Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thelongwait08

i understand that these requirements are all great things to have but to overlook someone for not having them is a bad system, some people are terrible drivers and they might not pass their test but that shouldn't stop them from following a career as they may never ever need to drive a squad car,

why would someone who can swim need to go and get swimming badges?

out of curiosity how often, when and where are the first aid courses available and how much does the 3 day course cost?

also what condition is everyone in fitness wise, has everyone kept up a program incase they get the call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 --Ryaner--

How's things lads
    I'm a serving reserve myself the last 2 years I hear alot of stuff about Recrutment from the full time lads i work with and skippers and supers and I'm hopeing to go full time if and when,
    The latest rumour Iv heard was that there was some meeting and the idea for the future Recrutment was going to copy what the Brits are doing with there special constable (reserves) and that there was going to be a 25 at a time intake to start off,

But as everything was just a rumour lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 username78

--Ryaner-- wrote: »
    How's things lads
    I'm a serving reserve myself the last 2 years I hear alot of stuff about Recrutment from the full time lads i work with and skippers and supers and I'm hopeing to go full time if and when,
    The latest rumour Iv heard was that there was some meeting and the idea for the future Recrutment was going to copy what the Brits are doing with there special constable (reserves) and that there was going to be a 25 at a time intake to start off,

But as everything was just a rumour lads

I know two gardai who attended retirement courses there late last year,I asked them both to see what they could find out about recruitment to see if they would be told the same.One was told future intakes would be around 50 max taken in and the other was told 'a fraction' of the intakes they had before,either way it amounts to the same thing,they're going to be very small as they were told they wont get funding for a bigger class,hardly a surprise.

Well hopefully any Recruitment is good news at this stage,
    I think that anybody on or off a panel should sign up to the reserve it makes perfect sense for them to look into Recruitment from the GR if they want to save money and you would have fully trained Gardai on the streets in half the time it takes to recruit and process fresh people new to the organisation and all my full time colleages and superiors think the exact same, I myself am in full time employment and doing the reserve when I can it's hard at times but I sacrifice alot to keep my hours in check and my return of work, iv seen alot and dealt with alot of situations that sometimes are not very nice but that's all part of it and joining the reserve made me realise that it's 100% the career I want, of course after 2 years iv still a hell of alot to learn and experience I was lucky with the unit and skipper I have they all 100% support me in my duties and that makes all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mac22

Well hopefully any Recruitment is good news at this stage,
    I think that anybody on or off a panel should sign up to the reserve it makes perfect sense for them to look into Recruitment from the GR if they want to save money and you would have fully trained Gardai on the streets in half the time it takes to recruit and process fresh people new to the organisation and all my full time colleages and superiors think the exact same, I myself am in full time employment and doing the reserve when I can it's hard at times but I sacrifice alot to keep my hours in check and my return of work, iv seen alot and dealt with alot of situations that sometimes are not very nice but that's all part of it and joining the reserve made me realise that it's 100% the career I want, of course after 2 years iv still a hell of alot to learn and experience I was lucky with the unit and skipper I have they all 100% support me in my duties and that makes all the difference.

I dont think there will be any need to recruit fresh people as there are alot of us on a panel ready for selection, all aspects of recruitment complete, in my opinion there will be limited recruitment this year, small numbers though, the government need to do this as they are under alot of pressure from different sectors to fill vacancies.... just my opinion though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

mac22 wrote: »
    In my opinion there will be limited recruitment this year, small numbers though, the government need to do this as they are under alot of pressure from different sectors to fill vacancies.... just my opinion though.

Not with the amount of members there are at the moment, i cant see any recruitment until the levels are well down, regardless of pressure put to bear, as there is no money to do this, as you can see from the levels below, they are still way above where they want them to be.

How many Garda Members are there?

