Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lighting General discussion, read here before posting a question.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Personally I am going with a mixture of different surface mounted light fixtures, in the living room I will have track lighting which gives you great flexibility in terms of lighting the areas you want and adding more track and spots if you require. The big blue shop on the M50 has some reasonable stuff availabe.

In the kitchen I will have those spots mounted on two wires across the room close to the ceiling and some led ribbons under the wall units.

No worries with airtightness, fire risk or overheating bulbs with those options.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Do-more wrote: »
    The big blue shop on the M50

:D....took about 5 seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bargain hunt

Can i seal in the led down lights without fire risk for airthightness or will they blow too?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,895 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to electrical forum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Pics say more than words.;):)

Philips Master 4W LED GU10
    Fireproof downlight cover
    Rockwool 100mm slab insulation
    Knauf Carbon Zero 170mm insulation.

Job Done.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 bargain hunt

Where did you get the fire proof cover and how much?

Some pics of the Greenlamp LED B22 and E27 bulbs in the main bedroom ceiling light,and also in the bedside table lamps.

Very nice light off them and perfect for a bedroom.:)

Main ceiling light is only 6 watt,and the 2 bedside table lamps are 3 watt each.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Thanks lads. I did some lights over the weekend and they didn't really dim that much. Thanks for the info.
    my dimmers in the kitchen and dining room have 7 bulbs off each dimmer and it only dims about 5%, unless i replace one of the LED's with one of the old halogens, in which case the whole lot will dim properly.

rumours are that it *could* reduce the life of the LED's, but as a stopgap measure it works fine for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    not too bad paddy-i know i went a bit ott on you a few times:)
    do the wholesalers sell those new type flyleads with the sheath and the cord grip?
    i don't buy any of this stuff these days

still not totally convinced about the flylead wiring into the obo though

Paddy is not too bad with all his photos. Some useful ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

paddy147 wrote: »
    Pics say more than words.;):)

Philips Master 4W LED GU10
    Fireproof downlight cover
    Rockwool 100mm slab insulation
    Knauf Carbon Zero 170mm insulation.

Job Done.:)

not too bad paddy-i know i went a bit ott on you a few times:)
    do the wholesalers sell those new type flyleads with the sheath and the cord grip?
    i don't buy any of this stuff these days

still not totally convinced about the flylead wiring into the obo though

• Advertisement

Looks like I used the time machine for quoting now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

oh ya i always redo the edited posts-ocd im afraid

i still reckon paddys a rep for philips-:pac:dunno how he keeps under the radar

they're usually pretty quick here:D

M cebee wrote: »
    oh ya i always redo the edited posts-ocd im afraid

i still reckon paddys a rep for philips-:pac:dunno how he keeps under the radar

they're usually pretty quick here:D

Then I must be a rep for Greenlamp B22/E27 LED light bulbs too.:pac::D

All joking aside,Im not a rep for anything or anyone.

Im not even a sparks FFS.:D

Where did you get the fire proof cover and how much?

Downlight Covers Direct.Irish Company.

Tenner per cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ed electrical

I wouldn't seal them in, will cause problems down the line even if it's just for painting, never mind fittings going faulty. go the led route if you can, but the dimmable led lamps can be expensive.

Ed

I wouldn't seal them in, will cause problems down the line even if it's just for painting, never mind fittings going faulty. go the led route if you can, but the dimmable led lamps can be expensive.

Ed

Painting?????

The downlight cover gets sealed up,not the actual downlight fitting.;)

You can still remove the downlight fitting and let it hang down,so the ceiling can be painted.

Simples.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ed electrical

Ed

Painting?????

The downlight cover gets sealed up,not the actual downlight fitting.;)

You cant still remove the downlight fitting and let it hang down,so the ceiling can be painted.

Simples.:)

Of course you are dead right! Silly me! ;-)

Pics say more than words.

Pics say more than words.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ledbulb

Hi, i have client who like to replace all lights in his pub to leds , in most part old lights are 12V MR16, is any point to replace transformers and put 12V leds. From my point of view better way is take off transformers and put GU10 main supply lights. Cheaper solution is just change sockets, what do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 pipsdad

ledbulb wrote: »
    Hi, i have client who like to replace all lights in his pub to leds , in most part old lights are 12V MR16, is any point to replace transformers and put 12V leds. From my point of view better way is take off transformers and put GU10 main supply lights. Cheaper solution is just change sockets, what do you think?

IMHO I'd get rid of the traffos and fit GU10 fittings.

Thanks ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

pipsdad wrote: »
    IMHO I'd get rid of the traffos and fit GU10 fittings.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Reading this whole thread with great interest... am determined to replace my gu10s now... (prob with 4w philips dimmable)

Just two simple questions...

Im used to the yellowey warm white of gu10 50w and 35w bulbs... so i take it that it is the 2700k warm white 4w bulbs i should go for?

And

Any recommendations on replacing 6 x 60w R63 ES Spot lights in the kitchen (pictured below)? - I would like to keep the R63 fittings and just replace the 60w R63 bulbs for approx equivalent LED ones.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7usE1zJQkthYMI8B1R01N-j33IE9lP26aa9q3vNrxdAz4nPY2Reflector-Bulb-R63-.jpg

Access wrote: »
    Reading this whole thread with great interest... am determined to replace my gu10s now... (prob with 4w philips dimmable)

Just two simple questions...

Im used to the yellowey warm white of gu10 50w and 35w bulbs... so i take it that it is the 2700k warm white 4w bulbs i should go for?

And

Any recommendations on replacing 6 x 60w R63 ES Spot lights in the kitchen (pictured below)? - I would like to keep the R63 fittings and just replace the 60w R63 bulbs for approx equivalent LED ones.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7usE1zJQkthYMI8B1R01N-j33IE9lP26aa9q3vNrxdAz4nPY2Reflector-Bulb-R63-.jpg

Yes 2700k 4 watt Philips Master LEDs are warm white.

And make sure you get the "40 degree" angle bulbs too,this will give you a nice wide beam of light.:)

DSCF9223.jpg
    DSCF5720.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

You can get draughts through each fitting due to the cooling holes around the bulb edge. This is likely to be worse if there is an attic space above but any ceiling space may have draughts blowing through it.
    So for good airtight insulation they are not ideal.

Access I think better options is change fittingsthe R63 for gu10 after that you will have wide range of LED light sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

freddyuk wrote: »
    You can get draughts through each fitting due to the cooling holes around the bulb edge.

The newer 4W philips bulbs don't have the holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Are they same spec.? I assume they would have to redesign or run cooler in some way to prevent early failure as the holes were there to keep the unit cool enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

freddyuk wrote: »
    Are they same spec.? I assume they would have to redesign or run cooler in some way to prevent early failure as the holes were there to keep the unit cool enough.

Yeah same spec, 2700k, 4W (35 watt halogen replacement), 40 Degree light, dimmable. I just got a load of them put in. Same price.

http://download.p4c.philips.com/l4b/9/929000212702_eu/929000212702_eu_pss_aen.pdf

Advertisement