Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3:30 or bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Clocking up some good miles there. Best of luck next weekend in Donadea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

You've sustained some incredible mileage over the last while. I'm very curious to see how you get on next weekend. Are you feeling confident? You've definitely put in the hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

belcarra wrote: »
    (There is a medal, isn't there??)

m
    a small one;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

outforarun wrote: »
    You've sustained some incredible mileage over the last while. I'm very curious to see how you get on next weekend. Are you feeling confident? You've definitely put in the hours.
    Thanks, yeah training has been going well alright so hopefully it carries over into this weekend! I was feeling very confident about 10 days ago but a little bit less so at the moment but that may just be a simple case of pre-race nerves!

ultraman1 wrote: »
    a small one;)

Good idea Ultraman, I reckon after 50km I'll probably struggle to lift even a regular medal!!

• Advertisement

Sunday, 12th Feb - 6.4km Recovery Run
    Didn't get much of a chance for a run today so had to shoehorn a shorter than normal recovery run into the evening. First mile I was falling over my feet as I was really tired beforehand but eventually settled into some sort of rhythm.

Monday, 13th Feb - 9.0km Recovery Run
    Got out for this straight after work. Never really enjoy these runs as the roads are choc-a-block and so crossing traffic proves a little more difficult. Also, more pedestrians on the paths means less space for me to run and it amazes me the amount of people who insist on taking up the full width of the paths! Anyways, felt a little better on this run so regained some distance from last nights truncated effort.

Kmtd: 568.8
    Km-Feb: 165.1km
    Runs: 40/44*

*I think I missed a day somewhere in the runs line...so far I have missed 4 runs this year and by my calculation 31 days in Jan + 13 days in Feb = 44 days!

Tuesday, 14th Feb - 15.5km GA Run with strides
    Last longish run before Donadea so I was aiming for 10 miles but came up a little short. Close enough not to care! I threw in a few strides just to let my legs know that they are not monospeed machines and that there is another pace outside of 5:35 per km!

Kmtd: 584.3
    Km-Feb: 180.6km
    Runs: 41/45

In other matters, I came across this graph I did late last year after NYC & Philly marathons. I think it highlights the value of pacing a race at the correct effort level!
    Essentially, NYC was done well with a nice gradual increase in Av HR from a sustainable beginning. Philly however was always too fast from the start and that shows in the elevated Av HR which nosedives at km30 and never recovers!
    It may be interesting reading for some...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Out of interest (are we sad or what!), what are your HR training zones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

How far ahead timewise were you in Philly compared with NY when hitting the 34k mark?

Out of interest (are we sad or what!), what are your HR training zones?

Aptly enough 150bpm is my Marathon Pace...but I only really zoned in on this after the races! :rolleyes:
    HR%20Zones.jpg

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    How far ahead timewise were you in Philly compared with NY when hitting the 34k mark?

Race:|30km:|34km:|Finish time:
    Philly|2:32:31|2:56:11|4:00:24
    NYC|2:40:17|3:02:05|3:51:09
    Difference:|7:46|5:54|-9:15

The real damage (timewise) started @ km30.

Race:|30km:|34km:|Finish time:
    Philly|2:32:31|2:56:11|4:00:24
    NYC|2:40:17|3:02:05|3:51:09
    Difference:|7:46|5:54|-9:15

The real damage (timewise) started @ km30.

Interesting reading. Maybe Philly is your true marathon HR effort but you just weren't well trained at it plus you would have had NY in the legs (I think NY was first?)
    For your next marathon prep I'd be doing a lot more miles at Philly effort and getting the body used to it.

Woddle wrote: »
    Interesting reading. Maybe Philly is your true marathon HR effort but you just weren't well trained at it plus you would have had NY in the legs (I think NY was first?)
    For your next marathon prep I'd be doing a lot more miles at Philly effort and getting the body used to it.

I intend to be trying for Philly pace levels but with NYC HR levels hopefully!!

I appreciate what you are saying regarding the marathon in the legs and that was certainly a factor in the explosion after 30km!! However, that was probably factored into the elevated HR levels right from the start (Perhaps as much as 60-70% of the increased HR). I'm thinking the increased pace would have accounted for the remaining HR increase (remaining 30-40%). Either way I think the Philly HR level was unsustainable for me personally. I could probably reach that pace off a lower HR level given fresh legs (& lungs!).

