Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of the Nation address thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Solnskaya wrote: »
    No I didn't. Anyway, I'm not being anti Irish, I love my country, but most of the people I deal with daily are well educated and worldly, yet those who represent us seem to be a self-serving gang of gob****e5 - why do so few of the bright, intelligent Irish people head into politics? Why does it seem to be the domain of Crombie wearing, gombeen cattle dealers?

You want all politicians to sound like David Norris???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

You've never been to Mayo then, I take it.. believe me, Enda Kenny's accent is an uber posh Mayo accent.
    I work with two Mayo men, and both are well spoken. I don't really care about his crap acent as much as the crap he spouts for foreign consumption. A British politician would eat him for breakfast- he wouldn't get elected to the local council. He comes across as oily, childish and dim. I was embarassed for Ireland listening to him.

hondasam wrote: »
    What is this?

That's your opinion and you are welcome to it. You have a problem with Irish people in general it seems.
    I know you can Post, Sam, but can you read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

No I didn't. Anyway, I'm not being anti Irish, I love my country, but most of the people I deal with daily are well educated and worldly, yet those who represent us seem to be a self-serving gang of gob****e5 - why do so few of the bright, intelligent Irish people head into politics? Why does it seem to be the domain of Crombie wearing, gombeen cattle dealers?

Haha, yes you did. How can you champion the "well educated" in this country if you can't spell.

(Your Ninja edit didn't fool me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I work with two Mayo men, and both are well spoken. I don't really care about his crap acent as much as the crap he spouts for foreign consumption. A British politician would eat him for breakfast- he wouldn't get elected to the local council. He comes across as oily, childish and dim. I was embarassed for Ireland listening to him.

The British politicians are all so great. You are wrong about him and you know it.
    Why would you be embarrassed for Ireland, stupid statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Yes, yes I am - employing a fully Irish workforce on a "foreign" contract. And paying the Tax on their wages to our government, who come across as a bunch of thick spivs.

Well OP, you have strong opinions and some conviction, perhaps you should run for office next time out, and show us how it should be done.
    I await your national address.

I know you can Post, Sam, but can you read?

What is it I'm supposed to read? you are anti Irish.

earpiece wrote: »
    Well OP, you have strong opinions and some conviction, perhaps you should run for office next time out, and show us how it should be done.
    I await your national address.

Me too. What accent will it be in though? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Stopped reading after "Inda". Can we not make our points without resorting to deliberately misspelling his name for teh LOLs?

Nothing like the musings of an armchair intellect on our leaders accent to keep help get this country back on track

• Advertisement

Stopped reading after "Inda". Can we not make our points without resorting to deliberately misspelling his name for teh LOLs?

+1,000,000

Makes AH look like that idiotic political column in The Star

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Haha, yes you did. How can you champion the "well educated" in this country if you can't spell.

(Your Ninja edit didn't fool me)
    err, I didn't edit the spelling, I edited the spacing to keep you happy. Anyhow, I don't care about his spelling, I care about his crap, primary school presentation when it comes to making an important speech. I know a lot of people with heavy accents who do not come across as idiots-Gurdiev for example, or Pierce Doherty, or Sean Gallagher. I don't agree with what they say often, but I don't cringe when they open their mouth. Michael D Higgins has a severe accent, but I can (mostly) listen to him speak without chewing my collar.

Good. I hate it when you read my posts anyway. It's creepy.

err, I didn't edit the spelling, I edited the spacing to keep you happy. Anyhow, I don't care about his spelling, I care about his crap, primary school presentation when it comes to making an important speech. I know a lot of people with heavy accents who do not come across as idiots-Gurdiev for example, or Pierce Doherty, or Sean Gallagher. I don't agree with what they say often, but I don't cringe when they open their mouth. Michael D Higgins has a severe accent, but I can (mostly) listen to him speak without chewing my collar.

Sure you didn't, funny how the spelling is different in my quote on the first page though. :rolleyes:

You obviously didn't learn about the spacing either did you?

chucken1 wrote: »
    Me too. What accent will it be in though? ;)

Posh private school.

What is a good accent for you?? We'll all try it for a while. It might catch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Skullsri

Instead of the op running for the dàil maby he would be better off taking himself over to england and running for government thare and he can feel sorry for his english "mates"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

For a speech of such national significance, it was poorly delivered. In general, the standard of public speaking by Irish politicians is quite poor and this has nothing to do with their accents or intelligence.

Sure you didn't, funny how the spelling is different in my quote on the first page though. :rolleyes:

Obviously not. Story here is that people in other countries judge us on the calibre of our politicians. They do not represent us. In my view, of course. Your view may differ, but you are a lug anyway, so who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

OP is KeithAFC in disguise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

+1

Bit rich for this guy to be calling anyone stupid when he can't even spell "leprechaun", "buffoon" or "disingenuous"
    Well no I wasn't being sarcastic considering you spelt those words wrong in your OP

So yes I would call that an area you "fall down in"

No one likes a grammar nazi so shut it

Skullsri wrote: »
    Instead of the op running for the dàil maby he would be better off taking himself over to england and running for government thare and he can feel sorry for his english "mates"
    Yeah, good one. Cussed me there. I'm scarleh thare, I am. MY point was, the people I meet every day, and my family, and the people I work with, are pretty much all intelligent, well able to speak their mind, would be well able to conduct themselves and speak to any person they met, yet our leader comes across as one step removed from the bogs. WTF.

KeithM89 wrote: »
    No one likes a grammar nazi so shut it

Nor do I but found it necessary to point out the mistakes given the preachy nature of the OP

Apologies

Nor do I but found it necessary to point out the mistakes given the preachy nature of the OP

Apologies
    Preachy? I'm feckin embarassed, not preachy. Jasus. Anyway, shut it Enda. I told you, you're embarassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

gigino wrote: »
    in this country, the quality of people who go in to politics is very low.

If only we had a Michael O'Leary leading the country.

Yeah.

Let's get rid of all the self-serving, media-whoring politicians who are only in it for the power, the money & to look after number one and replace them with Michael O'Leary, the self serving, media-whoring businessman who is only in it for the power, the money & to look after number one.

That's a great idea, Ted.
    But he'd tell it like it is - in a no nonsense style. Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

The post you're talking about isn't the OP's, its starbelgrade's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

gigino wrote: »
    O'Leary made a tiny airline in Ireland Europes - if not the worlds -most successful airline. Ryanair is worth billions and is a major success story - one of the few household Irish business names in Europe.

And our politicians achievement is ?

I don't think Ireland's politicians achievements are all that great, but you can't compare running a business to running a country - governments are not in the business of making money, nor should they be... they are there to manage economies but must also do so with a sense of social responsibility.

If Ryanair brought social responsibility into the equation, they would not be the successful business they are now.

Margaret Thatcher tried running the British economy like a business & when she left power she had almost broken the spirit of the nation & nearly left the country bankrupt.

Even Michael O'Leary has said that he would not make a good politician because he only has his own interests at heart, which is what makes him an exceptional businessman.

You could say that politicians only have their own interests at heart too, but I'd like to think that we should at least try & elect people who aren't so blatantly self serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

"Difficult decisions aren't easy"

Captain Obvious (Enda Kenny)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Would a sterile Ballsbridge accent be better? your attitude stinks of the boom years where it was style over substance, if you think other nations judge us by our accents then your sadly mistaken, they judge us on our actions and our actions have not been good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Dudess wrote: »
    But he'd tell it like it is - in a no nonsense style. Etc.

Disagree, he would be as self serving as the others within time.

Advertisement