Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Kaffy wrote: »
    Congrats Kaffy!

At least you have something to tide you over anyways! :)

Thanks a mil :) Im not sure cabin crew for emirates is very relevant for the Gardai but ill take a fulltime job over part time any day of the week :pac:
    Congrats Kaffy! I'm descending into the exciting world of banking but sure when one door is closed another opens! The very best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭P.C.Plod

Great to see Shatter get a hammering from the GRA today. Hopefully it hits home but I'm sure, as usual, the commissioner will defend the government ministers that control him.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

The GRA has no credibility. At every conference they call for the garda reserves to be scrapped which is a motion no one backs them up on except sinn fein, not even the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    The GRA has no credibility. At every conference they call for the garda reserves to be scrapped which is a motion no one backs them up on except sinn fein, not even the general public.

Did not see it on their agenda for the Reserves to be scrapped, i am sure they know by now this is non runner, and have now taken it on board.

And why would they want to get rid of something that is working, and saving the taxpayers a lot of money, they have them in nearly every other Country so why not Ireland.

Its not a competition between full-timers and Reserve members they should all be working together, its all this bad press people give them that causes this rift between the ranks, instead of you waiting on the panel why not join the reserves and see first hand what the job entails and not be sitting on the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

This is not a thread for discussion of reserves. Back on topic please.

• Advertisement

Shatter makes a statement saying how crime is down and what a great job he has done in office in the first year........
    The next day.....
    Operation Fiacla is rolled out to combat the rise in burglaries.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Pat Rabbitte should have been minister for justice, at least he had and still has some interest in helping out AGS. He was Labours spokeperson for justice before the election.

Shatter is a complete disaster and will cause more problems the longer in office.

The AGS have called on vacancies to be filled by promotion and the morotorium in recruitment to be lifted.
    They also pointed out the defence forces are recruiting and have questioned Shatter on this decision.
    About time it's been said on a large scale with the press about.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

good viewing on the frontline now

Did you notice the change in Pat Kenny once Shatter came on.
    He went from giving out about lack of recruiting and resourcing to setting the Minister up to talk about all the good he's done.
    Don't understand why Pat Kenny was afraid to ask him the questions he was firing off before Shatter came on.
    The price of having a state run network.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

P.C.Plod wrote: »
    He went from giving out about lack of recruiting and resourcing to setting the Minister up to talk about all the good he's done.
    Don't understand why Pat Kenny was afraid to ask him the questions he was firing off before Shatter came on.

I think any hope of recruitment is now dead in the water.

The way they put the stats up from the start it was a complete set up. Half of the stations in the country will end up being closed by the sounds of it.

I have been on the panel since 2008 and i can't see us getting recruited any time soon. I used to put of booking holidays just in case i would get the call.

I'm not wasting any more of my time waiting and wondering. I'm getting on with my life. At least i still have the Reserve which i still enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Kenny is just a puppet like everyone else in Rte, Brian Sherry is a veteran of the force and Kenny just dismissed everything he said like he hadn't a breeze, such a set up.

The same with that couple in Killiney last week, Rte will always support the rich and powerful, it might as well be called the government network.

Yogi is bang on I think, recruitment has been put to the bottom of the pile for a long time to come

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I have to agree. I spent enough energy, time and tears waiting for Ags, and since I pulled the plug an enormous load has been taken off my shoulders. The negatives outweigh the positives at the moment. Couldn't do it any longer but I fully respect those of you that are still waiting x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 username78

Whether panel members pull the plug or not its irrelevant because ye wont be used unfairly so,if they were to take in all 400 numbers would be 14,000 which isnt going to happen,same with those of us waiting to apply we have no hope such is the the debt burden this country has with years of austerity ahead.Im only 22 and I cant see much recruitment before I hit 35,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

Thank GOD this is just a rumours thrend , im on the panel the last four years and until i get a letter too say the panel is been scrapped , ill hang on in there...

rugby wrote: »
    Thank GOD this is just a rumours thrend , im on the panel the last four years and until i get a letter too say the panel is been scrapped , ill hang on in there...