This weekends 'saunter' in Donadea will give a little more insight on the issue. I will probably go at approx 140bpm for the 1st half and leave it until afterwards to see how it behaves versus pace over the second half after the race. I'm hoping it won't vary too much or increase significantly over the course of the race...i.e. I want to recover quickly so won't be 'racing' the race, and therefore, hope not to go near the detrimental level of 150bpm+!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

In other matters, I came across this graph I did late last year after NYC & Philly marathons. I think it highlights the value of pacing a race at the correct effort level!
    Essentially, NYC was done well with a nice gradual increase in Av HR from a sustainable beginning. Philly however was always too fast from the start and that shows in the elevated Av HR which nosedives at km30 and never recovers!

Interesting. Hadd suggested that a flat graph is optimal. See an example here:

http://www.letsrun.com/2008/images/Hadd_M_Graph.jpg

This comes from here: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=2375989&page=1 and the explanation as to why a flat graph is better, and the reason for the nosedive (a sure sign your race is done) I have pasted below. On following posts on that thread he posted examples of a slowly rising graph for a 10m race I think and a more rapidly rising one for a shorter race. Hope you don't mind me filling up your log with this, but it's very good reading IMO!

Quote from Hadd "I have mentioned earlier that an HR graph for a good marathon performance is a “flat” graph. This can readily be seen from the attached graphic. "Flat" is to be taken as meaning "not rising over the course of the event", although as can be seen, HR does fluctuate within a narrow HR-band. This is to be expected.

From the 5k point onwards in the race, it can be seen that the HR remains secure within a HR-zone between 175-180 bpm.

Only for a total of less than 2 minutes in ~2hrs 40 does the HR rise above 180. It hits 182 at 3 points in the race, but drops instantly back under 180. The combined total time over 180 bpm is less than 2 mins in the whole race.

Once the race passes the 5k point, the HR does not drop under 175 for the entire remainder of the race; not for one single second.

This particular athlete has an HRmax of 196.
    Therefore the lower limit of the Marathon HRzone of 175 bpm = 89.28% of HRmax and the upper limit of 180 bpm = 91.83% of HRmax

Therefore the athlete runs the entire way (after initial 5k) with the HR fluctuating within the narrow band between 89.2—91.8% HRmax.

The average HR (mean) is 176.84 bpm. This = 90.22% of HRmax. (for interests sake, the average HR (mode) is 177 bpm).
    Therefore the HR fluctuates only ~1% either side of the mean throughout the race: never higher, never lower.

Let me make the point here that this athlete did not run "according to HR". This athlete most definitely did not run constantly looking at the HRM and adjusting pace accordingly. From memory, the runner cannot recall looking at the HRM more than twice in the whole race... if that often.

The runner ran this marathon purely and simply as a race. The HRM was worn simply for my benefit and in no way to guide or influence performance. It was worn so that I could learn what actually happens during a high-quality marathon performance. Antonio has already remarked that too many studies are drawn from sedentary individuals and extrapolated (with questionable conclusions) to elite runners. This was an opportunity for me to "observe" a genuine high quality performance under actual conditions.

The Green Line on the graph is set at 177 bpm and represents this runner's Lactate Threshold (LT) which corresponds to 2 mmol/l blood lactate ([La]b). It can thus be noted that 2mM is the effort level this athlete can maintain for a full marathon. This is in line with the published literature on world class performances.

Readers should not confuse what I term LT as being that intensity which correspondes to "maximal effort for one hour". The sports science terminology can often be confusing (with LT, OBLA, MLSS, LTP, OPLA, AT, IAT, etc).

Those whom I have advised online for some years will know that the training model I use mandates two "thresholds". Up until very recently I referred to these as Aerobic Threshold (AeT) and Anaerobic Threshold (AnT). Given that this terminology is now recognised to be both inaccurate and misleading, in line with the literature I now use the (respective) terms Lactate Threshold (LT) and Lactate Turnpoint (LTP). The former (LT) corresponds extremely well (and is useful) with training for marathon performance, while the Lactate Turnpoint correlates better with MaxLaSS (Maximum Lactate Steady State) and thus HM and 10k performances.

