Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Ryanair Issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Zigomar

Nano... Don't let cRyan Air put you off flying... They do have the lowest standards in Europe and I love the bad meat analogy.. I take up to 50/60 flight a year and there is better if you look.. e.g. Are Lingus are best and cheapest to Portugal and Air Berlin/Niki Air are brilliant inter europe. Monarch and Easy jet are good from the Uk. There are plenty of good low cost airlines operating into Capital cities around Europe..
    PS driving in Europe is good too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

Zigomar wrote: »
    They are the ONLY airline that terrorise their passengers (and employees).. Even when the luggage is correct you will see the pathetic queues of victims wondering if they are going to get stopped..and charged

I presume by terrorise you are talking about checking bag size, below you mentioned 2 other airlines that have checked my bag size but I didn’t feel “terrorised”. As I don’t with Ryanair.
    Why would anyone who has the correct size or weight bag wonder anything? It is only people that have something to worry about that worry.
    They even make their passengers fill out unnecessary web forms hoping a mistake is made so they can levy more charges.
    As do Monarch, Aer Lingus, Easy Jet (some you mentioned) and most other Airlines.
    Lottery tickets??? Trumpeting an arrival.

You can buy lottery tickets all over the country and I don’t see you mouthing off about that. I agree the trumpeting is a bit naff but they do have a lot to shout about when it comes to their on time service.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

e.g. Are Lingus are best and cheapest to Portugal

You are a troll and nothing more, why do people like you make statements like this when it is so easy for people to see through it and you and find out for themselves.

A quick look using dates that I know I need to fly,
    Dublin to Faro November 3rd to 6th. I will be going on the 2nd as that is when I want to go but Aer Lingus don’t fly that day and Ryanair do. But for price comparison we will say the 3rd.

Aer Lingus €247.98
    Ryanair €123.96

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

They do have the lowest standards in Europe

Folks don’t take any account of what this clown has to say on the matter as now I see they are only joking.

To say this and mention Easy Jet and Monarch in the same paragraph, now that is a great joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Some of us like Ryanair because of the restrictions. As a frequent flyer I know what to do, as does everybody on the morning flights I use. Never seen anybody fined though they measure. So boarding is fast. Everybody has their passes. Everybody has their printouts. Nobody is taking the piss with hand luggage which is really hold luggage. We get on. We get off. Takes minutes.

Meanwhile the other airlines seem to be full of panicking non-travellers. Possibly because those airlines are better for family groups because if the fewer restrictions.

I will assume you are being genuine here but my experience of Ryanair is the exact opposite. Most people don't buy priority boarding as they begrudge giving the fuggers the extra but they still want to sit beside their friends and / or children.

This results in people wandering up and dowen the aisles looking for empty seats with Ryanair staff screaming at them to sit down (practice for the big incessant sell all the way through the flight). After a while people start to panic and load their luggage into the nearest overhead locker and scuttle off to a seat 10 yards away before ther Nazis lose it completely. On landing there is utter chaos as, on the sound of the unfasten seatbelts gong, they bolt in every direction to retrieve said luggage, blocking the aisle in scenes reminiscent of the last helicopter out of Saigon.

Other airlines where seats are allocated are an oasis of calm in contrast as people know where they are going are will use the locker over their own seat not one at the other end of the plane.

Maybe that's only on the flights I get but I avoid Ryanair like the plague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Iospir

Yeah the seats thing is a mess. I was on a ryanair flight recently where the disabled people were all told to board last and then when they go on there were no seats kept for them despite it being an EU rule that they get seats which are safe for them and the other passengers (such as not blocking an exit seat etc) and have their carers next to them. Staff kept telling everyone to hurry up while a woman about 90 who could barely walk tried to get all the way to the back of the plane to a spare seat through the chaos of everyone trying to find lockers. Staff blamed the airport but obviously they are responsible for seats on their own planes and just don't give a damn.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ryanair is fine for travelling alone. Not for travelling with children or in a group where you want to sit together unless you want to pay extra for that.

I flew with them recently and on the way back my bag was packed to the gills, and looked it. Of course I got stopped, it looked oversize. I expected to get stopped, its the kind of thing they look for. I took my time, smiled and chatted to the staff member (who was very abrupt with me but I smiled anyway), and my bag fitted in the rack, which I knew it would do as Ive checked it before. I felt very smug, and got no hassle, just a sniffy attitude from yer man.

