Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3:30 or bust!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Yippee...another victim! ;) See you on the start line :)

Re the iron - I had an awful time running for about 3/4 months before I did anything about it. Eventually went to the doctor and Hb level was 8.1; a week later it was 7.7 and I was threatened with a blood transfusion the following week. Was put on a double dose of iron for 3 months (not fun), at the end of which the Hb back up to 10 but the B12 levels had more than halved. Still on a regular dose of iron, vit C and B12. It's a pain in the tush to be quite honest and not sure what the problem is as it's not diet (nor lack of supplements now). Was due back at the start of the month but decided to leave it until after Conn so will update in a couple of weeks. Feel so so so much better now - can't believe I let myself go on feeling so rough. You're right to get it checked out asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

slowsteady wrote: »
    1,096km since New Year, that's a basis for anything you want:p. 6hr target is not unreasonable with the base you have built up and as you say - what could go wrong? Even weather forecast is OK.

Fear of failing is probably the only reason not to go for it. If I were you - go for it!!!

Advice provided without guarantee or warranty - terms and conditions apply:)

Tbh - as per the thread title - the main priority this year is sub 3:30 marathon.
    The fact that my first (of how many??:D) attempts at this will be Cork means that I want to recover reasonably quickly from Connemara to keep the training going.
    When I targeted 6:20 at the start of training I had kinda expected some mishap or fall-off in training but thankfully it really has gone pretty much to plan (including Donadea 50km where I ended up achieving my second fastest marathon without any real effort and a training run of 50km which included Howth Summit).

So, it's a fine balancing act of shifting my target from conservative (6:20) to achievable (6:00) while keeping one eye on recovery afterwards (9 weeks to Cork).
    Therefore, I will go with the 6hrs gang and will be okay with dropping a little time over the stretch from Leenane to the finish if that does happen.
    Besides, it's much more fun to run in a group than be on your own for such a long period of time (Sorry Digger & Ultraman!:D)

claralara wrote: »
    Re the iron - I had an awful time running for about 3/4 months before I did anything about it. Eventually went to the doctor and Hb level was 8.1; a week later it was 7.7 and I was threatened with a blood transfusion the following week. Was put on a double dose of iron for 3 months (not fun), at the end of which the Hb back up to 10 but the B12 levels had more than halved. Still on a regular dose of iron, vit C and B12. It's a pain in the tush to be quite honest and not sure what the problem is as it's not diet (nor lack of supplements now). Was due back at the start of the month but decided to leave it until after Conn so will update in a couple of weeks. Feel so so so much better now - can't believe I let myself go on feeling so rough. You're right to get it checked out asap.

Thanks for that feedback CL!
    Thankfully I've definitely not got the symptoms like you had and my dose is just a month of Galfer tablets (x2/day) and Folic Acid (x1 per day) with the usual VitC supplements before returning for a blood re-test at the start of May. Hopefully that should do the trick. It'll be interesting to keep an eye on this though as i was refused to donate blood a few years back for being iron deficient so it's obviously nothing recent!

Thursday 29th, Friday 30th, Saturday 31st Mar - Rest Days
    So, what appeared as an earache at the start of the week developed into tonsilitis symptoms by Thursday evening with swollen glands and a raw throat. I laid low for the last couple of days in the hope I might recover in time for Sunday. As of this morning the throat is much better, the glands have recovered but I'm still trying to stem the tide of a runny nose so it's about 60:40 likely that I will toe the line tomorrow morning. Pretty damn annoying for this to happen at the worst possible time!:(

Anyhoo, best of luck to everyone else for tomorrow and regardless I'll be there in one guise or another, but hopefully as a runner than a spectator!

Month|No. of Runs|Kms Run
    January|29/31|405.7
    February|24/29|365.6
    March|22/31|310.0
    Total|75/91|1,096.9

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Tough timimg, hopefully you can get to the start line but maybe a Plan A strategy, 6.20, might make more sense now.

