Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 140 - Jones vs. Machida - 10th Dec. Spoilers inside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Looking forward to jones fight and juan. Hope both win easily.
    The Mir we see if he looked so good in the last fight with Nog because Nog was sick. Tito don't like him but he should be able to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Should be a good night of fights. I can't see Jones losing this one but ya never know -Machida might break out the Segal kick again!

Looking forward to seeing Hominick in action again. And also seeing Jake Hecht make his UFC debut!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Good description of Mir, limbo is exactly where I have him.

Want to see Jones just in a bad spot at least, not even beaten, just even if Machida can take him down or clip him that would be enough.

Hominick vs Korean Zombie should be a cracker, can't wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Jones/Machida has the potential to be a very boring fight. Generally Jones likes to keep people at bay with his reach and counter punch/kick and Machida was at his best when he stayed on the outside, circling and countering when his opponent got frustrated.

Of anyone currently in the UFC I think Machida has the best chance against Jones if he sticks to a tactic and doesn't try to engage Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

limbo is a perfect description for mir, they basically couldve used the same video from mir's last countdown appearance. Frank Mir was champion, frank mir crashes, frank returns....

would like to see nog win this and fancy jones for the 2nd round finish

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I think Lyoto will outsmart/bore Jones.
    Also Lyoto probably has the best takedown defence in the division, I don't recall him ever been taken down.

In fact I threw a quid on a Lyoto/Nog trio. 20/1!!

go Brasil!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm a Mir fanboy so mad to see him win and go on a title run but the realistic side of me says ya right :rolleyes:. True, Bones and Machida could be an awful bore fest or....it could be an awesome display of front face kicks and karate chops!!!

TBH i'm most looking forward to the inevitable Seagull interview. Always gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Looking forward to seeing Jake fight, hope it all works out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Its going to be interesting seeing who can make use of their game plan better. If they go the patient chess match route, I think Jones will get the nod in a decision. I think that even if Lyoto tags him a good bit, Jones style will look more aggressive regardless of whose being more effective.
    If Jones gets cocky and decideds its safe for him to play around and experiment the way he has in previous fights, I think Lyoto will really punish him for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

jayteecork wrote: »
    I think Lyoto will outsmart/bore Jones.
    Also Lyoto probably has the best takedown defence in the division, I don't recall him ever been taken down.

In fact I threw a quid on a Lyoto/Nog trio. 20/1!!

go Brasil!

Not too many people get takedowns the way Jones does. He has a habit of just bodily throwing people to the ground and it works because of his strength and leverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I thought all UFC was meant to be on FX from now on?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

dave1982 wrote: »
    I thought all UFC was meant to be on FX from now on?

ESPN deal runs out next year. The TUF final was on FX cause TUF wasnt part of the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Also there will be cards on Fox main and other fox channels next year that need a home this side of the atlantic, Setanta landed the last card. Hope FX pick these up.

Unfortunitely I think Jones is going to win this one, unless Machida somehow KO's him or manages to get a high mount and blasts him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Slightly unrelated, has anyone managed to find a way to watch the facebook prelims on iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Disappointed to see McDonald pull out. Yeah limbo is the perfect way to describe Mir. I don't know why he's so unpopular with so many people. I don't particularly like to watch him fight but I think he seems like a sound bloke. In his last two victories he's done nothing to increase his stock value and I still think Lesnar, Carwin, Reem, JDS, Bigfoot, Cormier and Cain would crush him. If he beats Nog only fights against one of those 7 would make sense and I can't see him beating any of them. So basically I see the remainder of his career being a continuous loop of getting so far up the division, then loosing until he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Xlami wrote: »
    Disappointed to see McDonald pull out. Yeah limbo is the perfect way to describe Mir. I don't know why he's so unpopular with so many people.

I don't dislike the guy but he DOES have that cocky jock douche attitude about him! He probably doesn't mean it and it's probably not his fault but it comes across that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

I hope I'm wrong but I think the main event has the potential to be a serious 5 round snoozer.. I think they'll both prove to be better at avoiding strikes than landing strikes. I think Machida will do an excellent job of keeping distance but will not be able to mount any meaningful offence on Jones. Jones will become frustrated but will do just about enough to win every round.