If there are 13,650 now in service, and they want the number down to the 2007 level which is 12,250, cant see any recruitment for a long time, plus after 5yrs you will have to do another medical, so back on the list for that as well, Mr Shatter also said they have 900 reserve members, plus 600 civilian members, with more reserves in training.

bluetop wrote: »
    rugby wrote: »

If there are 13,650 now in service, and they want the number down to the 2007 level which is 12,250, cant see any recruitment for a long time, plus after 5yrs you will have to do another medical, so back on the list for that as well, Mr Shatter also said they have 900 reserve members, plus 600 civilian members, with more reserves in training.

The plan is to get numbers down to 13000 by 2014 not 12250.
    There will still be retirements and everyone on the panel will be redoing medical and PCT. having to do them again is the least of my worries. I'll gladly redo them once I know next time I do it I'll be getting called in.

There will still be retirements and everyone on the panel will be redoing medical and PCT. having to do them again is the least of my worries. I'll gladly redo them once I know next time I do it I'll be getting called in.

That dont make any sense to me, why bring them down to 13,000 and then start recruiting to bring them back up again, is that not defeating the whole purpose of reducing the numbers.

That dont make any sense to me, why bring them down to 13,000 and then start recruiting to bring them back up again, is that not defeating the whole purpose of reducing the numbers.

They agreed a number of 13000. Once it falls below or near to that they will have small intakes to steady the number. There will always be retirements.
    If they don't recruit to keep numbers up then the force will dissappear.
    What's so difficult to understand????
    The negativity on this site has really taken over. Everyone just wants to whine and moan by stating or in some cases making up government policies.
    You never what will happen, the pressure Shatter is getting from all round him, he is regarded as one of (if not the) worst ministers for justice ever and is not very sympathetic towards the AGS.
    Maybe he will buckle and call a small intake, maybe he won't.

They agreed a number of 13000. Once it falls below or near to that they will have small intakes to steady the number. There will always be retirements.
    If they don't recruit to keep numbers up then the force will dissappear.
    What's so difficult to understand????
    The negativity on this site has really taken over. Everyone just wants to whine and moan by stating or in some cases making up government policies.
    You never what will happen, the pressure Shatter is getting from all round him, he is regarded as one of (if not the) worst ministers for justice ever and is not very sympathetic towards the AGS.
    Maybe he will buckle and call a small intake, maybe he won't.

So the Government stick to their agreements that's a new twist on it, at the present time the government dont have a pot to pee in let alone keep to any agreements, but hay who knows what will happen in the future, maybe we will all win the lottery as well, keep the faith!.

Ps Mr Shatter does not hold the purse strings, he cant get money from thin air, and can only work from within the budget he is given.

PCPlod there will be retirements as you say but when there was no recruitment 30 years ago for something like 5-7 years there's going to be few or little retirements in next five to ten years added to fact gardai will hang on for longer once eligible to retire.numbers could be over 13,000 by 2015 in fact id guess they will be.
    I know of one station where they've been told to cut down on photocopying to save money,recruitment wont happen for a long time and will be miniscule at best if it does.
    While what I say sounds negative if I was to say that they were going to recruit soon and in large numbers I'd come across as mad,you cant win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Hi all in the Panel, I've posted in a few other threads on AGS recruitment etc, I'm currently waiting to do my medical for the Reserve, joining the GR with a view to joining AGS full time once recruitment opens up again...

Does this panel have a certain lifetime like the Dublin Fire Brigade panel recently had? Have you been assured of entry to the next batch of trainees?

Hope you're all well and hang in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Delta Alpha

this is awkward......:rolleyes:

djor88 wrote: »
    Hi all in the Panel, I've posted in a few other threads on AGS recruitment etc, I'm currently waiting to do my medical for the Reserve, joining the GR with a view to joining AGS full time once recruitment opens up again...

Does this panel have a certain lifetime like the Dublin Fire Brigade panel recently had? Have you been assured of entry to the next batch of trainees?

Hope you're all well and hang in there!