So, just to repeat; the Green Line on the Marathon Graph corresponds to this runner's LT. It should be noted that it also corresponds almost exactly to this runner's meanHRavMarathon (177 HR vs 176.84 bpm)

To answer some FAQs:

Why is a flat graph optimal in a marathon?
    We can look at this in some depth, but a flat graph generally signifies a steady power output over the whole race: an even distribution of fuel. Obviously since this runner averaged ~90% HRmax, she could have run the whole race at any effort level below that (e.g.: 85% HRmax) and still have had a "flat" graph... so a flat graph on its own is not indicative of the best possible marathon performance on any given day. As much as possible the athlete wants to maintain a flat graph at the highest possible percentage of HRmax.

Here we must again note the quality of performance (sub-2:40 female or sub-2:20 male). Those runners unable to achieve this level of performance may need to revise (down) the estimated percent of HRmax they can sustain for the marathon, and work the numbers accordingly. The evidence of this graph is not to be taken as proof that 90% HRmax performance is achievable by everyone.

Some data has been posted in the past on LetsRun representing athletes I have advised online and demonstrating average marathon HRs of 88-89% HRmax. That these are lower percentages of HRmax than the example given in this graph may be partly explained by the fact that they are lower in terms of quality of performance (i.e.: slower than sub-2:40 female and sub-2:20 male).

Conversely I have every reason to believe that Paula Radcliffe maintained ~92% HRmax when she ran the far superior marathon performance of 2:15 (AM Jones, 2006). Were the HR data available, I would also expect Ryan Hall to have done close to the same in London ‘08 (>91% HRmax).

So the percent of HRmax that can be sustained for a marathon may ultimately be linked to the time duration of the performance. Whatever the level, if well-trained, the runner should always allow a 5-bpm HRmarathon zone to run in (e.g.: 171-176 - and in this case the runner might hear me tell them pre-race, "you never want to see 170 or 177 at any time after 5k.")

Why is a flat graph optimal in a marathon?
    An HR graph that falls over the course of a marathon should mean only one of two things:
    a) the runner is winning comfortably and can afford to slow down (thus the running pace also slows along with HR). I have a graph which can demonstrate exactly this.
    b) the runner is beginning to experience severe drop in muscle glycogen and the amount of muscle mass that can be recruited is dropping (thru fuel exhaustion). Lower recruited muscle mass will require reduced blood flow, so cardiac output drops. Obviously the running pace will also drop and the runner will slow in the later stages of the race."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Larry (and sorry Belcarra) I'm surprised that this article does not mention heart rate drift in any form at all, e.g. a HR graph trending upwards. Before I go digging into the thread you linked, is there a reason this isn't mentioned? Is this sub-optimal, because it indicates you are starting too easy, and working your way towards greater efficiency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Interesting post LB. I had previously assumed a HR steadily rising would be optimal but my 2 best paced marathons (dublin 2010 and Barcelona 2011) had a steady HR thoughout. In fact in DCM 2010 my HR was slightly lower over the 2nd half despite a slight negative split. I have to say that in Dublin I felt like I left a bit on the course as I never got it tough except for at the start.
    In Barcelona I started to get it very tight over the last 1.5 miles and the HR rose for this last 10 minutes but the pace dropped of a little.

The thing I find hard to believe about hadd ( I agree a little with belcarra here) is the high Av HR he expects me to run a marathon at. My max is around 185 and my 'good' marathons had av HRs of 153 and 154. Hadd would see me going at an av HR of around 165 but any time I have ran with a HR over 160 in a marathon I have blown up spectacularly (DCM 2009 and Berlin 2011).
    I'd be interested on your views on this.

Wednesday, 15th Feb - 8.0km Easy Run with 2.0km @ pace
    Took this at a handy pace most of the way but decided to take advantage of the downhill section and ran at about 10k pace for about 2km.

