Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3:30 or bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

Any idea what your ten mile time was in that HM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Congrats on the PB. Great running. Does that mean the pressure is on me for Sunday now….:eek::confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    Any idea what your ten mile time was in that HM?

I hadn't thought of that but I see from GC that I passed through 16.13km (10m = 16.09km) in 1:12:14 so yip a big PB with that but I have a point of only counting official race distances for PB reasons.
    (I have a big dirty rotten 15 miler time that I need to fix soon...I could use the 2:12:59 I recorded in Connemara Ultra for example but I'd prefer to wait until I race this distance itself.)

I think I remember Woddle asking why wouldn't I target breaking 70mins for 10 miles a few months back and I thought he was mad but looking at that data I think whenever I do another 10 miler I will indeed be aiming for sub 70.
    Cheers for that Bonaparte!

claralara wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB. Great running. Does that mean the pressure is on me for Sunday now….:eek::confused::eek:

Seeing as I won't be there to pace you like St. Patrick's 5km I think i should get you to download my race onto your Garmin and use it as a virtual racing partner;)!

I'm very happy with my time but you are that little bit ahead of me I think so you should be aiming for the sub 1:35! Kildare is probably a little tougher of a course I think so don't worry if you don't break the mark but I think you are wasting your time if you target any slower. Aim high!

Ssssshhh! I am keeping my trap firmly shut on this one. It could be a massacre out there! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Ssssshhh! I am keeping my trap firmly shut on this one. It could be a massacre out there! :eek:

That will be a first! ;)

Well done on the HM time Belcarra, you've just lowered the bar :)... CL sub 1:35 on Sunday, digger sub 1:30 in the next one, before we know it we'll be running 75 minute halfs :D;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    before we know it we'll be running 75 minute halfs :D;)

...any day now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done Bc,nice run...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Congrats on the half PB. Not only are you racking up a nice collection of PB's, everything is pointing towards a sub 3.30 too. Your training is paying off in spades.

What are you hoping for on Sunday? I'd imagine your half time converts in to well under 35 on McMillan?

What are you hoping for on Sunday? I'd imagine your half time converts in to well under 35 on McMillan?

Plan was to go for sub 34mins on Sunday but I am after going for a LSR this evening so that may scupper those plans.
    Hopefully will be at least a 34:xx anyways...

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »

Plan was to go for sub 34mins on Sunday but I am after going for a LSR this evening so that may scupper those plans.

My 5mile PB is 34:47 from Raheny.... That is all ;)

Thursday 10th May - 9.0km Recovery Run
    Gently Recovery Run which was very effortless thankfully. That massage after the race really worked on the legs!

Friday 11th May - 32.8km LSR
    Met Philip in the Park @ 4pm for this run. We decided to forego any MP miles today and just aim to complete the run at an average of 5:30/km pace. We did one big loop of 17km before returning to the cars for a quick replenishment before pretty much repeating the lap a second time. Got caught in a couple of downpours but generally the weather was decent. The legs started to wane over the last 8km or so but I was very happy with how they held up overall so close to the HM. Saw out the final few kms and was happy to get back to the car!

No more tired than most LSRs which is a good thing but probably a little too much for a really good run on Sunday, so even though I hope to break 34 I think I may need to be pregmatic and be happy to settle with a 34:xx this time round. Todays run was more crucial to the bigger picture!

Month|No. of Runs|Kms Run
    January|29/31|405.7
    February|24/29|365.6
    March|22/31|310.0
    April|21/30|277.5
    May|9/11|146.2
    Total|100/126|1,539.7

Anyone available to pace a man to 34:46??
    Anyone...?

That should be fun - us both battling against each other's times on the same day but on different courses and lengths!
    Don't be tardy posting how ya get on!
    (Where's Brian with the odds??)

Provisional results of 34:45 suggest I'm leading 1-0 in our virtual head to head today!

And still the PB's flow.
    Fair play. Anymore races between now and your marathon PB in cork?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Provisional results of 34:45 suggest I'm leading 1-0 in our virtual head to head today!

