Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lighting General discussion, read here before posting a question.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They are back in stock now.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Cushtie

just ordered 10 of them there from Eurosales (they said they were going low on stock again!) they will deliver no problem but by courier company only.

€8.50 + Vat each and around €12 courier charge (DPD)

Works out at around €11.75 per bulb all in.

I should have them Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

So I want to replace all of the 50/35w GU10's I have in my house.

What should I go for.

5 in the Kitchen, 9 in the Hall and 2 upstairs.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Got another box of Philips 4w's on Friday - 100% happy with them.
    eiei0 wrote: »
    So I want to replace all of the 50/35w GU10's I have in my house.

What should I go for.

5 in the Kitchen, 9 in the Hall and 2 upstairs.

Thanks
    If you read the thread, the above 4w led's are claimed to replace a 35w halogen but, in personal experience, they're easily as good as the 50w.
    there's also a 6w (I think) Phillips in the same range that Euorsales sell - and it says on the box that it's a 50w halogen equivalent but they're about €16+vat as opposed to the 4w which are €8.50+vat.
    A mate of mine bought some of the higher power ones but I haven't seen them in action yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Thanks for that I had seen them mentioned allright.

Anywhere in Kildare I can get these ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Ikea selling 5watt LED's for €7.11 . I have switched some Halogen 12v to GU10 and I'd say they are about equivalent to 35watt .

I got the GU10 lamp holders in B&Q . ( Came with a 40watt GU10 Halogen bulb) for €4.90 . I spoke to an electrician in B&Q and he said that the ouput equivalent wattage varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. No standard to calculate output wattage equivalent .

He showed me a 2 watt LED that produces the equivalent of 100watt but I declined as it cost €20 euro.

Anyone know where you can GU10 lampholders on there own.. ?

Dak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Digger

dak wrote: »
    Ikea selling 5watt LED's for €7.11 . I have switched some Halogen 12v to GU10 and I'd say they are about equivalent to 35watt .

I got the GU10 lamp holders in B&Q . ( Came with a 40watt GU10 Halogen bulb) for €4.90 . I spoke to an electrician in B&Q and he said that the ouput equivalent wattage varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. No standard to calculate output wattage equivalent .

He showed me a 2 watt LED that produces the equivalent of 100watt but I declined as it cost €20 euro.

Anyone know where you can GU10 lampholders on there own.. ?

Dak

http://www.futureled.ie/en/6-accessories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Digger

Thanks Mr Digger !
    No Worries..:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You can buy GU10 tails/bulb holders seperately from any decent electrical wholesalers.

They are as cheap as chips.

I wouldnt be bothered buying anything from BnQ,as they are an absolute ripp off with their pricing.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    You can buy GU10 tails/bulb holders seperately from any decent electrical wholesalers.

They are as cheap as chips.

I wouldnt be bothered buying anything from BnQ,as they are an absolute ripp off with their pricing.

Realise that now after buying a load Bulbs and holders just for holders. I have paid for at least 12 GUI 40W Halogen bulbs that I don't need . Might put them on adverts.ie for €2 a pop !

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'd be very surprised if you find that you need more than the 35w ones, unless you have them a long way apart and need the extra power.

i found (in our place at least) that the 4w ones were plenty enough to replace the old 50w halogens in the house.

i've only got 10 so far, but i'm only using them in the kitchen and dining room at the moment (probably the brightest most well lit rooms in the house) and i find that they are still plenty good enough and rarely need to have the dimmer all the way up to full power.

my advice would be to try a few of the 4w ones out before you make up your mind they're not bright enough, i'm sure that even if you do find that they're not up to your needs that there will be other areas of your house that doesn't need to be quite as brightly lit where they will still be sufficient.

Cheers vibe666. I took your advice and shot down to Ringsend again to Eurosales and got four of the 4watt Philips LED spots (non-dimmable). I put all four in the bathroom upstairs just earlier. Very happy with them, so far anyway. They do appear to be just as bright as the previous 50w lights I had in, or as little less as makes no practical difference to the quality of the light.

E8.50 plus the VAT made it €10.45 each. Dear enough I suppose, but the savings should make up for that in time. They are definitely brighter than the greenlamp 3w ones I mentioned earlier in the thread. I stuck the two of them outside in the porch and they are grand AND i don't get too annoyed if someone forgets to switch them off at night. My plan now is to go and get four of them a month and change over to them gradually throughout the house as we have something in the region of 32 of them on the go.

