Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭thelongwait

Out of interest, what is the longest time between an intake in An Garda Síochána since the foundation of the force? Anyone know?

I have heard they went 7 years in the 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 u s e

and thats why there's going to be little or no retirements until at least 2020 when those that joined in the nineties become eligible to retire,there cant be many retirements for this decade left after March when they were was recruitment ban in 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭blueforce

u s e wrote: »

and thats why there's going to be little or no retirements until at least 2020 when those that joined in the nineties become eligible to retire,there cant be many retirements for this decade left after March when they were was recruitment ban in 80's.

A big problem the full timers are finding at the minute (amoungest EVERYTHING else!!) is a thing they call Celtic Tiger Guards. Guards who got in during the mass recruitment a few years ago and really just aren't suited to do the job. People who thought it would be a handy number and a job for life. Now I'm in no way saying everyone is like that but I've seen people in my own station who say themselves this isn't for them

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Ive just been offered a new job, and am also confident of getting another job offer in the next few weeks. On panel, Ags has always been the dream but I'm totally stuck now. Reason being both prospective jobs have two year contracts that are v hard to get out of. I know everyone is going to say I'm daft for thinking of rejecting job offer but the way my life goes ill probably get a call about Ags on first day of my new job :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

Ive just been offered a new job, and am also confident of getting another job offer in the next few weeks. On panel, Ags has always been the dream but I'm totally stuck now. Reason being both prospective jobs have two year contracts that are v hard to get out of. I know everyone is going to say I'm daft for thinking of rejecting job offer but the way my life goes ill probably get a call about Ags on first day of my new job :o
    Go with the new job , we've been on the panel for the last four years no one knows what's going too happen. I'd take the job with both hands if I was you

• Advertisement

rugby wrote: »
    Go with the new job , we've been on the panel for the last four years no one knows what's going too happen. I'd take the job with both hands if I was you
    Thanks Rugby, I think Im going to take it. A close friend of mine has been on panel for paramedics since 2008, he emigrated to Oz before Christmas as hed given up hope. He flew home last week as he got called for his medical!!

well anyone anything too report this thrend gone fierce quiet :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 toptrumps

Anything to report???????????
    How about, Im turning thirty in a few weeks, I was TWENTY SIX when I applied ;-(
    Can anyone say depressed???

toptrumps wrote: »
    How about, Im turning thirty in a few weeks, I was TWENTY SIX when I applied ;-(

No need to take the head off me , jes sorry i opened my mouth

toptrumps wrote: »

I don't think he/she meant to be offensive to be fair! More conversational!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 toptrumps

Hey rugby, apologise if it came accross as a swipe at you,
    Totally not what I intended. Was more a light hearted joke if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 limboninja

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0315/1224313320257.html

Wouldn't this just depress the life out of anyone? How the F*ck can they justify 600 into a neutral army, never mine the €85 million investment while garda numbers and working conditions go from bad to worse. If the GRA dont go ballistic with this they really will be every bit as useless as half the gardai i know make them out to be!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

limboninja wrote: »

Wouldn't this just depress the life out of anyone? How the F*ck can they justify 600 into a neutral army, never mine the €85 million investment while garda numbers and working conditions go from bad to worse. If the GRA dont go ballistic with this they really will be every bit as useless as half the gardai i know make them out to be!!!

To be fair, there is an agreed desired level of strength for both An Garda Siochana and the Defence Forces that the government has committed to. Problem for us is that there is a long way to go before An Garda Siochana need to be in a position to recruit again in regards maintaining that strength level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 u s e

Shatter has said he wants to keep Defence Forces around 9,500 but hasnt given a figure for AGS,we all know number cant exceed 13,000 but what number will they let it drop to before recruitment??
    Strange he can give exact number for army and not AGS.

To be fair, there is an agreed desired level of strength for both An Garda Siochana and the Defence Forces that the government has committed to. Problem for us is that there is a long way to go before An Garda Siochana need to be in a position to recruit again in regards maintaining that strength level.

Put it like this then....There saving 2.5 million by disarming detectives who have guns and adding 600 to a neutral army. And to be perfectly honest I've only ever seen them when there was a big snow!! Its a joke! When I read this it just really ticked me off!!

When I read this : http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/sw-irish-crime.php and then read the article in the Irish times it just sickens me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Put it like this then....There saving 2.5 million by disarming detectives who have guns and adding 600 to a neutral army. And to be perfectly honest I've only ever seen them when there was a big snow!! Its a joke! When I read this it just really ticked me off!!

When I read this : http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/sw-irish-crime.php and then read the article in the Irish times it just sickens me!!

It's crazy alright, maybe shatter is living on the hope that all the scum just wipe each other out! nothing would surprise me at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

And now Shatter wants to recruit Police from PSNI!!!!!! No money for new recruits, no money to promote senior long serving Gardai but has money to recruit British police to work in the Republic. I just don't understand FG at all.

tweedledee wrote: »
    And now Shatter wants to recruit Police from PSNI!!!!!! No money for new recruits, no money to promote senior long serving Gardai but has money to recruit British police to work in the Republic. I just don't understand FG at all.