There are 13,603 members of An Garda Síochána. These are broken down per Rank as follows:

Commissioner: 1

Deputy Commissioner: 2

Assistant Commissioner: 8

Chief Superintendent: 38

Superintendent: 148

Inspector: 284

Sergeant: 1,945

Garda: 11,177

Total: 13,603

Figures valid as at 31.3.12.
    http://www.garda.ie/FAQ/Default.aspx?FAQCategory=12#FAQ1710

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

I dont think there will be any need to recruit fresh people as there are alot of us on a panel ready for selection, all aspects of recruitment complete,

even at that there is a chance that time is working against you

in my opinion, the longer you linger, the more ground you are losing the GR to its members

just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭P.C.Plod

https://www.facebook.com/CampaignToRestartGardaRecruitment

I know its not much but the more people that like this the more publicity it will get

I dont think there will be any need to recruit fresh people as there are alot of us on a panel ready for selection, all aspects of recruitment complete, in my opinion there will be limited recruitment this year, small numbers though, the government need to do this as they are under alot of pressure from different sectors to fill vacancies.... just my opinion though.
    Well to be quite honest i would not hold my breath on that panel,
    If they do decide to still honer it when recruitment starts up again out of the 300 on it id say less then half wont take it.
    i can guarantee if they re-interview one of the questions they will ask will be,
    "With the slow down in recruitment i assume your in the reserve" and if its a no answer id say u be told well u must not be that interested in becoming a garda.

Just my opinion

If they do decide to still honer it when recruitment starts up again out of the 300 on it id say less then half wont take it.
    i can guarantee if they re-interview one of the questions they will ask will be,
    "With the slow down in recruitment i assume your in the reserve" and if its a no answer id say u be told well u must not be that interested in becoming a garda.

Just my opinion

First of all, how can you guarantee something and then back track to say its your opinion at the end?????
    Judges would have a field day with you in court if you ever make the guards.
    Secondly, why would they re-interview people???
    If anything pct and Medicals will be redone.

Don't post nonsense,

Just my opinion

• Advertisement

Do you think they are going to keep the panel indefinitely, if they keep it after this year it will be a miracle, also when it does come to the recruitment again rest assure the question will be asked why people have not take the opportunity to join the Reserve force.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just my opinion

That is a very simplistic view of things, to be honest. Fair enough, if you have been sitting on your arse doing nothing else for the last few years then it will be most certainly be a drawback if you have not bothered to join the reserves.

However, if you are like many people whereby you have been continuing education and keeping down some work alongside volunteering in certain organisations then you may not simply have the time to dedicate to the Garda reserve. If that is the case you will be pointing to the activities you have been undertaking (showing that you have a life outside of An Garda Síochána, which is important) and you may imply that you simply could not commit to the reserves as you felt you would not do the role justice due to not having the time to commit.

The reserves are very important - but I am no so sure if it is right to go as far in saying that involvement is a perquisite for enrolling in An Garda Síochána. It all depends on what you have been up to prior to recruitment - if you have had the time to set time aside for the reserves then great. If not I cannot see it being held against you.

Also, don't forget that those interviewing you will not have come up through the reserves.
    bluetop wrote: »
    Do you think they are going to keep the panel indefinitely, if they keep it after this year it will be a miracle, also when it does come to the recruitment again rest assure the question will be asked why people have not take the opportunity to join the Reserve force.

Maybe I am just a pessimist, but I think it will most definitely be scrapped. HR have not been working particularly hard to keep it up to date, indicating (in my view) that they may be thinking that it will not come into use. For those of you on the panel at the moment though, I dont think you need to be really worrying if it is actually scrapped. You guys should walk back onto a new panel I would imagine after showing enthusiasm and dedication to join all these years after the moratorium. I think creating a new panel might just be an easier way for HR to figure out who is actually left over from the old panel (i.e. it forces you to get in touch to express interest rather than HR having to contact everyone on the current panel).

P.C.Plod wrote: »

Just my opinion

First of all, how can you guarantee something and then back track to say its your opinion at the end?????
    Judges would have a field day with you in court if you ever make the guards.
    Secondly, why would they re-interview people???
    If anything pct and Medicals will be redone.

Don't post nonsense,

Just my opinion

"I can guarantee IF"

And iv been to court several times on my own cases and assisting my full time colleges with there cases, and I can assure you the only field day the judge had was at the defendant!

Just my opinion

That is a very simplistic view of things, to be honest. Fair enough, if you have been sitting on your arse doing nothing else for the last few years then it will be most certainly be a drawback if you have not bothered to join the reserves.

