Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 toptrumps

Totally agree cj, I was hesitant enough to believe him but did so in the end.
    Dont know when this will all end for us.
    I know its been said plenty of times before but we have effectively put our whole lives on hold waiting for this.
    Had i been told after my physical that it would be three + yrs id have bought my house and got on with living my life.
    But no ive wasted three yrs not going on holidays 'incase the call comes' renting so can up and head down to templemore at the drop of a hat etc etc.
    Its beyond frustrating at this stage.
    On a slightly more positive note Ive booked myself onto a course starting in two weeks.
    Psychology of criminal behaviour. Keep the brain ticking over for a while I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Where is that course? Hearing that you're the same as me is so comforting! I have some days where I'm just so fed up with the whole thing. I'm a remarkably positive person, given the various trials and tribulations that life throws but this situation messes with your head hearing conflicting reports etc. I like you am renting, my boyfriend and I have debated buying in the current market but have been waiting for me to get my 'career'. Factor in also school enrolment for kids, not knowing where my base will be, hesitating before I renew my contract at work etc. Us panellers living in turmoil, granted there are so many out there crippled by the state of the nation but our situation is just so unpredictable. One positive is that when we do walk through that gate in Templemore, it'll be straight down to business and a positive investment for ags. I cant see anyone dropping out having waited this long!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mac22

Only found this thread today, hello again to all my fellow panel members, we'r not beaten down yet!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

rumours started that the DFB panel has been scrapped.

anyone heard this news?

if its true, its big big news

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056528050

(this post is intended to be helpful and not inflammatory.much love)

It was in hartstown CJ and Ive just put down the phone to them after being informed 'due to lack of numbers the class will not be happening'
    Well thats just super ;-(
    I feel for you cj, with the rent/buy dilemma looming.
    Ive a 6yr old girl myself, and it doesnt make things easier constantly playing a guessing game!
    Think staying positive is all we have left at this stage!
    welcome mac22

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

FG are playing games at the moment. They have a strategy in place for sure that will see them cut cut cut for a period of time and low and behold you will see that in the run up to the next election FG will sing their own praises by saying how much money they saved and then they will start public sector recruitment campaigns to show the voters how much they care. Shatter will say that he managed, all by himself to get recruitment up and running again,coincidently just before a major election.
    They couldn't care less about the crime rate rising or the looooooong waiting lists for hospital beds, FG are here for several more years so cutting back means nothing to them, it's only when an election comes around that you will see the weeds in your front garden. I was slagged off a year ago when I said that electing FG will be the worst thing to happen to front line services in 20 years.But soo many people were singing the praises of the great Shatter!! Now the voters are reaping what they sowed. FG are the party of big business and wealth, two sectors that will be well protected under FG.Just look at the sly smirk on Enda Kenny's face in the Dail today as he spoke about paying unknown, unsecured banking gamblers. Thank you.

Did anyone watch coppers on channel four last night? Behind the scenes of new recruits first day on the job in scotland, very interesting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kaffy

Hey i think i might be pre-panel; i got my lovely letter saying i passed my interview back in sept 2008 and im still waiting.....

Its nice to find this thread and to see the other thread is gone - it got very stressful and is why i havent been back in so long.

Im still trying to hold out hope for an intake this year :)
    Hope everyone is doing well!

Welcome back kaffy! The more the merrier in the glass cage of emotion!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

Anyone know where todays announcment (that the final number of garda retirees by the end of feb will be 300) will put the current number of guards by 1st March?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

approx 13500.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

Mr Shatter was on the six one news. He said hes bringing a proposal before government in the next month requesting the appointment of an appropriate number of guards to fill senior vacant posts. He didn't mention recruitment per say, unless he decides to tack some initiative about recruitment onto this proposal we'll find out in the next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tomswift

I know how you feel but you should be glad that you got as far as a medical and a pct. I got a letter in September 08 saying that I passed the Interview. Haven't heard anything since then.

But I totally agree when you in regards of an Acknowledgement of some sort. It's a total lack of respect and common courtesy that they don't drop us a letter or an email explaining what the situation is instead of relying on newspapers and Internet forums for all our information.

Hi everyone,

I'm in the same boat, passed interview in Oct 2008 and have'nt heard one word since. I joined the reserves in 2007 to help give me an insight into how the full time job would be. Have been enjoying it immensely....

However, as the last few years have passed, I've become concerned that the current panel will not be taken on. My other concern is that I'm now 36 and I will not get another chance to apply.

I too have had my life on hold for the past 4 years and am now wondering do I need to choose another career path and with the economy in the state its in, thats not going to be easy.

