Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lighting General discussion, read here before posting a question.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Redsquigy

Thanks. Are these really guaranteed for 15 years!! If so I would gladly buy them. I have been using the Eveready ones. How much are these each to buy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Redsquigy wrote: »
    How much are these each to buy?

8 euro 50 cents...plus VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Redsquigy

Thanks for that Paddy - now another question - do you have to be in the trade to go to Eurosales or where would I buy them. I am not in the trade just an ordinary joe soap housewife!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Thanks for that Paddy - now another question - do you have to be in the trade to go to Eurosales or where would I buy them. I am not in the trade just an ordinary joe soap housewife!!!

Virtually all companies have an active cash-from-customer separation policy in place so you will be more than welcome: during the boom the trade-only rules were there to cut out the " do you sell bulbs" questions (in a florist):D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Any member of the public can pop into Eurosales. I've bought a good few bits of them (I am not in the trade) and their prices are very good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thanks. Are these really guaranteed for 15 years!! If so I would gladly buy them. I have been using the Eveready ones. How much are these each to buy?

to be honest I could tell you in 13 years, they have lasted longer than some other manufacturers I have used, they also claimed to last 10 years + and came nowhere near it, I've yet to have one that needs replacing, I don't know if you could bring one back in 10 years and have it replaced either.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

Hello Stoner,
    Great advice, my house was built in 2005, all my down lighters (all 65 of them) have trannys, I take it I must replace with MR16 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

david4791 wrote: »
    Hello Stoner,
    Great advice, my house was built in 2005, all my down lighters (all 65 of them) have trannys, I take it I must replace with MR16 then?

It might be better and cheaper to use GU10 lampholders with (240V) GU10 LEDs and remove the transformers altogether. My electrical supplier tells me they have a lot of returns with the MR16 LEDs.

Avns
    Would that be a job for a sparks though? I'm trying to do a cost effective replacement of all Downlighters

Avns
    Would that be a job for a sparks though? I'm trying to do a cost effective replacement of all Downlighters

Not necessarily a job for a sparks. Its simply a case of disconnecting the transformers on the supply side (obviously) and connecting the two tails of the little GU10 lampholder. Power off first! Your existing light fitting should be fine.

As regards replacing all, perhaps it might be more cost effective to just replace those you use a lot for now. You might be a long time getting your return on LEDs replaced in rooms you rarely use or even enter. I would expect that LEDs will come down in price and improve further in quality of light over the next period.

• Advertisement

Good point, do the rooms which used most often such kitchen, lounge, halls.

Hi Avns1
    Another angle I was considering here was to just disconnect some of the bulbs in each room and just replace with one MR16 20 watt bulb, most of my rooms have 4 x 50 watt Downlighters believe it or not, it's like a bloody surgery room it's so bright.

Couldn't I just disconnect three of them by pulling two pin connection from rear of bulb and just insert one MR16 20 watt bulb in one light fitting only?

Would there be any fire hazard by having the connection point just sitting behind the un used bulbs? Might sound like a daft question but just wondering?

There will be a hell of a difference between 4 x 50W and the 1 x 20W. I would be inclined to suggest that whatever you would go for, that you would put the same bulb (LED or halogen) in each of the downlighters in the room for spread of light.

To answer your question though, there wouldn't be any issue with leaving the bulb connector disconnected at the back of the bulb.

Thanks for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I have a kitchen extension just 3 years old. It is A shaped with floor to ceiling height of approx. 4 metres at its highest point. There are
    10 GU10 240V (I think 35watt) lights (5 on each side). I have replaced these lights on numerous occasions as they keep blowing. They are meant to have 2000 hours on each of them. Any idea what could be the problem. There are only 4 working now, 2 on each side and it is driving me demented. I have to borrow a 3m ladder from somebody every time they go.
    :confused::confused:

I had the same problem using cheaper variety bulbs from Aldi, they never lasted that long. I've started using Phillips as replacements and I think they are definitely last a lot longer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

8 euro 50 cents plus vat from Eurosales in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Buzzbarr

I posted this question in an other thread aswell. Has anyone tried the philips 5.5w led gu10? I've seen them on the Philips website. Its supposed to = 50w halogen. It looks like it has 4 led lights in it. What kind of money are we talking for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'll vouch for the ones Paddy is talking about as well - just recently replaced 10 of them as a trial, light output is as near as dammit to a 50w halogen but slightly whiter. Practically no heat output from them either which I'm personally convinced was contributing to the halogens blowing. No complaints so far but they're only in a week or two so can't comment on lifetime.

From the box: * Philips master LED spot MV / 4W / 15yrs / 2700k / dimmable / GU10 / 220-240V 50/60Hz 26mA www.philips.com/masterled *

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Steve wrote: »
    I'll vouch for the ones Paddy is talking about as well - just recently replaced 10 of them as a trial, light output is as near as dammit to a 50w halogen but slightly whiter. *

In fairness to Phillips, they state on the box that the 4watt are equivalent to 35w halogens and not 50w but I'd agree...they're a very good substitute for a 50w halogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Leon245

Hi All, just wondering if anyone knows where these might be purchased online? I've tried amazon and ebay but the price is quite high, around 14.50 GBP.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Go to your local electrical wholesaler

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Leon245, we're just talking about the bulbs there - it doesn't include the fitting / holder. Maybe that's why you're seeing higher prices?

Philips website quote 35 gbp for pack of ten, meteor electrical supplies in northern Ireland are quite cheap too and post to ROI

Philips website quote 35 gbp for pack of ten, meteor electrical supplies in northern Ireland are quite cheap too and post to ROI
    Any chance you could pm me the link?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Any chance you could pm me the link?

No need to PM surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Post up the link please :-)

Davy wrote: »
    No need to PM surely?
    Just said that because I don't know if it's cool to post them here :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Just said that because I don't know if it's cool to post them here :)

If their was a problem, I'd say 'eurosales' would have been removed from the 1000 posts already on the topic :pac:

Davy wrote: »
    If their was a problem, I'd say 'eurosales' would have been removed from the 1000 posts already on the topic :pac:
    True, I wasn't thinking straight there :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

true, straight forward regular requests and linked replies form regular straight forward established users are fine.

I'm interested in the 10 for 35 pounds myself.:)

Advertisement