Thanks again for the dig out folks. Another practical success in my life courtesy of boards.ie (note to self...I need to get out more).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

glad it worked out for you in the end.

ii'v jus got my 2nd batch and i've discovered that my dimmer only works if i have at least one halogen in the set the simmer is controlling, otherwise with all LED's it only dims about 5% from full power. :(

time to get new dimmers i guess, as they're actually too bright with no dimming for my needs.

also, the new batch in eurosales is slightly different cosmetically than the last lot i got, although the output seems to be identical, despite what the guy in the shop seemed to think. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 polik

vibe666 did you hear about LEDON Lamp?

polik wrote: »
    vibe666 did you hear about LEDON Lamp?
    no, do tell us about them Mr. 1 post. :rolleyes:

waits for sales pitch, swiftly followed by a ban. :D

ledon 4w gu10 dimmables were twice the price of the equiv. phillips master anywhere i could actually find them for sale. for that price they'd want to be pretty fecking special.

:D I think that everyone have right to express their own opinion and there is no need to be rude - you started posting your opinions while ago, I'm doing this now ;)

I can see that you did not perform right researches, Ledon is available in Ireland - do your homework...

Ledon do not have dimmable version for 4W spot - do your homework ...

4W spot it's not only what Philips offer as well Ledon.

Looking forward to share my observation with you later :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

all good stuff lads, it's true this is the general LED discussion not limited to manufacturer. We are interested in all genuine opinions polik, it's just that when someone comes on with just one post and mentions a product we can get suspicious, but please stay on the forum and give us your opinion on other lamps.

I think personally that there is room for a more intense /powerful LED than the current crop of 4Watts that I have seen. Just because a lamp can't be dimmed should not rule it out, for someone like me with no need for dimmable lamps, I would be interested in the most cost effective and intense LED lamp, i would sacrifice dimming capability for "brightness"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

vibe666 wrote: »
    glad it worked out for you in the end.

ii'v jus got my 2nd batch and i've discovered that my dimmer only works if i have at least one halogen in the set the simmer is controlling, otherwise with all LED's it only dims about 5% from full power. :(

time to get new dimmers i guess, as they're actually too bright with no dimming for my needs.

also, the new batch in eurosales is slightly different cosmetically than the last lot i got, although the output seems to be identical, despite what the guy in the shop seemed to think. :)

some sellers state that using halogens in conjunction with leds dramatically reduces lamp life
    don't know how true it is

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

M cebee wrote: »
    some sellers state that using halogens in conjunction with leds dramatically reduces lamp life
    don't know how true it is

any reason for this? or just wholesaler folklore?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Stoner wrote: »
    any reason for this? or just wholesaler folklore?
    Probably 50/50 - halogens are gonna give a spike when switched off that in simple electronics terms should harm an LED circuit that wasn't protected against it.
    Just a guess, but I'd speculate that the 'dimmable' ones would last better in this situation because they'd have to withstand the chopped waveform sent by dimmers which would be equally as bad due to reactance spikes.

• Advertisement

thanks for that.
    I'd also imagine that mixing 50W halogens and 4W LEDs on the same dimmed circuit would bring new problems to the table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

http://www.futureled.ie/en/content/2-legal-notice
    in the legal section

no idea myself i just bring it up for devilment really:)

Steve wrote: »
    Probably 50/50 - halogens are gonna give a spike when switched off that in simple electronics terms should harm an LED circuit that wasn't protected against it.
    Just a guess, but I'd speculate that the 'dimmable' ones would last better in this situation because they'd have to withstand the chopped waveform sent by dimmers which would be equally as bad due to reactance spikes.

As I known this is correct. That's why we should invest a bit more and by branded LED bulbs. They are equip with dedicated driver (design for that specific bulb) that preventing this kind of situation. Some of LED lamps are tested for 1000000 cycles. In cheaper bulbs manufacturers are "cutting the corner" ... that's why they cost a few Euros.

:D I think that everyone have right to express their own opinion and there is no need to be rude - you started posting your opinions while ago, I'm doing this now ;)
    the difference being, you offered nothing except a link to a single product in your first post, which to anyone with even a small bit of experience on any forum usually means that someone is a sales rep of some sort for that product.
    I can see that you did not perform right researches, Ledon is available in Ireland - do your homework...
    i never said they weren't available. if i'm supposed to do my homework, the least you can do is learn to read. :rolleyes:
    Ledon do not have dimmable version for 4W spot - do your homework ...
    my mistake there. one of the few bulbs they sell that isn't dimmable for some reason, but excellent product knowledge on your part, it's almost like you're selling them. :rolleyes:

so what you're actually saying is, not only is it almost twice the price of the phillips master LED, it's not even dimmable. not a very good sales pitch imho. would you like me to do more homework?
    4W spot it's not only what Philips offer as well Ledon.
    not quite sure what you're trying to say here, but i assume you mean ledon and phillips sell more than one type of bulb? is this supposed to be some kind of revelation? :confused:
    Looking forward to share my observation with you later :)
    yes, quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

As I known this is correct. That's why we should invest a bit more and by branded LED bulbs. They are equip with dedicated driver (design for that specific bulb) that preventing this kind of situation. Some of LED lamps are tested for 1000000 cycles. In cheaper bulbs manufacturers are "cutting the corner" ... that's why they cost a few Euros.