Kmtd: 592.3
    Km-Feb: 188.6km
    Runs: 42/46

menoscemo wrote: »
    The thing I find hard to believe about hadd ( I agree a little with belcarra here) is the high Av HR he expects me to run a marathon at. My max is around 185 and my 'good' marathons had av HRs of 153 and 154. Hadd would see me going at an av HR of around 165 but any time I have ran with a HR over 160 in a marathon I have blown up spectacularly (DCM 2009 and Berlin 2011).

Interesting debate indeed and it'll be very good to hear more feedback.
    I'd be agreeing with Meno there about blowing up at a HR below what Hadd recommends but he did say that it was more geared towards elite athletes rather than muckers like me!!

I intend to approach Cork from a target HR of approx 148-150bpm in a bid for sub 3:30. Regardless of my finish time if I find that I have a flat HR trend or even a rising HR trend at the finish then I will hope to increase my target HR for the next marathon and approach (but hopefully not exceed) the optimal HR level.
    This could take a while...!!

Hi Larry (and sorry Belcarra) I'm surprised that this article does not mention heart rate drift in any form at all, e.g. a HR graph trending upwards. Before I go digging into the thread you linked, is there a reason this isn't mentioned?

Krusty,

Hadd spoke a lot about cardiac drift, in relation to heat dispersal IIRC. But how he used this (I think!) was that say your predicted marathon HR was 175 (max HR (195) - 20* beats) then the pace you run in training @ 170 bpm would be a very accurate predictor of your marathon pace. So we tend to think 'if marathon HR is 175 and I can run 6:50 pace at 175bpm in training I'll run 6:50 pace in the marathon'. Then we head off at 6:50 pace and run out of steam. According to Hadd it is the pace we hit in training at 170bpm (in this example) that is the pace we should be going out at, to take into account the extra 5bpm the heart will have to work at purely to disperse of heat that will be a problem in a long race like a marathon, but not shorter races.

Still, I don't understand how running at a pace that equals 170bpm in training (which presumably would be a HR of 170 or maybe even less due to taper?), to end up with an average marathon HR of 175 (due to cardiac drift) would not result in a graph rising slowly from 170 to 178 or so. Perhaps it's simply that a graph rising from 170-178 over 26m is such a slow rise that it is more or less flat. Whereas if you started at a pace that equals training pace of 175 it would be too fast due to the heat dispersal factor and so HR would rise a lot more, like go from 175-190 resulting in a noticeably rising graph (before dropping massively when glycogen is used up) . As a matter of interest I wonder do Meno and belcarra know how much there average HR rose by from mile 3 to mile 25 say?

* 15-20 bpm less than HR max should be trainable, varies depending on individual, but if in doubt might be safer to aim for the 20 initially!

So while he talked about (and acknowledged and respected) cardiac drift he still did not expect HR to rise during an ideal marathon race (except for maybe sprint finish). So sorry, I don't understand it fully, but it seems like a flat graph is ideal in Hadd's opinion.
    Is this sub-optimal, because it indicates you are starting too easy, and working your way towards greater efficiency?

I think it is suboptimal, not because you are starting too easy, but because you are staring too 'hard' (not in terms of pace but in terms of glycogen use at that pace, albeit a relatively easy pace)! Or in better words, not running economically enough at the start. Using too much glycogen as a ratio to fat in the fuel mix. The more glycogen that's used the more oxygen is needed to deal with it in the mitochondria, so HR rises to supply the extra oxygen. So if you are using too much glycogen at the start (even at a very comfortable pace, it's not that you're going too 'fast' just that for the pace you are going you are using too much glycogen as a result of your muscle fibre type and/or the way you have been training) HR will gradually rise more and more as you go on. So a HR rising is not a great sign (for marathon).

