Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of the Nation address thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

amacca wrote: »
    Thats still governing ourselves...I thought you were advocating us not governing ourselves :confused:

In any event I agree..sort of...thing is there are a lot of people with track records in finance who haven't exactly showered themselves in glory over the past ten years.....

I would settle for anyone with a brain from any walk of life with a certain amount of freedom and independence (for a defined period of time) incentivised to create an equitable (insofar as possible) and stable sustainable system.

A lot of the problems of this world are down to the "experts" phenomenon......I'm of the opinion that many of these so called experts are skilled mainly in the area of feathering their own nests.

well the clowns the majority of people vote for are the peoples problem in the end so perhaps they will eventually make a better decision or perhaps they wont I still support the right of those people (including myself) to vote for who they god damn please as long as those people are made suffer the consequences of their decisions

for the minority who voted otherwise ... well thats just how the cookie crumbles.

well not exactly - i was just pointing out we have not done a great job historically

as for professionals v teachers and solicitors , well if we cant use one or the other what is the solution ??

if fairness i have always said its a cultural thing - we could copy sweden or Finland to the letter and still fu2k it up because we are irish, not Swedish or Finnish - is that not the core of the problem ??

we breed chancers - we suffer fools - we don't do resignation or accountability
    so it will never work the way it could - because we are who we are

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Is this going to clash with the X factor results?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

"I blame Dev"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

We are truly fcuked and in huge trouble.
    FF decision to gaurantee and nationalise Anglo caused euro crisis.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/european/decision-to-nationalise-anglo-irish-triggered-euro-crisis-2944555.html

So you must all now take your austerity medicine because it was you, the irish people, who voted for the gobsh1tes into power, even though I and my party were not much better for the 2007 general election so we're going to pretend to have nothing to do with this mess and for all our hard work at obeying the rules and inflicting austerity on ye we are going to give ourselves a pay rise. Those golf courses won't remain open themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

My McLaren F1 is not getting cheaper to Run So I upping the Tax..

and Lowering Health Care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

the Eastenders theme would be the most depressing part of that for me

+ why did'nt the baddie die in the end....what sort of scriptwriter are you?

Sorry,I was trained by RTE!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭amacca

dj jarvis wrote: »
    as for professionals v teachers and solicitors , well if we cant use one or the other what is the solution ??

there probably is none......we could use whomever is most suitable if the system worked that way (the Taoiseach nominates the Finance Minister though does he not)

I wasn't saying it should be one grouping or the other.......I was simply thinking it would be unwise to think our problems would be solved if we installed a financial "expert" as our finance minister when really its the system that needs tweaking to incentivize whoever does the job to do it properly for the benefit of everyone

I'm also deeply suspicious of investment experts, financial whizzkids etc etc.........give me a snake oil salesman any day....at least you know when you are being stabbed in the back by those
    we breed chancers - we suffer fools - we don't do resignation or accountability
    so it will never work the way it could - because we are who we are

Life will never be dull though eh?......with a shower like that free to walk around:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bertie indited.

biko wrote: »
    Bertie indited.

everyone else indebted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

exactly my point in my previous posts
    coming to the conclusion the the republic project has failed miserably
    no matter who is a the helm

can we actually govern our self's ??? im not so sure

We are incapable of governing ourselves. The government partied during the boom years ( caused by low interest rates from Germany etc, massive subsidies + grants from EC etc ) and our government squandered the money...indeed put oil on the fire by continually extending section 23's etc......... instead of paying off the national debt fully, putting money aside for pensions , a rainy day etc. It encouraged ghost estates in the middle of nowhere when some kids were still in prefabs. It padded the public service. It squandered a billion a year on FAS ( inc 400 dollar hairdo's for the tanaiste, now retired on 150k a year or whatever it is ) when there was full employment. Bertie paid himself more than any other prime minister in Europe - leaders should set the example. The opposition during the budgets etc allowed, even encouraged this general policy.i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Good evening people of Ireland and Poland.
    Ciaran Conlon will be awarded an annual salary of €127,000 – well over the €92,000 cap on the salaries of special advisors that my Government has agreed upon. I know that my ministers advised me against it and that its
    against the wishes of the people, but I am the boss now so tighten your belts
    because someone has to pay our massive salaries.
    Old people might freeze to death, our children might go hungry,but as I say some one has to pay me and my buddies to keep us in the lap of luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

western civilisation is overrated, mudhuts and starvation are where its at

John Doe1 wrote: »
    western civilisation is overrated, mudhuts and starvation are where its at