What chance does any of us have,panel or non panel the mess this country is in. Realistically,they cant recruit many for a good few years unless they want numbers to go back to 14,000 and above.
    I applied for Defence Forces and speaking to current members they expect it to be last recruitment for a long time given age profile of army,its the same with AGS a young force.Even,if we had money would they recruit many given the accelerated recruitment that preceded recession.
    Im my old secondary school I know of at least four from a class of 30 that joined AGS at the same time pretty much straight after l.c such was the level of recruitment.

Hey guys,
    Just a quick rumour i heard, I took it with a pinch of salt but thought I'd share.
    Apparently there are plans of an intake in October. Heard from a retired guard that now gives grinds for garda recruitment exams.
    Here's hoping

Hey guys,
    Just a quick rumour i heard, I took it with a pinch of salt but thought I'd share.
    Apparently there are plans of an intake in October. Heard from a retired guard that now gives grinds for garda recruitment exams.
    Here's hoping

:D the country dont have a pot to pi** in, so i think pigs might fly quicker ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

:D the country dont have a pot to pi** in, so i think pigs might fly quicker ! :D

+ 1 .

I might add that to put it bluntly a person who gives grinds/lessons for Garda entrance purposes is the last person I would listen to when it comes to assessing the next intake or recruitment drive - if there was ever a vested interest in getting folks to think that recruitment is about to pick up then he is it.

I honestly doubt if even Commissioner Callinan knows when the next intake will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Hey guys,
    Here's hoping

i was in templemore 2years ago and the training staff were gearing up for a new intake........

.................theyll be waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kdarragh

Alright lads hows the form? I'm in the same boat as many of you ( on the panel with everything completed ). I just want to clear up the position the minister finds himself in on recruitment. Due to the EU/IMF bailout agreement all sectors across the public service have to TRY to reduce numbers to a certain amount (Gardai-12500) by the end of 2014. Minister Shatter stated at the last passing out ceremony on the 16th of June last that " the earliest he would consider a new batch going down to templemore would be the end of 2012". Now numbers will not be at 12500 by the end of 2014, the Minister knows this. However this does not matter. As long as the Minister does not have people passing out of Templemore between now and then he's a happy man as numbers can only go down. His hands are tied on recruitment.

The reason behind recruits at the end of this year/start of 2013 is that we will not passout of Templemore untill the start of 2015 which is after the Minister has to produce his final numbers to the Troika. The aim is to get all of the agreed numbers across the public sector as low as possible by the end of 2014 so we can get the last payment of the bailout. I have good contacts, none of which have heard anything about recruitment since the Ministers statement in June 2011. They are all of the opinion that recruitment will happen in the next 10-14 months ONLY if we are to go through the old 2 year process. Also just a quick comment on the lifetime of the panel, we will be kept unless the new 8 month course comes into play. If there is no recruitment between now and this time next year I would strongly advise we all get a full driving licence, first aid course and swimming badges. I honestly cannot see them keeping us past the end of the year but look, all we can do is wait. We have done everything asked of us. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thelongwait08

Hey Guys,
    what are you're views on needing a first aid cert and swimming as part of the application process, surely AGS would want to train their recruits in first aid themselves as i know alot of the first aider courses are basic and its pretty impossible not to pass the test to get the cert at the end...... swimming badges also im sure over 2 years you could learn to swim in templemore otherwise whats the point of having the pool in the college?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

Hey Guys,
    what are you're views on needing a first aid cert and swimming as part of the application process, surely AGS would want to train their recruits in first aid themselves as i know alot of the first aider courses are basic and its pretty impossible not to pass the test to get the cert at the end...... swimming badges also im sure over 2 years you could learn to swim in templemore otherwise whats the point of having the pool in the college?

It's not a requirement for application is it? i thought it was just something that the selectors like to see.

I don't know this for sure if this is their reasoning, but....if you have already done the occupational first aid cert then you only need to do a one day basic refresher course to be re-certified. if you don't have a cert, they have to give you 3 days of full training.

That may have nothing to do with their reasoning. It may have something to do with commitment. The guys who have done their training with us as part of their application to the gardai have been pretty switched on, committed people who were very self motivated. that's just something we've noticed personally, and maybe it's something the recruiters have picked up on. I don't think it's anything to do with first aid. I'm sure it would equally apply to people who do any courses to improve their chances of a place.

Advertisement