Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 140 - Jones vs. Machida - 10th Dec. Spoilers inside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

scudzilla wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, true colours shining through here maybe???

Trainer Jackson clarifies 'get some fans' comment following Jones' UFC 140 win

Just as Jon Jones was caught up in the moment following his submission win over Lyoto Machida, so too was trainer Greg Jackson when he told his fighter to "go check on Lyoto – get some fans."

"I shouldn't have spoken in that way, but that wasn't my intention," Jackson today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It sounded bad, but moronic [expletive] comes out of my mouth sometimes."

The intention, he said, wasn't to be political but to remind Jones to conduct himself honorably inside the cage.

"What I was saying was, 'Go check on Lyoto,' what I meant was to remember that you're a public figure," Jackson said. "There's always attention on you and what you're doing all the time, and there's cage etiquette. There's things you're supposed to do, and going and checking on somebody is what you're supposed to do.

"And now because I'm in military mode and in shorthand mode, I say, 'Jon, go check on Lyoto and go get some fans,' and what I should have said was, 'You're a public figure. There's a way to conduct yourself.' But instead, I shorthanded it."

Light-heavyweight champ Jones (15-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) submitted Machida (17-3 MMA, 9-3 UFC) with a modified guillotine choke in the second round in the headliner of this past Saturday's UFC 140 event, which took place at Air Canada Centre in Toronto and aired live on pay-per-view.

There are several unwritten rules between fighters and camps when it comes to the time before, during and after fights inside the octagon. One of the most well-recognized is the act of shaking hands with the opposing fighter and his coaches. But frequently when an injury takes place during a fight, or there is a particularly devastating stoppage, a fighter is seen attending to his downed opponent as medical officials tend to him.

In most cases, fighters are seen embracing as the official decision is announced inside the cage.

While Jackson's words implied a certain lack of care from Jones toward Machida, he said that isn't the case.

"That's the point I want to drive home," Jackson said. "Jon is a really good guy. Everybody is just attacking his character because that's what you have to attack when you can't attack somebody's fighting.

"It's not that he was a bad guy. You just literally go crazy. None of these guys outside of the cage could understand that after the fight, you're in the zone, man. It's such an intense camp, especially for Jon, month after month, fight after fight.

"Let's take B.J. Penn for an example. He's actually a really nice guy; he walks around licking blood off his gloves all the time. Chuck Liddell is one of the sweetest, nicest guys you'll ever meet, but when he knocks you unconscious, he runs around screaming and pumping his arms. That's not normal behavior. So my job with Jon is to remind him. When the referee said break, he broke, and then he was still there in that zone. I was like, 'Now, it's time to relax and calm down and check on the guy.' I should have said, 'Remember your public figure.' But like I say, 'Go get some Donald Cerrone,' I said, 'Go get some fans.'"

But as Jackson has become accustomed to during his time as a trainer to world-class fighters, he said his words and actions are frequently misinterpreted.

"So it's just a matter of time before everyone gets mad at me again," Jackson joked.

The silver lining, of course, is the performance of his fighter, who defended his belt for the second time in his fourth performance of this year. While Jones' struggled with Machida and appeared flustered in the first round, he took complete control in the second after taking the former champ to the ground and opening a cut with an elbow. After rocking Machida with a punch late in the frame, he seized upon a choke and put the Brazilian out cold.

"Machida came in with a great plan; he was trying to interrupt Jon's strikes in between what I call a 'heaviola' style of fighting," Jackson said "You put a note in between the notes, where every time they go to do something, you interrupt them. That was a brilliant, brilliant tactic. It worked very well for him.

'[Jones] got hit a few times really hard. He showed that he had a great jaw. He got kind of flustered and confused for a little bit and was able to bring it back and reconnect with everything. He got tested and he passed the test. I was so proud of him for that."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Come on Dave, you're better than this. You know full well I am NOT saying anything about death in the ring!

I thought we were having a good debate until you spewed this crap! Don't be so silly!

OK OK fight to the death may have been excessive.

Jones is not in the "Babalu" category, but i can't why someone would hold a choke on someone, knowing full well the other fighter is unconscious.

I find it a unnecessary method to victory.

McDonald v Leben springs to mind where McDonald told the ref he was out.If i remember correctly it was a RNC or a guilatine.

On watching the GIF Jones only held the choke for maybe 3-4 seconds before Big John stepped in. In fact the crowd noticed it before the ref

Look if Jones had not mentioned to Rogan he knew he was out i'd have no problem with it.

bones.gif

dave1982 wrote: »
    OK OK fight to the death may have been excessive.

Jones is not in the "Babalu" category, but i can't why someone would hold a choke on someone, knowing full well the other fighter is unconscious.

I find it a unnecessary method to victory.

McDonald v Leben springs to mind where McDonald told the ref he was out.If i remember correctly it was a RNC or a guilatine.

On watching the GIF Jones only held the choke for maybe 3-4 seconds before Big John stepped in.

Look if Jones had not mentioned to Rogan he knew he was out i'd have no problem with it.

bones.gif

Kinda what i'm getting at. He's not in the Babalu category, people are just using this as excuse to hate on the dude.

I understand he COULD'VE held him up, but the fact that he didn't doesn't mean he's classless in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Clive wrote: »
    I have to agree with you here MrStuffins, some people are just looking for a stick to beat Jones with - there's a load of nonsense floating around about unfair reach, he's a heavyweight, "cheap" elbows etc.
    I agree with you regarding the nonsense.
    It's hat e for the sake of hate. He shouldn't apologise for his reach. He isn't actually heavir than most LHWs etc

On watching the GIF Jones only held the choke for maybe 3-4 seconds before Big John stepped in. In fact the crowd noticed it before the ref

The problem with the gif is that its not real time remember.
    Out of interest, I've checked out the GIF;
    1. From the time his arm goes limp, its 2.6 seconds until ref moves to stop it. NOTE: This is GIF time, real time is likely less. Also, this is from the first drop of his arm. He amy not of been fully out until the dropped fully and his grip released (1 sec later)
    2. Jones releases the choke very quickly, that suggests that he was ready to stop.
    3. It's a modified guillotine choke. Look how high his arm postitioning is. Its not easy to hold him up after releasing pressure. Could of been worse.