But the guy behind me had a go at said staff member over the unfairness of all the checking. Well, he got a full two minute lecture, which held up not just him, but the rest of the queue. Embarrassed? He was beetroot. But it shows that when you happen on a Ryanair jobsworth, just keep your head down and get on with it, those people listen to complaints all day, they just LOVE to give a bit back when you put in for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Zigomar

Folks don’t take any account of what this clown has to say on the matter as now I see they are only joking.

To say this and mention Easy Jet and Monarch in the same paragraph, now that is a great joke.

Typical cRyan Airhead.. If you don't like the message shoot the messenger!! :p I've never disputed your ability to choose.. Just don't make them out to be saviours.. It's my choice NOT to fly with the bullying cretins.. end of..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Iospir wrote: »
    Yeah the seats thing is a mess. I was on a ryanair flight recently where the disabled people were all told to board last and then when they go on there were no seats kept for them despite it being an EU rule that they get seats which are safe for them and the other passengers (such as not blocking an exit seat etc) and have their carers next to them. Staff kept telling everyone to hurry up while a woman about 90 who could barely walk tried to get all the way to the back of the plane to a spare seat through the chaos of everyone trying to find lockers. Staff blamed the airport but obviously they are responsible for seats on their own planes and just don't give a damn.

On the flip side of this I was on a Ryanair flight from Dublin to Eindhoven, a child and I assume her mother got on. The child was wearing a crash helmet so I assume she had some issue with seizures etc, they had reserved the whole front row for the mother and the child.

The mother was too large to fit into the seat since the front row arm rests don't lift up. The woman didn't have to say anything and the stewardess just asked the people two rows back if they would like to move to the front for more leg room. She even moved their bags for them too.

AFAIK you need to advise the airline in advance otherwise they cannot accommodate you properly:

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/how-do-i-advise-ryanair-of-my-condition-or-request-special-assistance

I.E. I've seen a person on crutches giving out stink because they wouldn't reserve a seat for them at the gate, but if they rang in advance there wouldn't be a problem.

Just because you have a disability, it doesn't mean you do not have to follow the rules.

The whole non reserved seats thing is more stressful I agree, but to be fair it does get people to board more quickly. If its reserved seating people will sit drinking in the pub across the way until theres 2 - 3 people left at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I guess it's all about who you deal with, like in every business. Some people are very helpful, some just don't give a damn, some are downright rude.

A few years ago, when you could pay for priority boarding but not yet reserve a seat, I paid to get on the plane before the crowds because I was travelling alone with a 4 months old. When I got to the get, the man said matter of factly "there are stairs", looking at my buggy (at the time, you couldn't find these very light buggies for small babies). Fellow passengers had to help me down. I got on the plane almost the last one, where a member of the staff asked me to hurry up to seat. I couldn't put the baby down, nor could I put my bag in the overhead compartment. Fellow passengers came again to my rescue. I took 4 flights for this journey, the 4 were a nightmare. I had been flying Ryan Air for years without any problem but I had no kids and it was easy to run to the plane and sit where I wanted. And I travelled light. As I said, travelling with RA is much easier if you are on your own, fit (and preferably with short legs :P)

A friend of mine, again before the seat selection was available, got asked to sit on a different row than her 2 years old. Fortunately, someone gave up his seat to allow them to sit together, but it shouldn't even have happened, the staff should have asked someone to move so mother and child could sit together

• Advertisement

Nanazolie wrote: »
    A few years ago, when you could pay for priority boarding but not yet reserve a seat, I paid to get on the plane before the crowds because I was travelling alone with a 4 months old. When I got to the get, the man said matter of factly "there are stairs”

Sorry I don’t see the relevance, this has nothing to do with Ryanair. This is an Airport issue, if they expect people to use stairs and not provide an elevator.
    A friend of mine, again before the seat selection was available, got asked to sit on a different row than her 2 years old.

Sorry but you should not believe everything you are told even if it was a friend. No staff would ask a mother to sit in a different row to a 2 year old. When she got on, they might have been the seats available but no way would she have been asked to do it.

Sorry I don’t see the relevance, this has nothing to do with Ryanair. This is an Airport issue, if they expect people to use stairs and not provide an elevator.

Sorry but you should not believe everything you are told even if it was a friend. No staff would ask a mother to sit in a different row to a 2 year old. When she got on, they might have been the seats available but no way would she have been asked to do it.