1-1 now :P

And still the PB's flow.
    Fair play. Anymore races between now and your marathon PB in cork?!

I have the Docklands 5km on Tuesday week where I should be a fair bit fresher leading into it (albeit off the back of a stag the weekend before!).
    Will be doing my utmost for sub 20 at that!

What's in line for yourself?

I have the Docklands 5km on Tuesday week where I should be a fair bit fresher leading into it (albeit off the back of a stag the weekend before!).
    Will be doing my utmost for sub 20 at that!

What's in line for yourself?

Ah the dodgy achiles has been causing trouble so I've been giving it a break. It's been very slow to respond to treatment. Haven't done anything more than a couple of km's on threadmill to see if it's coming along for the past fortnight. All very frustrating. That said it seems to be nearly there.

I'm down to do that same 5k in the docklands. Will see closer to the time if I race or just jog around with the big gang from work who are doing it.

I did sign up to DCM and the race series though so I am expecting to get fit soon!!

Saturday 12th May - 5.0km Recovery Run
    Had to get the train West for a Communion today so managed to throw an easy 5km into the mix before the shenanagins began. Train back up again in the evening made for a hectic day!

Sunday 12th May - 8.1km Terenure 5 Miler Race
    Started off the day with a few exercises to try and relieve some sciatica I was experiencing...better get on top of the core exercises again!:rolleyes:
    The day seemed nice and briight from my apt but it wasn't until I was en route to the race that I noticed how windy it really was. Immediately I felt sub 34 would be very difficult. Despite all the hard running over the past few days the legs were still feeling ok so I decided my startegy would be to go out quickish and see how things go.

Just before the off I spotted Woddle about 10 people over but it was a bit too packed and near the start to try call over to him. Race kicked off and we rounded the first corner and were on the Templeogue Rd in no time. I decided to push on here as it was downwind and the only place where time could be saved. Just after the Rathdown Motors turn the 1 mile marker appeared but by now we were running into the guts of the wind. I took shelter where I could find it before kicking on to the next group ahead. Passed through the first 2km in 4:04 & 4:08.

Kms 3&4 continued into the wind but only got worse! It was a matter of putting the head down, gritting the teeth and pushing on. These kms were 4:18 & 4:28 - The 4th km being particularly full-on into the wind. Thankfully we were back onto Templeogue Rd again for a bit of respite and the times came back down to 4:15 & 4:16. So, about 9 or 10secs slower on the second lap and I was beginning to feel the legs waning. It was now a matter of hanging on for a sub 35 and hopefully CL's 34:47 time if I could.

The last 2km were really tough. A few runners went by but I wasn't able to keep with them and shelter, instead I was alone against the wind. Once I saw the 4 mile marker I knew it would all be over in about 8 mins. Kms 7&8 resulted in 4:28 & 4:31. 13 secs longer than the first lap. When I saw the Terenure College wall I knew I was close to the finish so whatever i had I gave but there wasn't a huge response in my speed! I had it in my head that I took about 10secs to cross the mat at the beginning so my target on the finish clock was now 34:56. Never have I experienced time moving so quickly as I pegged it for the last 200m. I knew it was going to be close so as I crossed the line it said 34:57 on the clock! I was sure I'd simply equalled rather than beaten the goal time but checking my watch a few moments later the time said 34:45:). A while later an the Championchip huys had the results updated on their site and official chip time read 34:46 - 1 second better than Claralara!!:D

So, another pb (Previous 36:40). Not quite as impressive as I originally wanted but given tired legs and the wind that was out there today I'm pretty happy with an almost 2min PB. The event itself was great with a very flat course (closest to a hill was the speed bumps and even them you can avoid!!). When I did this race last year (On a different course but just as flat) I took 38:57 so I fully expect to return next year for a bash at 30:30!!

Sunday 12th May - 9.6km Recovery Run
    Called into the Phoenix Park on the way home for a 6 mile wind down run. Even windier up there in parts but felt good!!