Tom I really feel for you in your situation.
    I was 26 applying, I never had a problem with the age limit back then. Im turning 30 this year, and while I genuinely do believe I wont be waiting another five years and possibly loose my shot, Im genuinely becoming concerned about starting a new career at this stage.
    Id gladly join AGS at any age, But I dont want my age holding me back from anything whatsoever.
    The thoughts of another career in this economy are horrible. But its the thought of loosing out on my dream career as a member of an garda that really gets to me these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Will der be any word of an intake in dail debate while they're getting approval on promotions today i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Will der be any word of an intake in dail debate while they're getting approval on promotions today i wonder?

no.

Manners cost nothing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It was only brought up at the cabinet and is not due for discussion in the house itself.

thats the kind of helpful response I was hoping for! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 yogi16

The discussion on crime rates increasing or otherwise and its effect on the Irish citizen have no relevance. Its all about the almighty euro! Spend less, do without. The Gov has done it in social protection and health. Do you really think they care if there are not enough Gardaí to respond to a public order incident? Shatter should work a week of nights in a station with limited resources and that would change his tune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

when was the garda panel started and when did it get frozen?

seems the DFB one was formed in 2007, shelved with the moratorium (08 or 09 ish) and has now been scrapped in 2012

WilcoOut wrote: »
    when was the garda panel started and when did it get frozen?

seems the DFB one was formed in 2007, shelved with the moratorium (08 or 09 ish) and has now been scrapped in 2012
    You're obsessed with dfb panel. This panel was formed mainly of people who did the various stages in or around 08 or were offered places and deferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭P.C.Plod

Some people are obsessed with the panel being scrapped and negativity is pushing in everywhere.

I was talking to an ex Chief Super at the weekend (Very close family friend) who always worked on the recruiting panels and still checks up from time to time to see of any movement.
    He said there are no talks of scrapping the panel and they have no intentions on scrapping this panel like they never scrapped panels before.

Just wait patiently and it will come to us.

Reserves will not be recruited directly and the changes made to future intakes does not affect the panel as it doesnt affect the course. Its just a way of cutting back on applications.

The sh1t will hit the fan and soon enough and Shatter (worst justice minister ever) will panic and need to call the panel to keep people happy.
    This will also happen in nursing and teaching.
    The real aim of all these cuts in staff to get rid of alot of the admin staff sitting on their arses doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

P.C.Plod wrote: »
    He said there are no talks of scrapping the panel and they have no intentions on scrapping this panel like they never scrapped panels before.

Please refer two posts up. They have indeed scrapped panels, such as the DFB.

By the way, I'm not saying they will, or they should. However, it is a possibility. Lets hope for the people on the panel that they do go down this route, but it is not unthinkable, given the precedent set in the DFB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 u s e

My dad is a current senior garda working in HQ and I can tell you that if there is to be recruitment this year or next it will be from the panel believe me or not.
    DFB is run by Dublin City Council so it doesnt apply to any garda panel which is under the remit of Dept. of Justice.The prison service panel established in 07/08 is still been used..does that mean garda one will be kept?No or it doesnt mean it wont be.until panel members get letters ye are safe.
    There is no word of recruitment among top gardai or govt..hard to see recruitment in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭P.C.Plod

Geansai wrote: »
    P.C.Plod wrote: »

Please refer two posts up. They have indeed scrapped panels, such as the DFB.

By the way, I'm not saying they will, or they should. However, it is a possibility. Lets hope for the people on the panel that they do go down this route, but it is not unthinkable, given the precedent set in the DFB.

Should have made it clearer, I was referring to panels for recruitment to AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭blueforce

u s e wrote: »
    My dad is a current senior garda working in HQ and I can tell you that if there is to be recruitment this year or next it will be from the panel believe me or not.
    DFB is run by Dublin City Council so it doesnt apply to any garda panel which is under the remit of Dept. of Justice.The prison service panel established in 07/08 is still been used..does that mean garda one will be kept?No or it doesnt mean it wont be.until panel members get letters ye are safe.
    There is no word of recruitment among top gardai or govt..hard to see recruitment in the next few years.

To be honest I don't think anyone knows for sure, not even the commissioner. Everything is just hear-say. One person says the panel has been scrapped, next person says the panel are secretly being fitted for uniforms. One person says the reserves are being scrapped, someone else says there getting guns. It's all a waiting game until we hear anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mouse pad

Like others in this thread I'm also on the panel but whilst waiting I've kept my options open work wise. What I am wondering is that has anybody moved jobs whilst on the panel and/or changed address? If so, have they notified Garda HQ. Has anyone kept HQ updated if their circumstances has changed??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 u s e

Your right blueforce take everything with pinch of salt,I know gardai that say it'll be 2016 before they recruit because certain units will be disbanded and redeployed to mainstream policing,new rota ,force been reduced to 12,000 etc but I cant see it been that long,hopefully wont be

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Out of interest, what is the longest time between an intake in An Garda Síochána since the foundation of the force? Anyone know?

Advertisement