I actually believe her. It's not because you are defending Ryan Air that you should doubt everything people say against them.
    As for the stairs, I should have explained better: there were 3 people working for Ryan Air when the man told me that there were stairs. One could have come down with me, it would have been 1 minute. The air hostess could have helped me with the bag. When I travelled with AerLingus 2 months later, I had several members of the staff helping at various stages.
    Another story: when I was bottle feeding, I asked the air hostess if she had a cup of hot water to warm up the bottle. That cost me 2 euros. I get the same for free on AerLingus flight. Believe it or not, I don't care. I hadn't experience "bad" things in the 7 years I flew with Ryan Air - while it never was pleasant. But ever since having kids, I find them horrendous.

The last time I flew with them was for work, not my choice. The lady at the counter couldn't have been ruder. I know the job is certainly not fun and I guess the pay is not great either. But there are limits to how badly you can treat the customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Life is too short to fly with ryan air. Travelling, even if its for work or whatever, doesn't have to be a miserable experience.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If price was the same I would choose Ryan Air over Aer Lingus every time.
    Arriving on time doesn't make me miserable.
    Fast efficient check in & boarding doesn't make me miserable,
    If I want good seats I arrive early & get near the front of the queue.
    The only miserable people I see when flying Ryan Air are the ones with the over sized or over weight bags. The rules are simple & if everyone obeyed them there would be no miserable people at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Other Airlines also arrive on time, have fast efficient check in & boarding and have rules regarding carry on baggage that they enforce. And thats all fine and good. The problem with ryan air is that the whole process from booking your ticket to arriving at your destination feels adversarial and designed to catch out the unwary. I don't like that so i choose to fly with other airlines (not just aerlingus either). You might be fine with that, which is good for you, but i choose not to and vote with my cash.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

And free choice is fine . But obviously lots are voting with their cash and choosing Ryan Air. The figures speak for themselves. As for the unwary, I am more than happy for those not following the rules to subsidise my cheap flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Yes, the bag checkers are notoriously lax in Dublin airport but quite strict elsewhere so it often happens that people get stung coming back but not out.
    In Carcassone once, my wife's bag was slightly over the limit but instead of just straightaway making her pay the charge the guy just told her to take out some clothes and wrap them around her neck. She did so, he let her pass, and then she put them straight back in. Don't let them charge you unless the bag by itself is too large/heavy. There's always a way around it.

The one thing about Ryanair that really annoys me is the priority boarding rubbish. Once there was a huge queue to board and a staff member came down the line selling priority seating so you could join the other shorter queue. Nearly everyone bought the damn thing and the result was the same queue just three feet to the right.

Oh and the klaxon when they land - that's annoying. Especially when the departure is delayed 30mins but they still magically arrive on time. Not hard to always be on time when you clearly misrepresent the travel time.

I wonder how many people would be happy to shop in a place where the shop manager would ask them to do most of the work themselves and call them idiots in their face, all for the privilege of paying an average of 10 % less (sometimes more, sometimes less) than their competitors?
    Or would you eat out in a restaurant where you have to do the service yourself and still pay for the service charge, where the staff is borderline rude and some advertisment is blasted in your ears for most of your dinner?

Yes, it would do the job, you would be able to buy shoes or have dinner. Yes, it would be efficient and only those who don't comply would be charged more, but would you really sing their praise?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭parc

My wife & her sister had to travel to Gran Canaria at short notice as their brother was taken seriously ill.

They booked a Ryanair flight last minute from Shannon to Palma, not cheap but that's not the issue.

They both packed one piece of hand luggage ensuring to stay within the Ryanair guidelines. No problem on the outward journey.

A few days later, on the return flight, this time from Palma to Dublin, they were charged €40 each because their hand luggage did not fit into a measuring frame. This was despite the fact that both pieces of luggage were actually lighter than on the outbound journey as the didn't bother to bring back their toiletries etc. They were well within the Ryanair weight limits for hand luggage.

A number of other passengers had a similar experience. And worse still, they were bullied by the Ryanair staff who acted as if they were on some kind of bonus to penalise passengers.

In simple terms, another Ryanair rip off.