Now like you said, if you do start too slow, then it will rise if you increase the effort. That's probably why Hadd would give them a 5bpm zone - don't let it go below a certain rate or above a certain rate (after the first 5k). Not to go below to make sure you're not going easy on yourself like you alluded to and not to go above to make sure you don't go anaerobic and use up your glycogen 32 to 460 times faster than you would if using glycogen aerobically or fat as the fuel source respectively. This would obviously be catastrophic considering the glycogen is in limited supply. You have this down-pat in any case, that is your strength, running very economically, using glycogen sparingly and a great glycogen:fat fuel mix. An aerobic monster; my weakness :)

Hadd explained (in the quote I pasted) that a well trained person could race a marathon at 15-20bpm lower than max HR, or at 89-90%. BUT that not as well trained runners would be at a lower %. Not because they are not elite, but because they are not well trained. (Now the elite are probably elite because they are well trained, but you hopefully see the point I'm trying to make). By well trained it means being an aerobic monster. Not dropping race pace by more than 16s a mile for every double in race distance (if your 10k is 6:00 pace, your HM is 6:16, your Marathon pace is 6:32 - as an aerobically weak runner I think I'm 5:42, 6:07, 6:38; I'd wager aerobically well conditioned runners like Krusty and abhainn would have a much tighter relationship). My 'strength' (it's all relative, not blowing a horn!) is probably my lactate tolerance, while my weakness is my aerobic threshold. So I'm currently working on this weakness. Mcmillan talks about a sweet spot, runners who have a sweet spot at aerobic threshold (and so will be best at marathon) and others who have a sweet spot at lactate threshold or somewhere else and so will be better at other races. Probably has a lot to do with whether you're fast twitch or slow twitch type (I'm fast twitch). Hadd even said that you'd wonder why a fast twitcher would even try to improve as a marathoner....Certainly well worth reading the whole Hadd/Cabraal thread as it explicitly states how training should differ (particularly speed training) depending on whether you are slow or fast twitch. A key difference which I think is largely overlooked as we all jump in and try and do the same sessions.

So as to my views on it - I think most people are nowhere near 89-90% max HR for a marathon and it actually does seem close to impossible when you look at the figures, but with the right training practically everyone should get there or very close. I look forward to finding out how close I can get in a few months.
    Interesting debate indeed and it'll be very good to hear more feedback.
    I'd be agreeing with Meno there about blowing up at a HR below what Hadd recommends but he did say that it was more geared towards elite aerobically well trained athletes rather than muckers like me!!

Addressed in response to Meno above hopefully.
    I intend to approach Cork from a target HR of approx 148-150bpm in a bid for sub 3:30.
    Why, i.e. based on what? Max HR, or previous marathon HR? Not disputing or disagreeing, just curious.
    I will hope to increase my target HR for the next marathon and approach (but hopefully not exceed) the optimal HR level.
    This could take a while...!!
    I think the key is to get more economical at current or target HR which will in turn allow you to race at a higher HR (and therefore faster pace). By more economical I mean using more fat, using less glycogen, and using the glycogen that you do use more aerobically and less anaerobically for the same pace. And so you will be able to maintain that pace for a lot longer. Then gradually you'll be able to increase the pace at which you are running economically. Best of luck with it.

/end hijack :o

My max is around 185 and my 'good' marathons had av HRs of 153 and 154. Hadd would see me going at an av HR of around 165 but any time I have ran with a HR over 160 in a marathon I have blown up spectacularly (DCM 2009 and Berlin 2011).

Sorry missed this. Do you understand the reason for the bold part? My understanding is that it's because you were using too much glycogen as a proportion of the fuel mix when at 160 or above because you did not train your body to use it more sparingly at that HR. In essence, your slow-twitch fibres which were trained (had abundant mitochondria and capillary (blood vessel) network) ran out of glycogen as they should. But then, as many of your slow-twitch fibres were untrained (not many mitochondria or capillaries), you had to recruit fast-twitch fibres. These used the glycogen much more quickly and so you were depleted of glycogen throughout the muscle sooner than you should have been, so you were running on empty.

If you were optimally trained, you would have had many more slow-twitch fibres to call upon. So once the glycogen in some ST fibres was used up, others would be recruited (rather than FT) and so you'd continue to use it sparingly or economically. Also, these fibres would be better at using fat for fuel and so glycogen would be spared for that reason too. So you'd maintain the pace for a lot longer. Also, with optimal training your FT fibres would be better trained to use glycogen more sparingly, so overall you'd hold on to glycogen for longer in the race.

For a crude example, imagine of 100% of your muscle fibres, 60% are ST and 40% are FT. It could be that due to your training, you only train 50% of the fibres (maybe 30% ST fibres and 20% FT fibres) typically if you don't run enough, or you don't do enough long runs, or you run too fast all the time. Hadd's 'aerobic monster' training aims to train 100% of fibres, which would clearly result in a better runner.

