Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of the Nation address thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jesus ****, we've turned into a nation of negative arseholes.

So I'm supposed to be positive that I have no future in this country? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Enda was fairly honest that things are bad and are going to be bad for a while but he was also positive about the future.

What did people expect? "Crisis over. Celtic Tiger is back. Go out and spend money you don't have again."

me thinks you might be confusing dark irish humor with negativity
    this is AH after all

just dont make any german jokes - i think they are watching :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

That_Guy wrote: »
    So I'm supposed to be positive that I have no future in this country? :rolleyes:

Thank you for proving my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Enda was fairly honest that things are bad and are going to be bad for a while but he was also positive about the future.

What did people expect? "Crisis over. Celtic Tiger is back. Go out and spend money you don't have again."

True, at least he did this address. We know we're going to be in for tough budgets over the next few years, we have no choice. Unfortunately the past can't be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

token56 wrote: »
    Seriously can someone actually tell me what was the point of that?

The basic gist of it I got was we are screwed, rabble rabble rabble, we want to create more jobs, rabble rabble rabble, tough budget rabble rabble rabble, things will get better but only before they get a lot worse, rabble rabble rabble, see you all for the raping that will be the budget and by the way it's not our fault.

We all knew this and anyone who didn't has been living under a rock for the past 4 years. If it was supposed to be inspiring or put us at ease somewhat, it wasn't. But that might have more to do with his lack of charisma. So again I ask, what was the point?

There was no point to it, but it has become recieved political wisdom in Ireland that Brian Cowen's unpopularity largely stemmed from his failure to 'communicate with the people' and not was not solely due to his presiding over a government that ruined the country.
    So Kenny is simply hoping that he will avoid this fate; he may be about to make things even worse but he's 'communicating with the people'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭amacca

I expect if one is going to make a state of a nation address it will not be with the specific purpose of simply stating the obvious

was it meant to be inspiring or something....I hate to be negative but I dont believe it was really

To me it was a party political broadcast that backfired so therefore unnecessary from everyone's point of view unless of course we really are a nation of gobsh1tes that need mammy Enda to tell it like it is

My internet connection died for about 20 minutes after that speech!
    The keyboard warriors must be on the offensive all typing and not reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

What a load of sh!te, we're fcuked for God knows how long if we stay here thanks to bailing out the banks thanks to Brian Lenihan. I feel so hopeless for our future, I really do.

So the new government is not bailing out the banks anymore?

so who won the sweepstake ?? i need to pay of some nutter called john boy and need a few bob pronto :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

dj jarvis wrote: »
    so who won the sweepstake ?? i need to pay of some nutter called john boy and need a few bob pronto :eek:

Whoever wins it will need a big back garden for my lions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

So the message was: you are not responsible, but by **** you're going to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭pavb2

just dont make any german jokes - i think they are watching

I hear you're a bit of a racist now father dj

skelliser wrote: »
    So the message was: you are not responsible, but by **** you're going to pay

like I said...bend over and take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭token56

We all know it was bad and will be for sometime and like I said anybody who didn't know that has been living under a rock.

Yes he was trying to be positive about the future, but there was very little substance beyond what we already knew to convince people in my opinion. The only thing I learned was there will be a referendum regarding the Seanad next year. Nothing regarding the state of the EU was said as far as I can remember also. I know he is not in charge of it and has little influence over it but I think there should have been some acknowledgement that the EU in large is in trouble and even if we do everything we can, we might still be fecked.

Nobody expected him to come and say it was all actually a joke and things will be fine. I also respect the fact he did actually address the nation when we are in trouble but there was nothing there to give the ordinary person any hope in my opinion. The average person who watched that tomorrow will wake up feeling no less confident or negative in my opinion. Maybe wrong and others found it more inspirational than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

I wonder how much avondale paid for that advert beforehand!

billybudd wrote: »
    I wonder how much avondale paid for that advert beforehand!

500,000 euro mark pixie dollars!

pavb2 wrote: »
    just dont make any german jokes - i think they are watching

I hear you're a bit of a racist now father dj

anyway it was not the germans - it was the feckin greeks that started it

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

Yurt wrote: »
    Love Hate will be on after my Address
    There replacing all that actors with the cast of fair city

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

No, but that was a complete waste of fucking time.

And he looked like a fucking twat.

[QUOTE=pavb2;75825432]just dont make any german jokes - i think they are watching

I hear you're a bit of a racist now father dj[/QUOTE]

Ah well...I can always take a joke :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Kenny suggested that there will be people on the dole for years before they find work.

looks like ireland has reverted to type! 20 years of recession and emigration.

if you can get out! get out soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Deficit €16 Billion now.

According to Enda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

If I could get near Inda Kenny I'd give that focking w@nker some kick in the head.

I'd love to make my way through Leinster House with a pair of steel toe caps.

Bunch of focking liars and cnuts. The lot of them. Fine Gael are no diffent to Fianna Fail or to Labour.

woodoo wrote: »
    Deficit €16 Billion now.

How much was it, before Enda took over?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A picture says a thousands words: http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8325/endakennytaoiseach.png

SAFE for work.

woodoo wrote: »
    Deficit €16 Billion now.

ow....my poor poor eyes.

Lars1916 wrote: »

28 billion when we took the bail out if im not mistaken - but dont quote me

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lars1916 wrote: »

Come down a couple of Billion when the bank payments are taken out, but then that was mostly FF's budget, not Enda's.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭token56

dj jarvis wrote: »
    28 billion when we took the bail out if im not mistaken - but dont quote me

I just did :D

• Advertisement

token56 wrote: »
    I just did :D

ah crap!!! is that legally binding ???

Advertisement