I'm open to correction but what i got from this is that when a position has to be filled under special circumstances with the embargo still in place that they can be filled by members of the psni.

They still would have to go through the selection process for the job, like a transfer i suppose, I'm sure members of the Gardai would move to the psni too if there was a promotion involved.

The vacancies can be filled if shatter signs it off, pity the clown wont sign the papers for some fresh blood!

I'm open to correction but what i got from this is that when a position has to be filled under special circumstances with the embargo still in place that they can be filled by members of the psni.

They still would have to go through the selection process for the job, like a transfer i suppose, I'm sure members of the Gardai would move to the psni too if there was a promotion involved.

The vacancies can be filled if shatter signs it off, pity the clown wont sign the papers for some fresh blood!

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-police-force-now-free-to-recruit-senior-officers-from-Northern-Ireland-142604266.html

UNBELIEVABLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

Sorry, but not true at all Sierra Oscar.
    The Irish government havn't signed anything that requires them to keep Gardai or Defence numbers at specific levels. The ECB and IMF just don't work that way. They want to see cuts across the board and they don't care where the cuts come from. They want to get value for money.
    It's a politician created myth that it's the Troika who are DEMANDING that Garda numbers are to be at 13000 and DF at 9500. Alan Shatter and his colleagues in Finance / Expenditure are actually responsible for these figures, they just want to blame somebody else. The former deputy head of the IMF recently clarified this on TV3.
    Why have they not given specific numbers for teachers, nurses, doctors, paramedics, consultants etc etc??? There are no specific numbers. The government of the day decides who, how many and when to recruit into public sector.
    Problem is, the savings made in some departments are being spent by others such as pay increases and salary top ups in Department of Taoiseach, and in banking but you won't hear the Troika moaning about that because the Troika is almost 100% made up of former bankers and politicians.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

Its very easy to justify the DF are below 9000 personnel and need at least 9500 to operate effectively. That is not to say that AGS aren't understrength or overworked but it should be known that the DF were the only organisation who had their numbers cut during the celtic tiger and apparently one of the few organisations in this country that kept within their budget during the good times this coupled with the fact that the government made some money over the last few years by selling military barracks then the recruitment is well justified and deserved.

You should look at this as a positive, because I also heard the prison service are recruiting aswell which means Garda recruitment in the near future is a high possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

It's a politician created myth that it's the Troika who are DEMANDING that Garda numbers are to be at 13000 and DF at 9500. Alan Shatter and his colleagues in Finance / Expenditure are actually responsible for these figures, they just want to blame somebody else. The former deputy head of the IMF recently clarified this on TV3.
    Why have they not given specific numbers for teachers, nurses, doctors, paramedics, consultants etc etc??? There are no specific numbers.

Just a small correction, but it was actually Dermot Aherne, and not Alan Shatter who are responsible for these figures.

These figures are coming from the FF Government 4 year National Recovery Plan (where Garda numbers are stated), which FG are continuing to implement.

The current goverment can indeed make changes to this (and have done so already), but for every Euro extra spent in one area, another euro must be saved somewhere else...

The Troika don't care where the savings come from, as long as savings are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mick3001

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0319/shattera.html

Alan Shatter's house was broken into last night! Hopefully this might make him see sense that more gardai are required!!

mick3001 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0319/shattera.html

Alan Shatter's house was broken into last night! Hopefully this might make him see sense that more gardai are required!!

I bet that was someone on here, haha

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

I think he was arrested at the scene. We'll probably see a reintroduction of hanging bill rushed through the dail this week.

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    I think he was arrested at the scene. We'll probably see a reintroduction of hanging bill rushed through the dail this week.

they'll all be too tired after their holidays to do anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

A good deal of ' hot air ' has been spouted on the area of Garda / PSNI transfers - fact is that only a tiny number of transfers ( as distinct from very short term secondments ) have happened , apparently differences in the respective pension schemes is the reason for this initiative going largely nowhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Were seeing the effects of no recruitment now combined with stations closing too... skerries, lusk, rush and balbriggan have had dozens of houses broken into over the last two weeks, same MO, knock the door late in the evening, nobody answers, in and out and escape in a car, gardai have no resources to answer the callouts and by time they reach one house, another 3 will have been done in the same area, gardai end up driving around chasing shadows as more houses get hit in the SAME TOWN!!! Shatter needs to get money for the DOJ today. Locals are moaning about the lack of response, but what can the gardai do with only a couple cars and bods to cover the whole of fingal!?

I rang hr on Wednesday and officially took my name off the panel! Pastures new beckon. Adios to the twisted powers that be. Ahh freedom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

I don't understand why someone would do that but you know your own mind best i guess. Best of luck in your new life :)

Advertisement