I got two potatoes and I like to drone!

yeah where its at...whose your sexy daddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

there probably is none......we could use whomever is most suitable if the system worked that way (the Taoiseach nominates the Finance Minister though does he not)

I wasn't saying it should be one grouping or the other.......I was simply thinking it would be unwise to think our problems would be solved if we installed a financial "expert" as our finance minister when really its the system that needs tweaking to incentivize whoever does the job to do it properly for the benefit of everyone

I'm also deeply suspicious of investment experts, financial whizzkids etc etc.........give me a snake oil salesman any day....at least you know when you are being stabbed in the back by those

Life will never be dull though eh?......with a shower like that free to walk around:D

again i agree with most of what you say

but...... if i had a car that needed the engine fixed , i would rather a bad mechanic look at it than a teacher , do you see what im getting at?

and again true , most financial "experts" i would not trust as far as i could throw them - but if you go on past history you could go on a educated guess rather than a FF teacher/ auctioneer / solicitor

i just feel that our system of governance is fatally flawed and this kind of cock up will just keep happening until we do a root and branch clear out

but we all know this never happen in blue moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I will lose all respect for Kenny if he does not put the boot firmly into those Fianna Fail scumbags tonight who caused all this mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Stinicker wrote: »
    I will lose all respect for Kenny if he does not put the boot firmly into those Fianna Fail scumbags tonight who caused all this mess.

FFS get over it.... oh Were blaming this and that on FF.. What has FG done only done every thing they said they wouldnt do if they got in..

Up Student Fees by 2015.. why dont we Tell ECB to F**CK OFF WHERE NOT paying.. lower our rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Good evening people of Ireland .

It has come to our attention - that is the attention of the government and our employees - that there is a group of people in Ireland who , according to statistics, only take half the sickies they should. They are not pulling their weight in the economy as they are only paid half. They mostly do not even have pensions. This group of workers is sometimes called the private sector and from now on they will have a symbol and a number tattoed on their arms.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

"Corned beef is damn tasty, and we will all be eating a lot more of it in 2012."

if i had a car that needed the engine fixed , i would rather a bad mechanic look at it than a teacher , do you see what im getting at?

I do but that may be a bad analogy.....I've been to bad mechanics...they charge you way too much...sometimes they dont bother doing what they have charged you for or do a half assed job that lets you down when you most need this not to happen...they make you wait for ages so you will be thankful when you get the thing back..and if they think you are vulnerable they wont miss an opportunity to figure out how best to ride you bareback around the garage

so if the choice was simply between a confirmed bad mechanic and conscientious teacher willing to do their best I might well go with the teacher.

my problem is how do you know the good mechanic really is any good.......or in this case the finance expert proposing to be our finance minister...how do you know he is simply just a person good at shinning his way up the greasy pole or someone whose pyramid scheme has not yet been discovered.....even if he is good how do you know the system wont turn him into a nest feather-er......I think the system needs to be altered as well as perhaps the people in it.

I believe the right kind of people don't get involved in Politics in this country at all and to alter this the system needs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I too will have to tighten the belt on my red, silk dress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Desire2

Leo veradka will stand in for Kenny at the last moment,well he does for every other member of Govt. you could call Leo FG's representative on planet Earth:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

He will end with "I am off to France and Germany on the fancy jet paid for by ye all dumb bastard taxpayers to grovel to our new Overlords, and sell your futures for 30 pieces of silver."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

"That money was just resting in my account"

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Turned a Corner
    Austerity

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

doddy, does this mean we cant go ouwt on owur bhoat in the whawter anymwhore loike.

the viper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

LiamN wrote: »
    Turned a Corner
    Austerity

And the Bailiffs were waiting around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

We are now under British Rule. All hail The Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

' You may be wondering why there is a German flag in the background.... '

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Enda Kenny: "People of Ireland, we are totally fucked. It's time now to prostate ourselves in front of our new Supreme German Overlords in the Deutscher Bundestag and await 800 years of Teutonic fiscal discipline. Heil Merkel!"

and the problem with being good at running a country is what ??
    bring it on i say - our track record is abysmal[/QUOTE]

more simple minded racism, the product of being over exposed to yobbish English culture.

why not blame the foreigners for taking our jobs? take the swipe at Nigerians as well for the laugh.

i find it interesting that the mods here will tolerate anti Catholic sectarianism or anti German rhetoric but freak out once you criticise the gay community or the nigerians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Garzorico

I for one welcome our new German overlords.

Advertisement