Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Ryanair Issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

patwicklow wrote: »
    I just would not fly with them ye man who owns it is just a money hungry
    greedy twat.

Yes and to think that some people suggested he run the country and get us out of austerity. He is just a latter day Charlie Haughey, better looking but sneakier.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

All the charges and rules are clearly displayed and explained. Trying to take extra weight and size onto a flight and dodge paying the advertised fees.... now that's sneaky..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

KoolKid wrote: »
    I have never had anyone from Ryan Air call me an idiot, have you?
    Ah, to be fair, as well as calling people who didn't print out their boarding cards "idiots" (which personally I think is kind of fair - the people in question had an entire holiday to find somewhere to print it and they chose not to bother), Michael O'Leary has also made a few references to "idiot bloggers". As I now have a blog (linked in my sig, cof cof) like other people, it might just be that we're all idiots for whatever it is he was complaining about that day.

I find that my usual bag fits far more smoothly in the dimension-checking basket when I turn it upside down. Shouldn't make any difference but somehow it does. The rules are pretty simple - bag size X or smaller, turn up nice and early (which I've fallen foul of a number of times but that's entirely my fault), print your own boarding pass, don't stab your fellow passengers if they insist on clapping the arrival of the flying bus, don't scream when they play that awful celebratory "arrived on time" noise and everything will be fine. They're strict about most of these rules but they're not secret rules. No harm in carrying a measuring tape if you feel like being a bit paranoid, sure it weighs almost nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

F.F.S. People.

Get with it, we hear the same thing over and over again about Ryan Air but the problem is not so much with the but with the people complaining.

Hand luggage: They said my bag was too big or too heavy and I had to pay. That is your fault not theirs. It is clear in their regulations.

I can’t get a seat with the people I am with: Get there on time. I have never had to sit apart from the people I am travelling with. Week in week out I see parents looking for seats and other people having to move because they were so late getting on the plane. Why?

When I am booking or printing out a boarding pass they try to trick us to buy other products: As do almost all other airlines. Read what you are doing and you won’t have a problem.

I had to print out by boarding pass: You can do it from 15 days to 4 hours in advance of your outward journey, what is the problem?

Ryan Air offers a very good service for the price they charge. Unfortunately I have to fly a lot, I will always try getting the best price available and I will consider travel time from other airports to my final destination.

To give an example my last 5 Aer Lingus flights were between ½ an hour and 4 hours late. All the Ryanair flights I have taken this year were on time. I fly all around Europe and the USA and let me say Ryan Air is far from the worst airline out there. You don’t get the frills other Airlines charge for and more often than not don’t give.

My advice is follow their rules and get there early and you will have no problem.

Great post. Its no frills airline - you pay for a cheap short flight, and thats what you get.

One thing I think though, is their fleet - surely it must be aging on by now? The miles those planes do is pretty astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yes and to think that some people suggested he run the country and get us out of austerity. He is just a latter day Charlie Haughey, better looking but sneakier.

Presuming you're referring to Michael O'Leary, he doesn't own the airline, he runs it. And I'd love to see him running the country.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Oryx wrote: »
    Yes but they did change the rules so that you have to print it out at least four hours before travel to stop people printing them at the airport.

No, you have to check in four hours before hand which you can do from your phone. You can print out your boarding pass 2 minutes before you show it to ryanair staff. Have you ever seen RA staff looking at the timestamp of the print out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

xpletiv wrote: »
    One thing I think though, is their fleet - surely it must be aging on by now? The miles those planes do is pretty astounding.

The average age of their fleet is 4.3 years.

For comparison:

Aer Lingus : 6.9 years
    Air France 9.9 years
    American Airlines 15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

No, let us be fair to Michael O'Leary and his relationship with Ireland. He is tax resident in Ireland and pays his taxes in Ireland.

Charles Haughey did not pay his due tax in Ireland and took corrupt payments.

Denis O'Brien, Michael Smurfit, Dermot Desmond, Tony O'Reilly etc are all tax resident abroad and pay little or no tax in Ireland.

I have more respect for Michael O'Leary than the other five I have listed put together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

Godge wrote: »
    No, let us be fair to Michael O'Leary and his relationship with Ireland. He is tax resident in Ireland and pays his taxes in Ireland.

Charles Haughey did not pay his due tax in Ireland and took corrupt payments.

Denis O'Brien, Michael Smurfit, Dermot Desmond, Tony O'Reilly etc are all tax resident abroad and pay little or no tax in Ireland.

I have more respect for Michael O'Leary than the other five I have listed put together.

