Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lighting General discussion, read here before posting a question.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Arciphel wrote: »
    None of them look like the Philips one tbh.

led_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Leon245

Steve wrote: »
    Leon245, we're just talking about the bulbs there - it doesn't include the fitting / holder. Maybe that's why you're seeing higher prices?

Yes, I'm just talking about the bulb only. See the average on amazon is about 15 GBP.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_19?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=philips+master+led+gu10&x=0&y=0&sprefix=philips+master+led+

I'm based just outside Ballina and as far as I know there isn't an electrical wholesaler nearby nor do our local hardware stores have them, hence my online search.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Leon245

Good link but the Philips master led gu10 type bulb I'm looking for isn't sold here unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 west boy

Just bought some led bulbs here, they have both dimmable and standard and the price is in line with wholesalers around.
    http://www.ledvista.ie/replacement-retrofit-led-bulbs/consumer-home-domestic/gu10-led-lamps-mains-voltage

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Buzzbarr

I bought some here http://www.futureled.ie I got the 60smd led they are brighter than my 50w halogens. I have gone from 450w to 27w. Its a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Cheers for the tip guys, just ordered from http://www.futureled.ie - 60smd.

Has anyone here actually got these LED SMD lights, or have ye just ordered them? Would be interested to hear how they compare, they have no brand name so I am thinking (rightly or wrongly) that they will be less bright and less reliable that the Philips. Let us know.

I bought one philips to see how it works. Its very good i cant complain. It cost me €12.10. I then bought four 60 smd led's to trial they are brighter than the philips. it gives out a less warm glow than the philips. It will take a week or so to get used to the shade of light. They are definitely brighter than the philips and the halogens. They too give out a warm glow but not like the philips or halogens. I have bought more and now my house has 15 of these in total. I have 9 in my kitchen 450w down to 27w. In total 750w down to 45w. I cant complain. With regards to reliability time will tell. Even if i only get 3 to 4 years out of them. I will have my money back in about 12 to 18 months.

• Advertisement

Cheers Buzzbarr, going to order 7 of them for the kitchen and see how they go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

ch750536 wrote: »
    Cheers for the tip guys, just ordered from http://www.futureled.ie - 60smd.

Arrived just now and are excellent, best I have tried.

Just got 10 of the cool white 60 LED SMD bulbs, very good value and great service from Allan at FutureLED, going to buy some light fittings for the upstairs now and switch everything in the house over :)

Arciphel wrote: »
    Just got 10 of the cool white 60 LED SMD bulbs, very good value and great service from Allan at FutureLED, going to buy some light fittings for the upstairs now and switch everything in the house over :)

I got the warm white ones. What are the cool white ones like are they a bit harsh on the eyes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Digger

Here are a couple of pics of my cooker hood with Warm and Cool White GU10's fitted. My photography skills aren't great, but hopefully you'll get the idea.

Warm White
    Picture1.jpg
    Cool White
    Picture2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭beebaw

i have a range of GU10 Halogen bulbs throughout my house and i want to replace them with standard LED bulbs. I have dimmer switches for all the GU10 Halogen bulbs around the house.

So what will happen if i replace the halogen bulbs with the standard LED bulbs and if i leave the dimmer switches. If the dimmer switch is dimmed will the LED bulbs blow of will they have no effect?

I know that you can get dimmable LED bulbs but they are very expensive so i just want to use the standard LED bulbs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It's pointless getting non dimmable ones, you will end up replacing more often and spending more in the long run. The new Philips master led are dimmable with certain dimmers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Davy wrote: »
    It's pointless getting non dimmable ones, you will end up replacing more often and spending more in the long run. The new Philips master led are dimmable with certain dimmers.

I wonder where you got that info from then with regards Philips Master LEDs????:D

Option B................A normal "on/off" switch plate is around a fiver,so its not exactly breaking the bank,and very easy to change out a dimmer switch to a normal switch plate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

paddy147 wrote: »
    I wonder where you got that info from then with regards Philips Master LEDs????:D

From here ;)http://download.p4c.philips.com/l4bt/3/322986/master_ledspot_mv_322986_ffs_eng.pdf
    paddy147 wrote: »
    Option B................A normal "on/off" switch plate is around a fiver,so its not exactly breaking the bank,and very easy to change out a dimmer switch to a normal switch plate.

It's what I would do but some people find it very hard to part with dimmers in my experience

Davy wrote: »
    From here ;)http://download.p4c.philips.com/l4bt/3/322986/master_ledspot_mv_322986_ffs_eng.pdf

It's what I would do but some people find it very hard to part with dimmers in my experience

Well if the OP wants to use non dimmable LEDs,then its absolutely pointless to keep a dimmer switch.

An extra fiver spent in a leccy wholesalers for a normal on/off switch plate and a few mins changing it over.

Job done.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

merging this with the sticky at the top of the page.