But it's not a scam. It says if it doesn't fit you'll get charged :confused:

Like or loathe the CEO and PR of the company, it has driven prices down across the board for travellin. It just takes a small bit of research to make it work (ie is it worth flying to this airport that's x miles outside the city etc)

parc wrote: »
    But it's not a scam. It says if it doesn't fit you'll get charged :confused:

Like or loathe the CEO and PR of the company, it has driven prices down across the board for travellin. It just takes a small bit of research to make it work (ie is it worth flying to this airport that's x miles outside the city etc)

I think the point the OP was making is that the bags DID fit on the outwards journey, and despite being lighter (so I guess less bulky too), they did not fit on the journey back. It's not the first time people have complained about it. If the bag fits into the measuring thing that they have at the check-in desk, why does it not at another airport desk? I think OP was implying that the measurement device was smaller on the way back

• Advertisement

I think the point the OP was making is that the bags DID fit on the outwards journey, and despite being lighter (so I guess less bulky too), they did not fit on the journey back. It's not the first time people have complained about it. If the bag fits into the measuring thing that they have at the check-in desk, why does it not at another airport desk? I think OP was implying that the measurement device was smaller on the way back

The OP specifically doesn't say that in the original post. Maybe later?...I don't know.
    I suspect it just wasn't measured on the way out and was on the way in. As I said, this often happens as other airports are far stricter than Dublin. I suspect, if measured in Dublin it would have been too large as well.

Mousewar wrote: »
    The OP specifically doesn't say that in the original post. Maybe later?...I don't know.
    I suspect it just wasn't measured on the way out and was on the way in. As I said, this often happens as other airports are far stricter than Dublin. I suspect, if measured in Dublin it would have been too large as well.

He/she said: They both packed one piece of hand luggage ensuring to stay within the Ryanair guidelines. No problem on the outward journey.

Then everyone assumed they had not paid attention to the rules. May be they did, the OP never came back to confirm that.
    To be fair to everyone, a while ago, some radio guy went to the airport and tried to weight a bag on several airlines scales. Most were showing the wrong weight (in their benefit). So it can happen with any airlines, really

What really annoys me is the fact that the handbag must go into the hand luggage, which AL doesn't do. I put the handbag into the hand luggage for check in, then remove it immediately afterwards. So what's the point?

I wonder how many people would be happy to shop in a place where the shop manager would ask them to do most of the work themselves

Most people do that. They are called supermarkets. There we pick , pack and even check out our own shopping...
    and call them idiots in their face, all for the privilege of paying an average of 10 % less (sometimes more, sometimes less) than their competitors?
    I have never had anyone from Ryan Air call me an idiot, have you?
    Or would you eat out in a restaurant where you have to do the service yourself and still pay for the service charge, where the staff is borderline rude and some advertisment is blasted in your ears for most of your dinner?
    There are plenty of self service buffets and fast food restaurants doing a booming business these days as well.
    Yes, it would do the job, you would be able to buy shoes or have dinner. Yes, it would be efficient and only those who don't comply would be charged more, but would you really sing their praise?

If you feel you are getting what it say on the tin then yes.
    If you get what you paid for and you abide by the rule you agree to before paying what's the problem?

He/she said: They both packed one piece of hand luggage ensuring to stay within the Ryanair guidelines. No problem on the outward journey.

Then everyone assumed they had not paid attention to the rules. May be they did, the OP never came back to confirm that.
    To be fair to everyone, a while ago, some radio guy went to the airport and tried to weight a bag on several airlines scales. Most were showing the wrong weight (in their benefit). So it can happen with any airlines, really

Potentially, but they were caught out on the measurements, not the weight by the sound of it. In my experience, weight is rarely ever checked - why would it be? It doesn't make any difference unless you got dumbbells in there. No doubt they were in the guidelines for weight but not for size - it just wasn't checked going out which indeed rarely happens in Dublin.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Most people do that. They are called supermarkets. There we pick , pack and even check out our own shopping...

I have never had anyone from Ryan Air call me an idiot, have you?

There are plenty of self service buffets and fast food restaurants doing a booming business these days as well.

If you feel you are getting what it say on the tin then yes.
    If you get what you paid for and you abide by the rule you agree to before paying what's the problem?

I shop in supermarkets, but even if I make a mistake or just want to change my mind, I just have to go to the customer service where they will exchange / refund me.
    I also eat at buffets, but then I don't pay for a service charge. You are only reading part of the argument

And yes, Ryan Air's CEO called his passengers who forget to print the boarding pass "idiots". While in principle he is correct that the passengers themselves are in the wrong, because they didn't abid to the strict and very clear guidelines, it is WRONG to call them idiots. A businessman who sells services must stay polite. Just saying "dear customer, the guidelines are very clear and we cannot give you a refund because you didn't comply with them" is enough, there is no need for villipending them.
    http://business.time.com/2012/09/11/thats-some-quirky-marketing-strategy-ceo-calls-his-customers-idiots/

I just agree with this statement:
    'It is equally understandable, though, that a traveler would never want to do business with a company that is known for charging astronomical fees at every turn—or one run by a guy who blatantly insults his customers.'