I wish I could understand what it is you're trying to say?:confused:

Branded product might offer some more re-assurance, but absolutely no guarantee. You need to check product packaging to determine if product specification matches requirements/needs otherwise I would suggest the OEM as a better source for determining the presence of any obsolescence.

vibe666 - I'm not a rep.
    I'm currently working on some project and as far as I can see there is a number of differences for how and what kind of information being presented by LED lamps manufacturers. Some of them are very misleading and I had to dig a little dipper to find out which is better in different field.

Sonnenblumen - sorry, you are right. I was doing two thing in the one time and my post looks like out of the sky.
    Just a guess, but I'd speculate that the 'dimmable' ones would last better in this situation because they'd have to withstand the chopped waveform sent by dimmers which would be equally as bad due to reactance spikes
    Stoner - thanks for that.
    I'd also imagine that mixing 50W halogens and 4W LEDs on the same dimmed circuit would bring new problems to the table

Mixing 50W halogens and 4W LEDs it's not a problem (I guess). The problem is with the dimmer. Not every LED lamp is compatible with every dimmer.

For example:

Busch & Jaeger dimmer will be OK with 4 of Philips dimm LEDs (or Osram, Toshiba, Aurora ...) in one circuit but problem occur when 7 lamps in circuit, dimming might not be that smooth or lamps starts flickering or Philips and others might not be compatible with this dimmer at all.

If I'll be in your position I would check that lamps have been tested and found compatible with dimmer. Quick check will save you money on dimmers or LED lamps.
    Sonnenblumen - Branded product might offer some more re-assurance, but absolutely no guarantee.

Manufacturers usually have guarantee - 2, 3 ,4 years. This is depending of lifespan of the lamp. According to European Commission the average use of a lamp is 1,000 hours a year, which is based on the assumption of 3 burning hours per day on average. So if lifespan is 30 000 h the warranty will be most likely 3 years, of course this is depending of make model and chip used ( COB, MCOB or SMD). If something will happen during this time you can use your warranty and make a claim.

But most likely you know this ...

vibe666 - I'm not a rep.
    I'm currently working on some project and as far as I can see there is a number of differences for how and what kind of information being presented by LED lamps manufacturers. Some of them are very misleading and I had to dig a little dipper to find out which is better in different field.
    then you have my apologies. :)

just out of curiosity, in your experience what other brands of LED bulbs would you recommend?

I have been looking at leds and asking questions in shops lately and there appears to be no guidance/ standard on the lumens value that a led emmits.

I have seen a 2watt ( irish made ) in B&Q for about €20 which claims to emit 80watt . Some advise that a 5watt is equivalent to 35/50watt but ones i got in Ikea state 136 Lumens which is about 15 watt. However I would say they do appear to be about 35watt up and only slighly dimmer than the 50watt 12V halogens they replaced !

Very confusing !

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pipsdad

Some dimmers, like some transformers, have a minimum and maximun load requirement, for LEDs a trailing edge dimmer switch will do the job.

• Advertisement

I have been looking at leds and asking questions in shops lately and there appears to be no guidance/ standard on the lumens value that a led emmits.

I have seen a 2watt ( irish made ) in B&Q for about €20 which claims to emit 80watt . Some advise that a 5watt is equivalent to 35/50watt but ones i got in Ikea state 136 Lumens which is about 15 watt. However I would say they do appear to be about 35watt up and only slighly dimmer than the 50watt 12V halogens they replaced !

Very confusing !

the information for calculations is available, did you want to use something like DIALux or RELUX
    http://www.lighting.philips.com/main/connect/tools_literature/dialux_and_other_downloads.wpd

We use these a bit if you didn't know already they are free. Unfortunately the industry is incorrectly driven by the wattage equivalent comparison, and even more so on the part of LED comparisons.
    Halogen lamp watt comparison, the issue here is that there are two different types of halogen lamps used in Ireland and they differer on light intensity, the manufactures seem to compare to the lower of the two halogen lamp types so if you are more used to the light from the higher intensity lamp (12V halogen) you might be disappointed, obviously you may have the 230V halogen lamps at home, and in that case you will be more likely to be satisfied with the watt "output" comparison.

Advertisement