Good luck tomorrow either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

belcarra wrote: »
    Thursday 29th, Friday 30th, Saturday 31st Mar - Rest Days
    So, what appeared as an earache at the start of the week developed into tonsilitis symptoms by Thursday evening with swollen glands and a raw throat. I laid low for the last couple of days in the hope I might recover in time for Sunday. As of this morning the throat is much better, the glands have recovered but I'm still trying to stem the tide of a runny nose so it's about 60:40 likely that I will toe the line tomorrow morning. Pretty damn annoying for this to happen at the worst possible time!:(

Shocking timing. Stay positive. Another 24 hours hours might get rid of the rest of it. You've super training done so even if your not 100% you've more than enough in the locker.
    But as I stay positive and see how the land lies in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Bad timing, hope you make it!!! Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wildrhubarb

best of luck belcarra! hope you are able to run it after all your hard work :)

best of luck belcarra! hope you are able to run it after all your hard work :)

I'm still not coming back to run Philly!!

Sunday 31st Mar - Connemarathon Ultra Race.
    Lead-up:
    As noted above I was going into this race with a major cloud of illness hanging over my head from a bout of tonsilitis last week. I felt pretty decent this morning though so I was confident I could give it a bash regardless and see how I get on. I managed to get the last seat on the bus at the Cathedral and within 2 mins we were off.

The race briefing in Peacocke's Hotel involved a few moments to remember past Connemarathon participants who are no longer with us and then there was the 'Right, then right, then right, then...' course description from Ray. We had dropped our bags in the relevant bins beforehand for them to be shuttled to the various aid stations around the course. Myself and Philip decided to band together and that resulted in us having a stash at 6 stations which was to be useful.

The Race:
    A few buses shuttled us down to the race start - a mile back onto the course, at the bottom of the drop from HOTW hill. After a few minutes of pttering about we were off. The intention was to stick with the boards crew for the first while at least in order for a bit of company and the time definitely flew by. before we knew it we were turning right at Recess after 10 miles on the clock. Things were going good and so far no ill effects of the malady from last week. At this point we were head-on into a Northerly breeze that began to push up the HR a little. It had rarely gone above 140bpm til this point but it was now averaging 144bpm.

Before long we were at the Marathon start point and we passed over the mat in 1:56 or thereabouts, with Marhastew cunningly putting in a 5 yard dash in order to be first of the group over the line (Even if she will deny really meaning it:p). Around this time I noticed the HR continuing towards the 150bpm mark and this was beginning to worry me so myself and Philip soon dropped off the tail of the gang to allow a little respite but the damn thing failed to come down by more than a few beats. We tipped along not much further behind the gang for another few kms but by the time we hit Kylemore they were well up the road. We did add Digger to our numbers at this point and the three of us kept it going at a reasonable pace until I had to make an extended toilet break at 35km.

From this point onwards I was on my own so I rolled on into Leenane but it was getting very tough now. The joints were beginning to hurt as were the muscles and I was getting caught short for breathing even though the HR was relatively obedient in the early 140's. I was assuming that this was residual effects from the mentioned tonsilitis. I managed to keep it going past the marathon mark in 4:02 but at this point I had to take a walking break that turned into a sitting break to let myself catch a breath.

Before long Paul who was in the seat beside me on the bus came past so we had a few words and he was off again shortly followed by me. However at this stage I could only walk the hills so it took me quite a while to get out of Leenane but once I was at the top I could never keep running for too long. It was around this stage 2 years ago that I pulled out of the Ultra but I was determined to finish this one way or another this time! Around this time Ultraman shouted me from behind announcing the 6:30 train coming through! He was looking very strong and comfortable at this stage and stopped for a few seconds for a chat which helped me out a bit. I even managed to get him to confirm a free entry for me for next years Donadea 50km as I was the only person wearing the finishers t-shirt on the course. Nice one Anto!

My race then continued in this walk/run vein for the next 10km as far as km53 or so. At the mile 29 aid station I grabbed a bottle of water, but it wasn't until this was all drank that I thought about the 2 nurofen I had on me. I had bever taken nurofen before on a run but had intended to take some now. This lack of focus meant I now had to wait until mile 32 before I 'd get water to take the tablets (I could probably have chanced them without water but decided to wait anyways). So, after 3 more miles and about 38mins I eventually took the gamble on the tablets.

Nothing much happened for 500m but then in the space of the next 100m I felt myself straightening up in my posture, the aching knees issue disappeared and the general nausea I was feeling also vanished. Now when I ran I was much more powerful and able to stay running for much longer. These effects really kicked in now and the next 4km were covered in an average of 5:40/km. I was now passing lots of people and feeling much better.