The reason this choke looks worse is that we don't see standing chokes very often. If this happens on he ground its not an issue.

Joens nt going over after is a different matter. I don't think we should confus the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I think greed is what beat Nogueira. He had the fight won but knew from the previous results (and the likelyhood of Jones v Machida being a KO win) that he would get the 75k for submission of the night, so decided to submit Mir rather than punch him one more time and end the fight.

• Advertisement

I think greed is what beat Nogueira. He had the fight won but knew from the previous results (and the likelyhood of Jones v Machida being a KO win) that he would get the 75k for submission of the night, so decided to submit Mir rather than punch him one more time and end the fight.

I seriously doubt that was any kind of reason.

I am open to correction of course, but that's a bit of a wild stab at a motive!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I think he simply wanted to be able to say he subbed Mir which would arguably make him the number 1 heavyweight submission fighter, was a silly decision and 1 which lost him the fight.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Mir said something like if Nog continued to punch, Mir could have gotten a takedown or even got away.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Mir said something like if Nog continued to punch, Mir could have gotten a takedown or even got away.

Mir was talking out of his ass, he was nearly done.

Like Paul said Nog went for the sub instead of pounding Mir out, it cost him the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe that's what happend. But we'll never know.
    Mir was down and went for a leg. I thought at the time that Nog wanted to take control on the ground then to prevent Mir securing a dominant position.

• Advertisement

Mir was screwed, 10 Seconds punishment and the fight was over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Both main events proved 'we' need to bring back pride rules.

Mir was out, face down,and nog had to engage, should have stood up a la pride shogun and soccer kicked his head off.

Jones doing that crab thing. Shogun should have ran across and done a flying kick like ryu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Jones doing that crab thing. Shogun should have ran across and done a flying kick like ryu.

Pretty sure a cage invasion is more of a WWE thing than a Pride thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Pretty sure a cage invasion is more of a WWE thing than a Pride thing.

Watch the 1st Shogun/Coleman fight and say that :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Both main events proved 'we' need to bring back pride rules.

Mir was out, face down,and nog had to engage, should have stood up a la pride shogun and soccer kicked his head off.

it's Machida you mean you think, and he couldn't cause Jones had one arm on the mat.

jayteecork wrote: »
    it's Machida you mean you think, and he couldn't cause Jones had one arm on the mat.

Which is why he said we need to bring back Pride rules

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Which is why he said we need to bring back Pride rules

fair enough.
    That crab thing is retarded anyway. He hasn't done anything with it.

I'd kick his arm, if its planted it will be probably game over.

jayteecork wrote: »

I always thought it was a knee on the ground prevent head kicks?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

I always thought it was a knee on the ground prevent head kicks?

It's any 3 points of contact. You often see people in a bad clinch position reach down and plant a hand on the ground to prevent knees.

• Advertisement

Was I the only one who, when Jones was doing that, thought of that TUF episode years and years ago when Rich Franklin advised a fighter to come out on his knees so he couldn't get kicked in the face and everyone laughed at him? Randy Couture was paeticularly critical.

I was like "Holy Sh*t, Franklin was right"" :eek: "

:pac:

Borderline stalling imo

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Probably just using it for mind games. Its either useless, in which case it just throws people off while they figure out what to do.
    Or it has a use but he's not using it till people are convinced its useless.
    Alternatively could be an Anderson Silva like experiment to try and do something he thought looked cool in a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

i think he keeps doing it hes going to pay for it, he cant get kicked in the head, but hes still open for kicks in the arms, legs & ribs

the way he will be a beat is for someone to do a chael sonnen and pressure him, not standing on the outside and standing off him, Machida put some pressure on and had some good results in the first round. Im surprised rampage didnt try more, especially considering rampage has a serious chin and could afford to eat some shots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

cowzerp wrote: »
    I'd kick his arm, if its planted it will be probably game over.

you really think a kick in the arm is going to break it??
    sure it'd hurt and would make him think twice again but saying it'd end the fight is a tad optimistic.

also once you get into his range he'd just spring up and lash you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If Maia and Jacare ever fought in MMA, I would hope both of them would come out of their corners on their knees.

unknown13 wrote: »
    If Maia and Jacare ever fought in MMA, I would hope both of them would come out of their corners on their knees.

Youre probably guaranteed a boxing match tbh :pac:

unknown13 wrote: »

It'd definitely be a boxing match but put one of those guys in against Aoki (after a few burgers of course) and we'd see a nice grappling match!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

horsemeat wrote: »
    you really think a kick in the arm is going to break it??
    sure it'd hurt and would make him think twice again but saying it'd end the fight is a tad optimistic.

also once you get into his range he'd just spring up and lash you.

If the arm is planted I'm sure a kick would do serious damage alright..

Are kicks to the knee with the intention of trying to break it legal in mma? I think they are in muay thai..

• Advertisement

If the arm is planted I'm sure a kick would do serious damage alright..

Are kicks to the knee with the intention of trying to break it legal in mma? I think they are in muay thai..

Kicks to the knee are legal. I don't think intent is ever considered when talking about what might be legal or illegal in MMA (or most sports, except Football of course)

Advertisement