However, if you are like many people whereby you have been continuing education and keeping down some work alongside volunteering in certain organisations then you may not simply have the time to dedicate to the Garda reserve. If that is the case you will be pointing to the activities you have been undertaking (showing that you have a life outside of An Garda Síochána, which is important) and you may imply that you simply could not commit to the reserves as you felt you would not do the role justice due to not having the time to commit.

The reserves are very important - but I am no so sure if it is right to go as far in saying that involvement is a perquisite for enrolling in An Garda Síochána. It all depends on what you have been up to prior to recruitment - if you have had the time to set time aside for the reserves then great. If not I cannot see it being held against you.

Also, don't forget that those interviewing you will not have come up through the reserves.

Maybe I am just a pessimist, but I think it will most definitely be scrapped. HR have not been working particularly hard to keep it up to date, indicating (in my view) that they may be thinking that it will not come into use. For those of you on the panel at the moment though, I dont think you need to be really worrying if it is actually scrapped. You guys should walk back onto a new panel I would imagine after showing enthusiasm and dedication to join all these years after the moratorium. I think creating a new panel might just be an easier way for HR to figure out who is actually left over from the old panel (i.e. it forces you to get in touch to express interest rather than HR having to contact everyone on the current panel).

Will I suppose there are alot of other things you can get involved with of course like criminology and community work and all that,
    But I do think for personal hands on experience of AGS the reserve is the best option to see the ins and outs of the job the real work involved and procedures involed with everyday stuff that a class room will never teach you.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

For those of you on the panel at the moment though, I dont think you need to be really worrying if it is actually scrapped. You guys should walk back onto a new panel I would imagine after showing enthusiasm and dedication to join all these years after the moratorium. I think creating a new panel might just be an easier way for HR to figure out who is actually left over from the old panel (i.e. it forces you to get in touch to express interest rather than HR having to contact everyone on the current panel).

What about anyone on the panel over 35. They can't apply again. This wont happen at all setting up a new panel. I wont take much for HR to contact us all and find out. Even if only half take up the offer thats 150 people, which will be enough for the next two years at least.

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    What about anyone on the panel over 35. They can't apply again. This wont happen at all setting up a new panel. I wont take much for HR to contact us all and find out. Even if only half take up the offer thats 150 people, which will be enough for the next two years at least.

Anyone that is over 35 in the reserve force have a better chance, as they are members of AGS and can be promoted from within the force with no age restriction, if you are on the outside you will have little or no chance of that happening.

As for HR contacting people cant really see that happening if they recruit from within the force, can you !

And 150 people been recruited at this time or in the next 3 yrs cant see that happening any time soon either.

The age limit of 35 applies on date of application. This was asked numerous times in Dail Eireann and assurances have been given that those over 35 are still eligable to be offered a place.
    Anyway, there is a seperate forum for reserves and reserve banter.
    You believe what you want and we'll believe what we want.
    Time will tell, but from what I've heard there will be no direct route or "promotion" to Full time from reserves. You will have to apply like everyone else and go trough the whole process, you will have experience on your side if you get as far as the interview and your background checks will be faster but you have to get that far first.

The age limit of 35 applies on date of application. This was asked numerous times in Dail Eireann and assurances have been given that those over 35 are still eligable to be offered a place.
    Time will tell, but from what I've heard there will be no direct route or "promotion" to Full time from reserves. You will have to apply like everyone else and go trough the whole process, you will have experience on your side if you get as far as the interview and your background checks will be faster but you have to get that far first.

Assurances from Dail Eireann your having a laugh now, along with the rest of the country, they cant tell at the min what is going to happen tomorrow never mind in the future.

This is nothing to do with reserve banter, this is just a discussion over all aspects be it full time or not.

Remember one thing and i have said it before, reserve members are all ready part of AGS, so the whole process would just be a promotion to a higher level, and like any employer its always done in house first, as im sure you and others well know.

"but" as you say time will tell, can you afford to take that risk of it not been in house recruitment, and not be part of it, for the sake of joining up, i know i would not, a dealt hand is better than no hand at all in my books.

Exactly nobody knows what way it's all gonna go all we can do is wait and see till then it's a guessing game with this government!

Assurances from Dail Eireann your having a laugh now, along with the rest of the country, they cant tell at the min what is going to happen tomorrow never mind in the future.