• Advertisement

Sorry missed this. Do you understand the reason for the bold part? My understanding is that it's because you were using too much glycogen as a proportion of the fuel mix when at 160 or above because you did not train your body to use it more sparingly at that HR. In essence, your slow-twitch fibres which were trained (had abundant mitochondria and capillary (blood vessel) network) ran out of glycogen as they should. But then, as many of your slow-twitch fibres were untrained (not many mitochondria or capillaries), you had to recruit fast-twitch fibres. These used the glycogen much more quickly and so you were depleted of glycogen throughout the muscle sooner than you should have been, so you were running on empty.

If you were optimally trained, you would have had many more slow-twitch fibres to call upon. So once the glycogen in some ST fibres was used up, others would be recruited (rather than FT) and so you'd continue to use it sparingly or economically. Also, these fibres would be better at using fat for fuel and so glycogen would be spared for that reason too. So you'd maintain the pace for a lot longer. Also, with optimal training your FT fibres would be better trained to use glycogen more sparingly, so overall you'd hold on to glycogen for longer in the race.

For a crude example, imagine of 100% of your muscle fibres, 60% are ST and 40% are FT. It could be that due to your training, you only train 50% of the fibres (maybe 30% ST fibres and 20% FT fibres) typically if you don't run enough, or you don't do enough long runs, or you run too fast all the time. Hadd's 'aerobic monster' training aims to train 100% of fibres, which would clearly result in a better runner.

Cheers great answer.

Still, I don't understand how running at a pace that equals 170bpm in training (which presumably would be a HR of 170 or maybe even less due to taper?), to end up with an average marathon HR of 175 (due to cardiac drift) would not result in a graph rising slowly from 170 to 178 or so. Perhaps it's simply that a graph rising from 170-178 over 26m is such a slow rise that it is more or less flat. Whereas if you started at a pace that equals training pace of 175 it would be too fast due to the heat dispersal factor and so HR would rise a lot more, like go from 175-190 resulting in a noticeably rising graph (before dropping massively when glycogen is used up) . As a matter of interest I wonder do Meno and belcarra know how much there average HR rose by from mile 3 to mile 25 say?

Mine didn't rise at all. In dublin 2010 my HR on miles 3-5 was 159, 155, 155
    on Miles 23-25 it was: 151,152,153. As i said i had a slight negative split in Dublin 2010.
    In barcelona 2011 miles 3-5 were 157,155,153. miles 23-25 were 158, 158, 158. I had a 10 second positive split in this one and was having to dig in at the end. (I've included the garmin links to both races).

I would also disagree with Hadd on the relationship to PMP HR in training as opposed to in the race. From my limited experience (following P&D for Dublin 2010) the HR for PMP miles was about 5-10 bpm higher in training than in the race itself.

BTW I never look at the HRM reading during any race, especially not a marathon. These are just readings that i like to study as an afterthought.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone mind if I ask one of the mods to copy this out to a new thread, entitled something like 'Target Heart Rate for marathon' ? It's a cracking discussion (thanks Larry) and has prompted a number of follow-up questions, so we probably shouldn't completely derail Belcarra's training log, which sould be filled with the pain and angst of the up-coming Donadea 50k!

I would also disagree with Hadd on the relationship to PMP HR in training as opposed to in the race. From my limited experience (following P&D for Dublin 2010) the HR for PMP miles was about 5-10 bpm higher in training than in the race itself.

Sorry, should clarify that Hadd expected pace at HR during marathon should be the same as the pace during a HR of 5bpm lower achieved in one of his fitness test as opposed to in training runs.

I wonder does your experience suggest not that you disagree with Hadd as such but that during training when shorter durations were used you could hold closer to 90% HR, but in the marathon you could not because you were not aerobically conditioned to do so for 26m? Ie the 'fault' wasn't a lack of pmp miles in training but not having the 'base' to back this up?

BTW I never look at the HRM reading during any race, especially not a marathon. These are just readings that i like to study as an afterthought.

