Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Try paying a mortgage!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,704 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Pastures new beckon.
    I wish you the best of luck. The feeling of being released from misery of waiting, and the uncertainty of will they/won't they scrap the panel with you still on the thing (!) is enough to drive anyone insane.

Again, very best of luck in your new venture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 u s e

For what my opinion is worth Gracie,I think your right.My family who are serving gardai have made enquiries with gardai who work in HR,there's not even a whisper of recruitment.the response my dad got was 'anyone looking to join ags will need age on their side' because the future outlook is bleak,numbers aren't going to drop considerably below 13,000 any year soon,the Govt aren't going to make u -turn and increase numbers.even if Shatter wanted to bring in a class Brendan Howlin mightn't let him.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

im 25, the age limit is 35. By the way things are looking, I wonder if time is on my side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 keep itreal

ghost86 wrote: »
    im 25, the age limit is 35. By the way things are looking, I wonder if time is on my side!

same here,there will be recruitment before you turn 35 but not much,AGS arent going to reduce numbers by at least 1500 and recruit a number anywhere near that.

next time there'll be any meaningful level of recruitment could well be when those from period of acclerated recruitment retire,thats how dire things are
    Obama has promised to return if re-elected so that'll be another big hole in Garda budget sometime within next 5 years if hes re elected,great!!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

As much as panellers say were not putting our lives on hold we are. The reality is that I need a decent wage and a solid career not just a 'job' to tide me over until Templemore opens. I have a great degree, great work experience and a solid head on.my shoulders so its Agss loss! It took a lit if soul searching for me to decide enough is enough but I just couldn't do it anymore. I will continue to check in here and keep an eye on things but without any vested interests anymore thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

I've recently turned 25 as well and it has got me really thinking about things career-wise (quarter life crisis I think!)
    The waiting for recruitment has been frustrating, but It's out of our control.
    I'm currently waiting on results for an interview for another dream job so it's looking like if I get that,i will stick with it. Unless they recruit before I turn the big 3-0, then AGS as a career path is off the cards for me.

Best of luck Gracie,tough decision to make!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

best of luck to you Grace..25 myself and was lucky enough to get a job related to my degree while stuck in this limbo. but I know ill have to make a difficult choice down the road and to be honest I'm not looking forward to it!
    What you did makes a lot of sense, can't move forward with consistently being held back thinking what if the call comes next month. Can't believe we are into our 4 year of waiting now.. joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Obama has promised to return if re-elected so that'll be another big hole in Garda budget sometime within next 5 years if hes re elected,great!!!!:rolleyes:

guarantee the gards wont agree to foot the bill if it comes round again, they will make sure of that. only a fool gets caught twice!!

thekopend wrote: »

guarantee the gards wont agree to foot the bill if it comes round again, they will make sure of that. only a fool gets caught twice!!
    Precisely why they'll prob end up doing it again. It's a comedy of errors. For a thread full of budding detectives I don't know how nobody has figured out that Gracie equals CJ!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Precisely why they'll prob end up doing it again. It's a comedy of errors. For a thread full of budding detectives I don't know how nobody has figured out that Gracie equals CJ!!!![/Quote]

I knew all along, I just wanted to let someone else get it, haha, best of luck in whatever you do, tough call to make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 keep itreal

Even if they dont foot it directly it'll be less money for Govt to spend on other areas such as garda recruitment.
    Like panel members here,I'm going to move on 99.99% of us who apply next time will be unsuccessful such will be volume of applicants and few vacancies,slan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Precisely why they'll prob end up doing it again. It's a comedy of errors. For a thread full of budding detectives I don't know how nobody has figured out that Gracie equals CJ!!!!

I had my suspicions!;)

Not to drag this thread off topic,but would you now consider the Reserves?

A couple of years ago, I completely dismissed it as an idea but given the circumstances and after doing my research, it's something I'm now pursuing.

spudz21 wrote: »

I had my suspicions!;)

Not to drag this thread off topic,but would you now consider the Reserves?