This is nothing to do with reserve banter, this is just a discussion over all aspects be it full time or not.

Remember one thing and i have said it before, reserve members are all ready part of AGS, so the whole process would just be a promotion to a higher level, and like any employer its always done in house first, as im sure you and others well know.

"but" as you say time will tell, can you afford to take that risk of it not been in house recruitment, and not be part of it, for the sake of joining up, i know i would not, a dealt hand is better than no hand at all in my books.

I know what your saying but some people genuinely don't have the time to do it. I know I couldn't possibly fit it in at the moment.
    I also know 3 people on the panel that weren't accepted to the the reserves, for what ever reason I don't know.

• Advertisement

I know what your saying but some people genuinely don't have the time to do it. I know I couldn't possibly fit it in at the moment.
    I also know 3 people on the panel that weren't accepted to the the reserves, for what ever reason I don't know.

Iv come across people on the panel that are to big headed to apply for the reserve they think there 100% safe in getting the Gards and think the reserve is a big joke beleave it or not.... Just goes to show how pig headed a and shallow some people are out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 username78

Lads,not everyone can join the reserve there's only max 1300 places..so fact your not a reserve wont go against you imo when recruitment comes around.it's a pity there's so much fighting on this about the future of garda recruitment when I think we can all admit its very bleak.even when recruitment begins are they going to take in 100's and push numbers well above 13,000 and towards 14000???intakes of 50 or less I've heard and others have.
    New roster,young force,country is broke no sign of recession ending,not many retirements in the distant future the list is endless I could go on so if we could all get on because after the next campaign most if not all of us who post here will have to apply again with so few vacancies available so if we could all get on it'd make it much easier especially when the arguments are like a revolving door..:D

username78 wrote: »
    Lads,not everyone can join the reserve there's only max 1300 places..

They are still recruiting for Reserve members so maybe someone should tell HQ that, as i am sure they have well achieved that amount.

So if they where not accepted to the Reserve force, what makes them think they are going to get a full time position.

So if they where not accepted to the Reserve force, what makes them think they are going to get a full time position.

What????????
    They are on the panel and have completed everything. Do you understand the recruitment process?
    They have pressed the exams, the interview, the background checks, the medical and the pct.
    Don't make statements for the sake of it.

What????????
    They are on the panel and have completed everything. Do you understand the recruitment process?
    They have pressed the exams, the interview, the background checks, the medical and the pct.
    Don't make statements for the sake of it.

So big deal because they have passed the exams mean's diddly, they have still not been recruited have they, or been offered a place, just because you are on a panel and have passed everything does not give you the sole right to a place, things change goal posts move as well everyone knows, so with all that passed and they still could not get into the Reserve force.

I think you are doing that with that silly comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tommi78

I can see this thread being shut down like the last "waiting room for the panel" the sort of rubbish bickering of "Opinions" closed the last one and it will destroy this one also. It is no real wonder a lot of great contributers to these threads just dont bother anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭redno.3

So big deal because they have passed the exams mean's diddly, they have still not been recruited have they, or been offered a place, just because you are on a panel and have passed everything does not give you the sole right to a place, things change goal posts move as well everyone knows, so with all that passed and they still could not get into the Reserve force.

I think you are doing that with that silly comment![/QUOTE

I think you are very wrong there!

Passing all stages does give you a right to a place, that is what the recruitment process is for, it might change in the future but we have done everything that was asked of us in applying.

I have nothing at all against the reserves but I think your extremely naive to think you can just jump from the reserves to the full time force, it does not and should not work that way.

Thats my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thelongwait08

hi guys i was just on the garda website there and i never noticed this before has it been changed at all to any of your knowledge

http://www.gardacollegelms.ie/file.php/1/Frontpage_images/College_Courses_2010/SP_Faculty_Courses1.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

I feel the panel will be re-evaluated. They may keep some places for reserves and panel members. Therefore not everyone in the current panel will get in. Either will every reserve.

However I do feel while the panel is still there then they have just as much of a chance as a reserve has. Reserve has the experience however the panel is still active therefore they will have to have places put aside for panel members and reserves ... then again they don't have to do anything!

Advertisement