HOTW cam and went without any extra fuss...I walked parts and ran parts but was concentrating on finishing strongly the last 3km down the far side of the hill to the finish. And this worked as I covered the last 3.5km in an average of 5:29/km. I even managed a really strong effort for the finish line and even after all the earlier struggles finished feeling really happy with myself!

Summary:
    I have mixed feeling about the race today. Really frustrated that I fell ill last week and that it hindered today so much but glad in the way I kept it going anyways and was prepared to finish by any means necessary but even happier that the nurofen kicked in and actually allowed me to enjoy the last 6 or 7 miles rather than trudging through. I think I will be sure to bring a couple of tablets for all future 20+ milers just in case!

The weather was lovely (Although a bit too lovely judging by my sunburrnt face, neck and calves!) the organisation flawless and atmosphere superb.
    The rest of the 6hr bus all did really well so fair play to you all! Marthastew and Claralara have to be seriously looking at 5:30 for next year!!:D

January|29/31|405.7
    February|24/29|365.6
    March|22/31|310.0
    April|1/1|63.7
    Total|76/92|1,159.6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

fair play to you for completing the course .

No way would I take ibuprofen during an event, theres a risk of renal failure apparently

that said apparently everyone does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Sterling effort. Illness really through a spanner in the works.

I have to say, knowing how tough a full marathon is in the the fullest of health, its quite a feat to get through another half on top of that with the effects of tonsilitis.

Fair play. Hope the apres-run was a little easier!

Next stop.... 3.29 in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Very well done man... Running that distance while not 100% takes serious willpower and bottle so hats off........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

You toughed it out after what was an unfortunate pre race illness, great achievement and enjoyed the banter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Great run on Sunday. You Ultra runners are a breed apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Narcotic abuse aside, great run, well done!:P

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    fair play to you for completing the course .

No way would I take ibuprofen during an event, theres a risk of renal failure apparently

that said apparently everyone does it.

Thanks Bonaparte.

I would be interested in hearing more about the renal failure risks if you have any links as I checked the directions for use and there was no indication of anything like that. It would certainly be useful/clever of me to find out a bit more about it if there is something to it!

Sterling effort. Illness really through a spanner in the works.

I have to say, knowing how tough a full marathon is in the the fullest of health, its quite a feat to get through another half on top of that with the effects of tonsilitis.

Fair play. Hope the apres-run was a little easier!

Next stop.... 3.29 in Cork!

The apres run consisted of me driving back to Dublin with a diversion to Naas en-route!!
    Alas, my lack of planning meant I didn't get to enjoy the scoops in Gaillimh with the rest of the gang...next time hopefully...maybe a few sub 3:30 celebratory drinks in Cork!:)

Thanks for all the nice cooments folks when in reality all I did was complete the distance. I'd feel they were more merited had I managed to run to my real potential in the race but I suppose I did keep it going even though things weren't feeling very great.

Anyways, it's 48 hrs later and my legs are still in bits from DOMS, something i haven't experienced in nearly a year!! I'm hoping they freshen up a little bit and that I can manage a few gentle, recovery runs at the end of the week. I guess it's time to file Sunday away now and focus on the main event of Cork on June 4th from now on.

Methinks a revised 8.5wk plan is in the offing!
    IMG-20120401-WA0001.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again buddy! Great run in tough ole circumstances!

Love the finish line photo.

Has the subnurn turned into a lovely farmer's tan yet?! :)

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Has the subnurn turned into a lovely farmer's tan yet?! :)

It would probably be worth the suffering if there was any chance of a tan evolving but unfortunately with my pasty white skin it's simply out of the question!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done Belcarra.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Well done, great acheivement just to finish,you should be well proud of yourself.
    Thank God there was no drug test at the end:D
    Hope to see in Cork

Monday 2nd Apr - Wedesday 4th Apr - Rest Days
    Took a few days off to let the legs recover. Very stiff Mon and Tues.

Thursday 5th Apr - 5.0km Recovery Run
    This was due to be a normal 8km recovery run as a check on the legs after Sunday. However, the legs started off pretty tired and stiff and only really got worse. My left quad was getting soreer as the run went on and my right hamstring was quite tight. I decided to be smart after a the planned 8km. A couple of more days off is required yet methinks!

Friday 6th Apr - Sunday 8th Apr - Rest Days
    Took a couple of extra rest days after stiffness and soreness on Thursday.

