Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Ryanair Issue

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Food - that was another one. I ordered food near the start of an hour long flight. With 10 minutes to go, and no sign of it, I asked the air hostess how long it would be until landing? 10 MINUTES she snapped. I asked if in that case I could cancel the food because I wouldn't have time to eat it. I had to put the tray table up in 5 minutes, ffs. The answer was a firm NO!

*waits for someone to tell ime I expect to be treated like a VIP for not wanting to juggle handluggage a coffee and a panini on the long walk through a terminal building.*

Thats fair enough, you had a bad experience. I'm not saying you won't, I'm just saying tarring all Ryanair staff with the same brush is counter productive. When was this? In recent years normally at the start of the food service they ask if any one is ordering hot food to make sure it will be ready in time.

I can list off multiple times I have experienced bad service similar to yours with other airlines, US, EI and AA come to mind. But I have also had great service with them aswell.

Just because people work for Ryanair doesn't mean they are some special type out to get you. Most are brilliant staff but have their souls destroyed being treated like crap by staff. For every rude staff there are thousand of rude passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Thats fair enough, you had a bad experience. I'm not saying you won't, I'm just saying tarring all Ryanair staff with the same brush is counter productive. When was this? In recent years normally at the start of the food service they ask if any one is ordering hot food to make sure it will be ready in time.

I can list off multiple times I have experienced bad service similar to yours with other airlines, US, EI and AA come to mind. But I have also had great service with them aswell.

Just because people work for Ryanair doesn't mean they are some special type out to get you. Most are brilliant staff but have their souls destroyed being treated like crap by staff. For every rude staff there are thousand of rude passengers.

I've had multiple bad experiences with Ryanair staff. I can form a view on the general attitude of the staff based on my experiences. Otherwise nobody could ever criticise the staff of any organization without conclusively proving that there was not one single good person working there.

You were making it out to be that by flying Ryanair you are automatically going to be treated like sh&t.

I have flown 100s of times as have my Brother and Sister who go from Dublin to London multiple times a month and never have any major issues.

Just like you, I can form a view on the general attitude of the staff based on my experiences. Otherwise nobody could ever praise the staff of any organization without conclusively proving that there was not one single bad person working there.

The difference is you clearly have it out to get Ryan air and are not willing to accept that there are thousand of decent people working for Ryan air. You show this by you smug comments diagnosing me with Stockholm Syndrome.

I find Ryanair staff brilliant and will continue to fly with them. There are no scams with Ryanair. They are the largest airline in the world (based on international flights) and have an immaculate safety record. Yet still people pipe on about how they are unsafe fixing flight deck windows with duct tape etc. Of course some staff are going to get pissed off with customers. People have it in their head Ryanair = crap so everthing that happens on Ryanair must be unique to Ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I've had multiple bad experiences with Ryanair staff. I can form a view on the general attitude of the staff based on my experiences. Otherwise nobody could ever criticise the staff of any organization without conclusively proving that there was not one single good person working there.

Multiple? And did you forget the print out every time?

You were making it out to be that by flying Ryanair you are automatically going to be treated like sh&t.

I have flown 100s of times as have my Brother and Sister who go from Dublin to London multiple times a month and never have any major issues.

Just like you, I can form a view on the general attitude of the staff based on my experiences. Otherwise nobody could ever praise the staff of any organization without conclusively proving that there was not one single bad person working there.

The difference is you clearly have it out to get Ryan air and are not willing to accept that there are thousand of decent people working for Ryan air. You show this by you smug comments diagnosing me with Stockholm Syndrome.

I find Ryanair staff brilliant and will continue to fly with them. There are no scams with Ryanair. They are the largest airline in the world (based on international flights) and have an immaculate safety record. Yet still people pipe on about how they are unsafe fixing flight deck windows with duct tape etc. Of course some staff are going to get pissed off with customers. People have it in their head Ryanair = crap so everthing that happens on Ryanair must be unique to Ryanair.

We can swap this nonsense back and forth as long as you want. You are not willing to accept that there are loads of horrible people working there ... blah, blah, blah, it's all opinion. You say I'm out to get them. Why are you so defensive of them. Do you work for them? I've never known a customer be so loyal.

I didn't diagnose you with Stockholm Syndrome. I merely thanked a post that I found amusing.

I stand by my view that if you fly Ryanair you are likely to be treated like sh$t. I've flown enough with them to be able to take that view imo.

• Advertisement

We can swap this nonsense back and forth as long as you want. You are not willing to accept that there are loads of horrible people working there ... blah, blah, blah, it's all opinion. You say I'm out to get them. Why are you so defensive of them. Do you work for them? I've never known a customer be so loyal.