I'll repost this if Lyoto flying front kick KO's Jones to win the title:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

putting my money where my mouth is and throwing a tenner on Machida to win via KO. you read it here first lads. jones will be shown up for the chancer he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

horsemeat wrote: »
    putting my money where my mouth is and throwing a tenner on Machida to win via KO. you read it here first lads. jones will be shown up for the chancer he is.
    Bets likes this are the reason i'm getting evens on Jones via TKO
    Thanks.

Mellor wrote: »
    Bets likes this are the reason i'm getting evens on Jones via TKO
    Thanks.

He's not really betting on Machida. He's trolling! He's tried and failed here a coupld of times before (Saying Hendo v Shogun was a terrible fight) and i've seen him in action over in the Boxing forum.

Machida is definitely in with more than a slim chance here though. But my money's going on Bones!

• Advertisement

I said I'll never bet against Jones after Shogun so there's no way I'm doing it again. hope i'm not wrong :p

MrStuffins wrote: »
    He's not really betting on Machida. He's trolling! He's tried and failed here a coupld of times before (Saying Hendo v Shogun was a terrible fight) and i've seen him in action over in the Boxing forum.

Absolutely Ridiculous post.

please don't make representations on my part. I never said shogun and hendo was a bad fight, i said it was ok, certainly not the all time classic people make it out to be. I didn't jamming their nuts into my mouth as soon as the fight ended like you and 95 % of the other posters here did. it was two washed up, gassed fighters slugging it out, certainly not a masterous display of martial arts of any kind. Have you watched the fight again. How about watching it without the commentary on, I can assure you it's not very exciting when Joe rogan isn't whispering propaganda into your ear. Don't accuse someone of trolling just cause they don't agree with your opinion on something.

And yes I am betting on Machida, I think he's the only one in the division with a modicum of hope against Jones. I do genuinely think he can win. Again, Don't accuse someone of trolling just cause they don't agree with your opinion on something.

As regards the boxing forum, it's a bit of a joke of a forum in general. I make a couple of particularly pro mayweather comments and this has me tarred as a trouble maker. Get a grip on yourself. Look anywhere on the internet and you'll find hundreds of thousands more people who are just as pro mayweather as I am. 90 % of the posters on boxing are either pro floyd/pro pacman and when you put your alliance with one gobshites start jumping down your throat accusing you of being a shill a troll and not a true boxing fan.

This carry on rarely goes on here but is certainly showing its head of late with you and your comments - just cause I don't agree with the Dana White official party line on everything doesn't mean my sentiments aren't legitimate.It's quite clear you live and hang off every single word Dana White says and anything to the contrary is blasphemy. You need to wake up and start seeing the real world. Just cause Dana says it, doesn't mean it's true. Again, Don't accuse someone of trolling just cause they don't agree with your opinion on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Absolutely Ridiculous post.

This carry on rarely goes on here but is certainly showing its head of late with you and your comments - just cause I don't agree with the Dana White official party line on everything doesn't mean my sentiments aren't legitimate.It's quite clear you live and hang off every single word Dana White says and anything to the contrary is blasphemy. You need to wake up and start seeing the real world. Just cause Dana says it, doesn't mean it's true. Again, Don't accuse someone of trolling just cause they don't agree with your opinion on something.

Sorry but I can't stand these kind of claims. There is a school of thought out there that oh I don't wanna be seen as uneducated in the sport or a "Zuffa Zombie" so I'm gonna rubbish everything that comes out of DW's mouth. Dana is a polarizing character and I think even his biggest cynics can't deny how much he's done for the sport. At the same time he's an egomaniac and does not like fighters who don't tow the UFC line. I don't understand why people go mental at him for promoting the Hendo-Shogun fight or bad mouthing Fedor at the time. He's a promoter, just doing his job.