Another interpretation! You races based on pace rather than effort? So during training you hit target pace and during the race you ran at that same pace. But due to taper and being full of glycogen, effort for that same pace was actually 5-10bpm less. So perhaps you didn't push yourself enough in the race effort wise? And so you had a nice flat graph because you were running within yourself?

If you raced based on effort and hit the same hr as during training pmp you'd have been at a faster pace during the race and so would have either ran a better time if well conditioned aerobically, or crashed and burned due to using up glycogen quickly if not well conditioned? Just thinking aloud...

Another interpretation! You races based on pace rather than effort? So during training you hit target pace and during the race you ran at that same pace. But due to taper and being full of glycogen, effort for that same pace was actually 5-10bpm less. So perhaps you didn't push yourself enough in the race effort wise? And so you had a nice flat graph because you were running within yourself?

If you raced based on effort and hit the same hr as during training pmp you'd have been at a faster pace during the race and so would have either ran a better time if well conditioned aerobically, or crashed and burned due to using up glycogen quickly if not well conditioned? Just thinking aloud...

Yeah another interpretation!! I have trained and raced these marathons based on pace rather than HR (as I say i don't look at it until after the race/session). I guess I left a bit on the course in Dublin 2010 but it was only my second marathon after blowing up the year before so i was being ultra cautions. In barcelona I raced a bit harder but the pace or efforts couldn't have been optimal as I didn't train or taper specifically for the race.

I guess there are a lot of questions still to be answered so!!

Probably key thing would be to know your correct MP HR and not to go over this rate/effort. If you run a PB perhaps raise this by a beat or two for next time and if you blow-up then reduce by a beat or three!
    Given hills & head winds on courses I assume MP effort HR is a better guide than trying to maintain target pace as the latter would be more likely to have you blow-up by using up extra glycogen outside of your budget...

Anyone mind if I ask one of the mods to copy this out to a new thread, entitled something like 'Target Heart Rate for marathon' ? It's a cracking discussion (thanks Larry) and has prompted a number of follow-up questions, so we probably shouldn't completely derail Belcarra's training log, which sould be filled with the pain and angst of the up-coming Donadea 50k!
    I don't mind either way!

Good idea Krusty
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056551006

• Advertisement

Some very in-depth feedback there LB, KC & Meno – Thanks & keep it coming, don’t worry about any thread hijacking!
    5km%20AV%20HR%20smooth%20graph.jpg
    Krusty,

Hadd spoke a lot about cardiac drift, in relation to heat dispersal IIRC. But how he used this (I think!) was that say your predicted marathon HR was 175 (max HR (195) - 20* beats) then the pace you run in training @ 170 bpm would be a very accurate predictor of your marathon pace.
    In my case max HR (178) - 20beats = 158bpm. This is about 10bpm higher than what I believe to be my current Marathon pace (~148bpm according to NYC data, but optimal could be slightly (~2bpm) higher).
    So we tend to think 'if marathon HR is 175 and I can run 6:50 pace at 175bpm in training I'll run 6:50 pace in the marathon'. Then we head off at 6:50 pace and run out of steam. According to Hadd it is the pace we hit in training at 170bpm (in this example) that is the pace we should be going out at, to take into account the extra 5bpm the heart will have to work at purely to disperse of heat that will be a problem in a long race like a marathon, but not shorter races.
    Is heat dispersal really a valid argument in the case of cooler races? I would assume most Irish marathons would fall into the cooler end of the scale and therefore the 5bpm allocation would be unnecessary?
    See graph @ top. Approx 10bpm rise in NYC (Part of which would have to do with the field stringing out and therefore less congestion allowed me to go a little faster, hence raising the HR). Philly was a different story though!!
    * 15-20 bpm less than HR max should be trainable, varies depending on individual, but if in doubt might be safer to aim for the 20 initially!

So while he talked about (and acknowledged and respected) cardiac drift he still did not expect HR to rise during an ideal marathon race (except for maybe sprint finish). So sorry, I don't understand it fully, but it seems like a flat graph is ideal in Hadd's opinion.