I didn't diagnose you with Stockholm Syndrome. I merely thanked a post that I found amusing.

I think you are lying. As for why, I don't know.

Multiple? And did you forget the print out every time?

Where did I say that every problem was printing related? They have a whole arsenal of ways to piss people off.

I think you are lying. As for why, I don't know.

I think you work for Ryanair.

No I am willing to accept there are bad eggs in Ryanair as with every airline.

I am defensive of them because I am a very happy customer and think its an absolute joke the amount of bull**** Ryanair have to deal with. Just look at the heading another Ryanair Scam. which actually translates to passenger didn't follow simple rules. I have never worked for Ryanair.

Sorry, thought you were the one that diagnosed me. Apologies.

Where did I say that every problem was printing related? They have a whole arsenal of ways to piss people off.

Can you list the ways they have pissed people off?

I accept your food issue. That was not good service.
    You boarding card was your fault.

• Advertisement

So you flew multiple times and got caught by not having a printout, which you didn't know about beforehand despite flying "multiple times". With an airline which demands print outs?

Can you list the ways they have pissed people off?

I accept your food issue. That was not good service.
    You boarding card was your fault.

1. Food - overpriced.
    2. Boarding card - in that the procedure is unnecessarily prescriptive - I disagree with you that it was entirely my fault. I think their policy is poor.
    3. No leeway with 200g over handluggage weight.
    4. Long commutes to city centres.
    5. Flight prices last minute can be extortionate. I once had to fly same day. Air Lingus £200. Ryanair £250. They are not always cheap.
    6. Permanent inflight announcements. They never stop interrupting. These are not safety related. They are for smokeless cigarettes and similar bullsh$t.
    7. Rude staff in general.
    8. No assigned seating - their departure lounge is like a holding pen at a cattle mart because people need to get their seats.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

So you flew multiple times and got caught by not having a printout, which you didn't know about beforehand despite flying "multiple times". With an airline which demands print outs?

Who said the printout time wasn't the first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

If I didn't have a job that I enjoy, and could afford it then I would go backpacking for a year. But that's not possible right now. What I love about Ryanair is that because of their prices I can still see loads of Europe on the cheap.

Next Month I have a week of work, I'm flying Dublin -> Brussels Charleroi -> Memminghen Munich -> Stockholm Stavsta -> Dublin at a total cost of €118, that includes the bogus Credit Card admin price. Even when you add in the airport bus transfer costs that is still pretty amazing. In the last 12 months I've had weekends away in Barcelona, Budapest, Rome and Paris that have been cheaper than two days on the piss in Temple bar.

I've never been treated crappy by their staff, usually pretty good actually, although I'm sure it happens. If I worked for the airline of choice for stag parties I become pretty disillusioned with my job. I just don't put myself in a situation that gives anyone the chance to be a pr**k to me.

Ryanair is not gonna be for everyone, flying solo definitely removes a lot of the stressful scenarios I see people arguing about on this thread.

My Ryanair survival tip is to board as early as possible to get a window seat, stick on your iPod and try napping. If you really hate Ryanair try dreaming about flying with another Airline :) Ryanair rules can be a little ridiculous but if you stick to the rules you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Simples

Who said the printout time wasn't the first time?

I am not sure if you meant it was, or it wasn't, the first time. If it was the first time you have an excuse for not knowing that you needed a printout but you continued to use RyanAir from then on in, strangely enough.

If it wasn't the first time how could you have not known you needed a print out.

The rest of your list is a list taken from this thread. The 200g overweight? Never seen RyanAir weigh bags, and nothing is weighed or sized in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

nothing is weighed or sized in Dublin.

I beg to differ. I use Ryanair a lot and I have seen them check bag sizes in Dublin.

Do things the way their website says (bag size, printout, ect) and you will have no problem.

I just don't understand why people complain about Ryanair when it is themselves that are in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

1. Food - overpriced.
    I flew KLM, got a sambo and a tiny beer, the flight cost 350 euros return from NL to the UK, thats some expensive sambo.
    2. Boarding card - in that the procedure is unnecessarily prescriptive - I disagree with you that it was entirely my fault. I think their policy is poor.
    You print it out and bring it with you, it costs you a sheet of paper and some printer ink, if it saves money in the fare and other people get stuck with the additional cost due to not reading the rules then so be it.
    If you give 200grams leeway then it becomes the new norm, people will take what they can get away with, while it may be an honest mistake on your part everyone else will be discussing on forums what they can get away with bringing on Board
    Depends really, I live in Eindhoven, its 15 minutes by bus from the Airport to the Center, when I fly to Dublin is a longer commute to Cork I guess, but if you were living in Dublin its the same as Aer Lingus.
    5. Flight prices last minute can be extortionate. I once had to fly same day. Air Lingus £200. Ryanair £250. They are not always cheap.