Xlami wrote: »
    Sorry but I can't stand these kind of claims. There is a school of thought out there that oh I don't wanna be seen as uneducated in the sport or a "Zuffa Zombie" so I'm gonna rubbish everything that comes out of DW's mouth. Dana is a polarizing character and I think even his biggest cynics can't deny how much he's done for the sport. At the same time he's an egomaniac and does not like fighters who don't tow the UFC line. I don't understand why people go mental at him for promoting the Hendo-Shogun fight or bad mouthing Fedor at the time. He's a promoter, just doing his job.

Not my point.

My point was I was accused of being a troll just because I didn't agree with Dana's opinion.

I'm just stating that just cause you don't agree with the official UFC stance doesn't mean you're a troublemaker. It's just an alternative opinion. Take the miguel torres thing. I think it was a bit rash for him to be cut, Paul Daley too. But you'll get people like MrStuffins lashing me out of it saying i'm a liar and a troll and that there's no possible way my posts could be genuine. Countless people believe Machida is the only one with a chance against Jones, it's not like I posted something ridiculous saying ''I'm putting 200 euros on a double of Tito Ortiz to beat Nog via gogoplata, and frank mir to beat big nog via steven segal kick''. I posted a commonly held opinion and was accused of acting the bollox.

Tbh I thought Hendo-Shogun was a good fight but the best fight that weekend was Alvarez-Chandler.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

I thought Shogun vs Hendo was entertaining, but I wouldn't really rank it up as a classic. I couldn't help but wonder while watching it how much more entertaining it would be if both fighters were actually fully conditioned to go those five rounds. I can't really fault Henderson for that, time does have to catch up with people at some point. But Shogun hasn't come into any of his recent fights looking in prime physical condition. Maybe the fact that he was always naturally athletic and engeretic is starting to fade but he hasn't adjusted his training to compensate.
    Either way, I just would have enjoyed it more if they were in better condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

For me the Shogun - Hendo fight was one of the best of the year so far.
    Fair enough both of hose guys aren't in their prime and their conditioning wasn't 100% but that's not the point. It was 2 fighters going at it hell for leather and "leaving it all in the cage".
    That's what it's all about in my opinion. It was an excellent fight and there was no loser coming out of that fight.
    People complain all the time that a fight was boring cause it was a grappling match and there was no blood and guts.....and then when they go in and slug it out for 5 edge of your seat rounds, they still complain that they were washed up, and their conditioning wasn't up to their standards. No pleasing some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

putting my money where my mouth is and throwing a tenner on Machida to win via KO. you read it here first lads.

This part is fine, it's an opinion and I agree with you that of all the contenders in the division, Machida has a chance (albeit slim) to KO Jones. Fair comment.
    jones will be shown up for the chancer he is.

This part, however, is blatently looking for a reaction from other posters. How is JJ a "chancer"? He's destroyed everyone he's fought, stopped his last 5 fights by either sub or TKO... It's posts like this that make people think your trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

I say dennis hallman be out if he loses this fight. Missed weight and showing he sack last fight.
    Dana might get to cut another fighter.
    Hope korean zombie wins and gets a title shot.

• Advertisement

CageWager wrote: »
    This part, however, is blatently looking for a reaction from other posters. How is JJ a "chancer"? He's destroyed everyone he's fought, stopped his last 5 fights by either sub or TKO... It's posts like this that make people think your trolling.

Exactly.

Accusing Jones of being a "chancer" is just sillyness. Normally on this forum we have great discussions, discussions based in reality and peoples' knowledge of the sport.

We generally don't get the fanboyism over here (we had a bit of reverse fanboyism when Brock started) the way some of the posters in the Boxing forum like to cling onto the likes of Mayweather, normally the guys who have no idea of the sport and just like to be in the "I told you so" brigade.

Saying that there are loads of people who would be stupidly pro-Mayweather too proves nothing. Its like when my sister tries to tell me The X Factor is the best show on TV because millions and millions of people watch it.

I agree Machida has a chance to beat him. I think Jones will win. But calling Jones a "chancer" is ridiculous! I'm not even sure what you mean by it, it makes no sense literally. So I conclude you were looking for a negative reaction and were therefore trolling.

Advertisement