest critics of WP7 always bring it up thats its the most smoothest OS to date even with its underpowered processors that often beat the best smartphones at day to day operations.

My Titan never froze in any operation vs the quad core S3 or One X.
    Never seen my mums Lumia freeze or slow down either.

Thats the reason I and a lot of other WP owners favor it over Android or iOS, pure speed and stability, design of UX is personal prefernce but not many people complain about it either. Its sexy and easy to use, there is no sea of menu buttons, everything is uniformed for easy navigation, there might not be a huge amount of apps as on Android or especially iOS, but their majority are definetly prettier and better looking than Android ones.

If you havent seen that, that means you didnt really look for amazing apps, cause there is plenty.

Advertisement