Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lighting General discussion, read here before posting a question.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

They are air tight/fire surpressent hoods for downlights.

They prevent any air comming out through the hole in the ceiling and also are fireproof too.

They are there for life.

My Philips Master LEDs produce fcuk all heat,and Ive held one in my hand for well over 30 minutes and it was barely warm to the touch.They only have 1 single LED in them.

The downlights hoods are 150mm wide and 100mm tall.They can also be had in 150mm tall too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

We have installed about 50 LED GU10s in our new house, all Philips, all 40 deg beam.

The majority are 4W dimmables - the illumination from these is visibly less than a standard 50W halogen, enough to leave our hallway and landing looking dim. I have had to put a 7W above the stairwell to brighten it up.

We also have 4W in the kitchen fittings, again I feel that I will have to supplement these with undercabinet strip lighting as my wife finds it too dim

In the bathrooms we used the 5.5W (non-dimmable) - these are much more the equivalent of a 50W

Have 6 x 7W dimmables in the vaulted ceiling of the sunroom, in surface mounted fittings. These provide an excellent spread of light over an area of 4.5 x 4.5m. Only problem, these were about €25 each from Eurosales. They do a great job though. Beware, they are longer than standard GU10 so won't fit in some fittings.

p.s. Also using the downlighter covers shown by Paddy147 above - they do the job, sufficiently sized to allow dissipation of the small amount of heat from the LEDS. About €7 a pop, and appear to be manufactured in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Agree the 4W are not adequate replacements for 50W halogen but they don't claim to be. The box says they are equivalent to 35W halogen.

Also, with LED's I think you need the downlighters closer together as the beam is 40 degrees.

The best compromise solution if changing from halogen is to increase the number of 4W bulbs as you'll get equivalent brightness and not suffer from large dim areas. Obviously that's difficult if just swapping out existing halogen bulbs.

Philips Master 4W dimmable:

2012-06-09102621.jpg

2012-06-09120441.jpg

2012-06-09103324.jpg

2012-06-29160250.jpg

Ive no problem with the Philips Master LEDs,I think the light quality is fine,in fact its perfect for me and my family.

I also installed 3 watt and 6 watt LED bulbs on the landing,in the bedrooms and all the table and floor lamps too.:)

DSCF0461.jpg
    DSCF5979.jpg

paddy147 wrote: »
    Ive no problem with the Philips Master LEDs,I think the light quality is fine,in fact its perfect for me and my family.

I also installed LED bulbs on the landing,in the bedrooms and all the table and floor lamps too.:)

I don't have a problem with them either, I'm delighted with them. Replacing Halogen bulbs was wrecking my head and the energy cost was significant........but if people are expecting them to be equivalent to 50W halogens they will be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ledbulb

What light colour has the Philips master. Do you notice any difference in light colour compare to the halogen?

ledbulb wrote: »
    What light colour has the Philips master. Do you notice any difference in light colour compare to the halogen?

No difference. It's warm white.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

Trade Electric in Santry are also doing the 4W Philips Master Dimmable LED at €8.50 + vat.

I ask because i've tested a few Led gu10 bulbs and they where warm white colour but the colour was much cooler then halogen.
    So i don't know how it looks with Philips.

FMartinp will you send me link ,can't find it the 4W Philips Master Dimmable LEDn their online store. Thanks

• Advertisement

I ask because i've tested a few Led gu10 bulbs and they where warm white colour but the colour was much cooler then halogen.
    So i don't know how it looks with Philips.

They were described as warm white but was the colour temperature.

The pics I posted above give you a good idea. The colour temperature is 2700k which is similar to incandescent bulbs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Incand-3500-5500-color-temp-comparison.png

Philips Master 2700k LEDs are warm white.

Lovely light in fact.:)

What is the price for dimmable gu10 from Philips?

What is the price for dimmable gu10 from Philips?

8 euro 50 cents plus vat,for the 4 watt dimmable Master LEDs.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 The Cookie Monster

FMartinp wrote: »
    Trade Electric in Santry are also doing the 4W Philips Master Dimmable LED at €8.50 + vat.

Picked some up during the week.

Had a look at their LED floodlights, decent price, but thats a job for another weekend:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

8 euro 50 cents plus vat,for the 4 watt dimmable Master LEDs.:)

Would the dimmable LED bulbs work fine where there isn't a dimmer installed? Are there cheaper non-dimmable bulbs available from Philips?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

jprboy wrote: »
    Would the dimmable LED bulbs work fine where there isn't a dimmer installed? Are there cheaper non-dimmable bulbs available from Philips?

they may work even better not being dimmed, there are no cheaper philips options.

Are they working with normal dimmer or you have to change it?

Are they working with normal dimmer or you have to change it?

The Philips master leds will only work with certain types of dimmers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Jebus Paddy will you keep the pictures in the LED sticky !!! I'm going to merge this thread in there now anyway, save you a job.

BTW OP,

the ready insulated downlighters work very well , the lamp can be 10Watt max but it saves a lot of messing around with building/boxing/crazy solutions.

http://www.aurora.eu.com/ProductPages/LampProductDetails.aspx?g=7119&c=375&b=71&oc=375

a good few Irish wholesalers will get you these fittings

• Advertisement

Anyone know of 4 foot long T5 LED Tubes??

Aurora and Philips make T8 LED Tubes,but I need T5s.

Thanks.:)

Never meet led T5 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ledonstar do 1200mm LED T5's in 12w & 16w.

http://www.ledonstar.com/product/list-T5_LED_Tubes-en.html

maybe if you contact them directly they might have a reseller in ireland or let you buy online from them?

what about the strips paddy, they look well. Low profile, you can stick them on and cut them to size. Try and avoid the ones you need to solder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Stoner wrote: »
    what about the strips paddy, they look well. Low profile, you can stick them on and cut them to size. Try and avoid the ones you need to solder.

+1

Have used the robus packs of these and they are pretty handy. Odd screw not to rely on the stick on holders up other than that havent had any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

FMartinp will you send me link ,can't find it the 4W Philips Master Dimmable LEDn their online store. Thanks

Ledbulb, I'm not great at sending links etc.. but had a look at the Trade Electric online store and they are there under LED's although the price is more expensive than the in store offer of €8.50. I'm sure if you rang them in Dublin they'd send them out to you at the offer price.

Thanks to both Davy and Stoner.:)

Also thanks to Vibe for that link too.;):)

Problem with the led strips is that I dont know how bright they are/would be and how much light they would send to the bottom of the tank for the plants.

@ Ledbulb

Navan to Santry (TEG shop) is only 30 minutes of a drive,if even that.

TEG are right beside "The Swiss Cottage" Pub in Santry,which is just opposite the AIB bank.

The Philips Master 4 watts are 8 euro 50 cents plus vat.

Also that price in Eurosales too,they are in Glasnevin and Ringsend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 primeled

pyromania wrote: »
    could you recommend a good 12v led lamp for use in kitchen,bathroom area...

As wet in the kitchen or bathroom ,I guess you need get a cover to protect them, if use LED.

• Advertisement

freddyuk wrote: »
    Thanks for pointing that out.

Well the "PM me was a dead give away"

there's always adverts.ie you know, sister site of boards.ie where the buying and selling is handled.:)

Advertisement