Indeed, its great for the people that book in advance as it keeps the costs low for us, Aer Lingus and other Airlines have been doing that for years.
    6. Permanent inflight announcements. They never stop interrupting. These are not safety related. They are for smokeless cigarettes and similar bullsh$t.
    They make money on sale of that stuff, keeping the fares low.

Only time I've seen the staff being rude, or direct rather was when one of the passengers gave out about having to check in their bag,
    8. No assigned seating - their departure lounge is like a holding pen at a cattle mart because people need to get their seats.

Get the priority boarding if this is such an issue for you, again it costs more but at least you have the option not to have to pay for assigned seating.

I flew KLM, got a sambo and a tiny beer, the flight cost 350 euros return from NL to the UK, thats some expensive sambo.

You print it out and bring it with you, it costs you a sheet of paper and some printer ink, if it saves money in the fare and other people get stuck with the additional cost due to not reading the rules then so be it.

If you give 200grams leeway then it becomes the new norm, people will take what they can get away with, while it may be an honest mistake on your part everyone else will be discussing on forums what they can get away with bringing on Board

Depends really, I live in Eindhoven, its 15 minutes by bus from the Airport to the Center, when I fly to Dublin is a longer commute to Cork I guess, but if you were living in Dublin its the same as Aer Lingus.

Indeed, its great for the people that book in advance as it keeps the costs low for us, Aer Lingus and other Airlines have been doing that for years.

They make money on sale of that stuff, keeping the fares low.

Only time I've seen the staff being rude, or direct rather was when one of the passengers gave out about having to check in their bag,

Get the priority boarding if this is such an issue for you, again it costs more but at least you have the option not to have to pay for assigned seating.

Or rather than putting up with all that stuff, I could just fly BMI in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Great, the less people that show up for ryanair flights with no printouts and oversized luggage, slowing things down and wrecking heads, the better the service gets for the rest of us. Everyone wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

In fact I've travelled round the world on my own.

Oooh big boy, want a cookie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

ItsChecoTime If you have nothing helpful to post, then please don't post

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Can this thread just be locked, its just Ryanair bashing.

Rip off Ireland :rolleyes:

I remember when a single flight with Aerlingus from Dublin to London cost about 400 euro(punt) and could go up to 700 for a last minute flight. You can now get there for less than a train to cork. You don't expect food, which is what you should expect with Aer Lingus too, because they often forget it and a G & T costs about a fiver. Overpriced? How much does it cost to serve a drink at 20,000 feet. Its not much more than the bar in Dublin airport, so I would actually consider it good value considering.
    1. Food - overpriced.

Nitpicking. Bitching for the sake of it. "no leeway on 200grammes over. There is a set weight. Weigh it at home before you leave. Take out some socks. Weigh it again. Dont try and get away with it and then moan when you get fined.

"Long commutes to city centres". Another ridiculous one. Before the new road, it could take you an hour to get to O'Connel street from Dublin Airport. Thats not ryanairs fault thats because of where the air port is. Its about 40 minutes by taxi from Kennedy airport to Time Square, the same is true of Prague, Charles de Gaul-Paris, and many other international airports.

"Rude staff in general". Be a prick to them and they will be a prick back. Going by your comments, a haters gonna hate so you should expect to be badly treated.

"Flight prices last minute can be extortionate. I once had to fly same day. Air Lingus £200. Ryanair £250. They are not always cheap." You call 250 'not cheap' see earlier comment. The reason 250 is now "not cheap" is because of Ryanair and their model.

There is a thread for ryanair complaints, rants and bitching sessions, so I say again, please close this.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Grainne2012

I've used them 4 times in the last 3 weeks, from Dublin and Cork to the UK and back.
    It's definitely become WAY more strict - on the UK legs, the bags were weighed on a portable machine even before we were allowed to go to the gate. EVERYONES bags, so not random. About 10 people were taken aside for extra fee charging.
    After proceeding to the gate, another 4 people were charged as although the bags were under 10kg, they wouldn't fit into the bag-sizer-cage.
    I fly a lot with Ryanair. Its not a scam, OP, as it is detailed in advance, but it is a change in enforcement policy for sure.
    Also, beware the website lately. So many pop-up ads that the transaction times out, and over 3 hrs to wait for confirmations by email last week. Very frustrating when you have to call your cc company to check how many times the card has been hit :(

syklops wrote: »
    Can this thread just be locked, its just Ryanair bashing.