Keeping a dimmer on LEDs that cant be dimmed will most likely reduce the life of the lamp. Even if its a push on and off dimmer with rotary action, people will still try to dim them.

the basic Master LED lamp can be dimmed with most dimmer switches and should not cost much more that other brands. Keep in touch with the megaman website for their products too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Digger

@ Beebaw: Dimmer switch will kill non dimmable LED..end of story, I agree with paddy147's advice, get a rocker switch or get dimmable LED lamps, there is not that much in the difference in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just bought 10 of the Phillips Master MV 4W GU10's at Eurosales in the Dublin business park near Glasnevin cemetery for €8.50 +VAT each (just as a member of the public, not trade), so i'm a happy bunny. :)

will try them this evening in the kitchen and dining room to see what they're like and how they compare to the exiting 50W halogens and post back.

I just found a usage calculator on the ESB website here: https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential-energy-services/reduce-your-costs/web-calculator.jsp

according to that, 10 50W Halogen bulbs running for an average of 40 hours a week will cost €25.62 per 2 monthly billing cycle to run. :eek:

i've got dozens of the feckers in the house! :mad:

I didn't see an option for LED bulbs, but I'm assuming 4W is the same regardless of what type of bulb you're talking about, so I changed the wattage on the calculator to 4W and the price for 40 hours usage per 2 months drops to just €2.05! :D

so assuming that usage is reasonably accurate, they will have more or less paid for themselves in about 8 months, not to mention i won't have to change them every few months like the halogens due to them overheating. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

vibe666 wrote: »
    just bought 10 of the Phillips Master MV 4W GU10's at Eurosales in the Dublin business park near Glasnevin cemetery for €8.50 +VAT each (just as a member of the public, not trade), so i'm a happy bunny. :)

will try them this evening in the kitchen and dining room to see what they're like and how they compare to the exiting 50W halogens and post back.

I just found a usage calculator on the ESB website here: https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential-energy-services/reduce-your-costs/web-calculator.jsp

according to that, 10 50W Halogen bulbs running for an average of 40 hours a week will cost €25.62 per 2 monthly billing cycle to run. :eek:

I didn't see an option for LED bulbs, but I'm assuming 4W is the same regardless of what type of bulb you're talking about, so I changed the wattage on the calculator to 4W and the price for 40 hours usage per 2 months drops to just €2.05! :D

so assuming that usage is reasonably accurate, they will have more or less paid for themselves in about 8 months, not to mention i won't have to change them every few months like the halogens due to them overheating. :)

that's correct vibe, it's a good saving. You will still only pay that amount per month, but the savings is due to two two decisions not one, i.e drop off in light intensity and the change of technology. Most people are fine with the drop off in intensity, but for some tasks like reading, it can be an issue.

Stoner wrote: »
    that's correct vibe, it's a good saving. You will still only pay that amount per month, but the savings is due to two two decisions not one, i.e drop off in light intensity and the change of technology. Most people are fine with the drop off in intensity, but for some tasks like reading, it can be an issue.
    i'm actually just as shocked that my maths skills actually held up there. :D

Bingo and Bingo.

Saves money and long lifespan.:D

i'm actually really impressed with them so far.

it's definitely a whiter light than the halogens, but tbh, they always gave off a very yellow light anyway.

they also work fine with our existing dimmers which was great and saved me having to swap them out for new ones.

i'm just going to get a box of 10 of them a month and replace the most used ones first to spread out the cost a bit.

I think some of the lights in the house might actually be 12V spots, either MR11 or MR16 (or possibly both) so I was thinking of swapping those out with these: http://eurosales.ie/images/stories/pdf/MASTER_LEDspotLV_3W_GU4_2700K_MR11_24D.pdf

I think some of the lights in the house might actually be 12V spots, either MR11 or MR16 (or possibly both) so I was thinking of swapping those out with these: http://eurosales.ie/images/stories/pdf/MASTER_LEDspotLV_3W_GU4_2700K_MR11_24D.pdf

to replace 50w you will need the 10w led. They do a 7w version also if you can live with a little less. They are a good bit dearer than the gu10 though

i have 2 in the front room embedded into the mantelpiece above the fireplace uplighting onto a built in mirror on the wall (the landlord really likes his lights! :D) which i'll definitely need to swap out like for like, but there's also about 8-10 of them downlighting under the kitchen units onto the work surfaces, so i was thinking of just replacing them with a roll of LED tape hidden along the underside of the units along the lines of this stuff: http://www.ledtape.co/ just to create a bit of uniform ambient light from under the units.

• Advertisement

i have 2 in the front room embedded into the mantelpiece above the fireplace uplighting onto a built in mirror on the wall (the landlord really likes his lights! :D) which i'll definitely need to swap out like for like, but there's also about 8-10 of them downlighting under the kitchen units onto the work surfaces, so i was thinking of just replacing them with a roll of LED tape hidden along the underside of the units along the lines of this stuff: http://www.ledtape.co/ just to create a bit of uniform ambient light from under the units.

Well 1st of all,you should not do anything until you ask/request permission from you're landlord to alter or fit anything into the house.

Advertisement