Not everything that's cheap is great. There is a thing called ethics. I do not want to make rich a man who has no respect for his customers. That's all. I don't mind if people like Ryan Air, it's a free world, but don't try convince me that they are the best thing since sliced bread

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

I always try to fly with ryanair rather than aer lingus. Aer lingus are forever threatening strike action. I find ryanair great as long as you stick to the few rules for trouble free flying. Check in online, print your boarding pass,
    have the proper I.D. have the special ryanair size cabin bag and make sure everything fits in it. Simple. I have seen some people trying to get on flights carrying a ridiculous size bag and a huge amount of stuff and to be honest i wouldnt have much sympathy for them when they get stopped.
    Michael o leary is a bit too honest with his thoughts but i like his honesty.

I shop in supermarkets, but even if I make a mistake or just want to change my mind, I just have to go to the customer service where they will exchange / refund me.
    Exchanges allowed because you make a mistake or change you mind is in addition to your statutory rights , stores do this as a choice.
    Likewise stores apply T and C s at times. E.G. sale items are non refundable etc..
    I also eat at buffets, but then I don't pay for a service charge. You are only reading part of the argument
    Have you never given a tip in a buffet or self service situation?
    If something is a service charge you have the option to refuse payment if your unhappy with the service. However if a restaurant said it €20 in the door and you eat what's there , but there is no refunds just because you don't like the food or like the chef, you decide what you want before you go in. If you feel it's not worth it you eat elsewhere .
    And yes, Ryan Air's CEO called his passengers who forget to print the boarding pass "idiots". While in principle he is correct that the passengers themselves are in the wrong, because they didn't abid to the strict and very clear guidelines, it is WRONG to call them idiots. A businessman who sells services must stay polite. Just saying "dear customer, the guidelines are very clear and we cannot give you a refund because you didn't comply with them" is enough, there is no need for villipending them.

http://business.time.com/2012/09/11/thats-some-quirky-marketing-strategy-ceo-calls-his-customers-idiots/
    That's Michael looking for publicity and you contributing to giving it to him.
    If you don't get the man by now you never will.
    I wouldn't be taking that personally.
    If it's aimed at people who are charged because they can't be bothered checking their luggage then he's right IMO . You agree to something and then don't bother checking and that needlessly costs you money.. Come on..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Call a spade a spade, she was an idiot, there was multiple internet kiosks with printing facilities available at the terminal.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Call a spade a spade, she was an idiot, there was multiple internet kiosks with printing facilities available at the terminal.
    Yes but they did change the rules so that you have to print it out at least four hours before travel to stop people printing them at the airport.

Though in fairness to RA they are very clear on this rule and you have I think 15 days before the flight to sort it. You wouldn't go to a concert without your ticket. And if you turn up without a boarding card for your flight you are, in fact, an idiot, because it will cost you!

• Advertisement

F.F.S. People.

Get with it, we hear the same thing over and over again about Ryan Air but the problem is not so much with the but with the people complaining.

Hand luggage: They said my bag was too big or too heavy and I had to pay. That is your fault not theirs. It is clear in their regulations.

I can’t get a seat with the people I am with: Get there on time. I have never had to sit apart from the people I am travelling with. Week in week out I see parents looking for seats and other people having to move because they were so late getting on the plane. Why?

When I am booking or printing out a boarding pass they try to trick us to buy other products: As do almost all other airlines. Read what you are doing and you won’t have a problem.

I had to print out by boarding pass: You can do it from 15 days to 4 hours in advance of your outward journey, what is the problem?

Ryan Air offers a very good service for the price they charge. Unfortunately I have to fly a lot, I will always try getting the best price available and I will consider travel time from other airports to my final destination.

To give an example my last 5 Aer Lingus flights were between ½ an hour and 4 hours late. All the Ryanair flights I have taken this year were on time. I fly all around Europe and the USA and let me say Ryan Air is far from the worst airline out there. You don’t get the frills other Airlines charge for and more often than not don’t give.

My advice is follow their rules and get there early and you will have no problem.

Advertisement