Rip off Ireland :rolleyes:

I remember when a single flight with Aerlingus from Dublin to London cost about 400 euro(punt) and could go up to 700 for a last minute flight. You can now get there for less than a train to cork. You don't expect food, which is what you should expect with Aer Lingus too, because they often forget it and a G & T costs about a fiver. Overpriced? How much does it cost to serve a drink at 20,000 feet. Its not much more than the bar in Dublin airport, so I would actually consider it good value considering.

Nitpicking. Bitching for the sake of it. "no leeway on 200grammes over. There is a set weight. Weigh it at home before you leave. Take out some socks. Weigh it again. Dont try and get away with it and then moan when you get fined.

"Long commutes to city centres". Another ridiculous one. Before the new road, it could take you an hour to get to O'Connel street from Dublin Airport. Thats not ryanairs fault thats because of where the air port is. Its about 40 minutes by taxi from Kennedy airport to Time Square, the same is true of Prague, Charles de Gaul-Paris, and many other international airports.

"Rude staff in general". Be a prick to them and they will be a prick back. Going by your comments, a haters gonna hate so you should expect to be badly treated.

"Flight prices last minute can be extortionate. I once had to fly same day. Air Lingus £200. Ryanair £250. They are not always cheap." You call 250 'not cheap' see earlier comment. The reason 250 is now "not cheap" is because of Ryanair and their model.

There is a thread for ryanair complaints, rants and bitching sessions, so I say again, please close this.

You address most my post in detail before saying the thread should be closed because it's gone off topic. I find that comical. "I demand to have the last word and after I've spoken, nobody else can speak here." :rolleyes:

As for your remebering 400 and 700 pound flights, there are people around who can remeber no electricity and walking to school in bare feet. Things move on. You judge a company relative to its contemporaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Do that :)

I'll fly whoever is cheapest, I think of it as a bus, I don't expect a red carpet and a banquet for nothing inside a metal tube flying through the air at 500mph.

Just went to Berlin last weekend, was cheaper to drive so did that instead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I used Ryanair for a few years with no problems, and that was traveling with 3 children.

However the past 2 years, I have found that Aer Lingus have worked out cheaper for the destination we chose to spend our Summer holidays. Especially now the Credit card fee is more or less unavoidable (I've seen the hassle people on the "Consumer Issues" forum have had trying to apply for the Cash Passport, so it puts me off trying to apply) - there seems very little difference between the 2 airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tony300+

just returned from mallorca to shannon with ryan air. no problem on the way out but on the way back they targeted all the people with kids and tried to bully them into paying for the hand luggage.we had the new tesco bags and all the the single adults with the same bags were not even asked to fit them in the metal frame. it was a joke. that was my 22nd ryan air flight and the first time there was a problem. it was like they were on commission. plus the gate attendent behaved like the ss. i rearranged the bags for the kids and they then fitted. what a joke. some people just paid up. i will look at every option before i use them again. but there are not many as they seem to be allowed a monopoly at irish airports. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Just be thankful that you all made it back in one piece, dont worry too much about extra charges. THREE separate Ryanair flights had to declare MAYDAY emergency distress calls last month in Spain, because they were almost out of fuel. All other airlines in holding patterns for the same amount of time did not have to declare emergency distress calls.

Businesses have to cut costs but where does the madness stop? Ryanair have been sending out memos to their captains questioning them when they land with too much fuel on board. I wonder what other types of insidious pressures are placed on Ryanair pilots.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0816/ryanair-spain.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dockington

tony300+ wrote: »
    just returned from mallorca to shannon with ryan air. no problem on the way out but on the way back they targeted all the people with kids and tried to bully them into paying for the hand luggage.we had the new tesco bags and all the the single adults with the same bags were not even asked to fit them in the metal frame. it was a joke. that was my 22nd ryan air flight and the first time there was a problem. it was like they were on commission. plus the gate attendent behaved like the ss. i rearranged the bags for the kids and they then fitted. what a joke. some people just paid up. i will look at every option before i use them again. but there are not many as they seem to be allowed a monopoly at irish airports. :mad:
    In a lot of cases i would blame the carry on case. I bought one for my hols recently and as i was sharing a large checked in case didnt fill it. I had previously checked the ryanair dimensions and the one i bought, which was advertised as carry on, stated smaller than required dimensions.

Luckily i used one of the ryanair bins that was unattended to check the case b4 boarding. I couldnt fit it in at first. It was only after figuring out the best angle and side to put it in the bin that it fit. I managed to repeat this on check in. It is the front pockets and extension feature that makes it too big, even tho these were not used. imo false advertising on part of manufacturer stating dimensions before taking into account these features. Not ryanairs fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tony300+

your missing the point. the bags did fit, and they targeted the people with children.

Advertisement