A couple of years ago, I completely dismissed it as an idea but given the circumstances and after doing my research, it's something I'm now pursuing.
    Call it a social experiment :D I'm not quite sure at the moment about the Reserves, but the hours in my current job are great so it might be something I consider once I'm settled. The wait just got too much for me and I couldn't do it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

shatter has announced 150 intake for november,its in the sindo today!!!! FINALLY!!! :D:D:D

Sunday Independant Crime

shakin wrote: »
    shatter has announced 150 intake for november,its in the sindo today!!!! FINALLY!!! :D:D:D

Sunday Independant Crime
    I don't believe you considering todays date!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

shakin wrote: »

Sunday Independant Crime

You will have to get up very early to catch us out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

kojack wrote: »
    You will have to get up very early to catch us out

just checkin your still on the ball :)

limboninja wrote: »
    To be fair, there is an agreed desired level of strength for both An Garda Siochana and the Defence Forces that the government has committed to. Problem for us is that there is a long way to go before An Garda Siochana need to be in a position to recruit again in regards maintaining that strength level.

Put it like this then....There saving 2.5 million by disarming detectives who have guns and adding 600 to a neutral army

I see the defence forces website says they are now accepting applications for recruits for they army and navy, so frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 u s e

On the plus side,its good news on the job front but great point Lenn disarming detectives and recruiting troops that will never be involved in a war.Think they are looking for 600 in total..I dont even think AGS will be looking for 600 this decade.As Sierra Oscar said it'll be long time before AGS need to recruit,numbers about 13,600..if they took on 600 numbers would 14,200 that's not going to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭P.C.Plod

Numbers are 13551,
    more or less on course with plans....Strange to see less now than what was there in 2007 when Shatter was screaming for more gardai.
    I find it funny that the last government did officially lift the recruitment ban on gardai but Shatter constantly blames them for the moratorium.

The Minister noted that “Garda strength at the end of February 2012 is expected to be 13,551 based on current projections. This is very close to the strength at the end of 2007 (13,755). This recent reduction in numbers must be seen in the context of the programme of real and substantial reform which is being delivered in An Garda Síochána under the Croke Park Agreement. I would like to compliment all members of An Garda Síochána for the significant reforms that have been introduced in recent times. I have the fullest confidence in the Commissioner and the members in continuing on the delivery of this reform and on the commitments in the Garda Síochána Policing plan for 2012.”

Put an application in for the naval service last night, made the age limit by a month, see what happens now

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

I fail to see the connection between a guard and a member of the navy? The only connection i can see is that you will be wearing a state uniform. But apart from that they are two completely different lifes.

Becoming a butcher or a petrol pump assistant would have more in common with a guard than a sailor as you'd be interacting with the community and you'd probably see more action in them jobs just by pure chance than out at sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

Put an application in for the naval service last night, made the age limit by a month, see what happens now

I'm sorry but this might burst your bubble, but you do know the age limit is the date you start training not the date you apply, Best case scenario if you are successful you will start training in July but if you are 27 by that time then you wont be allowed to join.

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    I fail to see the connection between a guard and a member of the navy? The only connection i can see is that you will be wearing a state uniform. But apart from that they are two completely different lifes.

Becoming a butcher or a petrol pump assistant would have more in common with a guard than a sailor as you'd be interacting with the community and you'd probably see more action in them jobs just by pure chance than out at sea.

well becoming a guard isn't going to happen in the near future so why not? you don't know me, you don't know my interests, are you saying you're going to never try for a different career path, I'll remain on the panel but I want my options open

CIGANO wrote: »

I'm sorry but this might burst your bubble, but you do know the age limit is the date you start training not the date you apply, Best case scenario if you are successful you will start training in July but if you are 27 by that time then you wont be allowed to join.

well if that's the case then bubble burst,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

2wsxcde3 wrote: »

Warning issued for trolling.
    No further conversation on this.
    Back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kaffy

Hey Guys

Just popped in to say that i got a new job in Dubai so Im moving there in 4 weeks :)
    But im definitely still hoping for the Gardai!
    Good luck to everyone and ill defo be looking for updates while im away!
    :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Kaffy wrote: »
    Hey Guys

Just popped in to say that i got a new job in Dubai so Im moving there in 4 weeks :)
    But im definitely still hoping for the Gardai!
    Good luck to everyone and ill defo be looking for updates while im away!
    :)

Congrats Kaffy!

At least you have something to tide you over anyways! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kaffy

Congrats Kaffy!

At least you have something to tide you over anyways! :)

Thanks a mil :) Im not sure cabin crew for emirates is very relevant for the Gardai but ill take a fulltime job over part time any day of the week :pac:

Advertisement