Month|No. of Runs|Kms Run
    January|29/31|405.7
    February|24/29|365.6
    March|22/31|310.0
    April|21/30|277.5
    May|12/13|168.9
    Total|108/134|1,562.4

Just had to tidy up the total sessions vs the monthly sessions in the table also!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

avoid!!).

Sunday 12th May - 9.6km Recovery Run
    Called into the Phoenix Park on the way home for a 6 mile wind down run.

:DSomebody thinking of the 1000mile challenge????

Well done on yet ANOTHER PB, you have had a super year, very, very well deserved

• Advertisement

Well done (but I think CL beat her 5 mile PB on her first 5 miles today :p).

Anyway there is another one in Dunboyne in a few weeks (BHAA) it is meant to be a very fast course. Given your half and 5k times you should be well capable of breaking 34 minutes on a fast course with fresh legs.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well done (but I think CL beat her 5 mile PB on her first 5 miles today :p).

Anyway there is another one in Dunboyne in a few weeks (BHAA) it is meant to be a very fast course. Given your half and 5k times you should be well capable of breaking 34 minutes on a fast course with fresh legs.

Cheers and absolutely agree. I have no doubt I'll nail a sub 34. Possibly even 33:30-ish. I did 34 dead for 8km a few weeks ago but given that these races are really part of training for Cork the real targeted times will have to wait until July/August.

Is that Dunboyne race on the 29th? That may be a little close to Cork a week later?? What do you think Meno?

Cheers and absolutely agree. I have no doubt I'll nail a sub 34. Possibly even 33:30-ish. I did 34 dead for 8km a few weeks ago but given that these races are really part of training for Cork the real targeted times will have to wait until July/August.

Is that Dunboyne race on the 29th? That may be a little close to Cork a week later?? What do you think Meno?

Yeah it might be tight for cork alright, but you seem to be someone who recovers remarkably quickly!!
    Do what you think is right yourself.

Distance:|Pre-2011 PB:|Current PB(2012 PBs in Bold):|End 2012 target:
    2m|N/A|13:22|12:50
    3m|N/A|20:27|20:30
    5km|24:19|20:33|19:59
    8km|38:17|34:00|34:49
    5 Mile|38:19|34:46|34:59
    10km|47:55|43:16|42:59
    10 Mile|01:22:16|01:17:17|01:14:59
    ½ Marathon|01:44:31|01:35:30|01:37:29
    15 Mile|02:25:35|02:25:35|01:59:59
    ¾ Marathon|N/A|02:39:45|02:34:59
    Marathon| 04:21:40|03:51:30|03:29:59
    50km|N/A|04:43:58|04:44:59
    39.3 Mile|N/A|06:37:53|06:20:00

Well done on the PB! I was keeping an eye out for you but didn't see you.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah it might be tight for cork alright, but you seem to be someone who recovers remarkably quickly!!
    Do what you think is right yourself.

I think I'll leave it for a few weeks...don't want to take any chances to hinder the A-Race!

Thanks.
    Same here - Where were you stationed?
    There was a huge amount of marshals on the course - fair play to Sportsworld!

Thanks.
    Same here - Where were you stationed?
    There was a huge amount of marshals on the course - fair play to Sportsworld!

I was at the Templeville/Templeogue Rd junction - I must have been doing an important job as they gave me a red flag ;)

Quick update: Sick for the past 3 days so haven't managed to get out for any runs.
    Last big LSR in my plan tomorrow but not sure I'll be fit for it :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Quick update: Sick for the past 3 days so haven't managed to get out for any runs.
    Last big LSR in my plan tomorrow but not sure I'll be fit for it :-(

Unlucky Belcarra, everyone seems to be sick at the minute. My advice would be (and I learnt this the hard way) don't push it. Better off taking a few days off to fully recover than running when you're still not feeling right, especially when it's only a training run, still plenty of time to go yet and you're in great shape, you don't want to do any long term damage.

Advertisement