Monday 9th Apr - 7.6km VO2Max 3 x 800m Interval Session
    Headed to the Park today for a run. Decided en route to give the legs a bit of effort to see how they are so went for 3km warm-up and then put in 3 x 800m @ 5km pace (4:00/km). The first one was too fast (3:50/km) and half way through I knew it as I could feel the extra effort. Took it easier for the second one (4:04/km) which was into a bit of a breeze and then decided to finish it off with one more where I pretty much nailed it (4:01/km). I decided to leave it at that then as I didn't want to do too much speedwork too soon.

I have an 8km race down home next weekend so it will be interesting to see how I have progressed since Tuam back in January (35:53). I'll be hoping for sub 35mins but any PB will do considering I'm only back in to the speedier stuff now.

January|29/31|405.7
    February|24/29|365.6
    March|22/31|310.0
    April|3/9|76.3
    Total|78/100|1,172.2

Tuesday 10th Apr - 14.0km Tempo Run
    Firstly, my HRM failed to ever get going for this run which i thought was odd. Then my watch was telling me to delete lap data, so I did, mid-run. Finally, when I finished and stopped the watch and then pressed reset to store it as per normal I then discovered it had indeed wiped the data rather than stored it!:mad:
    I'll put all these little foibles down to an anomaly and hope that everything is fine again for the next run. If not though it could be off to the knackers yard with this Garmin!

So then, what was supposed to be a GA run turned into a tempo run as I fell into a fast-ish pace and failed to slow down until 11km where I felt a niggle in my right knee so I slowed down from my av pace of 5:02/km to 5:25/km av pace for remaining 3km back to the car.
    I really must get a grip on what GA Pace should be...

January|29/31|405.7
    February|24/29|365.6
    March|22/31|310.0
    April|4/10|90.3
    Total|79/101|1,186.2

Update on Training Paces:

Session:|Pace/km:|Pace/mile:
    VO2Max|4:07|6:38
    LT|4:25|7:06
    Marathon Pace|4:58|8:00
    LSR|5:30|8:51
    General Aerobic|5:45|9:15
    Recovery Run|6:00|9:39

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Good running in Connemara. All this mileage (or kilometreage :)) will give you a great base for a crack at sub 3:30 in Cork.
    Update on Training Paces:

Session:|Pace/km:|Pace/mile:
    VO2Max|4:07|6:38
    LT|4:25|7:06
    Marathon Pace|4:58|8:00
    LSR|5:30|8:51
    General Aerobic|5:45|9:15
    Recovery Run|6:00|9:39

Are you using a scientific approach to calculating these paces? I would have thought LSR and GA pace would be pretty much the same.

beeduybe wrote: »
    Good running in Connemara. All this mileage (or kilometreage ) will give you a great base for a crack at sub 3:30 in Cork.

Are you using a scientific approach to calculating these paces? I would have thought LSR and GA pace would be pretty much the same.

Cheers Beeduybe!

Hmmm, you may have a point about the paces!
    Taking the definitions from P&D -
    They say LSR should be 10%-20% slower than Marathon Pace but that GA should be 15%-25% slower than MP.
    (I made a mistake with LSR v GA by reversing them in my table)

So, working off 5:00/km for MP gives:
    LSR - 5:00 + (10-20)% = 5:30/km -> 6:00/km ~ 5:45/km
    GA - 5:00 + (15-25)% = 5:45/km -> 6:15/km ~ 6:00/km

I'm fine with the LSR pace there (5:45/km) but GA (6:00/km) seems waaay too slow for my liking! I would usually do these around 5:30/km and it has always seemed fine - I never usually get tired from it so I'm assuming it's fair enough to continue at this pace.
    Plus, it'd be too close to recovery pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I'm fine with the LSR pace there (5:45/km) but GA (6:00/km) seems waaay too slow for my liking! I would usually do these around 5:30/km and it has always seemed fine - I never usually get tired from it so I'm assuming it's fair enough to continue at this pace.
    Plus, it'd be too close to recovery pace!

I was convinced the book was wrong when I started doing GA sessions. I usually found it hard to slow down in the first few kms before settling into the pace. Maybe do them as a hill session!

• Advertisement

I think as long as you're getting the extra miles in during GA runs and aren't adversely affecting any other hard sessions then you're probably doing it ok.
    If you find the GA sessions impacting upon an LSR or an Interval session then cut back the effort on the GA run next time is what I would take from it.
    Therefore, a hill session may be a bit high on the effort levels in this instance!!

Advertisement