Well said. I remember in the days before Ryanair, about 30 to 35 years ago, it cost over £200 - a fortune then, like a months wages - to fly to England with the unionised semi-state Air Lingus. They ran the airline then like the country is being run by the public service now. Thank God for Michael O'Leary and Ryanair : he has introduced efficiency in to the industry and helped bring prices down across Europe. I flew on my summer holidays with Ryanair to Europe for considerably less than the price of a CIE train ticket to Cork, FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Japer wrote: »
    Well said. I remember in the days before Ryanair, about 30 to 35 years ago, it cost over £200 - a fortune then, like a months wages - to fly to England with the unionised semi-state Air Lingus. They ran the airline then like the country is being run by the public service now. Thank God for Michael O'Leary and Ryanair : he has introduced efficiency in to the industry and helped bring prices down across Europe. I flew on my summer holidays with Ryanair to Europe for considerably less than the price of a CIE train ticket to Cork, FFS.
    I get tired of the constant peddling of the myth that O'Leary and Ryanair broke the duopoly on the Dublin-London route. The credit for that should go to another Irishman operating in a quite different realm: Peter Sutherland as EU Commissioner for competition. Ryanair simply took advantage of the opportunity created. If they hadn't, others would have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I get tired of the constant peddling of the myth that O'Leary and Ryanair broke the duopoly on the Dublin-London route. The credit for that should go to another Irishman operating in a quite different realm: Peter Sutherland as EU Commissioner for competition. Ryanair simply took advantage of the opportunity created. If they hadn't, others would have.

What ?

You mean like Aer Arann or JetMagic ..... yeh, they really rocked the boat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

F.F.S. People.

Get with it, we hear the same thing over and over again about Ryan Air but the problem is not so much with the but with the people complaining.

Hand luggage: They said my bag was too big or too heavy and I had to pay. That is your fault not theirs. It is clear in their regulations.

I can’t get a seat with the people I am with: Get there on time. I have never had to sit apart from the people I am travelling with. Week in week out I see parents looking for seats and other people having to move because they were so late getting on the plane. Why?

When I am booking or printing out a boarding pass they try to trick us to buy other products: As do almost all other airlines. Read what you are doing and you won’t have a problem.

I had to print out by boarding pass: You can do it from 15 days to 4 hours in advance of your outward journey, what is the problem?

Ryan Air offers a very good service for the price they charge. Unfortunately I have to fly a lot, I will always try getting the best price available and I will consider travel time from other airports to my final destination.

To give an example my last 5 Aer Lingus flights were between ½ an hour and 4 hours late. All the Ryanair flights I have taken this year were on time. I fly all around Europe and the USA and let me say Ryan Air is far from the worst airline out there. You don’t get the frills other Airlines charge for and more often than not don’t give.

My advice is follow their rules and get there early and you will have no problem.

If people did that there would be no more boards because people would have nothing to complain about then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

greedy twat.

A business wanting to make money, have you ever heard the likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Japer wrote: »

I used to fly, in the early 80s, over to see footie matches in London. I'd take the Dublin-Heathrow route and I remember the exact price and the breakdown of the price. In about 1983, it was £105. £100 for the return ticket, £5 in airport taxes. That was, as Japer says, 30 years ago. There were only two airlines on the route, Aer Lingus and British Airways, conducting an insanely profitable duopoly. I remember an article in a newspaper at the time doing the sums and declaring it the most expensive per mile air travel in the world. It was that bad.

30 years later, you can get the odd promotional fare for €65. €5 for the ticket, €60 in taxes.

Here's my view on Ryanair. I wouldn't travel on them for love or money. There are better airlines, friendlier airlines, airlines that don't try to eke and sneak catchpennies out of you.

But I recognize what Ryanair has done. If it wasn't for Ryanair, all the other airlines wouldn't be offering me fares at a fraction of what I paid 30 years ago. There are better flying experiences, but no airline has done more to drive down the price of air travel in Europe, full stop. And for that I give them enormous credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

syklops wrote: »
    The average age of their fleet is 4.3 years.

For comparison:

Aer Lingus : 6.9 years
    Air France 9.9 years
    American Airlines 15 years.
    Its the frequency of landings and take off (LTO) cycles that determine the true age of an aircraft.

FR aircraft will age a lot more premature than any of EI, AF or AA's more so with their renowned 35 minute turnaround time..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

airlines that don't try to eke and sneak catchpennies out of you.
    Like whom? I noticed that Aer Lingus still charge an admin charge for using credit cards, they charge for baggage and have a mafia up by the boarding gate checking bag sizes. I have even seen them stop EI staff using crew bags stating that they were too big !

Not to mention the EI excess baggage fees are outlandish.

So for me, while EI may not call themselves a LOCO, they certainly behave like one.
    If they hadn't, others would have.
    Do you remember Club Air and Virgin?

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

F.F.S. People.

Do the rules give Ryanair staff the right to treat their passengers badly, then?

branie wrote: »
    Do the rules give Ryanair staff the right to treat their passengers badly, then?
    Pretty well. It's the culture of the airline, and the tone is set by the CEO, who makes it obvious that respecting passengers is irrelevant - it adds nothing to the bottom line.