I think it is suboptimal, not because you are starting too easy, but because you are staring too 'hard' (not in terms of pace but in terms of glycogen use at that pace, albeit a relatively easy pace)! Or in better words, not running economically enough at the start. Using too much glycogen as a ratio to fat in the fuel mix. The more glycogen that's used the more oxygen is needed to deal with it in the mitochondria, so HR rises to supply the extra oxygen. So if you are using too much glycogen at the start (even at a very comfortable pace, it's not that you're going too 'fast' just that for the pace you are going you are using too much glycogen as a result of your muscle fibre type and/or the way you have been training) HR will gradually rise more and more as you go on. So a HR rising is not a great sign (for marathon).

Now like you said, if you do start too slow, then it will rise if you increase the effort. That's probably why Hadd would give them a 5bpm zone - don't let it go below a certain rate or above a certain rate (after the first 5k). Not to go below to make sure you're not going easy on yourself like you alluded to and not to go above to make sure you don't go anaerobic and use up your glycogen 32 to 460 times faster than you would if using glycogen aerobically or fat as the fuel source respectively. This would obviously be catastrophic considering the glycogen is in limited supply. You have this down-pat in any case, that is your strength, running very economically, using glycogen sparingly and a great glycogen:fat fuel mix. An aerobic monster; my weakness :)

Hadd explained (in the quote I pasted) that a well trained person could race a marathon at 15-20bpm lower than max HR, or at 89-90%. BUT that not as well trained runners would be at a lower %. Not because they are not elite, but because they are not well trained. (Now the elite are probably elite because they are well trained, but you hopefully see the point I'm trying to make). By well trained it means being an aerobic monster. Not dropping race pace by more than 16s a mile for every double in race distance (if your 10k is 6:00 pace, your HM is 6:16, your Marathon pace is 6:32 - as an aerobically weak runner I think I'm 5:42, 6:07, 6:38; I'd wager aerobically well conditioned runners like Krusty and abhainn would have a much tighter relationship). My 'strength' (it's all relative, not blowing a horn!) is probably my lactate tolerance, while my weakness is my aerobic threshold. So I'm currently working on this weakness. Mcmillan talks about a sweet spot, runners who have a sweet spot at aerobic threshold (and so will be best at marathon) and others who have a sweet spot at lactate threshold or somewhere else and so will be better at other races. Probably has a lot to do with whether you're fast twitch or slow twitch type (I'm fast twitch). Hadd even said that you'd wonder why a fast twitcher would even try to improve as a marathoner....Certainly well worth reading the whole Hadd/Cabraal thread as it explicitly states how training should differ (particularly speed training) depending on whether you are slow or fast twitch. A key difference which I think is largely overlooked as we all jump in and try and do the same sessions.

So as to my views on it - I think most people are nowhere near 89-90% max HR for a marathon and it actually does seem close to impossible when you look at the figures, but with the right training practically everyone should get there or very close. I look forward to finding out how close I can get in a few months.

Addressed in response to Meno above hopefully.

Why, i.e. based on what? Max HR, or previous marathon HR? Not disputing or disagreeing, just curious.

Based on my graph for NYC. The earlier parts of the race were so packed with congestion that I wasn’t allowed go at a higher HR. Once the field was strung out there was more freedom to go a little faster, hence towards 150bpm. This was an upwards graph, without a tail-off at the closing stages. Therefore, I intend to aim for a flat graph of approx 148-150bpm for Cork where congestion shouldn’t be nearly as much of a problem (Maybe a few bpm lower for the opening 5km). I feel that this would allow me a pace of 8:00/mile, or so, without the tail-off or blow-up I have seen happen in my earlier marathons. Also, my base level mileage is significantly higher this time around so again I would hope to sustain the pace somewhat better.

I think the key is to get more economical at current or target HR which will in turn allow you to race at a higher HR (and therefore faster pace). By more economical I mean using more fat, using less glycogen, and using the glycogen that you do use more aerobically and less anaerobically for the same pace. And so you will be able to maintain that pace for a lot longer. Then gradually you'll be able to increase the pace at which you are running economically.

I think I am doing that currently (50km race this weekend and Connemara Ultra to come on April 1st so nearly all aerobic mileage with longer distances, etc. I will change to much more speedwork once April comes.) If there is something I have overlooked please let me know.
    Best of luck with it.

/end hijack :o

Advertisement