Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of the Nation address thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

hondasam wrote: »
    Do you really judge people by their accent? If he had a posh accent would it be better?
    Yes, yes it would. It would be less cringe inducing anyway. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭who what when

Solnskaya wrote: »
    Do we come across as a bunch of thicks and gombeens to other nations?

With posts like that yes you do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

It sounded like he was broadcasting to the royale family [the show!] but didnt realise all they are interested in is beer and is there more in the fridge and whats the latest tracksuit is and wont have the attention span needed without watching someone playing football

*I fully accept there are stereotypes in the above

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I was working up the North for the last while, and today I listened to Radio 1s coverage of Inda kInnys "speech to the natshiun", and frankly, he came across as a total buffoon speaking gibberish and platitudes, with a leprechaun accent as an added kicker. He also sounded totally disingenuous. Most of the Irish people I deal with daily are well educated, worldly and pretty sophisticated and yet we end up being represented by a bunch of spivs with nothing but their own self-interest at heart. Are we as a people really that thick? The presenters on Radio 1 seemed to have a fairly patronising attitude to Kennys diatribe-in fairness it was hard not to agree. Do we come across as a bunch of thicks and gombeens to other nations?

Well, your doing your bit anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I was working up the North for the last while, and today I listened to Radio 1s coverage of Inda kInnys "speech to the natshiun", and frankly, he came across as a total buffoon speaking gibberish and platitudes, with a leprechaun accent as an added kicker. He also sounded totally disingenuous. Most of the Irish people I deal with daily are well educated, worldly and pretty sophisticated and yet we end up being represented by a bunch of spivs with nothing but their own self-interest at heart. Are we as a people really that thick? The presenters on Radio 1 seemed to have a fairly patronising attitude to Kennys diatribe-in fairness it was hard not to agree. Do we come across as a bunch of thicks and gombeens to other nations?

While I agree that Enda Kenny sounded disingenous, I take exception to the fact that he sounds like a buffon with a leprachaun accent. He comes across as well spoken, well educated and well mannered and anyone I know who has met him has found him a very likeable chap.

I disagree with his politics, but I don't think he's an idiot or makes us look like idiots to other nations.

• Advertisement

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    This kind of poorly written rant is exactly why I rarely post in AH

Maybe try some spacing to make your babble some way readable?
    Poorly written? You wish. It's not a rant, it is a cringe. I cringed listening to that cringe inducing, disingenuous spiel he disgourged on us. In his bog man accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Do you really judge people by their accent? If he had a posh accent would it be better?

Posh like Bertie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

While I agree that Enda Kenny sounded disingenous, I take exception to the fact that he sounds like a buffon with a leprachaun accent. He comes across as well spoken, well educated and well mannered and anyone I know who has met him has found him a very likeable chap.

I disagree with his politics, but I don't think he's an idiot or makes us look like idiots to other nations.

+1

Bit rich for this guy to be calling anyone stupid when he can't even spell "leprechaun", "buffoon" or "disingenuous"

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

Jesus, after Cowen even Bertie would sound like Obama. I think no matter what you made of the speech, I don't think it's fair to say he sounded thick. I thought he sounded very well spoken.

it was like watching bush in one of his speak to the nation speaches about killing bin laden :rolleyes:

fcukin lame and condescending...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

in this country, the quality of people who go in to politics is very low.

If only we had a Michael O'Leary leading the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭eire.man

This kind of poorly written rant is exactly why I rarely post in AH

Maybe try some spacing to make your babble some way readable?

yes cos that's really the issue at hand here alright!!

*confused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Yes, yes it would. It would be less cringe inducing anyway. Sorry.

That is stupid imo, you cannot judge a person on their accent. He is Irish btw, what accent do you think he should have.

Poorly written? You wish. It's not a rant, it is a cringe. I cringed listening to that cringe inducing, disingenuous spiel he disgourged on us. In his bog man accent.

Yes it's terribly written, littered with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, not sure why I would wish that though?:confused:

You're point is idiotic at its core too considering Enda, while he may be a piss poor politician, is very well spoken.

Well, your doing your bit anyway...
    Yes, yes I am - employing a fully Irish workforce on a "foreign" contract. And paying the Tax on their wages to our government, who come across as a bunch of thick spivs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

gigino wrote: »

Couldnt have him either. His accent is'nt right ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

If you wish to attack anything he said please do. But just attacking a person for how they sound or look, is not very good is it. If there is a specific thing or things you disagree with post it let's attack his views not how he sounds. Maybe if we picked more people to run this country on what they say rater than how nice their accent is we might have some hope.

Are you Irish? you really have a problem with the Irish accent.
    chucken1 wrote: »
    Posh like Bertie :D

Oh ya:D

You've never been to Mayo then, I take it.. believe me, Enda Kenny's accent is an uber posh Mayo accent.

while he may be a piss poor politician

and whats a good one? someone who will do something for you around the parish pumps? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Well a school principle runs the country and the only reason he's leader is because of time served - says it all really.

+1

Bit rich for this guy to be calling anyone stupid when he can't even spell "leprechaun", "buffoon" or "disingenuous"
    I presume you are being sarcastic? Spelling is one area I don't fall down in, even if I may be an arrogant twat (in some peoples opinion:))in other areas. Edit-Oops, just Actually read your post correctly, sorry about the above, stick, end, wrong, etc.
    Actually, I'm Irish, and I'm proud too, and I don't want some fool representing us internationally to a standard that would NOT be accepted in any other developed nation. Our leaders are pi55 poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

People who refer to our politicians as the politcal elite are thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That is stupid imo, you cannot judge a person on their accent. He is Irish btw, what accent do you think he should have.

except people from Cark obviously.

I presume you are being sarcastic? Spelling is one area I don't fall down in, even if I may be an arrogant twat (in some peoples opinion:))in other areas.

Well no I wasn't being sarcastic considering you spelt those words wrong in your OP

So yes I would call that an area you "fall down in"

• Registered Users Posts: 82,093 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You might not have heard of Missahs Hillary's Alabama speech during the 2008 Presidential Circus.

gigino wrote: »

Yeah.

Let's get rid of all the self-serving, media-whoring politicians who are only in it for the power, the money & to look after number one and replace them with Michael O'Leary, the self serving, media-whoring businessman who is only in it for the power, the money & to look after number one.

That's a great idea, Ted.

Well no I wasn't being sarcastic considering you spelt those words wrong in your OP

So yes I would call that an area you "fall down in"
    No I didn't. Anyway, I'm not being anti Irish, I love my country, but most of the people I deal with daily are well educated and worldly, yet those who represent us seem to be a self-serving gang of gob****e5 - why do so few of the bright, intelligent Irish people head into politics? Why does it seem to be the domain of Crombie wearing, gombeen cattle dealers?

No I didn't. Anyway, I'm not being anti Irish, I love my country, but most of the people I deal with daily are well educated and worldly, yet those who represent us seem to be a self-serving gang of gob****e5 - why do so few of the bright, intelligent Irish people head into politics? Why does it seem to be the domain of Crombie wearing, gombeen cattle dealers?

What is this?

That's your opinion and you are welcome to it. You have a problem with Irish people in general it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Let's get rid of all the self-serving, media-whoring politicians who are only in it for the power, the money & to look after number one and replace them with Michael O'Leary, the self serving, media-whoring businessman who is only in it for the power, the money & to look after number one.
    O'Leary made a tiny airline in Ireland Europes - if not the worlds -most successful airline. Ryanair is worth billions and is a major success story - one of the few household Irish business names in Europe.

And our politicians achievement is ?

Advertisement