I think of it as the commodification of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PaddyGannon

branie wrote: »

No but it is not only Ryanair.

I was on a flight last week from the UK with my wife. The flight was an 1½ hours late and when I boarded there was someone sitting in my seat. I asked them to move as I wanted to sit with my wife but she refused. I than asked the flight attendant to help and she told me to “shut up and sit somewhere else, do you not think I have enough on my plate” Another attendant stood with her mouth opened after hearing that but when I asked her if she had heard it she said no and asked me to take another seat and not to disturb the other passengers.

So you see it is not only Ryanair. I will fly with whoever offers the best price for what I need but over the years I have found the standard of those so called higher class airlines has become worse than the budget ones. They have a superior complex and are not afraid to show it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Over all I would have to say I have had much more negative experiences with Aer Lingus than any other airline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

greedy twat.

Michael O'Leary is the CEO of Ryanair, he runs probably the most successful Irish company there is.
    It's a pity he doesn't run the country!

And I'm saying that as a guy who got stung last week in Faro for excess baggage weight on one of their flights.
    Who'd have thought 14 bottles of spirits would weigh so much....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

KoolKid wrote: »
    Over all I would have to say I have had much more negative experiences with Aer Lingus than any other airline.

+1 on this. I would have expected more from a national carrier but have had poorer experiences overall from AL than RA.

You get what you pay for at the end of the day!

xpletiv wrote: »
    +1 on this. I would have expected more from a national carrier but have had poorer experiences overall from AL than RA.

You get what you pay for at the end of the day!
    Aer Lingus is not a national carrier. We sold it off, remember?

Because people in large numbers have chosen to buy into the Ryanair approach, Aer Lingus have been forced to adopt similar practices in order to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

My wife & her sister had to travel to Gran Canaria at short notice as their brother was taken seriously ill.

They booked a Ryanair flight last minute from Shannon to Palma, not cheap but that's not the issue.

They both packed one piece of hand luggage ensuring to stay within the Ryanair guidelines. No problem on the outward journey.

A few days later, on the return flight, this time from Palma to Dublin, they were charged €40 each because their hand luggage did not fit into a measuring frame. This was despite the fact that both pieces of luggage were actually lighter than on the outbound journey as the didn't bother to bring back their toiletries etc. They were well within the Ryanair weight limits for hand luggage.

A number of other passengers had a similar experience. And worse still, they were bullied by the Ryanair staff who acted as if they were on some kind of bonus to penalise passengers.

In simple terms, another Ryanair rip off.

Yeah this is a trick Ryanair use I've seen it lots of times. People think they've gotten away with a slightly oversized bag on the outward trip, but Ryanair catch them on the return. It's easy money, so beware and only use a bag strictly within the size limits:

55cm x 40cm x 20cm

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

Oracle wrote: »
    Yeah this is a trick Ryanair use I've seen it lots of times.

What is it with people? It is not a trick, it is just their regulations. They clearly state their maximum bag size and if people choose to bring a bag bigger they should be prepared to suffer the consequence.

It is like going out to rob something, getting caught and blaming the Garda.

Where is the trick? They should count themselves lucky they didn’t have to pay both ways.

My wife & her sister had to travel to Gran Canaria at short notice as their brother was taken seriously ill.

They booked a Ryanair flight last minute from Shannon to Palma, not cheap but that's not the issue.

They both packed one piece of hand luggage ensuring to stay within the Ryanair guidelines. No problem on the outward journey.

A few days later, on the return flight, this time from Palma to Dublin, they were charged €40 each because their hand luggage did not fit into a measuring frame. This was despite the fact that both pieces of luggage were actually lighter than on the outbound journey as the didn't bother to bring back their toiletries etc. They were well within the Ryanair weight limits for hand luggage.

A number of other passengers had a similar experience. And worse still, they were bullied by the Ryanair staff who acted as if they were on some kind of bonus to penalise passengers.

In simple terms, another Ryanair rip off.

Why did they go to Palma? It's a long way from Mallorca to Gran Caneria. Las Palmas would have been handier.
    Also if I was on a last minute flight to someone seriously ill I really would not be caring less or even noticing what the bags were costing me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't like flying with them and I'll check any other place first but if they're the cheapest by a fair margin then I will. I think they're ok if you stick to everything, I just don't like the queueing. People hopping over barriers and going mad... /shrug

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't like flying with them and I'll check any other place first but if they're the cheapest by a fair margin then I will. I think they're ok if you stick to everything, I just don't like the queueing. People hopping over barriers and going mad... /shrug

Priority boarding ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I think Ryanair are great, you've just gotta watch all the rules and regulations with them .... the bag sizing thing being one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Stheno wrote: »
    Priority boarding ftw

Same with them as well - never seen the point in getting it. Esp if there's a bus at the terminal to the plane, they can't go til they're full anyway

Advertisement